Start by marking “Riven (Riven, #1)” as Want to Read:
Riven (Riven, #1)

Riven

(Riven #1)

Published May 29th 2018 by Loveswept

To ask other readers questions about Riven, please sign up.
Isaiah It is going to be a series. The second book is expected November, 2018. Check out the series page here https://www.goodreads.com/series/2340...

Start your review of Riven (Riven, #1)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Everyone else LOVES this book, but I'm getting flashbacks to when I read In the Middle of Somewhere and was the only hater of the bunch. Though I loved The Remaking of Corbin Wale, I'm thinking maybe Roan Parrish isn't for me.

Riven was far from terrible, but I just... don't get it. I found the characters to be boring and I couldn't get myself emotionally invested. There was this strange feeling of disconnect that I couldn't shake.

The music aspects were... good. I liked that these guys had pass
Judith
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5

Liked it but didn't love it,like I expected...

One ABSOLUTE positive was Theo...I love a character that is sexy and hot but has a kind of innocence about them,

More pics,

(view spoiler)

There's no denying both men had a great chemistry and the sex scenes were some of the best I've read

The musical aspect was very well done and I'm sure the Author did her research because I was totally invested in that part of the story.

Unfortunat
~Mindy Lynn~
5 Stars!

I think this has to be my favorite story by this author so far.

Theo was the type of character I desperately wanted to reach through the pages so I could hug him and Caleb garnered the same reaction out of me. One of my favorite couples I've read about this year hands down.

Theo loves music. He loves writing it and creating it. He loves seeing people enjoying their music. What he doesn't love is the paparazzi following him and taking his picture. The crowds that engulf him when he's out
Shile
Audio book -4.35 stars

Story - 4 stars

description

Iggy and Chris did a wonderful job narrating. Chris has a really sexy voice, my only problem with him is the heavy breathing in between sentences which was a distraction.

Well, that was surprisingly good. My first encounter with RP book was not a pleasant one, maybe because it was her debut book. This on the other hand was entertaining.

I am not a contemporary person, i was surprised at how much i enjoyed hanging out with Theo and Caleb. I believe it is the wr
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★

M/MMM AN ADDICTING BAD BOY ROCKER!

Stand-alone.
LIVE! | AMZ US | AMZ UK | B&N | KOBO | iBOOKS |
Blurb:
Theo Decker might be the lead singer of Riven, but he hates being a rock star. The paparazzi, the endless tours, being recognized everywhere he goes—it all makes him squirm. The only thing he doesn’t hate is the music. Feeling an audience’s energy as they lose themselves in Riven’s music is a rush unlike anything else . . . until he meets Caleb Blake Whitman. Caleb is rough and damaged, yet his fi
Wendy
4-of-5-stars-300x110.jpg (300×110)

I have read a number of books by this author that I really enjoyed and when I read the blurb for this one, I got really excited. I mean "rock stars" are a definitely a weakness of mine...Add the words "rough and damaged" and I am sold!! I couldn't wait to open this baby up.

Animated GIF

Theo is the lead singer of the up and coming rock band "Riven". He really loves singing but being the focus of the band is not all it's cracked up to be. Theo is being hounded by the paparazzi and to make matters worse...his b
Lana ❇✾DG Romance❇✾
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
4 STARS

He was lust and heat and power and I fucking loved it.

Have you ever read a book for the cover alone? What? Now don't look at me like that. Have you seen this cover? There's just something about it that's utterly magnetic. It lures you in. And then you read the blurb, and INSTANT HOOK!

This was my second book by Roan Parrish and I'm definitely a fan. Riven is an emotional, character driven story that was as gripping as it was raw. Now normally, I don't really enjoy a romance whe
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
This book blew me away.

It moved me.

It made me hurt.

There was so much feeling in the writing.

I couldn't stop reading.

I loved Theo and Caleb so so much.

One of my favorite books of the year.

ARCH kindly provided by the publisher, via NetGalley, for an honest review
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc

READ MY REVIEW ON THE BLOG

When you open a book and you connect to the characters instantly and they touch you deeply, it's already a good sign. If the story speaks to you then you are on a good way to your next favorite. Roan Parrish is a new-to-me author and this is what happened to me when I started reading Riven.

Theo lives everybody else's dream. He is the lead singer one of the most popular bands, Riven. He and his bandmates sell buckets of records and make a ridiculous amount of money. Th
.Lili.
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I can't get this book out of my head. It was-

breathtaking

soulful

magical

poetic

passionate

I don't think I can write a coherent review for it. Riven is one you have to experience. It's about two men going on a journey together; it's about healing, trust, new beginnings. It's also unlike any rockstar book I've ever read. It didn't rely on typical cliches. It was just so full of feeling.

Trust me, friends, read this book. Sorry to be so vague but you'll be the better for it.

5+ GORGEOUS Stars.

BWT (Belen)
ETA for Audio:

It would have been better as a duet, but...

It's a great audio.

My only complaint about the performance, and it's a small one, is Chris Chambers needs to work on his breath control when using the mic. You can often hear his breath intakes before speaking, which could be annoying.

