Start by marking “Star City (Star City #1)” as Want to Read:
Star City (Star City #1)

Star City

(Star City #1)

An alien race, the Ba’ren, makes contact with Earth. To jumpstart diplomacy with humans, the Ba’ren offer their advanced medical technology, prompting the United States government to create a joint research project, and to call for the best of the best.

Eighteen-year-old Emma Smith, ready to capitalize on this historic opportunity, beats thousands of applicants for the posi
ebook
Published December 4th 2017 by Evolved Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Star City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star City

Krystal
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With his debut novel, Star City, Edwin Peng delivered intergalactic intrigue and action, along with relevant commentary about historical and current politic dynamics affecting Earth!
Curious Reader
This is a sci-fi ya fiction. A young human girl get to work with the young alien boy. First they hate each other. Then they fall in love. Include some suspense in it. And you have Star City.

I will not say that I'm impressed but I was surely intrigued. Young readers will like this book. That being said go for this if you like sci-fi book with aliens in it.

Note: I received a free e-copy of the book via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. Special thanks to the author and publisher for giv
Mary Fan
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Edwin Peng’s debut novel, STAR CITY, is a YA sci-fi tale that tells the story of alien first contact from the point of view of two teenagers: Emma Smith, a college freshman who’s given the coveted position of student ambassador, and Sepporinen, a young alien who’s assigned to be her counterpart. The alien race, called the Ba’ren, are a technologically advanced and peace-loving society that hopes to be Earth’s benevolent allies. To prove their goodwill, they offer medical technology that can cure ...more
Jenny
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
I was given a cope of this book from the publisher through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

3 ⭐

While an interesting concept, this novel fell a little flat for me.

The characters were interesting in the beginning, but I felt no real development from neither Emma nor Sepporinen. It was also quite heavy on the politics side, too heavy at times. I didn't feel the attraction between the main characters and the romance didn't feel real (view spoiler)
Lauren
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's always a special occasion when an author releases their debut novel, and it's just as special when said debut novel is a gem of a read. I can most certainly attest to this when it comes to Edwin Peng's "Star City."

I was given an ARC of the novel and I went into it with no expectations apart from what was revealed in the synopsis. I completed it this morning, already anticipating the next installment of the trilogy. While aliens arriving to Earth is not a new concept, how it unfolds in this
Kim
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This was a YA book, complete with aliens. It was just okay for me. Emma and Sepporinen together felt very forced, I did not get any real chemistry from them.

The world itself was well done and I enjoyed it, but did not connect with the main characters. I also found there was too many secondary characters to keep everyone straight.
Dawn Cicchini
Simple and entertaining... Mostly

As an adult reader, I found this book to be a little below my usual reading level. The pacing was good and the chapters flew by but I found myself rolling my eyes at some of the characters. Other than the two protagonists, there wasn't much to distinguish the cast from typical YA stand-ins.

There was a little surprise near the end that I hoped would take the conclusion another direction, but this book stayed true to a proven formula.

For a younger sci fi fan or som
Julie
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, ya, sff
I received an ARC copy of this from the author, but I’ve been a very slow reader.

Star City is set in Nebraska after an alien race makes contact with Earth. The mission is supposed to be a cooperative endeavor in which alien technology helps cure childhood cancers. The two main characters are Emma Smith, a blonde-haired, blue-eyed University of Nebraska freshman, and Sepporinen, a Ba’ren youth who would rather be mining than have anything to do with Earth. As the cultures clash, both young peopl
Stephanie

Aliens have come to Earth. The Ba'ren have come to Earth looking for peaceful diplomacy, trade and to help with medical research. Part of the diplomacy efforts include two human student ambassadors paired with two Ba'ren ambassadors at the University of Nebraska where ongoing osteosarcoma treatment is taking place that the Ba'ren believe they have a cure for. Emma Smith has been chosen to be one of the student ambassadors to the Ba'ren; as a freshman, Emma hopes to advance her career in biomedic
James Hughes
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How I got this book:
I purchased the Kindle edition of Star City for £2.99 from Amazon.co.uk

Summary:
An alien race, the Ba’ren, have arrived on earth offering trade, peace and the answer to many of our current woes. Star City revolves around Emma Smith (who is given the prestigious position of student ambassador) and her alien counterpart, Sepporinen. Things appear to be going well as typical diplomacy - under rather unusual circumstances - takes place; although things take a turn for the worse as
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
We are not alone.

When advanced space-faring aliens came to Earth, they established delegations around the world. Finally, they came to the U.S. with the offer to cure children affected with a specific kind of cancer using one of their own compounds. Emma Smith, an ambitious freshman at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, is delighted when she is chosen to be one of two student ambassadors selected to liaise with the aliens. Sepporinen, her Ba'ren counterpart, is less pleased to be part of the d
Erik McManus
This book was pretty good. The main characters were Emma (the youthful student ambassador) and Sepporinen (the chosen Alien delegate). They work together to cure diseases with the use of the alien technology. But a lot of the world doesn't agree with working with aliens and choose to start anti-Bar'en groups (Bar'en is the alien race that Sepporinen is a part of).

