Start by marking “Beyond the Truth (Detective Byron #3)” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Truth (Detective Byron #3)

Beyond the Truth

(Detective Byron #3)

4.51  ·  Rating details ·  39 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
"A gripping atmospheric thriller that finds the dark side of Portland, Maine. The Detective Byron mystery series is one of the finest to arrive in a long time." #1 New York Times bestselling author Douglas Preston

In this latest enthralling mystery from #1 bestselling author Bruce Robert Coffin, Detective Sergeant John Byron faces the greatest challenge of his career.

When
Published October 30th 2018 by Witness Impulse

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Truth

Joan
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked this novel of precise police procedure. I can tell Coffin was on the force for decades. His attention to detail is very evident. It added a sense of reality to the action. And I liked the personal aspect, following the life of Detective Sergeant Byron. He is fighting his own battles as well as trying to find the truth behind a difficult killing. Coffin's experience also shows as we read about interference from a persistent reporter and from a superior whose aspirations for advancement hi ...more
Glen
I won this book in a goodreads drawing.

When a police officer shoots and kills a kid in Portland, Maine, Detective John Byron is on the case. Meanwhile, the Brass, the Press, and the Mayor all go to work undercutting him and trying to achieve their own ambitions.

Eventually, things get to be too much for John, but the other police stay on the case.

Decent, but not really great.
Micki
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beyond the Truth is a fast-paced mystery populated with characters readers care about. The author's attention to detail and personal knowledge of police procedures make this a compelling story that is certain to keep readers turning pages well into the night. Bravo!
Nancy
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I first started reading this book I wasn’t sure I wanted to get involved in another detective novel.It didn’t take long before that changed and I didn’t want to lay the book down.

If you have anything important you need to do, don’t start reading this. When you do start reading you certainly won’t want to put the book down for something as mundane as meals or sleep. Maybe you can just line up some snacks in front of you before you pick up this book.

I’m such a girl. I have to admit that I nee
Rick Cochran
Nov 19, 2018
Kathleen Gray
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well done and topical procedural. Coffin has used his background in law enforcement to inform his plotting of this novel which looks at what happens when a police officer shoots a teen. Portland Maine has a dark tough side and things are always clear for officers. Byron is in many ways your classic tortured detective, complete with an addiction/sober struggle, but he's well drawn. I'd not read the earlier books in this series so I read this with fresh and appreciative eyes. Thanks to Edelweiss f ...more
Suzanne
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Taut and tense mystery involving a police shooting and a dead teenager. The opening scene is breathtaking and one of the best I’ve read in a very long time. This police procedural has all the right pieces in place and moves them around deftly, keeping the mystery alive while maintaining the interest in the characters and the setting. For mystery crime lovers, this is a really good book. I received my copy from the publisher through edelweiss.
SO
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great book, couldn't put it down. As like the other 2 book Bruce has brought you right into the pages of the book and if you know Portland at all you can visualize traveling down the street with the characters. And being caught up in the "who done it" and wondering if you have figured it out. Plus hoping John Byron can put his life back together. So looking forward to #4....... S.O.
Michael Andrews
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another example of great storytelling.

A well pace plot of intricate storytelling that only a person with direct working police background could tell. This series of stories would make a great movie or tv miniseries. The main characters are rich in their own personal subplots. I look forward to more Bryon if there is more.
Marissa
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodreads-win
Goodreads Kindle Copy Win

A story that is prevalent in today’s news that highlights the story of a cop shooting a teenager. What happens to the detective as he goes through the scrutiny through his eyes as he battles the media but his inner demons of an alcoholic.

This is a gripping emotional journey.
Mainer207
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Wow! Another winner for Coffin. It’s going to take me a minute to compose a review.
Mike
William H. Desvousges
Nov 14, 2018
Mary L. Heberlee
Nov 18, 2018
Bruce Robert Coffin is the bestselling author of the Detective Byron mystery series and former detective sergeant with more than twenty-seven years in law enforcement. At the time of his retirement, from the Portland, Maine police department, he supervised all homicide and violent crime investigations for Maine’s largest city. Following the terror attacks of September 11th, Bruce spent four years ...more

Detective Byron (3 books)
  • Among The Shadows (Detective Byron #1)
  • Beneath the Depths (Detective Byron #2)