Start by marking “Breaking Chaos (The Chasing Graves Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Breaking Chaos (The Chasing Graves Trilogy, #3)

Breaking Chaos

(The Chasing Graves Trilogy #3)

The endgame has begun.

The battle for the emperor’s throne grows ever fiercer. The City of Countless Souls cowers behind locked doors as the whims of the downtrodden and the powerful bring the great game of Araxes to its chaotic conclusion.

With the soulblade at his hip and magic in his soul, Caltro’s freedom is almost within reach. But as Temsa reign of murder clashes
Published March 14th 2019 by BenGalley.com

To ask other readers questions about Breaking Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking Chaos

Start your review of Breaking Chaos (The Chasing Graves Trilogy, #3)
Adam
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the signs of knowing that you’re reading good series is realizing how much your perception of it has changed over time. Chasing Graves introduced me to a world without hope, where the rich dine on the poor, and where death is no escape from an eternity of torture and indentured service. Grim Solace offered a shred of hope that there are still values worth fighting for, and people worthy of taking on that fight. Breaking Chaos is the payoff we’ve been waiting for. It is a cathartic release ...more
Filip
This review originally appeared over at: http://booknest.eu/reviews/peter/1477...

Breaking Chaos is the brutal, climatic ending to one of the finest dark fantasy trilogies in recent memory. If you haven’t read the previous entries in the series, do yourself a solid – get them!

In this final volume of the Chasing Graves trilogy, Ben Galley sees each of the myriad plotlines built over Chasing Graves and Grim Solace come to their fruition: Caltro Basalt, thief, locksmith and body-hopper extraordinair
Rusty
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breaking Chaos is the third and final book in the Chasing Graves trilogy by Ben Galley. This is a non-spoiler review for those who have not read the first two books. (If you haven’t read the first two books, please, PLEASE do pick these up!!!)

The first two books introduced readers first to a thief and locksmith named Castro Basalt. He is a strangely loveable guy, especially in contrast to a whole litany of despicable, self-serving others, ranging from the nobility to the merchants and to the rel
Queen Terrible Timy
This review was written for Grimdark Magazine.

I've got an ARC from the author in exchange of an honest review.

The roads to Araxes' throne are painted by blood. The endgame has begun, secrets are revealed, allies turn into enemies, fates collide. Chaos breaks out (yes, pun intended) and until the very end it's hard to say who'll claim the title of Emperor or Empress. Breaking Chaos brings a satisfyingly bloody closure to the Chasing Grave trilogy, one which won't disappoint those who followe
Michael Sliter
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
The conclusion of the Chasing Graves Trilogy, Breaking Chaos was the strongest of the outings.

Finally, the threads of several storylines came together. Caltro makes some big decisions. Nilith FINALLY arrives at the capital and reveals her plan. Temsa continues to do crazy stuff. I'm not giving away spoilers, but I was happy with the ending. Not many series are able to wrap so neatly, but Galley pulls it off. I think the door is still open in case of a follow-up series.

If you've liked the other
Lukasz
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fitting end to the trilogy.
Justine
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whys and what-ifs plague a soul throughout life and in death. It is human to mourn the past, and to curse the way time slips through our fingers like sand, impossible to catch or reclaim.

The City of Countless Souls holds its breath as is stands upon the precipice of chaos as factions war for power on all sides. With deceit and treachery leading everyone astray, and blood flowing freely throughout sprawling streets, the knotted mysteries buried under the sands of Araxes begin to unravel and final
Scott  Hitchcock
Book 1: 4*
Book 2: 4*
Book 3 4.5*

Great series. If you're a fan of Blackwing or Low Town this is far superior IMO. I'd put it up there with Scourge of the Betrayer and the Bloodsounder's Arc series. Definitely a fan of Mr Galley and will read more by him.
Laura Hughes
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A spectacular end to one of the darkest and funniest trilogies I've ever had the pleasure of reading. All hail Caltro Basalt!
Lynn K : Grimmedian
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
A crashing end to a fantastic trilogy. Concluding the battle for Araxes, this book is filled with plots upon plots in the vying for power of the City Of Countless Souls. When chaos erupts, we find both humor and determination within the story. Bloody, witty, and satisfying. Ben Galley has written an outstanding, action filled tale of death and justice.
Audrey
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
First of all I must say the chasing graves trilogy is an outstanding story. An Empire where being dead is only the beginning of your problems, where dead can be owns as property and thus as an value of power.
But alas the story has a few flaws , hard to be overlooked.
The main protagonist Caltro revealed himself as a fickle person who only part to the story was running everywhere and complaining a lot. I found difficult to stand him in the last book.
The plots were hard to understand and even blur
Shane Shumaker
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The third and final piece of Galley's newest story is by far the best piece of work he has written thus far. The pace is fast and addicting. The humor is subtle, but genius. There is action and betrayal on par with GoT. Breaking Chaos is the final nail in a coffin that redefines "Ghost stories", and it is one hell of a ride!
Vaelin
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A satisfying conclusion to a highly enjoyable series that I think most grimdark fantasy fans would enjoy.

