Start by marking “That Fruit Is Mine!” as Want to Read:
That Fruit Is Mine!

That Fruit Is Mine!

When five fruit-loving elephants spot a scrumptious hard-to-reach fruit high up in a tree, it's a race to see who can claim it first! But after one too many fumbles, the elephants begin to lose their cool, and the highly coveted fruit is whisked away by the teeny-tiniest of all jungle creatures—mice! The elephants soon realize they have a lot to learn from this cooperative ...more
Published March 1st 2018 by Albert Whitman Company (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about That Fruit Is Mine!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Fruit Is Mine!

Start your review of That Fruit Is Mine!
Whispering Stories
Book Reviewed by Stacey on www.whisperingstories.com

Deep in the jungle live five elephants, each of the elephants loves a different fruit, that is until they come across a very tall tree with exotic looking fruit dangling from its branches.

Then, each of the elephants decides that they want the fruit and so they all cry out ‘MINE’ and try different ways of getting the fruit to drop from the tree. What they hadn’t noticed were five little mice working together to get the fruit.

The elephants are as
Abigail
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Picture-Books About Sharing & Working Together
Shelves: picture-books
Five individualistic elephants discover an exotic, immensely appealing-looking new fruit in this picture-book exploration of learning to work together. Each one claims the treat as his own, and attempts by himself to get it down from its very tall tree. Meanwhile, five tiny mice work together, succeeding where the elephants fail, and teaching them the idea of "ours..."

A picture-book debut for Spanish expatriate author/illustrator Anuska Allepuz, now living in the UK, That Fruit Is Mine! pairs an
Kareena
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nothing crazy, but great for storytime. It can be used interactively having the kids try to blow the fruit down, or stretch up high. The story is just meh, but the interaction makes it perfect for Storytime.
Jason
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I knew where this story was going right away, and I usually hate that, but somehow the way it's presented is so efficient and entertaining that I don't mind. ...more
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, children-s, 2018
An amusing and charmingly illustrated story that demonstrates that working together is more effective that insisting that everything is MINE.
Mary
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If Molly and Mae: A Friendship Journey is my favorite book on our teamwork and cooperation booklist, then That Fruit Is Mine! by Anuska Allepuz comes in a very close second! Brightly illustrated and interspersed with lovely humor, That Fruit Is Mine! gives children very concrete examples of what results from groups that work with teamwork and cooperation for the benefit of the group, and groups that work, well, with their own individual ideas and interests in mind. And, does it get much better t ...more
Strawberry
I really love this book! The story is briliant and the illustrations are just so funny! ‘That Fruit is Mine!’ is around A4 in size and is filled with thick and matt pages of text and some great illustrations. Everyone loves fruit, the elephants all have their favourites. But when a particular delicious looking fruit is spotted on a tall tree, the elephants all call out that the fruit is theirs. But will any of the elephants get the fruit, or will someone else sneak away with it instead?

I really
Pauline
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the debut book as an author from Spanish born illustrator Anuska Allepez. In this story five elephants who adore fruit - pineapples, coconut, kiwi fruit, mangoes and bananas compete for the new, best and most exotic fruit from the branches on an enormous tree. But how will they reach this fruit? Children will appreciate that there are two stories going on here - while we are watching the elephants in the main frame try a variety of failing, and funny, individual techniques to climb the t ...more
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

Looking at the cover, you pretty much know what is going to happen in this book, but it is an adorable story that I enjoyed reading anyway. While the base story is predictable, cute little details in the book make it worth the read.

In the book, five elephants find a new kind of fruit and all claim it for themselves. Each tries to retrieve the fruit alone, but non can reach it. What should they do?

Nice story about sharing, teamwork, and working to
Melanie
Five individually distinctive elephants spot a new type of fruit tree and are determined to be the one of the five that are able to reach the high fruit. While each elephant tries in it's own ridiculous way to try to reach the fruit, a family of mice on the other side of the tree are working together to climb the tree to reach the fruit. When the elephants see what the mice are able to accomplish they decide to work together.

