Start by marking “Yanni's Story (Spencer Cohen, #4)” as Want to Read:
Yanni's Story (Spencer Cohen, #4)

Yanni's Story

(Spencer Cohen #4)

When Yanni Tomaras is kicked out of his family home, his parents’ final words are religious insults and an order to never return. Homeless and desperate, he’s lured in by Lance—charming on the outside, an evil predator underneath—who abuses Yanni until he finds the courage to leave.

Yanni should feel free. But by the time Spencer Cohen finds him, he’s resigned to being
Published August 27th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Yanni's Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yanni's Story

Start your review of Yanni's Story (Spencer Cohen, #4)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
REREAD January 15, 2019:

I inadvertently reread this book. I say inadvertently because I'm not much for rereading and didn't realize this wasn't a new release when Nic Walker posted the cover on social media.

The story felt super familiar from page one, but it took me until the ninth chapter to realize I'd read it before. I was enjoying it though, so I continued.

I may have liked it even more the second time around. The slow burn was necessary. I love how Yanni took back his own life!

Original
Gigi
This was a hard book to read right after re-reading the Spencer Cohen trilogy. The trilogy was chock full of sunshine and rainbows and dreamy romance and fluffy bunnies. It is the king of feel-good comfort reads. Yanni's story is angsty and sad and heartbreaking and... kinky!

Reading this on its own would be my advice, not right after reading Spencer Cohen. The books are night and day. I did enjoy this one, but I was in the wrong head space, hence the lower star rating for a NR Walker book. I may
.Lili.
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m
I know I'll be one of the few odd men out on this one.

A couple of points before I start my review:

1. I love NR Walker, and that won't change despite my thoughts on this book.

2. There wasn't anything wrong with the writing it's simply a case of expectations and preferences. We can't love them all.

Going into Yanni's Story, I was expecting angst, and a book not as slow paced as it was.

-As for angst, it wasn't really there. Yes, Yanni has been through a lot, and we're indicated all he went through,
Ele
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
It pains me that I didn't just love that book. I normally love Walker's work, and when I saw she was writing about a Greek character I was over the moon.

I honestly think that it all comes down to my personal preferences as a reader.

For starters, there's nothing remotely Greek about this story apart from the MC's name and the mention of some Greek dishes and desserts (some of which were inaccurate but I won't bore you with details about Greek cuisine). But don't worry, a non-Greek wouldn't even
Renée
Aug 22, 2017 added it
Shelves: mm-romance, dnf, cheeeeze
Unfortunately, this is my first DNF for Walker. But it was WAY too sugary-sweet. The MCs were WAY too perfect. They were WAY too polite, and I was bored out of my mind. Bummer
Catherine
I love N.R. Walker's books. There's been a few 'misses' over the years, but most of the time, her work is my happy place - her books make me laugh and cry and sigh and blush and sometimes even wiggle with excitement.

Not that kind of excitement, you pervs!

Although... Come to think of it... Sometimes that kind of excitement too. ;)

Her Red Dirt Heart series is - and probably always will be - one of my favourite romance series of all time.

That's why, even when I don't totally love one of her
I Dream of Dragons and Unicorns
INFINITE STARS !! Absolutely FANTASTIC book :-)!! HIGHLY recommended!! More thoughts to come very soon !!

Everyone reading (or about to read) this book, should read this too: The Whys and The Warnings - N.R. Walker gets into it :-)! I REALLY liked this blog post!!

I am truly BAFFLED by anyone who didn't adore this book, or understand why it was as slow paced as it was. I, for one, absolutely ADORED this :-)!!

*********
Until I find someone better (or at least a better picture), this [Eric Dane] is
Ula'ndi Hart
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall book rating: 4
Audio Book: N/A
Book Cover: 3.8

Sweet, yes. But boy was it loooong. Or maybe it just felt that way. I don’t know.

I appreciated the way that everything didn’t get fixed over night. Don’t get me wrong. So I do understand the need for “long” and drawn out. On one hand it made the whole thing more believable? Yes?

I think after jumping into this directly after the fast packed Spencer Cohen series, might have had an impact on the way I digested this story.

I really really like
Line
Sep 19, 2018 marked it as maybe
Freebie at amazon.com right now: https://smile.amazon.com/Yannis-Story...
BWT (Belen)

It's rare that I would use "lovingly" to describe the narration of an audiobook, but I just kept thinking how much Joel Leslie's narration was so lovingly done. His care for the characters really came through the entire thing.

