Start by marking “Court of Shadows” as Want to Read:
Court of Shadows

Court of Shadows

(House of Furies #2)

The chilling second book in the all-new graphic horror series from New York Times bestselling author of Asylum follows Louisa Ditton, a teenage girl who finds employment as a maid at a boardinghouse in northern England—only to discover that the owner is executing his own brand of dark justice on the guests.

Louisa Ditton doesn’t know who she is anymore.

After the gruesome ev
Published June 26th 2018 by HarperTeen (first published May 29th 2018)

Start your review of Court of Shadows
TABI⁷ (ᕗツ)ᕗ
I don't think I can accurately describe my feelings about this book, okay??

description

I do know that I need a third book. Desperately. Also the author blurb in the back simply states this as "the second book in the House of Furies series" so, like with my rather stubborn ship of Morningside and Louisa, I will cling to every morsel of hope.

Yes, I am that obsessed with this series, okay?? BECAUSE THERE'S JUST SO MUCH TO LOVE!!

I got angst, a twisty plot, plenty of fascinating, intricate characters, SO MANY MO
Amelia
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Court of Shadows just as much as I enjoyed House of Furies.

I highly recommend this series if you love horror or you're looking for something new to read.
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
Ugh, why did they do a cover change? I know I'm being fussy but they first showed a matching cover that was red to go with the first cover which is blue. It would've looked so nice!

I'm getting so sick of cover changes so that we have nothing to match with the first one we spend money on. This one isn't half as cool looking. What are the publishers thinking?
Mindy (Naughty Book Snitch)
Buy the book or get it from the library ❤️

On my next payday, Im going to pick up this entire series for my bookshelves. So damn good, very descriptive, detailed and fleshed out characters, excellent plot and superb pacing.

description

I cant wait to devour the rest of this authors books!
nat.
Jul 31, 2018 added it
wow this was so much better!

the story feels so much bigger in this one. with new intriguing characters, a deeper mythological/folklore background, a journal into another time which I personally loved reading about and we finally learn Louisa’s origin.
Mel
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I can’t say I loved the directions this book took in the end; but I enjoyed the journey getting there. Book 1 is far superior and I felt it a little spookier and more gothic. This one felt more supernatural and modern.

I also noticed quite a lot of grammar and spelling mistakes in this that I was pretty shocked to see. I think it could have used another editorial glance.

Otherwise, a solid sequel to the first book. I’m curious if she’ll write another. I think this could be way further explored,
Amanda
When are Louisa and Mr Morningside going to kiss I'm asking for a friend
Aly
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2018
Enjoyable book! The pacing was good, which I always worry about. There were no boring parts and it picked up pretty soon after the first book. Louisa is such an interesting character. I liked seeing her develop her powers since she discovered them last book. The convening of the court was cool, with other creatures coming in and seeing all their powers as well. The journal of the ancient Egyptian warrior was a nice break in the story and I was pretty invested in what was happening with that as w ...more
Cherleri
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brittany Kantack
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3/4 of the book was so painfully slow but the last 100 pages or so made up for it. I love Roux's work and rated it a 4 because I've really grown to admire her as a person. But if I were to stumble upon this book and had not have read any of her previous books, I would have rated it much lower.

overall, much creepier than the first (house of furies). Not necessarily scary (to me at least) but I loved the creepy imagery of Father. I thought the Egyptian touch to this story was unique. I'm disappoi
Nidofito
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5/5

The book because tends to go on aimlessly for some time. There's a few plot points stories that I wish were given just a bit more attention e.g. I would have loved to read the entirety of Bennu's journal. I definitely wanted to know more about the history between Mr. Morningside and the shepherd.

The tone of the series reminds me of the Graveyard Queen series by Amanda Stevens. The writing's not spectacular, nor is the story out of this world, but the atmosphere and the characters j
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
I NEED THE THIRD BOOK NOW!!!
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-novels
I think the sequel was even better than the first. More danger, higher stakes, and a battle amongst the gods!

Everything was about this book was even more intriguing than the first. Highly enjoyable!

Definitely can't wait for the next installment!
Melissa
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS BOOK.

Okay. Okay. My reading backlog is monstrous but I've had a couple of days to work from home so I picked up House of Furies (Book 1) on Tuesday. I read it IN A DAY. I could not WAIT to pick up Court of Shadows (Book 2), and have once again devoured it in one sitting.

The story is absolutely delightful. There's enough danger and violence that I don't feel coddled as a reader. I expect my favorites to die at any turn. I expect everyone to have some dark secret that will instantly change my
Ninoshka
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I dont think I can properly explain how much I love this series. The world this is set in is absolutely amazin in my opinion and all I want to do is learn more about these characters. In Cour of Shadows we learned more about a religion that came before the Sheperd and Morningside came to be. It took a turn to a religion I wasnt expecting and explained more about the Sheperd and his Upworlders. At the same time we got a peak at Morningside and his employees at Coldthistle House and I really do me ...more
Candra Hodge
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Long awaited book 2

I have been waiting for this book to come out after reading the first book. I can tell anyone reading this that I was just as impressed with this book. The ending makes me wonder "what's next?!"
Anna
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was at least as good, if not better than House of Furies! I can't wait to read the third book.
Cali
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bibliyohan Blackthorn ➰
Oh duuuude, I need book three ASAP!