The ending leaves the door ajar for a return to this city/world. There are plenty more locations to explore and the possibilities for additional tales are plenty.

Bravo for Mr Galley in releasing the complete trilogy in a short space of time, without forsaking quality.
Kristen
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full review is here, on my blog!~

Oh Caltro. What a fun character. In this last volume, Caltro is so, so near freedom, even if it’s dead freedom. Boss Temsa and the Widow Horix have had him bouncing back and forth between them, but the dead gods that have appeared to brighten his days every now and then to continue to tell him that he has an important job to do. So, he and his faithful (and mostly-inanimate) sidekick Pointy may have to save not only the day, but everyone and everything as well.

Me
Thor Krarup
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breaking Chaos is the culmination and last book of the trilogy, Chasing Graves by Ben Galley. It manages to wrap up the storylines from the two previous books and deliver a satisfying conclusion to the over-arching story.
What stood out to me in this book is how well written it is, the language is accessible, and it required very little effort to get immersed in. Ben Galley employs multiple different PoVs in order to tell his story. In my opinion this works because the PoVs have their own distin
Tanmay Gambhir
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-2020
Chasing Graves Trilogy
Welcome to Araxes, where getting murdered is just the start of your problems. For in Araxes, the dead do not rest in peace in the afterlife, but live on as slaves for the rich. a new dark fantasy trilogy. Inspired by Egyptian mythology and packed with dark humour and action tale of ghosts, sorcery and meddling gods.

A person who longs to change the past will only see themselves as a product of what could have been. The longing changes nothing of the present”

Pros
1. Hard ma
Jonathan Pembroke
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indie
Breaking Chaos picks up with the three ostensible protagonists (frankly, the only three major characters in the books I could really stand) in dire straits, and proceeds with how they're going to work their way out of those dangers. Characterization and narrative continue to be the strong points here. Several characters earn their well-deserved fates, for better or worse.

I thought the pace of the first two books was uneven but this one had a rapid march to the bloody finish and tense action mome
Chip
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ben is slowly turning into one of my favorite authors. This was a satisfying conclusion to a really inventive trilogy. Lots of twists, turns and baddies. Very dark, but a decent level of humor.

Highly recommended!
Diogo
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a ride. What an ending. I wanted to get that out front and center in case it's the only thing anyone ends up reading. If you stick around for the next few lines I'll try to explain why.

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review, which follows, free of spoilers.

First off, it bears mentioning that the Chasing Graves Trilogy was never slow. The first volume begins with bloody murder and doesn't exactly ever apply the brakes. That means, of course, that Grim Solace begins w
Dorian
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The author released all three books in this trilogy within a span of a few months, and perhaps that’s why I think of this series as one big story, rather than three smaller ones. That’s how I’m going to talk about them. Consider this a review of the entire series.

I was quite impressed with Galley’s standalone fantasy Heart of Stone, so I had high expectations for these. I’m happy to say that those expectations were exceeded in every way.

I’m a curmudgeon when it comes to prose quality, and I abso
OldBird
A satisfying conclusion to this dark fantasy series. Another slow-paced pot-boiler of a read, but one that pays off as all the plots unravel and our misfit heroes and villains find their place in the murky world of the Arc.

Without going into too much detail because that would be a spoiler-fest, the conclusion ramps up the epic part of the epic fantasy. Yes, battle will be fought, wills will be tested, and moral compasses will need to be checked multiple times. Every character still alive gets t
Peter Buckmaster
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-grimdark
A fantastic end to an excellent and highly original trilogy. I finished this yesterday and felt wholly satisfied with how Ben Galley wrapped it all up. Seriously, what a climax! All the major character threads are resolved and I'd be surprised if anyone felt short-changed. It was one of those books I closed and gave it a pat, a gesture I believe signals my feelings.
I can understand if some people felt Nilith's journey was long but I personally never felt bored, and would go so far as to say she
Rachel R
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Allan Batchelder
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After reading various entries in a number of authors' series, it was nice to sit down and devour an entire series without interruption, and I can't think of or imagine a better choice -- congratulations to me!

