Start by marking “The Other Miss Bridgerton (Rokesbys, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Other Miss Bridgerton (Rokesbys, #3)

The Other Miss Bridgerton

(Rokesbys #3)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  9,121 ratings  ·  1,065 reviews
She was in the wrong place...

Fiercely independent and adventurous, Poppy Bridgerton will only wed a suitor whose keen intellect and interests match her own. Sadly, none of the fools from her London season qualify. While visiting a friend on the Dorset coast, Poppy is pleasantly surprised to discover a smugglers' hideaway tucked inside a cave. But her delight turns to disma
Mass Market Paperback, 391 pages
Published November 20th 2018 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Other Miss Bridgerton, please sign up.
Carolyn Jane Poppy Bridgerton was mentioned as a precocious, charming 5 year old in one of the Bridgerton books. I can't remember which one.
Delacey You should have no issues reading this book without the other ones first. All of JQ's books can be read as standalones. You may have the occasional ap…moreYou should have no issues reading this book without the other ones first. All of JQ's books can be read as standalones. You may have the occasional appearance of past characters, and a potential for spoilers of previous books (though I think for the most part she tries to not mention those in her books). Hope that helps :)(less)

·  9,121 ratings  ·  1,065 reviews

Start your review of The Other Miss Bridgerton (Rokesbys, #3)
Jilly
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I should rate this book a 4 or 5 because the writing is so good. Julia Quinn writes great dialogue that is smart and funny every time. And, the book was enjoyable enough that I didn't want to put it down.

BUT..

I just couldn't get over the fact that he kidnapped her in the first place. He really didn't have to, even though he continually acts like he was forced to do it.
He's a spy, and can't let her go when she discovers his secret "pirate cove" because she might blab about it.

But, mistakes were
Megan Lavey-Heaton
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I pick up each new Julia Quinn expecting to feel the magic that I did when I first read her books more than a decade ago. Instead, she has become increasingly formulaic to the point where I can predict "this is where the first kiss happens" and "this is where they fool around" and "oops, I have X pages left, so they must have sex about ... yup here we are" and "we're at an epilogue, which means BABIES. NOTHING BUT BABIES."

I feel like my tastes are moving on from Quinn. I can still recall in grea
Addie H
On Kindle sale for USD 1.99 25th November, 2019

4.25 stars!

(Tropes: Pirates(ish), Love-hate Relationship, Mistaken/Hidden identity, Forced Proximity)

description

I read this book in one sitting. ONE SITTING.

I had nearly forgotten how much I ADORE JQ’s books. And after a woeful string of mostly terrible historical romances, coming back to the Bridgertons was a DELIGHT! It’s easy, breezy, romantic, funny, and mostly angst free.

description

*****
“Captain Andrew James, at your service. Welcome aboard the Infinity.”
“No ‘We
Caz
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've given this a B- at AAR, so that's 3.5 stars rounded up

The Other Miss Bridgerton is the third instalment in Julia Quinn’s series of novels featuring members of the previous generation of Bridgertons and their neighbours and long-standing family friends the Rokesbys.  In the first book, Because of Miss Bridgerton, Sybilla (Billie) Bridgerton married George Rokseby; in the second, the story focused on the next Rokesby brother, Edward, an officer serving in North America. Andrew is the third br
Phrynne
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-2019
I accidentally read this one out of sequence which irritates my OCD side a little but I guess does not really matter in the long run. It was a lot of fun, a bit silly in parts , but overall a very enjoyable and entertaining read.

I liked both main characters and loved the verbal sparring between them. It was the situations they found themselves in that were a little over the top but this is supposed to be light hearted, not a piece of serious literary fiction, so who cares! I loved the ending and
Andrea
DNF after only 10%

This is a sad, sad day. I am giving up on a book written by one of my all-time favorite authors. I'm sorry, but I just can't. I spent almost two months on this, and every time I picked it up again, I ended up seething and quickly put it away after a page or so.

So this book opens with a Bridgerton girl aimlessly traipsing around the countryside, only to stumble across a cave used by smugglers. Who promptly kidnap her because no-one EVER has managed to discover this oh-so-secret-
Mei
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
As I continue to say this is good but not as good as Bridgerton's series.

Both Poppy and Andrew are good characters, maybe Poppy a little bit more! LOL

I liked how she reacted to her abduction and how she made Andrew mad!

Nice and easy story with predictable outcome!
nick
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, arc

This series by Julia Quinn has been my favorite from her. The books have been absolutely stealing my heart. There wasn't any doubt in my mind that I would be picking up The Other Miss Bridgerton. Like with the previous books, this was a feel-good story with a lovely couple.

