Start by marking “Living the Good Death” as Want to Read:
Living the Good Death

Living the Good Death

Wearing nothing but psych ward pajamas and fluffy slippers, the odd girl wasn’t really dressed to kill. Being the Grim Reaper, however, she felt confident she could make it work.

Have you ever had one of those days? You know, the kind of day when things just don’t go your way. Like when your botched suicide attempt and claims of supernatural powers get you hauled to the eme
Published November 20th 2017 by Curiouser

To ask other readers questions about Living the Good Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living the Good Death

Start your review of Living the Good Death
Sammie
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways, edelweiss
Living The Good Death is a romantic dark comedy, which is right up my alley, complete with she-death, meet-cutes, some pretty big-wig mythological name drops, and enough mystery to keep the reader guessing.

I confess, I came close to DNF'ing this at about 10% because I just couldn't get into it and wasn't sure where it was heading. About 15% in, it picked up, and I'm glad I didn't give up on it. It's funny (if you're into dark humor) and has a wonderful ending/moral.

Thanks to the author and Edelw
Giselle
Oct 20, 2017 marked it as to-read
Request an ARC here: [closed - other review opportunities found here] ...more
Gaele
I was completely unprepared for how much I enjoyed this novel: with a synopsis that just screamed out to be read and themes that mix lighthearted humor, self-discovery, a ‘Cuckoo’s Nest’ like mental hospital and plenty of revelations. Death appears to be a mid-twenties young woman, pale, pretty and very much dedicated to her job. She has a purpose, and thinking further than that isn’t really necessary. Until she tries to use her ‘power’ to take another soul, and wakes face down on the carpet in ...more
just.one.more.paige
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: magical-realism
This review originally appeared on the book review blog: Just One More Pa(i)ge.

“You know, for a long time I thought every human life was just a clock waiting to run out. No matter what they did, it made no difference. At the end of their time, no one was special, no one was unique, and no matter who they were or what they’d accomplished, they’d all die, just like any other.”

I had never heard of this novel, or author, until a few weeks ago when he emailed to say that he enjoyed my reviews and wo
Kelly
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book needs to be a movie! It's perfect! It just sucks you in and you can't help but get mad when Dorothy is wronged, or feel happy/understanding when she discovers coffee!! It's soooo much more than that. Loved it. Love love loved it. It will be one of few books in my collection I will reread over and over.
Taiwo | A Lifestyle Nerd
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received an e-ARC from Xpresso Book Tours (http://xpressobooktours.com/) That does not affect my review in any way.

An indication that a reader likes a book is usually shown when this reader exhibits some kind of big emotion while reading that book. For me, it may be clapping in glee or just plain wonder; or laughing loudly or being so scared that I don’t sleep well (I get scared easily).

However, the best books I’ve ever read are those that make me cry (although that’s very weird) Usually, the
Sara Oxton
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Living the good death by Scott Baron a five-star read that will make you glad to be alive and reading. This is my first read by this author and I am so glad I took a chance and read it, it’s been on my kindle for a little while and I kept putting it off as I was wondering if the book would be as good as the blurb and cover. It was so much better, if the paperback was cheaper I would be buying everyone it for Christmas presents as I know loads of people would ignore the book as it’s a fantasy gen ...more
Ann
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this story about death. There have been several books published recently about the grim reaper being a woman and this is a nice addition to that list. It was a little darker than I anticipated from reading the blurb I thought it would be a little more humorous. I liked the adding a few mythological creature throughout the story. Much of the story is set in a psych ward of a hospital and it is a little depressing with touches of suicide and attempted rape. A good fantasy comes t ...more
Sam Miller
Feb 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
I received this book in exchange for my honest review:

I did not care for this book at all. For one, it seemed confusing and rather dragging. The second was there should be some kind of trigger warning or something as there are ( SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALART ) multiple suicide attempts, which I didn't like either. The premise seemed good, but for me the writing seemed rushed and it just wasn't very cohesive for me.
Ellie Mitchell
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Scott Baron is a master storyteller.
Never a dull moment. He has re-kindled my love of literature.

