Start by marking “Just Right Family: An Adoption Story” as Want to Read:
Just Right Family: An Adoption Story

Just Right Family: An Adoption Story

Meili, who is six years old and adopted from China, learns that her parents are going to adopt a baby from Haiti. Meili isn't happy. Their family is just right as it is. But as Meili begins to accept the idea of a sibling, she realizes the importance of being a big sister and finds that a new addition can be just right for their family too.
Published March 1st 2018 by Albert Whitman Company

To ask other readers questions about Just Right Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Right Family

Start your review of Just Right Family: An Adoption Story
Becky
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh God... I hate feelings, and I'm crying EVERYWHERE. This book is magic. A wonderful family story. A wonderful adoption story. A wonderful reminder of what family should mean.

Every library needs this book. Right now. Put it in your next order, and buy a box of kleenex.
Kristina
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pic
I'm not crying, you're crying.
Ben Truong
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just Right Family: An Adoption Story is a children's picture book written by Silvia Lopez and illustrated by Ziyue Chen, which stars Meili, who thinks her multiracial, adoptive family is just right as it is, and she doesn’t want her parents to adopt a new baby sister.

Lopez's text is rather simplistic and straightforward. It stars Meili, a girl adopted from China, is awaiting her adopted baby sisters from Haiti, and all her concerns and eventually acceptance of being a big sister. Chen's i
AprilSLib
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
"Just Right Family" is a sweet story about a multi-ethnic family that is just right. The two parents have adopted a girl from China, and they are about to adopt another girl from Haiti. Meili, the first child, is worried about this new addition to the family because to her, the family is fine the way it is. However, slowly, the people around her are able to change her mind so that she can welcome her new baby sister happily.

The family celebrates the various places the children come from with ma
Mackenzie Schley
Diverse Book
Published March 2018

Young Meila loves her family and thinks it’s just right. One of her favorite things is when her parents tell her her bedtime story, the story of how she was adopted from China. Then everything changes when they tell her she is going to be getting a new baby sister from Haiti. Meila would rather have a puppy and struggles with the idea of her family changing. Slowly she warms to the idea, and when her little sister Sophie arrives with her parents
Jeff
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This book is an outstanding book to read to children of all walks of life.

"Just Right Family: An Adoption Story" tells the story of a young adopted girl named Meili, who came to the United States from China - as her adopted parents point out to her on a large map on her bedroom wall (pgs. 4-5). But while she appreciates being adopted and hearing the story told and re-told to her by her parents - a surprise is in store for her.

A new addition!

While Meili had hop
A Allen
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This might be my favorite adoption story yet. It is so sweet to hear about the things Meili does with her parents. We also get to hear Meili's adoption story, which she asks her parents to tell her every night; while telling her the story, her parents say things like "we asked to be your forever family" or "we looked in our hearts and saw you there" which is such a beautiful acknowledgement of the adoption process. Then, Meili's parents tell her that their family is going to grow. Meili is very ...more
Lara Olivia
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just Right Family is a compassionate piece of realistic fiction that supplies the reader with engaging illustrations and a detailed retelling of two adoption stories. The main character, Meili, an adopted girl from China, learns that she is going to be getting a new baby sister. Her new sister is coming all the way from Haiti! At first, she is skeptical, but she warms up to her new sister as soon as they meet.
Although the story is about Meili's immediate family, it also showcases her relationsh
Rachel Walters
As a teacher we need to represent all kinds of families in our classroom. A great way to do that is to have books, just like this one! This heart warming story tells the tale of a family adopting a baby. They have a daughter who is adopted and she is at first sad about getting a sister, but then once she is there she is so excited and loves her so much. Published in 2018.
Sheri
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a story to explain to children what adoption into a family means. The story shows a multi-ethnic family who adopts one and then another child from around the world. The anticipation and the worry of a child from being much loved and an only child to a sister to a new adoptee. Simple theme and shows some jealousy but mostly upbeat.
Ann Santori
First of all, the illustrations are lovely -- computer graphic style, but soft enough with enough color variation to be appealing. And the story is just so cute! Not 'message'-y at all but describes feelings around adoption and new siblings quite well.
Amanda
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the repeating refrain, "we looked in our hearts and saw you there." Family can be all sorts of people, and this beautiful, inclusive adoption story shows that so well with the family being all colors of people. I like that the big sister has struggles and is allowed to express them.
Cara Byrne
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great book to explore big sibling nervousness about a new baby - but with special attention to those who are adopted. Lovely story, nice illustrations. It was a great story to introduce my non-adopted preschooler to the concept of adoption.
Patricia McLaughlin
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
“For all those families willing to look in their hearts and see a child”. —Silvia Lopez

Just right story about an interracial family, international adoption, and unconditional love that transcends all boundaries.
Akoss
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
We were really reluctant to return this lovely and emotional picture book.
An absolute re-read for sure and a perfect pick for anyone in a blended family or planning to start one.
Michele
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sweet story! Beware, if you read in a public place (like I just did in the library), you may cry!
Kelly
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really nice quick story about adoption.
Angela
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb
Sweet, touching story. About adoption, new sibling, change and adjustment.
Clementine
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
a very serviceable, inclusive take on interracial adoption. this will help round out collections, and is perfect for very young readers.
Jennybeast
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very sweet, well done story for young kids about adopting a younger sibling, esp. international adoptions. Lovely.
Jessi
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS SO MUCH OMG.
Kira Nerys
Absolutely loved reading this. What a beautiful way to talk about adoption, multicultural families, and the experiences of adopted children. Very touching, somewhat sad, but ultimately heartwarming.
Rachel
Lovely direct story about interracial family and international adoption,
Jess
Nov 13, 2018
Kayla
Jul 29, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• I'm Sad (I'm Bored, #2)
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • Another
  • Petra
  • Harriet Gets Carried Away
1 follower
I am a Cuba native raised in Miami, where I served as children’s librarian in schools and public libraries for over 35 years.
My children's books include six bilingual eBooks, one of which Zunzuncito: Un Cuento del Pájaro Abeja Cubano, received the International Latino Book Award as Best Children’s Picture eBook of 2017. In 2019, my picture book Just Right Family: An Adoption Story (Albert Whitman