Poppy Bridgerton was undeniably the star of this book. She was sweet and charming and so kind. While visiting a friend in Dorset, she stumbles upon a cave where she discovers pirates smuggling some goods. She finds herself kid
Nancy
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After loving the first in this series, then feeling rather meh about the second, I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the third. But the blurb - high seas! Pirate-y adventure! Bridgerton heroine! - I was pretty excited to give it a try. I'm so glad I did.

JQ is back in full Bridgerton glory. Her trademark witty banter and complex characters seem fresh - a new set of characters within the same family we've all loved for years. I loved how Poppy and Andrew actually communicated; the turn in roma
Book Gannet
I can’t believe I’m about to type this, because I’ve loved Julia Quinn’s books for years, but… I found this one boring. I’m not the biggest fan of romantic pirates at the best of times, but since Andrew isn’t even close to being a pirate (or a privateer really, since he’s more of a merchant-smuggler) I thought I’d risk it anyway. Which would have been fine, except that over half the book takes place in a single cabin on board a ship at sea – and nothing happens!

I had high hopes for something occ
Marie
december 18: it was delightful, surprising, compelling, delightful AND SO ROMANTIC. oh yes, i love it! from book one, andrew looked like the perfect romance hero and he delivered just that, simple and utter perfection. and poppy was a splendid heroine and a great match for andrew. the banter scenes were so well written, the adventure storyline was good (surprisingly interesting to follow and really good for a romance) and the two characters were just wonderful apart and simply brilliant together ...more
Jultri
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Archetypical JQ book - sweet and funny and not terribly angsty. It was just a matter of time before the inquisitive and indomitable Poppy Bridgerton's curiosity got her into trouble. While exploring caves near her friend's home after expertly ditching her assigned maid/chaperone, she finds far more than she intended and consequently gets napped by pirate smugglers keen to protect their secrets. Only these pirates are unlike any other pirates she has read about. They neither rape nor plunder, the ...more
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Apr 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Suspend your disbelief and you'll have lots of fun. Expect characters with little historical feel. Focus on their romance, banter, zero angst, a bit of danger thrown in and happiness and you'll be just fine. It was entertaining. it is way better than the previous one.
Lu
Lovely story totally focused on the MC’s relationship

What I loved the most about this book is that they are stranded in a ship and therefore the whole book is about them and their relationship and how they get to know and love each other.
I usually don’t like pirate plots, but this was a lovely read.
Brian Johnson
SOME SPOILERS

I really enjoyed the first book in Julia Quinn’s Rokesbys series, Because of Miss Bridgerton, and though I was just slightly less enchanted by this third installment focusing on youngest Rokesby brother Andrew, I did enjoy it and in many ways it is a book that provides richer food for thought than the first one. Both Because of Miss Bridgerton and The Other Miss Bridgerton feature independent Bridgerton heroines (Poppy in this book is cousin to Billie from Because) who fall in love
Joanna Loves Reading
Really enjoyed this overall. Sweet, character-building story. It started out on a not so promising note with a kidnapping, but intimacies were not shared until there was a believable foundation of mutual respect. I enjoyed the tidbits about Lisbon, such as new building techniques to withstand earthquakes. The two lovers were separated for a spell and the scene where they reunite was quite well done.
Susan (susayq ~)
Oh Poppy! I absolutely adored her! She was witty and smart and gave Andrew a run for his money. I loved watching them fall in love despite the circumstances that they met in. I don't want to say too much because I want you all to read this...and you know you can't go wrong with Julia Quinn :)
Alison
Three and a half stars.

Poppy Bridgerton is spending a few weeks with her (very pregnant) friend Elizabeth in Somerset, every afternoon she explores the coastline looking for caves, until one day she stumbles across a privateers' cave and is kidnapped.

Andrew James Rokesby is a former naval captain turned privateer on behalf of His Majesty, couriering letters and documents between the UK, France, Spain and Portugal under the name Captain Andrew James. He is on deadline to deliver some letters to P
Stacee
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it

I had read and enjoyed the previous book in this series and loved this synopsis, so I was pretty eager to start it.

I absolutely adored Poppy and Andrew. She’s sassy and curious and is outspoken. He’s just as sassy and charming and and wants people to think he’s a bit of a scoundrel, but is quite a marshmallow. Together they have delicious banter and button pushing and fantastic conversation.

Plot wise, it was good. Of course, there’s only so much that can happen in one room of a ship,
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
The Other Miss Bridgerton started off great with Poppy being abducted by two pirates and taken to Captain Andrew Rokesby ship and there held captive. The rational part of me does think this whole kidnapping thing is crazy. And, yes Andrew is now a real pirate, and he's a gentleman. Still, it's still kidnapping. Then again, I do read more crime and thriller novels than romance, so kidnapping for me is seldom a good thing when it comes to books.

