Start by marking “Watching Glass Shatter” as Want to Read:

Watching Glass Shatter

The wealthy Glass family lost its patriarch, Benjamin Glass, sooner than expected. Benjamin’s widow, Olivia, and her 5 sons each react to his death in their own way while preparing for the reading of his will. Olivia receives a very unexpected confession from her late husband about one of their sons that could shatter the whole family.

Prior to revealing the secret to her c
Paperback, Large Print, 278 pages
Published October 8th 2017 by Creativia

James
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
* Since this is my own book, I'm not really going to write a review. I'm using this space to let everyone know when there are discounts or giveaway options. *

** To buy this book, please go to Amazon. *****

*** Check out the blog tour for this book where you can see each blogger's posts with author Q&A, special features, videos, and future release information. Visit my author page for more information. ***
Mischenko
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
See my interview with the author and full review @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2017/...

Watching Glass Shatter by James J. Cudney is one of the best books I’ve read in 2017. It’s a debut novel about a family with secrets. These secrets have the potential to tear the family apart.

The matriarch of the family is Olivia. Her husband Ben, the patriarch, has just died unexpectedly and she is left with their five grown sons, their families, and her sister Diane. She's also left with a secret from Be
Maureen
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ben, the patriarch of the Glass family, has been killed in a tragic accident. Olivia, the matriarch, not only has to deal with the grieving process, but also with a secret of such enormity, that it will have the ability to tear this family apart.

Ben left two letters with his lawyer to be given to Olivia on his death. One of them is for Olivia, revealing Ben's secret, and the other is for the son who will be most affected by it, though she doesn't know which one. She decides to spend time with ea
Mackey
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, my-reviews

Wow! Wow! Watching Glass Shatter is a gripping family drama by new author James J. Cudney aka Jay to many of us in reviewing circles. When I began reading I expected to like the book; I never expected to spend the entire day with a "can't put down" novel! Once I became involved with the Glass family, I had to see it through to the end!

The patriarch of the Glass family has been killed in a tragic accident. After his death the family is shattered but we soon learn that the cracks and fissures alr
Kaceey
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great debut from James Cudney!

From the outside, the Glass family seemed to have it all. Ben Glass the patriarch, is a partner in a successful law firm. His devoted wife Olivia and their five grown and successful sons.

How appearances can be deceiving

Ben was tragically killed in an accident. He’s left behind two letters with his lawyer for his grieving wife to open upon his death. The second letter has the potential to rip apart his already grieving family. As Olivia decides whether or not to
Elyse Walters
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Watching Glass Shatter” is an intimate look into the lives of a family.
“The Glass Family”....is as complicated as any family can be.
With 5 adult children - all sons- we are reminded that we never stop being children.

The author’s writing is subtle — it works it’s way into our heart and mind so that we have real feelings for the characters. Each with struggles -and or secrets.

At its ‘heart’....”Watching Glass Shatter” is about love and how love shapes us - transforms us..... when it’s importa
Larry H
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm somewhere between 4 and 4.5 stars.

Is there any better time to read a book about family dysfunction than around the holidays?

James J. Cudney's Watching Glass Shatter is an immensely readable, deliciously soapy novel about a family on the verge of being torn apart by secrets. It's also a commentary about how when it appears people have it all, they often aren't satisfied, and things are much more complicated than they seem from the outside looking in.

Ben Glass and his wife Olivia are about
Julie
Watching Glass Shatter by James J. Cudney is a 2017 Creativia publication.

Engrossing family drama!

I love family secrets and conflict because in real life we all know that family can be hard, but at the end of the day, they are still family, which is the most important thing. But, what is great about books like this one is watching how a fictional family responds to disappointments, mind blowing and life altering secrets, and how they deal with internal conflict and matters of conscience.

Olivia
Sumit RK
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Watching Glass Shatter is a gripping family drama. Having not read many family dramas before, I am glad I read this one.

The Glass family has just lost its patriarch, Benjamin Glass. At the time of reading of his will, Benjamin’s widow, Olivia, receives an unexpected confession from her late husband about one of their sons that could shatter the whole family. Prior to revealing the secret to her children, Olivia decides to spend a week with each of her sons and discovers some more secrets whil
Susanne  Strong
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars.

“Watching Glass Shatter” is a character driven novel written by James J. Cudney.

This is a novel about a family whose secrets threaten to tear them apart. Olivia is the Matriarch, who, after her husband Ben’s death, is left to cope with a devastating secret involving one of her five sons, which threatens to destroy the family. As she spends time with Teddy, Matt, Caleb, Zach and Ethan, she realizes that each of them also has a shocking secret, and no one is left unscathed.