Things have escalated quickly since I closed book one. Louisa has come back to Coldthistle after her fruitless search of Mary. A Court is to be held in the Mansion for Mr. Morningside after the events of the House of Furies went a little bit awry.

The Court in question is the Side of the Shepherd and his uhmm.. Angels. Mr. Morningside needed Louisa's help and Louisa needed something in return which led to her deal with the Devil.

Louisa's true father has also sur
Nicole Alycia
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
4.5/5 stars!
This one started out slower than the last book but definitely got good towards the end! The storyline was a lot different from the last book which was nice but I did like the last book because of the unique storyline. This storyline was still unique but was borderline mainstream in a lot of its elements. I’m curious to see what else can come of this series though.
I really hope this isn’t the end of these books.
Ashley Gallegos
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one started out a little slower than the first book but the ending totally made it worth it! Once Croyden Frost arrived, everything become fast paced and awesome!
Swetha Mary ann
Ohk... this book is more like a 3.25 star read for me.
Despite being maybe slightly better than the first, this book doesn’t actually qualify to be a good sequel. The parts where the journal entries are there was interesting. But other than that, the author seemed to just wing it as it goes, without much forethought into the whole process.
The parts where Louisa’s father comes and all that was interesting enough, and the heavy borrowing from The Bible and egyptian lore was kind of interesting to
Teodora
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Bulgarian review: https://bookishipster.wordpress.com/2...

I didn't like this book a lot, the first one was better, but it still had its interesting moments. I guess i just can't connect to the characters enough and that is why it took me so much time to read it. It was okay though, had some cool stuff.
Bode  Cauthon
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aside from the disappointing cover change.... I thought the first one was epic and creepy as heck and this just doesn’t have that vibe.... the book was awesome!
Again we are thrust into Louisa’s mysterious and confusing world. The book was the perfect blend of mystery and horror and I can’t wait to figure out what’s next.
Tori
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed diving deeper into this story. I loved meeting the new creatures and wish there were more of them. This book did a good job wrapping up the first book and getting us ready for the next one. I liked that we got to see more of Mr Morningside too-I love me a weird, mysterious character. I can’t wait to see what will happen next and how it will all end.
Mandy
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It was such a fantastic sequel and I loved the character development! The addition of new characters added some interesting elements and tension to the story, and it was a wonderfully creepy read! I cannot wait for the next book!
Elysa Mae Caranto
It's amazing and has thrilling events that made me finish it reading as fast as i could.
Tracy
Aug 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure if the beginning of this seemed slow to me because it had been a while since I read the first one, but it ended well. Lots of excitement and twists
Lauren
Oh my lord I needed this read. Been in a reading slump lately–even books I know I would love I can’t get into. Yet somehow Roux drew me back into the macabre, twisty, utterly unique world she began in last year’s House of Furies. She expanded the world greatly without massive exposition and without feeling like the added mythology and history were out of place from the established story.

And the characters! You know an author is great at writing complicated characters when you ship the protagoni
Rpaul Tho
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this continuation of the story. I found it a bit difficult at the beginning to remember what happened in the first book given that it was so long ago that I read it. But in the end, I was intrigued with the characters and enjoyed their development. I would’ve liked a bit more development of Lee and Chijoki though.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Hasta los huesos
  • Déjalo fluir
  • Вещиците от Витоша (Софийски магьосници, #3)
  • Особенная тень (Смерть и Тень, #2)
  • The Unleashed (The Haunted, #2)
  • Мара и Морок (Смерть и Тень, #1)
  • В сърцето на Странджа (Софийски магьосници, #2)
  • 12 часа преди Коледа
  • Neverwake (Dreamfall #2)
  • The Dark Missions of Edgar Brim (The Dark Missions of Edgar Brim #1)
  • Stolen Time (Dark Stars, #1)
  • Peril (Peril, #1)
  • The Dashwood Sisters' Secrets of Love (21st Century Austen, #1)
  • Es Ángel, es demonio
  • Hide and Seeker
  • El libro negro
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Across the Green Grass Fields (Wayward Children, #6)
New York Times Bestselling Author of the ASYLUM series, Allison Hewitt Is Trapped, Sadie Walker Is Stranded and the upcoming House of Furies series.

MADELEINE ROUX received her BA in Creative Writing and Acting from Beloit College in 2008. In the spring of 2009, Madeleine completed an Honors Term at Beloit College, proposing, writing and presenting a full-length historical fiction novel. Shortly af

House of Furies (3 books)
  • House of Furies (House of Furies, #1)
  • Tomb of Ancients (House of Furies #3)