There is one major spoiler in this review, but I don't see any way around it. Our protagonist, a not-so-humble locksmith/thief, dies in the opening pages of book one. As if that were not unfortunate enough, he has died in a culture that enslaves the ghosts of its dead. So, essentially this
Anders Haywood
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow.

This book was a fantastic ending to this series! It was so filled with action and plot twists, it makes the first two books seem empty by comparison.
I can't really go into the plot details in order to avoid spoilers, but it did not disappoint. In some trilogies the ending can be somewhat anticlimactic. Not so here. Whenever you're certain you have an idea what is going to happen, you get thrown for a loop.
I am sorry that this is the end, though. It's been such a ride that I'm going to miss
Gary Milligan
Mar 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Honestly, it's just a bit dull, and not a single character has anything worth calling a personality. I found it to be one of those books where you are constantly checking how much more there is to go, and by the time I got to 50% I realised I didn't care enough about a single one of the characters or story lines to finish it. Now, all the pay off may be in the final half of the final book of the trilogy, but it's such a struggle to get that there I may never find out, and unlike anything with an ...more
Nigel P
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And what wonderful chaos it is

Another superb book from Ben Galley, a very brutal ending (as has already been said) but it’s also Darkly funny, with a fair amount of tongue firmly stuffed in cheek - a bit of theme throughout the Chasing Graves trilogy. I loved it, the completely dysfunctional society, the links with the ancient Egypt pantheon, the almost (but not quite)over the top brutality and the sheer inventiveness. Awesome.

Whatever you do, start at Book 1 and just don’t stop.
Clinton Harding
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A satisfying ending to a rollicking trilogy. Although the entire story is grim and dark, there is a wonderful amount of hope. That comes from the characters, who the readers cares about all the way through. All if not most of the plot is tied up nicely by the end and Galley earns that ending. The reader nevers cheapened by the answers or outcomes delivered. "Breaking Chaos" is nonstop action but there is a lot of heart and it's well paced. If nothing else, and there is a lot of good here, Galley ...more
Alexander Collas
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a long series, not in length but in reading. The author was very expressive and spent quite a bit of time bringing you into your surroundings. Some don't like that, I do. The plot at first seemed simple but boy was that a misdirection as like a symphony it continued to grow in strength and power until it reached an explosive ending well worth the read and time invested in the books. I can see this series not being for everyone, but then too many series often try to please everyone and o ...more
Milan
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty good ending for an entertaining series. I liked that all the storylines have been resolved even if some of them seemed a bit rushed. Overall it was an excellent story with engaging and intriguing characters and an interesting world. Caltro and Nilith have been my favorites. Ani as well, but I didn't like how she ended up, and besides the fact that she killed Temsa I didn't like how his story ended as well.

Still I enjoyed reading this series immensely.

• Sin Eater (Iconoclasts, #2)
  • Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)
  • Along the Razor's Edge (The War Eternal, #1)
  • Black Stone Heart (The Obsidian Path, #1)
  • Never Die
  • Smoke and Stone (City of Sacrifice, #1)
  • Kings of Heaven (Ash and Sand, #3)
  • The Trouble with Peace (The Age of Madness, #2)
  • Kings of Ash (Ash and Sand, #2)
  • The Sword of Kaigen
  • The Lessons Never Learned (The War Eternal #2)
  • From Cold Ashes Risen (The War Eternal, #3)
  • The True Bastards (The Lot Lands, #2)
  • Priest of Lies (War for the Rose Throne, #2)
  • The Lost War (Eidyn #1)
  • Kings of Paradise (Ash and Sand, #1)
  • The Black Song (Raven's Blade, #2)
  • Aching God (Iconoclasts, #1)
Get The Iron Keys, an exclusive, FREE short story set in the world of Emaneska when you sign up to Ben’s Guild Newsletter.

Ben Galley is an author of dark and epic fantasy books who currently hails from Victoria, Canada. Since publishing his debut Emaneska Series, Ben has released a range of epic and dark fantasy novels, including the award-winning weird western Bloodrush and standalone novel The

The Chasing Graves Trilogy (3 books)
  • Chasing Graves (The Chasing Graves Trilogy, #1)
  • Grim Solace (The Chasing Graves Trilogy, #2)

News & Interviews