Anyway, this story worked well at first for me, ther
☆☽Erica☾☆
How sweet and adventurous!

As always with Julia Quinn's books, I loved the couples' banter. I appreciated how the male mc wasn't some brutish non communicative douche, but rather very engaging and personable and clever. There were also no blurred lines in terms of consent and I genuinely felt that the couple was good together, bringing out the best in one another. Their conversations started out a little stiff/ pedantic for me but they improved massively and you could tell the author got into the
Candace Camp
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is another fun read from Julia Quinn. Her characters are warm, witty, and thoroughly likable even while they're at odds. Their romance builds nicely, never seeming forced. As usual, there's some interesting information about the Regency period, this time concerning sailing ships and early jigsaw puzzles. This prequel is a very nice addition to her Bridgertons series, and I recommend it.
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
3.5 stars.

Easy reading, nothing to earth shattering but despite the kidnap theme nothing too objectionable either.

Extra half a star for the journey to Lisbon, one of my travel destinations this year.
Esther
ARC provided by Edelweiss and Publisher in exchange for and honest review.

Review to come closer to Publication.

Rating could change. Between a 3 -3.5.

mahana
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
THAT EPILOGUE I'M WEAKKKKKK
Lexi
Nov 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Ok, this was a long time coming but this book was really the last straw. Julia, if you ever read this I'm sorry but it needs to be said; enough with the f****** Bridgertons! Enough!!
We get it; they all have the same coloring, all the boys are charming and all the girls are oh-so-unconventional and the ton loves them, your publisher clearly loves them even though it is starting to feel like milking a dead cow, and now apparently Netflix loves it too (congratulations are in order on that account)
Aly
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
While visiting a friend, Poppy Bridgerton convince her chaperone to wait for her at a tea shop while she goes explore the surrounding area. But when she discover an hiding cave, she end up kidnapped and on her way to Portugal.

Andrew James is the Captain of the Infinity. But what his crew, and his captive ignore, is that he's not just a privateer. He's the son of an earl who works for the Crown. And he just happen to be the neighbor of Poppy's cousins. The young lady can't say she's not relieved
Lauren
The Other Miss Bridgerton
3 Stars

Vacationing in a small seaside town, the adventurous Miss Poppy Bridgerton is minding her own business exploring a cave when she finds herself kidnapped and tied to a bed on a pirate ship. Captain Andrew James Rokesby has no time for beautiful yet willful women when he has important documents to deliver for the British government. Thrown together on the voyage, Poppy and Andrew soon find that their snarky banter conceals an intense attraction, but will she be so a
Debby
The Other Miss Brigerton was a funny, easy and predictable listen for me. I enjoyed Poppy and Andrew were delightful characters. I loved the banter between the to individuals. Although there could have been more heat, it did not stop me from liking the story. Ms. Landor as usual provides a very nice narration of the story and the voices of the characters.

4-Stars
eyes.2c
What a delight. This certainly appealed to my sense of the quirky. Poppy is a marvelous character. What with she and Captain Andrew James sniping at each other, quoting Shakespeare and later even physics lessons I was won. But then I was captivated right from the first moment Poppy, due to her insatiable curiosity, found herself in the wrong cave at the wrong time, was kidnapped, taken aboard ship and found herself bound for Lisbon!
Romance isnt Dead: Virtual Book Club: Book 4 1 2 Mar 10, 2019 11:25AM

• Devil's Daughter (The Ravenels, #5)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • Say No to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #4)
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • Say Yes to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #5)
  • Daring and the Duke (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #3)
  • The Governess Game (Girl Meets Duke, #2)
  • Born to Be Wilde (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #3)
  • When a Duke Loves a Woman (Sins for All Seasons, #2)
  • Hello Stranger (The Ravenels, #4)
  • Marrying Winterborne (The Ravenels, #2)
  • Wicked and the Wallflower (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #1)
  • Devil in Spring (The Ravenels, #3)
  • The Scoundrel in Her Bed (Sins for All Seasons, #3)
  • Not the Duke's Darling (Greycourt, #1)
  • Governess Gone Rogue (Dear Lady Truelove, #3)
  • Too Wilde to Wed (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #2)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn loves to dispel the myth that smart women don't read (or write) romance, and and if you watch reruns of the game show The Weakest Link you might just catch her winning the $79,000 jackpot. She displayed a decided lack of knowledge about baseball, country music, and plush toys, but she is proud to say that she aced all things British and literary, an ...more

Rokesbys (4 books)
  • Because of Miss Bridgerton (Rokesbys, #1)
  • The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband (Rokesbys, #2)
  • First Comes Scandal (Rokesbys #4)