Start by marking “Longing for Shelter (Alphas' Homestead, #3)” as Want to Read:
Longing for Shelter (Alphas' Homestead, #3)

Longing for Shelter

(Alphas' Homestead #3)

Seth Mason arrives at the Alphas’ Homestead under duress. The Council have made it clear that if his cousins, Caleb and Jacob, can’t tame Seth’s wild ways his very last chance will be used up and he’ll have nowhere left to go.

Seth is horrified to find that he’s going to have to spend a year living in the backwaters of Nebraska. He hates the Alphas. He hates the dirt and t
Published August 27th 2017 by self

To ask other readers questions about Longing for Shelter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Longing for Shelter

R * A Reader Obsessed *
3 Hearts

I should've known that perhaps this wouldn’t titillate me as much as the first two books did, because this doesn’t focus on Jacob and Caleb who I absolutely swooned over. This is about wayward cousin Seth, and for at least the first half of the book, he was not a very likeable character.

Now granted, Seth has been dealt a very shitty hand. His entire family and pack were brutally murdered, and in his grief, he’s essentially been acting out in the form of copious drinking, petty crimes, an
Chris
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great series .... I adored Seth & Malcolm's story - it was sweet, gentle and highlighted the vulnerability in both men. Seth had suffered a terrible trauma of losing his family and pack and basically went off the rails. He was given a chance to redeem himself by living on the homestead with Caleb & Jacob and there the story begins. While Seth struggled with settling he realized farm life was not for him. After meeting Mal in the town saloon things changed. The vulnerable side o ...more
Ami
I really enjoyed being with this family -- I love story about family, especially that lasts for several books as we see the members of the family grow up. This time the focus shifts a little bit with the arrival of Seth Mason, whose pack has been murdered, and the trouble teen is sent to the Fletcher-Carpenter homestead in Nebraska.

Seth is not easily liked at the beginning, even though I felt sympathy towards him. But of course after he meets Malcolm, Seth shows that he can change for the bette
Rachel
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series, I was so excited about reading this book and it didn't disappoint. I'm even more excited now I've seen that Martha and Thaddeus will be getting their own stories :) Can't recommend this series enough.
Lillian Francis
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've been waiting for this book forever. Because I wanted Mal to find happiness ever since I read an early draft of Home is Where You Are.

*Happy sigh*

The sense of family in these books is amazing.
Bev
4.25 stars from me. This is such a lovely, gentle shifter series with well developed characters and realistic every day goings on.

Carra
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really have been enjoying this series, the characters are ones that have become like family me and I've become quite invested in their happiness. The introduction of Seth to the homestead serves as a great injection of angst with his painful past, and of tension thanks to his holier-than-thou attitude. But stories where characters like this get taken down a peg or two, and where they experience plenty of growth...those are some of my favorites to read.

Yes, Seth has had tragedy in his life. The
JenMcJ
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this series.

This series is more epic in scope. Although the blurb tends to lead the reader to believe the MC's are the main characters, in fact they are a story line, not always the main storyline. Be prepared and read the first two books first.

There is relatively very little on page sex in this book. There is also a lot of telling in this book so we don't see Seth and Mal talk as much as it's implied with the skipped over meet ups and jumping time. It's a little difficult to grasp just
Jess A Jaye
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I adore this series and it's definitely a series that I will be re-reading which is quite unusual for me.
The description historical shifter might put off some readers but please give this series a go if that's not your usual bag. The writing is so good and immediately pulls you in. And at the end of the day this is a story of family, belonging and finding love in the face of prejudice.
Book three in the Homestead series continues to follow shifters Jacob & Caleb and their family. This time co
Ash
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of this series and have been eagerly anticipating this addition. The family Alex Jane created for this series is so very well written, and I was so excited to come back to the Homestead for this new story.

Longing for Shelter has two main plots driven by two POV characters: Jacob, who we know from books 1 and 2, and Seth Mason, a new character. Seth is Jacob's cousin, a beta, age 17, and he comes to the Alphas' Homestead as part of a punishment deal with the werewolf council. Seth
JR
Seth Mason is sent to Caleb and Jacob in hopes his atrocious behavior can be correct. If not, the Council will step in, and the consequences will be dire for Seth. After a few initial incidences, Seth begins to settle down. However, there is now an undercurrent of hostility to the Weres in town.