We first met Yanni in Spencer Cohen, Book Two. When Spencer and his boyfriend Andrew help Yanni it's a complete turnaround for him. Although there are references to the abuse Yanni suffered from his ex-boyfriend, and to a lesser degree his family, Yanni's Story is
Josy
~ 4.5 stars ~

I really, really liked this book and although it has a very different "tone" compared to the first three books in this series, I actually enjoyed it a bit more. Yes, it is much longer than the other books and yes, it is much darker because of Yanni's past, but it also made me feel more. Book 1 to 3 were light, fluffy, and sweet reads without much angst. Yanni's Story is sweet as well but also sad and very heartbreaking at times.

I actually appreciated that this book is so long (it
Kaje Harper
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
N.R. Walker's writing is always smooth and comfortable, and I felt engaged with Yanni, his story and his progress and his ability to figure himself out, although not quite in the way I anticipated. The book is actually fluffier than the topic would suggest, even though abuse history is the driver for several of the characters. I was actually more entertained by the intermittent Daddy-kink issues that the two guys had to get comfortable with and negotiate around. I liked a developing lesbian ...more
Fabi
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In my quest to avoid any and all spoilers, I did not see that this book had a Daddy Kink theme. In spite of most of my friends commenting on it, I was blind and deaf until it slapped me in the face.

This story also involves physical abuse. I shy away from those stories too. But some are alluded to and some are on page. So it really depends on whether I can handle the story or not.

Last but not least, this is a long book with a super slow burn. I usually like those.

Major kudos to Ms. Walker for
haletostilinski
This was a very enjoyable, solid 4 star read for me.

Yanni and Peter were both possibly the most adorable, or among the most adorable, characters I've ever read about. Yanni was incredibly kind, sweet, adorable, and good. He just embodied what is good in this world, which makes what happened to him even more heartbreaking. Peter is just as kind and sweet and gentle. The care with which he treats Yanni is incredible. He's the perfect person for Yanni after what happened.

This is the story of how
Annika
I was so excited when I picked up this book. I l felt for both Yanni and Peter in the Spencer Cohen books, and I just couldn't wait to read their story. I wanted to get to know them better and find out how they found their happily ever after.

Going into this book I was well prepared for it to be slowburn. I mean how can it not be with everything that Yanni went through, it definitely needed to be. And I'm all for slowburn romances. But there needs to be something that holds my interest in the
Rachel Emily
I LOVED this story. If you're looking for a delicious slow burn, some angst, and reading about a beautiful friendship that becomes so much more than that between an older man and his beautiful boy, then I must recommend this book.

It's more serious than the Spencer Cohen series, (and 4 times as long as one of the single SC books,) and in it we get to read about Yanni recovering and taking his life back from the hell he was living in with his abusive ex. Along the way, he finds a new family,
Chelsea
I took my time with this one. I knew it was long, and I knew it was a rather 'fluffy' post trauma story, I just read a chapter, here and a chapter there and I really enjoyed it :-).

This was absolute fluff, despite the abusive relationship Yanni escaped, everything was very optimistic and about ten step forward one step back. I actually enjoyed reading about the moments he struggled more than when everything was sunshine and roses. But it was absolutely lovely and I found it very easy to read.

I
Snjez
Jun 26, 2019 marked it as dnf
dnf @ 63%

I didn't know there was the daddy thing here, it comes up pretty late in the story. Not my thing at all and I can't bring myself to finish it. Too bad, since Yanni and Peter are quite lovely characters.
Sanaa
4 stars.

“It’s okay not to be okay.”

Yanni's Story will punch you with all those emotions. It's a story about Yanni - as you can tell by the title. It's all about healing, finding yourself, building a future, being happy and comfortable in your own skin. And then finding love.

I'm not going to lie, this was a super slow yet really long book. Nothing happened until the 75% mark. And yes, it makes sense when you read the book why it took as long as it did. I mean I might not be the biggest
Amy
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!

Yanni's Story is sort of a spin-off of Spencer Cohen. Technically it's labelled as #4 in the series, but the timeline runs concurrently to events in books #2 and #3 in that series. If you're like me (i.e. reads a lot of books and very forgetful), you may want to do a brief perusal of Spencer Cohen to re-acquaint yourself with the characters.

The story picks up as Spencer has been hired to track down Yanni. It's not his typical case, but he agrees to help if he can. It turns out that
 ♥ Rebecca ♥
I really enjoyed this in the end, but it started out pretty boring. The first half of the book dealt mostly with Yanni's recovery and Yanni and Peter becoming friends. But they didn't acknowledge that they wanted more than friendship until the second half. But I really enjoyed the second half, and the daddy kink is pretty heavy in this one. The book isnt overly sexy, but it's a large part of their relationship and they talk about it a lot.
Chris
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, favorites
This was adorable and beautiful to read. Yes it was sweet, and bordered on sappy but all that fluff was needed to support the darkness and angst. I was worried that the first part of the book would be specific about Yanni's torture at the hands of his abuser so I was VERY glad to read that Yanni found safety first as his story unraveled. Domestic violence is a real issue and I'm glad it was addressed- sadly not all people find the level of love that Yanni did but it's surely a reminder to treat ...more
Lelyana
...this gentle, perfect man love me. He never once treated me like I was broken beyond repair...instead, he found beauty in fault lines, like the cracks in my life were what made me strong...