Otherwise, Iggy Toma and Chris Chambers both did a wonderful job overall. Their character voices are great, the pacing and timing was aural perfection, and I would have been perfectly happy and content if e
Simone
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
*** Roughly 3 Stars***

I liked it, but...
Bildergebnis für box of shame gif

... I didn't love it. Caleb and Theo were great characters and I felt for them, but... I didn't really care for the story. There, I've said it. There was too much blah-blah - umm, sorry monologue - and I was kinda... bored? It picked up a bit in the second half, but even the added sort of drama just dwindled away...

As for the audiobook: both narrators were new to me, but I enjoyed the job they did with a few reservations. Iggy Toma's voice was a
Isabella. R
5 Rebirth Stars ⭐️

Sometimes you try a new author and you know from the very first chapter that you will love every moment. This is an MM romance with so much heart and depth (and heat 🔥) that I was bewitched from start to end.

Theo Decker is a reluctant celebrity. As the face and lead singer of rock band Riven, his love for music has come at a price. Burned out and disillusioned, he’s suppressing his emotions to keep everybody else happy. On a rare night out, he stumbles across music that calls t
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio - 4.5 stars
Iggy Toma - 5 stars
Chris Chambers - 4 stars I love his voice but he has a habit of taking deep breaths that I find distracting

Story 4.5 stars round up because even with all the push/pull, there's no denying the emotional connection and chemistry between the MCs.
Barbara➰
This book wrecked me, put me back together and wrecked me again. It was beautiful, gut wrenching, funny, sad, hard, loving, surreal.

I'm not one who likes a lot of angst while reading. My poor little emotions can't take it. But I could not put this book down. No matter how much my heart hurt or how much I wanted to bitch slap Caleb at times, I couldn't stop reading. The whole thing is beautifully written. The pain and turmoil of both Caleb and Theo was real.

Theo is struggling with fame He loves h
Moony Eliver
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Moony by: Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
Nov 2018 reread: Only about 4 months after my first Riven read, I just finished it again. I tried hard this time to identify what I love so much about this book.

The biggest thing I realized was how beautifully Parrish created characters who were achingly vulnerable without being weak. That vulnerability intensified their connection and chemistry, and their relationship evolution just felt so incredibly real, because it was based on them as people rather than on contrived plot points.

I hope Ren
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
Wow, this was so much better and so much more than I thought it was going to be. I’m so sad it’s over. I might cry. I seriously can’t believe this has so few reviews, it’s officially my new favorite M/M. Ever. Honestly, it's one of my top romances. Theo and Caleb stole my heart and I can't stop thinking about them.

I thought I was getting into another okay (maybe decently) written, steamy M/M rock star romance with characters who were fun but didn’t stand out when it came to leading men. I was so
Renée
The reluctant rockstar who didn't want to be......

Theo Decker had no idea when he joined Riven a few years ago just how big they would become. And, as the lead singer, he is the most recognized. He's the one who gets mobbed everywhere. He's the one that the paparazzi chase.

Music is everything to him, but the fame and the constant touring.......he'd prefer to take a pass.

Caleb Whitman was once in the music industry and talented in his own right. But a strong addiction took its hold, and it took
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**
***4.25 Stars***

When I'm looking for a beautifully written character driven story, there's one author I turn to....Roan Parrish. And with Riven, she's proved, yet again, why that is.

Everything about him worked its way under my skin, like a bullet slowly making its way to my heart.

I absolutely loved this story! This book is as much a love story about music as it is a love story between Caleb and Theo. Each chapter a verse in the song. The words a melody carrying you through the tale.
Alisa

This was a mixed bag. It started poorly for me because the purple prose was out in full force. This author loves her words and she loves to use all of them at the same time. What could be said in 4 words, she uses 20. It kept pulling me out of the story and by 15% I was thinking about dnf-ing this. I liked the overall plot enough to push through and by the mid way mark it either got better or I became numb to it.

This story is about Theo who is a huge rock star. But he hates it. He hates everythi
~Kristin~
5 Stars
This is my first book written solely by Roan Parrish, and I was absolutely blown away!
It was one of those books that pulls you into another world, the very best kind of escape.
I am not a fan of overly angst filled books and I sometimes miss out on really great stories, luckily this book made me feel, but it didn't tear me apart. It was the perfect mix of emotions.
The struggles of both MCs were so well described, you could see at the beginning they were just trying to survive and their p
Virginia Cavanillas
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing

This is a sweet and natural love story between two intense and troubled men. Two musicians who know first hand that everything comes with a price. Because that’s what happens to Caleb and his additions and also the toll for Theo to pay with his aversion to fame. Very different in their problems and experiences but very close and similar in the core. The fears are not the same but both have them. Both are scared somehow about the thing they love the most: music.

Riven is a beautiful and a
Diana
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Riven by Roan Parrish was an emotional story about two musicians, Theo and Caleb, trying to find their happiness. The writing was phenomenal and pulled you into the story making you feel every emotion the M/C were going through. Battling inner demons and struggling to be honest with themselves and each other, in what they truly wanted out of life.

