Start by marking “Disowned (Allegiance #1)” as Want to Read:
Disowned  (Allegiance #1)

Disowned

(Allegiance #1)

One desperate girl, one courageous family, one sacrifice to save them all.

When Kyraenean slave Celeste risks her life to reach the free nation of Etraea, a country filled with technology and wealth, she unknowingly sets off a chain of events that will change her life forever.

After escaping her new owner, Celeste awakens in the home of an Etraean soldier, sworn to protect t
ebook
Published September 14th 2017 by Sarah Addison-Fox (first published August 26th 2017)

R.F. Gammon
This book wasn't a loud, dominating book.

It wasn't an incredibly explosive, streaking star kind of book.

No, Disowned stands out in its quietness, its hominess, its drive to depict a family full of love. It may not be as ambitious as the Lunar Chronicles or as violent as the Blades of Acktar, but that's okay.

Disowned is, first and foremost, I think, a story about family.

It's about the family Celeste seeks without realizing it and the one she finds. It's about how your loved ones can heal so many
Sarah Grace Grzy
DAHHHHH! 12 billion trillion stars!! Review to come when I can think clearly. ;)
Kate Willis
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Me: *opens book to see if it’s any good* Me hours later: *still reading*

Since this is the first book in the series, I can tell that a lot of things are still being set up, but I’m already enjoying the medieval-ish feel of the fantasy world. Ethan, Maggie, and the children were such sweet characters! I especially liked how Ethan was portrayed as strong but also sensitive. I felt all the suspense in the first few chapters (and even when Mick came home) deeply. The sense of hiding, waiting, and da
Lila Kims
Going into this book, I hardly had a doubt in my mind that I was going to like it. I make that assumption a lot, and this time, I wasn't disappointed at all! (I guess the only reason it isn't five stars is that it's such a quiet book. It didn't slam me to the ground and scream in my face with its awesomeness. But it was still REALLY, REALLY good.)

Also going into this book, I didn't quite know what I was expecting (other than loveliness). It was one of those that even though I may have read the s
Katie  Hanna
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Thoughts:

- Ethan and Maggie are a sweet couple. <3
- Mick = #nothanks #y'allcanhavehim
- I really admire Celeste for her independence. That girl knows what's up and she won't let anybody push her around. Me like. *nods*
- Can't she marry Asher tho?? I LIKE Asher. He's funny and down-to-earth.
- Also, I really hope Celeste becomes a soldier in the next book. To heck with convention. Let her realize her potential. She's good at this stuff.
- The setting is . . . quite interesting, really. It's
Karis
When one of my close Goodreads friends messaged me asking if I would like to alpha read for her, I said yes a bit fearfully, not sure what to expect out of her debut novel. What if the writing was horrible or I didn’t like the plot? I would be stuck reading it! And how would I politely say I disliked it to my GR friend that I had become close with over the past couple of months? Let me just say that I shouldn’t have worried. I. Loved. This. Book! Loved it! The night Sarah added to Goodreads and ...more
Mikayla
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: two-stars, distopian
I picked this book up for free on Kindle, and I am very glad I didn't pay for it.

First off, here are some things I did like about the book:

1. The characters were very vivid. They shined through the pages, making you feel like you knew them personally.
2. The writing style was solid. It kept me turning the pages.
3. I loved Mick's family. They were awesome, lovable people.

What I didn't like so much:

1. The number one reason this book got such a low rating for me was all the references to nudity.
Ivie
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
*This book was free on kindle as part of a celebration of the author's birthday. I snagged it while it was free.

Another day, another book review. This book had a lot of ups and downs for me.

Story World

The story world was unique. Two countries that border each other, one has slaves, the other is where slaves escape to hide.

Plot

The plot follows the main character, Celeste, as well as the family she finds herself in. The book has multiple point of views, all in third person. Celeste has many ups a
Victoria Lynn
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Review coming. . .
Deborah O'Carroll
(Review originally posted on my book blog: https://thepagedreamer.wordpress.com/...)

What a unique, enjoyable book!

The story kept me absorbed and guessing, and it’s a nice mix of action/thrilling, and life sequences with character moments. There’s a dash of romance which was alternately cute and frustrating—just say what you mean, already, characters! (The usual. ;)) It could be raw and real and emotional and deal with war and things, but also be lighthearted and fun at other times. Quite balance
Gray Cox
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow.