I didn't know that Yanni one day will have his own story. And with Peter, one of Spencer's client no less. From the moment they met after the party Spencer and Peter attended, there's spark between them. The story started from there. Good thing is I didn't have to 'experience' what Yanni had been
Bibliophile
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
A couple of my friends on here rated this book DNF or 3 stars which is really low for an NR Walker book, so to be honest, I went into this book with low expectations. And for the first 15 or so pages at least, it *was* a bit of a slog to read because it was rehashing scenes that occurred in earlier books and it felt repetitive and expository in places. As I read those pages, all I could think about was "Yep, my goodreads friends are right--this is not Walker's best."

But once the story moved
Shannon
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5*

All.The.Feels.

I don't understand how parents can be so hateful to their CHILDREN!!!

This was a tough one to read around Christmas- the past few years I've helped purchase Christmas gifts for homeless LGBTQI youths in Arizona and this book just brought home how those kids must feel, to be thrown aside just for who they love. It breaks my heart. And it just makes me so angry.

Yanni's story broke my heart, but it was so hopeful, too, because of the wonderful people who came into his life. I
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Oh, wow. I don't think I can even find words to say how much I loved this story. It was amazing. Ms. Walker took a character who was beaten and broken, abused by his boyfriend, forced to live rough, and finally found by Andrew's family, who give him a home and a family of the heart connection and then place him through their foundation with others in a similar situation. We get to watch as Yanni grows emotionally throughout the course of a year, through therapy, love and support, and falls in ...more
Alex
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
I love EVERY SINGLE WORD from the beginning to the end of this beautiful story. The cuteness in this book!!!!! I loved Spencer and Andrew but Yanni and Peter? *sigh* Loved loved loved, i give this book all the stars of the sky !!!!!
Mercedes
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I am not going to lie, I found this book incredibly boring and skimmed a good part of it. You can Read this book for a detailed account of Yanni's recovery from domestic and sexual abuse.

This book is the anti- "magic dick cures everything." You get to go thru Yanni's slow recovery in minute detail. If you are interested in over 400 pages of that, this book is for you.

Also, I may never read a daddy/boy book again. I think I've grown out of the appeal for that particular thing.
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~
It is no secret I love the stories written by N.R. Walker and the way she always captures my heart.
I was pretty late with reading the Spencer Cohen series but luckily I could read all three books in one row. Next to Spencer and Andrew I loved the series because of Peter and later Yanni. And I hoped for weeks that they get their story. And here it is.

I can't really say how much I've screamed of joy and excitement
Tinnean
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I still think a bit more should have been added to explain what happened to Spencer. One minute there's a mad rush to get to the hospital, and then that's it. We don't learn until almost 3/4 of the way what happened. Also, I would have thought Yanni would have expressed more concern about him.

I did like the snippets at the very end, where we learned what happened to some of the other characters. That was an excellent touch. :-)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Someone to Call My Own (Road to Blissville, #2)
  • Locked In Silence (Pelican Bay, #1)
  • Facing West (Forever Wilde, #1)
  • Tender with a Twist (Rainbow Cove, #2)
  • Nuts (Ace's Wild, #2)
  • Rushing In (Ace's Wild, #3)
  • Loosen Up (Ace's Wild, #5)
  • Honeymoon for One
  • Trust with a Chaser (Rainbow Cove, #1)
  • Unscripted Love (Road to Blissville, #1)
  • Rule Breaker (Mixed Messages, #1)
  • Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
  • Leaning Into Always (Leaning Into, #2)
  • Heart2Heart: A Charity Anthology, Volume 3
  • Science & Jockstraps (Ace's Wild, #1)
  • Spreadsheets (Ace's Wild #8)
  • Psycho Romeo (Ward Security, #1)
  • Hidden in Darkness (In Darkness, #1)
Author also writes as A. Voyeur

N.R. Walker is an Australian author, who loves her genre of gay romance. She loves writing and spends far too much time doing it, but wouldn't have it any other way.

She is many things; a mother, a wife, a sister, a writer. She has pretty, pretty boys who she gives them life with words.

She likes it when they do dirty, dirty things...but likes it even more when they

Spencer Cohen (4 books)
  • Spencer Cohen, Book One (Spencer Cohen, #1)
  • Spencer Cohen, Book Two (Spencer Cohen, #2)
  • Spencer Cohen, Book Three (Spencer Cohen, #3)