Start by marking “The Legend of Sigmar (Warhammer Chronicles)” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Sigmar (Warhammer Chronicles)

The Legend of Sigmar

(Warhammer Chronicles)

Sigmar is the greatest leader of men the world has ever known. By saving the high king of the dwarfs, he earned the eternal friendship of the mountain folk. When a mighty horde of orcs threatened his lands, he united the tribes of men to stand against them at Black Fire Pass. He broke the siege of Middenheim and pushed back the forces of Chaos. In defeating the great necro

Published August 26th 2017 by Black Library (first published July 24th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Sigmar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend of Sigmar

Start your review of The Legend of Sigmar (Warhammer Chronicles)
Sud666
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Sigmar Heldenhammer. A warrior who became a King. A King who became the first Emperor of man. An Emperor who became, in time, a god. Sigmar reminds me of the character of Talos from the game, Skyrim. A human king who rose to rule all the tribes of men and then became a god.

The Legend of Sigmar collects the three books that tell the tale of Sigmar. Heldenhammer, Empire and God-King are the three novels collected into this one tome.

The first book covers the time from the death of his father Bjorn,
Dylan Murphy
I never thought that I would get into Warhammer Fantasy. I had a good number of fantasy series that I was into(Sword of Truth, Song of Ice and Fire, LoTR, etc.) but after I saw that Black Library released these GIGANTIC(literally the biggest things on my bookshelf) omnibus editions, with amazing artwork, for only $17.50, I had to check it out.
The trilogy had me from the get go, I fell in love with Reikdorf, Sigmar, Wolfgart, Ravenna, etc.
All of the characters feel real, from Sigmar in his flawed
Adon Coya
An interesting trilogy, where the writer matured while writing - the third book is by far the best of the three. Having played RPG in this world, I found the description consistent and interesting. Characters are a bit shallow and two-dimensional, especially in the first book that presents a narrative in tandem with medieval viking sagas. The most bloated part was the battle descriptions (and there were a lot of those) which focused a lot on what actors were doing instead of advancing the plot - ...more
Gavin Gates
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the world of Warhammer the name Sigmar and the legends of his exploits are pretty well known, so, being more a fan of a good adventure than of hack and slash this trilogy (Heldenhammer, Empire and Godking) 'Heldenhammer' sets out bringing together the rise of Sigmar from his first battle to the battle of the Black Fire Pass (very significant in the timeline of the warhammer setting) throughout Sigmar is obviously the main focus, the dialogue stays realistic and to my surprise Sigmar is portra ...more
David
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: warhammer
Never thought I would like anything about the Empire, but this book gives a very good overview of how the Empire began.
Chad
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like the Warhammer universe, this book is a five star. If not but love fantasy, it's a four star read. I loved it!
Denis
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Legend of Sigmar, written by Graham McNeill, is an omnibus containing the fantasy Warhammer's trilogy about the Empire's founder with an addition of a short story in the book's final part. This collection fully focuses on Sigmar’s first twenty five years of ruling and the initial, very dangerous threats which would be the united land’s doom if not defeated.
The first volume, Heldenhammer, tells the story of the Emperor as a growing youth, taught and guided by his father and closest, childhood
Heinz Reinhardt
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not much more I can add that hasn't already been said before. Read this concurrently with reading some of the new Age of Sigmar fiction. This tome is hands down so far superior to anything published in the AoS line as to make me weep over the demise of the Old World.
This is genuinely a terrific story, written in an epic and solemn fashion that places this on par with other, more mainstream, works like Game of Thrones (not at all hyperbole, this is genuinely good fantasy, not just merely a media
Jack Volante
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great omnibus. Such a wonderful read, experiencing the formation of the Empire as Sigmar works really hard to unite the human clans, over many years. I loved the way that each human clan has its own unique 'flavour'.
I was also over-the-moon to see my favourite Warhammer character make an appearance: Nagash!

I'd give this book a good 4.5/5, but Goodreads won't let me.

Well worth a read for all classic Warhammer fans.
Hogan
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think that this book was exceptionally good, and it balanced a lot of different things in it like romance, humor, terror, courageous deeds and more. I liked it because it taught me more than any other book has ever taught me, and after reading it I just wanted to start rereading it instantly.
Andrew
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The legend

A great book to start and build the foundation on the warhammer universe! Quick read with all the excitement in every chapter.
Ted Zarek
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Man, what a long, epic read. Like reading a movie in action, the scenes are easy to picture which creates even more awesome images in your head as you read.
Niccolò Ceresa
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wh-fantasy
Good book about Sigmar, describing not only battles and fights but also the Early Empire condition.

Pieter Houtman
Quite dull at times, some willpower required to finish it. Interesting read though if you want to know more about the Warhammer world.
Ronald Scott
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing Fantasy Story
Sethatonious
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a solid read, especially for those who enjoy the warhammer realm. My only complaint is the ending. Not what happens, but more so how quickly it happen. It felt like the author had no time to finish the book the way he wanted to, and just threw a simple ending together to give the story come closure.
James Blackwell
Misha
Aug 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Rise of Nagash
  • Horus Rising (Horus Heresy #1)
  • Valdor: Birth of the Imperium (The Horus Heresy: Characters)
  • The Sundering (Warhammer Chronicles)
  • Masters of Stone and Steel (Warhammer Chronicles)
  • Gotrek & Felix: The First Omnibus
  • Xenos (Eisenhorn #1)
  • Trollslayer (Gotrek & Felix #1)
  • Magician (The Riftwar Saga, #1-2)
  • Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Collector's Edition: Prima Official Game Guide
  • Skavenslayer (Gotrek & Felix #2)
  • The Flight of the Eisenstein (The Horus Heresy #4)
  • Galaxy in Flames (The Horus Heresy #3)
  • The Solar War (The Siege of Terra #1)
  • Vampire Wars: The von Carstein Trilogy (Warhammer Chronicles)
  • Imaro
  • Monster, She Wrote: The Women Who Pioneered Horror and Speculative Fiction
Hailing from Scotland, Graham McNeill narrowly escaped a career in surveying to work for Games Workshop as a games designer. He has a strong following with his novels Nightbringer, Warriors of Ultramar, Dead Sky, Black Sun and Storm of Iron.

Warhammer Chronicles (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Rise of Nagash
  • Vampire Wars: The von Carstein Trilogy (Warhammer Chronicles)
  • The Sundering (Warhammer Chronicles)
  • Champions Of Chaos (Warhammer Chronicles)
  • The War Of Vengeance Omnibus (Warhammer Chronicles)
  • Matthias Thulmann: Witch Hunter
  • Ulrika the Vampire (Warhammer Chronicles)
  • Masters of Stone and Steel (Warhammer Chronicles)
  • Tyrion and Teclis (Warhammer Chronicles)
  • Warriors of the Chaos Wastes (Warhammer Chronicles)