This book is so unique in so many ways. I echo the thoughts of other reviewers when I say how quaint and sweet it is.

It's not flashy or loud and booming like so many books are nowadays, instead it lets the storyline prove itself. And prove itself it does.

Simply beautiful.
Katelyn Buxton
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another reviewer mentioned that this book stands out for its quietness and homeyness, and if that isn’t a good description of Disowned, I don’t know what is. It’s not action-packed, full of heroes that never go wrong, no—it’s filled with real people living real lives with real problems. I was invested in Celeste’s life from the very beginning, since the story begins in medias res, and once she found herself in a home with people that didn’t see her as an object—and in fact wanted nothing more fo ...more
Angela R. Watts
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was gripping (I read it one sitting, y'all...).
The writing style was fun and easy to follow.
The story and themes are realistically portrayed and strong. I was always interested and things flowed evenly. There were a few 'major' decisions that I had some issue with but nothing that I can't give leeway to, considering the characters/motivations overall.
The characters were awesome -- good and bad characters, they were well done. While I adored them... there were some times where I got a
Victoria Lynn
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Review to come after publication. . .
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie-books
4.5 stars *I received a free copy in exchange for my honest review*

First, Sarah's from New Zealand, which means not only is the book chock full of British spellings, but there are also awesome British styled words. Like "smelt" instead of "smelled" or "learnt" instead of "learned". I loved it!

The book does say "d- it" twice, which might not be a bad word in New Zealand. She also uses "bloody", which isn't bad here in the U.S. Just a caution.

But the book was very good. Sadie and Joe were pretty c
Grace Morris
I loved this book soooo much!!! It was sooo good!!! 5 Stars!!! =D

This book was everything I wanted it to be. Small bits of action. Lovable characters. Believable world. Great writing style.

One of the biggest themes in the story is family. We have this very lovable family who still had flaws and arguments and problems. But they were always able to make it right with one another, they still loved one another. I really loved Sandi and how she made Celeste a hand drawn picture to try to help her fee
Abigail
OKAY. I have calmed down and had time to chew on this story and now I think I can write a review. Maybe. We'll see how this goes.

series playlist here: https://open.spotify.com/user/mylittl...

First thing to be made aware of: I read this book in one day. The whole thing. In a day. A day where we went to Disney, too. But during the two hour round trip and when I got home (and immediately crawled into bed with this book in hand), I devoured this story and I loved every second of it.

The characters w
Nicki Chapelway
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a story! Wow, this is such a different story than what I've read before. I liked that it was a fantasy world, but one on the cusp of the industrial era with electricity and technology, I've never come across this before.

This story is a little slower than most stories that I usually read, but it still has plenty of interesting scenes, and I was left turning the pages unable to put it down, not knowing what would happen next.

I would have to say that Mick was probably my favorite character. He
Shantelle
This was such a great fantasy book - I'm utterly intrigued to see what happens next! Disowned by Sarah Addison-Fox follows the life of a slave girl and the dear family who takes her in. It had action, suspense, tenderness, and some budding romance. I love the characters (though disappointed with the path Celeste's on) and can hardly wait to see how their lives progress. I was thrilled to see that there's a solid faith aspect, by all appearance. And ... yes! I'm just excited about having discover ...more
Britt
Though 'Disowned' is a fantasy novel by a New Zealand author, I feel like big aspects of the plot can easily be applied to slavery in the USA's own history.
I'll admit that, yes, the first chapter was a little hard for me to sink into right away, but once I did, the characters and imagery became so real to me that it was quite incredible, I LOVE the overall plot — as I said above, it definitely reminds me of slavery in the USA's own history — and the characters, especially Celeste and Mick, felt
Claire Banschbach
Re-read 8/18: just as fun and engaging as the first time! Loved getting back to these characters and excited to finally move on to book 2!!
~
So I will admit that this book started out a little slow for me. But by chapter 4-5 it just took off! Don't get me wrong, the first chapter is a really gripping and strong start, so I think it might have been me that took some extra time to read.

Celeste was a great character, but I didn't really feel like I connected with her as much as I wanted to. We star
Ashley Bogner
Thank you very much to the author for giving me a copy of her book for review!

First of all— I have to stop and say that cover is SO PRETTY.