In his first no
Norma * Traveling Sister
WATCHING GLASS SHATTER by JAMES J. CUDNEY was an interesting, entertaining, and a suspenseful family drama which was full of dynamic, well-developed and realistic characters. I absolutely love the cover of this book and that very clever title! I am totally a "cover girl" and when I seen that cover I just knew that I had to read this book. Although, I found a few things within this novel to be a little bit over the top it was just so much fun reading this with some laugh out loud moments that I f ...more
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
4 stars!

This was a suspenseful family drama full of lively and secretive characters. The story kept me entertained and guessing from start to finish. I had the pleasure of reading this along with my Traveling Sisters - Brenda, Norma, Kaceey, Susanne and Marialyce. We had lots of theories, guesses and great discussion along the way.

To find our full Traveling Sister Read review, please visit Norma and Brenda's fabulous blog at:

A big thank you to James J. Cu
Brenda - Traveling Sister
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Traveling Sister Review by Brenda and Norma with Kaceey, Lindsay, Susanne and Marialyce

We read Watching Glass Shatter with four of our Traveling Sisters and we have prepared a combined Traveling Sisters Read Review, which is our signature review for our blog.

Watching Glass Shutter is an interesting, witty, heartwarming but yet a heartbreaking family drama that explores many family secrets within the Glass family and the familial relationships between mothers and sons. It has quite the intriguin
Debra
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are secrets and then there are SECRETS......

Imagine losing your spouse of 40 years...Devastating. As if that is not hard enough, imagine that you learn that your spouse has been keeping a secret from you and that secret is only revealed upon their death. What a blow! That is what happens in this book!

Olivia's husband, Ben is tragically killed in a car accident. While sitting with her sons at the reading of the will, she is given two envelopes. One is for her to read and the other is for on
Starjustin
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An awesome debut novel, by James J. Cudney, that reads like a movie script at a fast page-turning pace that keeps the reader involved with the Glass family from the beginning to the very end.
The story entails the enlightenment of a family, to each other, and their journey to closure after the loss of the father unexpectedly.
The characters are all very strong and their stories are extremely interesting as well as diverse.
I enjoyed this book immensely and recommend it highly!
Louise O' Donnell
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having been one of the privileged few to get my hands on an early copy of this book as a Beta Reader, I am extraordinarily excited to see this shared with the world at last.

Having lost their patriarch, his wife Olivia seeks to heal her broken family whilst also dealing with the grief of his sudden loss. As we delve deep into the psyche of the Glass family, we unearth a series of earth-shattering (pardon the pun) secrets which has the potential to change their family forever. As Olivia grapples
Leila
Watching Glass Shatter

What a wonderful and thought-provoking debut book this is. I have not found it easy to write a review without some level of spoilers.
There is so much depth in the author’s writing. I was immersed in it right from the very start. The theme is all about secrets. The title is most appropriate. After forty years of happy marriage Olivia Glass… the mother of five sons is informed one day that her husband Ben has been killed in a car accident leaving her devastated.
The family ga
Rebecca McNutt
I absolutely loved this book. Unlike conventional thrillers that follow the dark themes of espionage and terrorism, Watching Glass Shatter gives readers a glimpse into a family on the edge. Ben, a husband, father and partner in a lucrative firm, has been subjected to an untimely death, leaving his family grieving and lost without him. This is just the beginning, though. He has left in his wake two letters for his attorney to open upon his death, and as his widow, Olivia, considers whether or not ...more
Marialyce
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you are a fan of character driven novels, then you are in for a treat with Watching Glass Shatter. This fine book written by a new author, James, Cudney, is a powerful look into family and its dynamics on members of the family and others within their circle.

The family patriarch, Ben, has been involved in an awful automobile crash that takes his life and eventually involves his family in a secret that may have devastating results. Olivia, his wife, is a strong minded, authoritarian parent and
Cyndi
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I was a child growing up in Texas and Oklahoma we often took road trips. Since everything was far apart the road trips were long. I would pass the time daydreaming in the back seat and making up stories about the houses we passed. Was the family with the red door happy? Did they have kids? I had a dream of writing stories then, before I knew how much work was involved. (Hats off to writers! Ya’ll are amazing!)
Anyway, writers daydream and construct stories from sparks. This is one of those
Valerie
"Watching Glass Shatter" is the debut novel of James J. Cudney and it is phenomenal!

Olivia and her sons and the rest of the characters are well-rounded, developed, complex characters. There were points where I wanted to "Gibbs' slap" each of them in turn, but they're all terrific characters. I can also identify with each of them in turn as they deal with the various pressures and secrets in their lives. Zach and Caleb are my favorites. They seem to have a hidden depth to them and I want to get t
Hamad
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After becoming a grumpy cat and and losing faith in finding a good book, I remembered one of my reading goals for this year and it was: to read a book written by a Goodreads friend.

description

Watching Glass Shatter restored my lost faith, gave me a huge dose of entertainment and really surprised me! In my last book review, I apologized to Margaret Atwood for the low rating, now I need to apologize to James for not having read this earlier and for not having higher expectations.