Once again, this series is filled with tremendous warmth, and complex characters. The hardships of farm life, and the courage it takes to live that life are so well illustrated. It has always felt like
Maggie
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

I absolutely love this series! Everything about it. From Jacob and Caleb, to Seth and Malcolm, the kids, the town...you name it. Intricate storylines with characters so well thought out, you become a part of the story with them. I cannot wait for the next books!!
C.
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
In preparation of this third book I reread the first two and I'm glad I did. I really love everyone on the homestead, especially Thad who I can't wait to see more fleshed out as he grows. This gets four stars instead of five because Seth was troublesome in the beginning and he and Malcolm didn't get much of a romance. It was more told than shown.
M
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I waffled pretty hard between the Goodreads 3 star "liked it" and the 4 star "really liked it" on this one. Maybe a 3.5 would be truer? I really liked it as a coming of age, I definitely believed the parts about Seth growing up and dealing with his grief, but I personally wish I'd seen more of Malcolm and Seth together for the romance portion (my "liked it" rating). I felt like that took a backseat to the other portions of Seth's story, and that made it hard for me to believe in their HEA withou ...more
Lisa The Novel Approach
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Out of the three stories that have come out in the Alpha’s Homestead series (a historical alternate reality series where werewolves live amongst humans), I feel that Longing for Shelter is the best.

Seth starts off as a bit of a butthead and as I became familiar with his character, I couldn’t help becoming more and more motherly towards him. He was sent to Caleb and Jacob as a last ditch effort to help save this rebellious young man from himself, and the fate that awaits him if he can’t
Susan65
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Blogger Girls

I am really loving this series, and that really surprised me, two-fold: firstly, it is historical, which is normally not my go-to read, and secondly, with this story specifically, although it was pegged as being about the budding romance of Seth and Mal, it was really more about the entire Caleb-Jacob family, with a very slow burn starting between Seth and Mal…but it worked.

Seth is struggling. He is a teenager who lost his entire family to a horrific murder. Not only that, but h
Mari Cardenas ~ Bayou Book Junkie
4 Stars!

Longing for Shelter is book 3 in The Alpha's Homestead series and can't be read as a standalone. If you haven't read the previous books, this review may contain spoilers.

Jacob and Caleb are stronger than ever, but when the Council sends their cousin Seth for them in the hopes they'd be able to tame his wild ways, their patience will be tested. Plus suddenly the town turns against them and they might need to fight to stay in what has been their home for five years.

While the first two book
June
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I adored the first two books in the Alpha’s Homestead series, and I wasn’t disappointed by this latest book at all. The arrival of troubled Seth into the lives of Caleb, Jacob and their family brings conflict both within the family and between them and the town. Seth is a spoiled, arrogant young man, who hates life on the homestead at first. But he’s really grief-stricken and lost, putting on a front to protect himself from feeling too deeply. He gradually adapts to life with the Alphas, and sta ...more
Izzy Ferreira
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-to-reread
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Reading this book was like going back to my childhood when we used to watch films on Saturday afternoon. They weren't the blockbusters, they didn't have all the special effects and the instant gratification of action and resolution. They were cozy, comfortable and while it could take sometimes a while to get used to them, you just couldn't change channels. You had to keep watching.
And that is exactly what happened to me reading thi
Mh
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, here I am again, telling you that not only did this story blow my mind, it irritated the hell out of me and made me want to ring Alex's neck because she made me bounce like a fool in my seat, and bawl my eyes out.

Between Seth, who's just such an arrogant git, until he isn't, to Ephraim's ever changing and growing personality, I was hooked. I fell head long in love with Mal, a character who's been present in every story but comes into his own in this one, and I was reminded that these peopl
Amy
I feel like this series was written for me. I think the best part of the series is that even though this book is technically about Seth, the whole pack is still very much front and center. I love that. I hope the rest of the series goes in the same vein. To me, although I was very happy that Seth finds his soul mate, it was more about his journey over the last year, not only in growing up and into a decent man, but also accepting the deaths of his family and the overwhelming guilt that he feels. ...more
Tamela
Loved the characters. But I was confused because I swear I read that Seth was only a couple years older than Elijah, but they kept calling him a man. Maybe it was because of the times... 1870's. Maybe 17 yrs old is a man back then.

I only hope there are plans for more books in this series. I want more... More... MORE😊
Amber
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series and happy to see that two more books have appeared without me noticing. Jacob and Caleb's love make such a solid base to this story as Seth struggles to find his way. Seth at times was an ass but I loved watching his relationship with Mal help him. This series is just one that brings warms fuzzies especially watching Caleb and Jacob's pack help another.
LynW
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
Malcolm and Seth didn't seem to have much of a courtship and romance and almost took a backseat to the rest. I am hoping for Peter/Martha and Patrick/Dale Foster!
Kathleen
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great addition to the series.
Jayelle
Alexa Ebanks
Sep 30, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Add to an existing series 3 14 Aug 31, 2017 11:17AM
Stories of M/M romance with happy endings...eventually.

After spending far too long creating stories in her head, Alex finally plucked up the courage to write them down and realized it was quite fun seeing them on the page after all.

Free from aspirations of literary greatness, Alex simply hopes to entertain by spinning a good yarn of love and life, wrapped up with a happy ending. Although, if her c

Alphas' Homestead (4 books)
  • Home Is Where You Are (Alphas' Homestead, #1)
  • Returning Home (Alphas' Homestead, #2)
  • Home in your Heart (Alphas' Homestead, #4)