There was some teen love but I found that most of it wasn't exactly believable. It just seemed like a very elementary school kind of r
Ruth Turner
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book!!! If I could give this 100 stars I would. Completely unique and unputdownable. I read this book in one sitting, I just couldn't tear myself away! What would happen if a superior alien race made contact on earth? How would we react? Written from the dual point of view of 2 teens, one earthing and one alien, this book has a truly authentic feel to it. Not only does it deal with the day to day challenges faced by these 2 teens and their life at uni, it tackles head on issues that are ...more
Wahid Akash
Apr 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I will just say that I won't ask for my money back but the reading was definitely a waste of my time. If you are familiar with 90's poorly made (we all liked those at that time though) sci-fi/alien based tv series or movies, you can definitely associate this book with those. The characters were far away from development, dialogues are not well-written. Most importantly, I could predict every single thing that was going to take place.

If that would have come from a well-established author, I woul
Caroline Walker
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
When I first started reading this book, I was little bored. Once the book got going however, it gained momentum and I was genuinely interested in it. Unfortunately, there are a lot of parallels with today's world that this book has. I think it does a great job of talking about what would happen if aliens showed up and wanted to help us. The political climate in America at least, is tumultuous at best and I think this book does a great job of representing it while adding aliens into the mix.
Lisa
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a bright, young college women is chosen to be a human ambassador to new aliens, they work on a joint study to heal children with cancer.
Unfortunately, it feels they are all pawns to the fabrications and manipulations of the governments, religion and media.
This is a great book that really gets you thinking about what and how we would all react if aliens did arrive!
I put a full review here on YouTube: https://youtu.be/a9x1MeQB4FA
ShinyObject
I received a copy of Star City by Edwin Peng from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed the summary of this YA novel and wanted so much to immerse myself in the story, but I just couldn't. The writing style was solid, but the main characters just lacked some chemistry so the plot didn't gel to me.
Neil
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

This is a young adult science fiction / romance.
Unfortunately it just felt too long and slow for me.
The characters were also very wooden with very little emotion.
OK but not brilliant.
Sharon
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great story
good read win (thank you)
enjoyed and looking forward to the next installment
Lynda Stevens
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great deal of early SF was preoccupied with how humanity might react were they to encounter an intelligent species from another planet. Surely they would react quite well......

Enter the Bah'ren, a humanoid species a notch or two more evolved both technologically and socially than humans.

The aliens are trying to help humans by producing a cure for osteosarcoma in children. Emma Smith, 18, is selected to be a diplomat and get to know her counterpart in thev equally youthful Sepporinin. Neither
James
Mar 25, 2018
Wendy
May 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
I tried. I really, really tried. But I just couldn't finish the book. And it made me sad. Because Edwin Peng has gone through great lengths to describe a world where aliens (Ba'ren) have just landed on earth. And they came with a wonderful gift: a potential new medicine to help cure cancer! So a group of students and researchers is chosen to work with the aliens to study and develop this cure.
So Emma, one of the chosen biomedical engineers is honored to be working with the aliens. She didn't cou
Amanda
Oct 08, 2017
Wahid Akash
rated it did not like it
Dec 18, 2017
Madi Nation
Jun 10, 2018
Jessica
Aug 31, 2017
Tiana
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Star City was a straightforward enjoyable read. The characters will written and fun to follow and it had a premise that was interesting and a bit different from what I would typically read.

I think that what pulled me out of everything and made me feel that while this was enjoyable I wouldn’t really read the sequel is the fact that while it was well-written it felt like there was something missing. I don’t know if it’s that there wasn’t enough conflict or that the characters never made enough of
Toni
Nov 18, 2018
Tiana
Jan 04, 2018
John Piper
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the book. Well written, and the characters draw you in. Dialog was great too. Definitely worth the read!
Books & Boba: Star City by Edwin Peng 3 15 Dec 05, 2017 03:17AM
Edwin Peng lives in beautiful Lincoln, Nebraska with his beloved Pokémon buddy, Eevee. During the day, he indulges in super-villainy by performing high-power laser research at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. At night, his secret identity is that of a literary superhero fighting to make the Young Adult Science Fiction genre less clichéd and more inclusive.

Edwin is the author of the Star City se

Star City (6 books)
  • The Announcement (Star City, #0.1)
  • The Test (Star City #0.2)
  • The Meeting (Star City #0.3)
  • Friendship Village (Star City #2)
  • Embassy Town (Star City #3)