Okay—on to the review! :)

I thought Disowned was a good read! It’s a sweet story of love and redemption, the story of a runaway slave and a soldier.

One of the things I particularly liked was how distinct Mick and Celeste’s character voices were. They come from different background, and their narratives were spot-on. Sometimes in books that switch between cha
E.B. Dawson
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie-authors
4.5 stars!

I enjoyed this story. A lot of indie books I read tend to struggle with pacing, but this story was spot on in pacing for its genre and themes. The prose was solid, leaving me confident in the author's storytelling and patient to let her take me wherever she wanted.

It is a fantasy story, but the way the story is told reminded me very much of historical fiction. I appreciated the focus on the value of human life. And Celeste's mistrust and struggle to find her identity was very realisti
Audrey Caylin
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review to come closer to blog tour :)
Kellyn Roth
Original Review in December 2017:

AGH IT IS JUST SOOOOO GOOD AND SAD AND AWESOME I CAN'T EVEN BEGIN.

I'm giving it 4.5 stars because I felt that the end was extremely sudden and left me with an unsettled feeling (even though I do realize there will be further books ... can't wait for that!).

Full Review in January 2018:

Originally posted on Reveries Reviews.

Title: Disowned

Author: Sarah Addison-Fox

Series: Allegiance, #1

Genre: Christian Fantasy Adventure (though I’d say more dystopia but in a fantasy
Janeen Ippolito
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this low fantasy, AU wartime story. It grabbed me from the start and didn't let go. I'm looking forward to reading more of this series!
Leila Tualla
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
These are the kinds of books that I like. The quiet, unassuming ones with faith and courage as the biggest themes, but has action, a dash of romance and enough mystery for you to be invested in these characters and their lives.
This fantasy world of Etraea and Kyraenea, two different countries and a girl, Celeste, trapped and caught in between piqued my interest from the get go. I loved that an Etraean mother who had essentially rescued and healed her, had her own ties to Kyraenea. The family dy
R.J. Rodda
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
If you like non-magical fantasy with a strong dash of romance about a girl who fights against incredible odds to find freedom and her place in the world, then this is for you.

Celeste is a slave girl who yearns desperately for more. When she dramatically escapes a cruel buyer, she finds a warm and loving family who accept her. If you like the rare stories that show a consistently warm and loving family where the husband and wife are in one accord throughout, you will find this here.

Celeste's int
Erika Mathews
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I definitely enjoyed this book. The characters and setting were excellent. I realize that this is Book one of a series, but I personally don’t appreciate when a book ends as abruptly as this one - no sort of wrap up of any of the various plot lines or warning that the end is coming. Still, the story was wonderful, despite some minor grammatical deficiencies. I especially enjoyed The worldbuilding of the two unique and distinct countries.
« previous 1 3 next »
YA Addicted Book ...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Meet Our Author ~ Sarah Addison-Fox 12 18 Oct 01, 2018 07:51AM
YA Addicted Book ...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Book Discussion~ Disowned 6 14 Sep 25, 2018 07:50AM
Allegiance Series: * Disowned 3 17 Jan 30, 2018 04:31PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please delete edition 5 209 Jun 20, 2017 09:08PM

• Captive of Raven Castle
  • Of the Persecuted (Legends of the Woodlands, #1)
  • The Seahorse Legacy (Eyes of E'veria #3)
  • The Rise of Aredor (The Rise of Aredor #1)
  • Rose of the Oath: A Beauty and the Beast Novella (Legends of Light # 1)
  • Fallen Star (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #7.6)
  • Pendragon's Heir
  • Hebbros (Companions of Arcrea, #1)
  • A Gathering Tempest (Broken Tides #0.5)
  • Half-Blood (Ilyon Chronicles #0.5)
  • Truth (Makilien, #1)
  • The Midsummer Captives (Firethorn Chronicles #2)
  • A Dream Not Imagined
  • The Lord of the Clans
  • The Fatal Tree (Bright Empires, #5)
  • The Tithe
  • Thief (Fairy Tale Bad Boys #3)
  • All That Remains Box Set
Sarah Addison-Fox is a New Zealand-born misfit who writes action-packed fantasy with a smattering of punch ups, mega amounts of romance and a dash of family values.

Allegiance (4 books)
  • Dissemble  (Allegiance #2)
  • Dissociate (Allegiance Series, #3)
  • Discerned (Allegiance #4)