Start by marking “Sorry For Your Loss” as Want to Read:
Sorry For Your Loss

Sorry For Your Loss

Printz Honor winner and William Morris Award finalist Jessie Ann Foley’s latest YA novel is a comitragic coming-of-age story about an awkward teenage guy who, after the loss of his brother, finds healing and a sense of self where he least expected to.

As the youngest of eight, painfully average Pup Flanagan is used to flying under the radar. He’s barely passing his classes.
Expected publication: June 4th 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Sorry For Your Loss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sorry For Your Loss

Jessie
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
The inspiration for SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS came partially from a piece I read about Leonard Cohen's final press conference before his death in 2016. When asked by a reporter about where he drew his inspiration from, Cohen gave this beautiful answer about how we create art as a way of articulating the emergency inside of us. I have been obsessed with that notion ever since.

I decided that I wanted my main character, Pup, to be a kid who is experiencing a serious emergency inside of himself, and who,
Lisa
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, arc
A straightforward story that touches on undealt with grief and loss. I love how therapy plays such a crucial part of the story and how many teen boy tropes are expertly navigated. Plus, I appreciated how art was used as a tool of healing.

Some moments I struggled to connect with, which is why this wasn't a total homerun for me. But I absolutely enjoyed this story overall.
Jessica Lyn
Review closer to publication date...

But ugh my heart.
Erin Quinn
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been in a bit of a reading slump for awhile - reading, but the books I was reading were just okay, not the kind of books you’d stay up late to read, or to sneak a few minutes between tasks to get a chapter in. And then came Sorry For Your Loss, by Jessie Ann Foley.

Sorry For Your Loss follows Pup (which is a nickname; his real name is James) and his huge family of 26 - he is the last of 8 brothers and sisters. The story follows Pup as he tries to come to grips with life a few years after hi
grieshaber_reads
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Jessie Ann Foley! This one doesn't come out until June so I'll save my review but for now, add it to your TBR. It's a GORGEOUS story of large families, grief, and coming of age. Beautifully done.
Jamie
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To say I wasn’t expecting this would be to pretend like I had any expectations to begin with; it was just another book picked up off my pile. And yet I stayed up until 2 a.m. reading it, so deeply engrossed in Pup Flanagan’s story that there was no way I wasn’t going to finish it in one sitting. This book had me putting it down and sighing. I said, “Oh that was lovely,” aloud more than once. I shook my head and said damn damn DAMN a few times. And at the end, I cried like a baby. Books like this ...more
Danielle
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a young adult novel centered around a teenager named Pup who is barely squeaking by in his life and is just trying to hide from everyone after the death of his popular older brother. In order to not fail is photography class he is forced to work with someone who helps him see his world in a whole new way. There is a lot of really good stuff about grief, loss, and family in this book with some teenage romance as well.
Kim
A powerful and ultimately uplifting exploration of family and grief and love and forgiveness. Pup— er, James— and the rest of the Flanagans are going to stay with me for a long time.
Haley