I listen to music all the time, but. I do not have a musical bone in my body, so reading about musicians and how they struggle with their craft, made
Ele
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the rare occasions where I have zero niggles. I found everything about this book perfect. I think it's the best Roan Parrish to date. 5 stars.
Melanie A.
5+ STARS!
"I just need you to love me."
Gah! Riven completely wrecked me. I loved it so hard!
There was a deep need in him, and it sang to me. Plucked at strings pulled taut inside me that had never been strummed.
Plot in a nutshell: Theo is a reluctant rock star. Caleb is a semi-successful musician who's been out of his fourth stint in rehab for about a year. They meet, and their lives are irrevocably changed.

OH HOLY WOW, guys, Riven's pages contained everything that makes my l
chan ☆
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
we're talking EMO MAN OF MY DREAMS with tats and flippy black hair we're talking GAY ROMANCE we're talking GAY CUDDLING AND AFFECTION

ok this was so much fun. we've got a sexy gay rockstar, theo, who is straight out of my 13 yr old myspace dreams. longish black hair, tattoos, eyeliner and nail polish wearing. and then we have the lumber sexual, caleb, who is the sweetest recovering heroin addict.

from the very beginning this book was unlike most MM romances i've picked up. i hadn't realized it
Chris
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-contemporary
Theo & Caleb .. a beautiful story of second chances, moving forward and finding courage. Both guys were deeply in love with each other but Caleb fought each step, not trusting that he was good enough. Battle scars and history seemed to drive his decisions, especially in being a hermit. Bless Theo for his bravery and love ... there is always hope. ...more
⚣Michaelle⚣
5 Stars

I finished this a few days ago and I'm still not any closer to writing a coherent review today than I was then...but I'm gonna give it a go. Because ARC.

Rock Star MCs don't typically appeal to me...and I don't usually like that trope or the stories that seem to go with it. So, when I decided I would ask to review this book I did it with some trepidation. But only a little. After all, it's written by Roan Parrish and I've yet to at least 4 Star anything I've read by Roan so far...which mad
Jonetta
Caleb Blake Whitman is a talented musician and former rockstar. After several failed attempts at rehab, he’s a year into sobriety after isolating himself on a farm outside of New York, far away from the world that was his downfall. That is until Theo Decker stumbled into his life. Theo is the lead singer and songwriter for Riven, currently the hottest new band in the music world. But Theo’s a true musician and deeply hates the infamy that comes along with the band’s success. All he wants to do i ...more
Hollis
A reluctant rockstar who rose to fame to prove something to the family that treated him as a burden, a post-rehab musician so afraid to fall back into addiction that he polices his whole life to the detriment of living, music and wonder and hope and learning to love yourself..

That's RIVEN in a nutshell. But the story is so much better, and so much more, than my crappy summary.

Reluctant rockstar wasn't precisely accurate. More like, Rock Star Who Loves Performing with a Fiery Passion but Hates Be

• Game Changer (Game Changers, #1)
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
  • Risk Taker (Mixed Messages, #3)
  • Syncopation (Twisted Wishes, #1)
  • Galaxies and Oceans
  • Trick Play (Fake Boyfriend, #2)
  • A Deeper Blue (Rules of Possession, #2)
  • The Blueprint (Rules of Possession, #1)
  • Whisper (Skins, #2)
  • Fake Out (Fake Boyfriend, #1)
  • Tight Quarters (Out of Uniform, #6)
  • Deke (Fake Boyfriend, #3)
  • Lucky (Lucky #1)
  • Tough Guy (Game Changers, #3)
  • Oz (Finding Home, #1)
  • Vanilla Clouds
  • Deal Maker (Mixed Messages, #2)
  • Counterpoint (Twisted Wishes #2)
Roan Parrish lives in Philadelphia, where she is gradually attempting to write love stories in every genre.

When not writing, she can usually be found cutting her friends’ hair, meandering through whatever city she’s in while listening to torch songs and melodic death metal, or cooking overly elaborate meals. She loves bonfires, winter beaches, minor chord harmonies, and self-tattooing. One time sh

Riven (3 books)
  • Rend (Riven, #2)
  • Raze (Riven, #3)

News & Interviews

“Music. You out?” she asked. “I have been. But”—he shot a look at me—“I’m maybe wading back into the Mississippi. You know how it goes.” “I do,” Dot said. Then she cast a glance at me, quick as a knife blade. “You watch yourself in there, see. She muddy. And she changing course.” “I’m a big boy, Dot. And I can swim. But thanks.” He kissed her cheek. “Is this metaphor gonna stretch any thinner?” I asked. “Because the river would like to get a damn drink and listen to some music.” 1 likes
“But I hope you don’t wake up in a couple of years and realize you threw the baby out with the bathwater. You know, if staring at your walls is so hard, you might try something else. Try caring about someone else, or something else. ’Cause what the fuck’s the point of working so hard to get your life back if you’re stuck out there alone and doing nothing with it.” 1 likes