Living the Good Death, by Scott Baron is a fantasy novel unlike any other. Imagine being Death, but having been robbed of your supernatural abilities. The girl who thinks she is death (AKA Dorothy) finds herself stranded in the world of the living with no power, money, and no way to return to the realm of the dead. There’s only one thing for it- she must die!

I found myself drawn in from the start wit
Tracett
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a fun weekend read. I ignored all my chores so that I could find out: is she a madwoman or is she Death? Well balanced writing kept me going back and forth between the two. Not all the plotting was perfect, but I didn't care. I laughed, I cried. I love the cover; if you like the cover as well, you'll probably like the book.
Elise Ochoa
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Received in a Goodreads giveaway.

Wow. At first, it wasn't what I expected at all. I loved the mythical creatures sprinkled throughout the book. Especially the three greek ladies. The ending had to be my favorite. You'd think it'd be one of those depressing endings where he kills himself and leaves his little girl all alone but nope! Everything tied together great.
E.A.
( I voluntarily received a ARC of this book )

Living the Good Death by Scott Baron was an okay read, that for me could have been more exciting if the pacing was faster and the filler cut short.

Not my favourite-est read of the year, in truth I was disappoint. The opening was spot on, it was solid and it really draws you in. It was going good until Death found herself in the psych ward. Things slowed down, and it for me, dragged on. There was too many mundane things going on, to many day-to-day
Linda
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Living the Good Death by Scott Baron

The girl who thought she was Death is having a very bad time. She has no idea if she has done something wrong to be banished to a human form when she awakens on a dirty carpet in a low rent motel with a foggy memory. She has tried to off herself in different ways and fails miserably each time to die. Her last attempt was the most horrific and landed her in a not so modern psych facility that needs patients to maintain their bottom line. It often frustrated Doc
Fiona
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ltmg
Disclaimer: I was given this book for free by the author as part of the Library Thing Member Giveaway (LTMG) program for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book. It is a much slower pace than what I usually read, but I was captivated the whole way through due to great character development and a good story that left me wondering is Death who she really claims to be or is it all in her head. I found that I really liked Death aka Dorothy, Curtis, Angela and Randy. As can be expected, I did no
Sharkie
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
*** Transparency alert - I did receive this as an ARC. But that has zero impact on how absolutely great this book is ***

Honestly, this is going to be a hard review to write while also avoiding spoilers. I'll try, but if I fail I'll warn you.

This book is a silly, but also deep, emotional but fun roller coaster. I was laughing so much through the entire thing, and then that twist came in and... let it be known, Scott is a king of twists that you would never suspect. And this one was even more unex
Leanne
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, knock me sideways and call me Mary...
I was not expecting that!
I've never read anything by this author but I can assure you, if the rest of his work is this good then I'm going to be his new biggest fan!

Initially I was sucked in by the cover (go ahead and judge me, I don't care!) Then I read the blurb. After having read some pretty blah books lately, Living The Good Death sounded like it would be a nice easy read to get me back in the swing of things.

Boy! Right from the get go I was swingi
Ana (thestarslisten)
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
*ARC was given by the author in exchange for an honest review.*

SPOILER REVIEW

Forever is today, but forever.

I had high hopes and a different expectation for this book. I got disappointed because it wasn't what I expected, and other factors too.

What I expected:
1. It would be humorous and colorful
2. The setting will be in different locations

What actually happened:
1. It was quite dark
2. Yeah the story took her to different locations but it's mostly based in the Psych Ward and I don't know why but th
yorkshirebooknerd
I have never read anything by this author but the synopsis really caught my interest.

A girl who thinks she’s death finds herself human and in a psychiatric ward.

The story was unique and interesting. The characters are well developed and likeable. The writing style is engaging and well paced.

Parts of the story felt very real and touching, especially some of the psych ward scenes but some had me laughing out loud, like the cotton candy scene with Curtis (you’ll know it when you get there).