A darling story for storytime. Children will enjoy noticing and followi
Juliana Lee
Five fine elephants lived in a jungle with many kinds of fruit. Each elephant liked one type of fruit over the others. One day they find a new exotic fruit, and they all claim it for themselves. But, each elephant goes about trying to get the fruit for themselves, and each one is unsuccessful. In the meantime, a family of five mice work together to get the fruit. Seeing how the mice got the fruit from the tree, the elephants decide to work together too.
Erin
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
That Fruit is Mine is a really fun book about 5 adorable elephants who have spied a new exotic and delicious looking fruit. But how will they get it?? While the elephants race to see who can get the fruit for themselves first a group of mice work together and make off with it before any of the Elephants can get to it! A cute read about working together. And did I mention the adorable elephants?
Catherine
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I feel that children will also like it because of the elephants. I think animals work well in children's books. What child doesn't like animals?
And they will also learn about sharing and working together to gain something they want. Which are good traits for young children, to learn.
Deana Metzke
This is a cute story about teamwork. There are 5 elephants who want the fruit, but it takes the work of some teeny mice to inspire them to work together to get it.

This book is also great for showing how PB authors/illustrators often use the whole page to tell their story. Text can be anywhere on the page.
Jean
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cooperation, communication, and comedy! Great introduction in STEAM to teamwork and problem-solving for younger kids. Fun illustrations and a quick read. Are we the elephants or the mice and can we learn to change together?
Courtney
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Preschool storytime would benefit from this story about changing vocabulary from "mine" to "ours". This story is fun with large, bright pictures. I also like the introduction of different tree bearing fruits. ...more
Melissa Mixon
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: early-readers
I LOVE this book! The story happening in the words and the story in the pictures are both so engaging and entertaining. And the big message at the end of the importance of teamwork and helping each other. It is precious! And the illustrations really make this book.
Viviane Elbee
Feb 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is such a funny book, about fruit loving elephants, who discover a delicious looking new fruit on a tall tree one day, and each one wants it for him/herself.

I really enjoyed the illustrations and this story.
Tracie
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Five very big elephants learn from some small ants how to get delicious fruit in a tall tree.
Maisie
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really like the illustrations of the cute elephants : )
Casandria
Working together is a good idea, as some elephants learn from a group of mice.
Kelly
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVED it! Very fun.
Miss Sarah
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Five elephants work very hard to try and get a piece of new fruit they see hanging on a tree. Can they figure it out before someone else gets it? cute and clever. preschoolers will delight.
Gayle
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun story about teamwork with great illustrations. I particularly liked the parachuting elephant at the end still shouting, "MINE!!" ...more
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Learning to share and also that doing things together is sometimes better than doing it alone.
Laura Manahan
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute book for story time about working together and sharing the fruit (actual fruit!) of their labors :)
Emily
Fun and humorous story about sharing and working together.
Alison
Cute book about sharing and teamwork

• Here We Are: Notes for Living on Planet Earth
  • Cindy Moo
  • Love Monster
  • I'm Sad (I'm Bored, #2)
  • Shark In The Park
  • The Wall in the Middle of the Book
  • Baby Goes to Market
  • Julián Is a Mermaid (Julián, #1)
  • Sheep 101
  • Don't Call Me Bear!
  • Historia del arte en cómic. El mundo clásico
  • El robot del bosque (Bitmax & Co.)
  • The Digger and the Flower
  • Sam, the Most Scaredy-cat Kid in the Whole World
  • Piranhas Don't Eat Bananas
  • I'm Worried
  • The Remember Balloons
  • Ten Rules of the Birthday Wish
Anuska Allepuz studied Fine Arts at the University of Salamanca in Spain and the Academia di Belle Arti di Carrara in Italy, before undertaking postgraduate illustration courses at EINA, Barcelona and the Cambridge School of Art.

A rising talent in the world of illustration, Anuska has been highly commended in the Macmillan Prize for Children’s Illustration and shortlisted for the 2012 and 2014 AOI