If you want to know how this
Jessica Wilkinson
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars for this wonderful debut novel!

Full disclosure, I received a copy of this novel for my honest review. I'm not going to go very deep into summary or thoughts on specific scenarios simply because I think this is a must-read and the reader must form his or her own opinions.

Books about family secrets tend to be unoriginal. Watching Glass Shatter is definitely not that. I found the plot to be surprisingly refreshing. When I first learned of the meat of Ben's secret, I knew I had to keep rea
Malia
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Having followed James Cudney's blog and his reviews for some time, I knew he could write, and my expectations for his first novel Watching Glass Shatter were not let down. He has a style of writing that immediately drew me into the story, and it is certainly quite a story! I don't want to give anything away, because it is a mystery and the sense of suspense I felt throughout my reading made this such an enjoyable, memorable book. I love a thriller based around the intrigues of a family and Cudne ...more
Vicki
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Compelling family saga

This novel was so compelling. Although some dragged and sometimes I felt there might be too many sons in thee mix I grew attached to each brother. The trouble Olivia faced pushed this strong woman into making difficult decisions. Her situation made more complex as each hidden truth was unveiled.

It was worth the effort to get to know this family.
Noriko
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Before getting into nitty-gritty, I must get this straight; this is my unbiased, 100% honest opinion. NOTHING affects my review for this book. I just wanted to make this crystal clear.
Now that the housekeeping is done, let’s talk about my thoughts and feels on this book.

First and foremost, I loved this book so much. The plot is well-thought out and intricately and methodically crafted. The execution is great, especially the last several chapters are stunningly beautiful, incredibly gut-wrenchin
Didi Oviatt
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m completely in awe that Watching Glass Shatter is James J. Cudney’s debut novel. As a strong supporter of up and coming new authors, I read several debuts a year. This one has blown the rest completely out of the water. I ugly cried and everything, multiple times. There are actually a few reasons why Watching Glass Shatter has become my favorite debut. Obviously the plot plays the biggest part (it’s uniquely brilliant), but also because the quality of writing is wonderfully well-polished.

Thi
Candace Robinson
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not long ago, I read Father Figure but Cudney, and after, I just knew I had to read Watching Glass Shatter! They are both very different books, but equally as good! Also this one had some interesting secrets!

What I liked best about this book is it is very character driven. I'm sure I've said this numerous times but those are my favorite kind of books. There were a lot of POV's, and I've read books where the personalities feel too much the same or that they are there for no reason. But like Six o
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
Wow, what an extravagant book! I was initially drawn to this novel because I loved reading Jay’s reviews and other writings on his blog. His blog was one of the very first that I had followed and I highly enjoyed his his daily updates. Now, that has no bearings on my review if I don’t enjoy a book from a fellow blogger, I simply let them know and don’t waste either of our time posting. What sealed the deal for reading this story was the incredible cover, synopsis, and many other glowing recommen ...more
Deborah
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, e-books
I enjoyed this book on many levels. I liked the way the author structured the book to allow the reader to get to know the characters and their relationships in a very straight forward way. I appreciated the fact that the book was tightly written, with plenty of character development, but no unnecessary padding. I look forward to reading more from this author.
  • The Neighbour
  • Jerzy
  • The Faith Dare: 30 Days to Live Your Life to the Fullest
  • Perpetua: A Bride, a Martyr, a Passion
  • Persecuted: I Will Not Be Silent
  • Finding Lucy
  • How to Crash a Killer Bash (Party Planning, #2)
  • No Greatness Without Goodness: How a Father's Love Changed a Company and Sparked a Movement
  • Homeless at Harvard: Finding Faith and Friendship on the Streets of Harvard Square
  • Praying for Strangers: An Adventure of the Human Spirit
  • Stranded
  • Snow-Storm in August: Washington City, Francis Scott Key, and the Forgotten Race Riot of 1835
  • A Sweetness to the Soul (Dreamcatcher)
  • The Kult
  • Finding Miracles
  • Living Lies (Agent Melanie Ward, #1)
  • Cherringham: A Cosy Crime Series Compilation (Cherringham, #7-9)
  • Cloud Whispers
James is my given name; most call me Jay. I grew up on Long Island and currently live in New York City, but I've traveled all across the US (and various parts of the world). After college, I spent 15 years working in technology and business operations in the sports, entertainment and media industries. Although I enjoyed my job, I left in 2016 to focus on my passion: telling stories and connecting ...more