Well w
Jessica Wilhelmsson
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Totally AMAZING!!!
This book is absolutley fantastic! This is a "must read book"!! It has a really great story. I tried the hole book to figure out how it would end, during the time I went on all emotions I think. This book is funny, exciting, sad, funny, makes you hate some characters and laugh out load at some.
The story has an unusal storyline witch I liked. I cant put it in one genre because it moves over a lot of genres. Sometimes it is so real that you feel like you read a memoair. That mea
Bookhacker
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
"I did receive an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review"
I can happily say that this book was amazing! The Synopsis for the book just makes it seem very much more complicated then it is. I was dragged into the book in the first 50 pages, and even if the book had a slow pace it never became really boring. Sure I may have jumped over some sentences some times but that always happens when a book is 900+ pages long right? The book deals with mental illness in an deep but still funny way.
Lauren
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I won this book from the Goodreads giveaways. I finally won a book! Hooray!

I loved the first few chapters of this book and was really excited about the story since it seemed like a very unique story. However, I didn't find many of the characters very likable, so I had a hard time getting through the book. The story is centered on the nameless "girl who thought she was death" (a.k.a. the Grim Reaper), who ends up in a psych ward. I liked that the book had the reader questioning who the girl real
Leslie Wiederspan
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.*

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I was expecting the typical goofiness that I have previously read from this author. Honestly, it was a silly story, but a really well told and intriguing one. A little whimsy, fantasy, and love. I found it hard to put down once I started. I really wanted to know why Death was the way she was. The ending was perfect and not rushed. Really, a great story!
Liz
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you GoodReads for this copy of Living the Good Death, a fun win in one of your book giveaways.
I'd give the book 3 1/2 stars - concept of the book was interesting, the grim reaper in the form of a snarky millennial who just might or might not be an escaped mental patient. The story itself flowed well, and I enjoyed the read, though the writing itself at times faltered. I am not sure if it was the over descriptive prose at the beginning or the commentary asides the writer threw in that thre
Peter Carlstrom
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

Utterly original story of Death catching a bad break (or is it?) and becoming mortal. Sure enough psychiatric hospital is not the best setting for Death to regain her powers and a psychopath doctor in charge makes things totally miserable especially when romantic feelings get involved....
Teri Miller
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not what I was expecting.

Fresh from the Bad Luck Charlie stories I was expecting more quirk. Great story, truly hateful baddies, and the good guys are fun loving nice people who are trying to do the right things. I really like Death, her quirky (insane?) friends, but I sort of fell apart over the ending.
DarkRaven Reviews
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, an amazing story. This is one I will be re reading and enjoying all over again
Kim
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A surprisingly good read

I was a little leery when starting the book. The premise was interesting, but how far am I willing to stretch incredulity? Once I started though, I couldn’t put it down, and it turned out to be a good thing. I’m glad I took the chance!
Phil Jenkins
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a very fun read, reminiscent of the works of Terry Pratchett, but with a distinctly different and original voice. I look forward to more from Mr. Baron!
Lyra
Jun 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Intriguing, but a bit uneven - some characters/ plot threads needed more development, but engaging nonetheless.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Page Number Correction 2 12 Feb 21, 2018 09:04AM
Book Giveaways: Living the Good Death - Dark urban fantasy/romantic comedy 8 18 Sep 17, 2017 06:54PM

• The Lord of Stariel (Stariel, #1)
  • Coyote Blue
  • The Bobiverse (Signed Limited Edition)
  • My Name is Nelson
  • Reaper Unexpected (Deadside Reapers, #1)
  • Heaven's River (Bobiverse #4)
  • Trillion
  • Shakespeare for Squirrels
  • Diamond in the Rough (Diamond, #1)
  • The Killing Dance (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #6)
  • White Trash Zombie Unchained (White Trash Zombie, #6)
  • Homefront (Expeditionary Force, #7.5)
  • Working for Bigfoot (The Dresden Files, #15.5)
  • Beat the Reaper (Peter Brown #1)
  • Sophie and The Odd Ones
  • Shooters and Chasers
  • Some Dead Genius
  • The Wizard's Butler
Scott Baron is an American author with a penchant for oddball stories with O. Henry-esque twists.

Born in Hollywood, Baron credits growing up in Los Angeles with skewing his humor towards the offbeat and absurd. He studied abroad in Italy during his college years, returning to Los Angeles to work in the film industry as an on-set medic. In addition to writing shorts and novels, Baron is also a scr

News & Interviews