Start by marking “Heart of Mist (The Oremere Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Heart of Mist (The Oremere Chronicles, #1)

Heart of Mist

(The Oremere Chronicles #1)

In a realm where toxic mist sweeps the lands and magic is forbidden, all Bleak wants is a cure for her power.

Still grieving the death of her guardian and dangerously self-medicating with alcohol, Bleak is snatched from her home by the Commander of the King’s Army, and summoned to the capital. But the king isn’t the only one interested in Bleak's powers.

The leader of an i
Published August 25th 2017 by Talem Press

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Mist, please sign up.
Kyra Not really? There are some feelings of jealousy but it's not a full blown love triangle. I think the romance in Heart of Mist is handled really well;…moreNot really? There are some feelings of jealousy but it's not a full blown love triangle. I think the romance in Heart of Mist is handled really well; what romance there is, is complementary to the story and not used as a plot device.(less)
Helen Scheuerer 'The Oremere Chronicles' will be a trilogy, with the second book, 'Reign of Mist' due out in September :)

Dianne
Alcohol deadens the sounds of the voices she hears and the things she sees in her mind. Bleak lost everything in her life twice and now she is on her own, with no one to lean on, no one trust with her secret, a secret that could get her killed, a secret others want for the power it will give them and no way to find a cure that could save her life, her sanity and even her future.

She grew up in a land where magic is forbidden and her kind, the Ashai were feared, hated and put to death in “The Mist
Nikki (Book Allure)
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I’m gonna start this review by saying that it’s not the book, it’s me. I think I’ve read too many fantasy books one after another that my expectations are set very high—a little too high, in fact.

Heart of Mist had an interesting premise. The reading experience is hard to explain because while the descriptions in the book were beautiful, I found the plot going much faster than I anticipated. The world building was intertwined with it
Fernanda (the.wanderlust.reader)
You can find this review and more at The Wanderlust Reader!

4.5/5 STARS

*I received an e-ARC of this novel from the author in exchange for an honest review*

YOU GUYS. I don’t know if there are enough words in the human language to express how much I loved Heart of Mist but I shall give it a try.

I had a feeling that I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book even before I read it because I am a sucker for forbidden magic and secrets and anyone who goes by the name ‘Bleak’. I mean, who wouldn’t be?! W
Kate (beautifulbookland)
2018 reread - okay so I loved this the first time around but omfg I’m bumping my rating up from 4 stars to 5 because any book that can keep you gripped even when you know what’s gonna happen is a total winner.

Review:

I feel like this book is going to be getting lots of attention - it definitely deserves it!

There were points where I was reminded of Throne of Glass, Truthwitch and Frostblood; Helen Scheuerer creates such a fantastically detailed world that draws you in effortlessly.

In a world whe
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an e-ARC of this novel from the author in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts are my own.

Where do I even begin with this review!? Heart of Mist completely blew away the expectations I had for this novel. On receiving the synopsis from Scheuerer, I thought - okay a fantasy novel, I’m most likely going to like it, it’ll probably have some romantic plot line which will have me hook line and sinker… but I was not prepared for how much I would fall in love and for how different it
Bec
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a gem of a book and I need the next one! I can't wait to see how this continues, I'll have a review up shortly, too! Will link it when it's written!

REVIEW! (Spoiler free.)

Helen approached me, asking if I’d like to read Heart of Mist, and as soon as I read the synopsis I KNEW I WANTED THE WHOLE THING. I loved Bleak. She’s so sarcastic, vulnerable and flawed. It’s not often you see a protagonist in YA drinking so profusely, so the way that shaped her character was incredibly unique and in
Beth
5 Stars!

Spoiler Free Review...

I have so many questions relating to this, I went in knowing nothing about this, I can't even remember why I bought the book, but this was my number one read for January and I'm so glad that I've read it. This is a slow build kind of book, there's a lot of things you have to learn and still lots of things I don't know (hopefully I'll find out when Reign of Mist arrives so I can read that ASAP).

There's so much that drew me in with this, the characters, the setting, t
Stacy
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

No spoilers in this rapid review. I give it 4.5 stars. I have read many good novels by debut authors recently, but Heart of Mist is easily the best one. In fact, it’s the best series opener I’ve read by any author in quite some time. It does what any great initial book needs to do: introduces complex characters, builds an intriguing world, and provides many mysteries, some solved in this book and some to be solved
Shealea
With Heart of Mist, I don’t think I can find enough words to fully and adequately express how much I loved it. To say that I found this novel to be delightful and refreshing is a huge understatement. I was so immersed in its story that every now and then, I questioned if I was actually under a spell. In fact, I’m almost absolutely certain that the copy Helen sent me was enchanted with the strongest and most potent of Valian herbs. Heart of Mist is simply, purely, wonderfully magic.

Bleak’s moral
Karlita | Tale Out Loud
Full Review at Tale Out Loud | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Actual rating:  4.5 out of 5 stars

I originally have three-page review for this book but I really, super tried to scrape off a page that I'm sure only amounted to my unnecessary rants, and practically sounded like an old broken record. So, here I am pointing out all the important things you should know about the Heart of Mist by Helen Scheuerer.

❥ Effective multiple points of view
Each character has their distinct purpose that surrou
Filipa de Oliveira
Before I start writing coherently, I must to say: I NEED THE NEXT BOOK RIGHT NOW!!!! Okay, ufff, I just needed to get that out there.

I do admit that when I started reading Heart of Mist I thought that it was yet another YA Fantasy novel with nothing new to offer. There were several similarities with Throne of Glass and I felt like I had read all that before already. Well, I was wrong, very wrong! Yes, there are certain aspects of Heart of Mist that have already been seen on other YA books featur
Sarah (The Clever Reader)
This story takes hold of you from the very beginning. It’s a YA fantasy that features the most unlikely of main characters. Bleak is a drunk who is known to be one of the town’s most renowned gutter rats. She’s taken one day to be presented to the king, or to her death if you were to ask her, but on the way she encounters a group of warrior women known as the legendary Kindred. Only then is her world turned upside down and she becomes aware of how different she really is.

Only a few of the many s
Jamie
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
✮ Read this review and more like it on The Last Page

The plot at its base has some familiar fantasy elements: a main character with unknown powers, a medieval high fantasy setting with kings and knights, political rivalries, forbidden magic, class tension, corrupt royalty, and of course rampant abuse towards women. As the story unfolds Heart of Mist adds some refreshing twists to the classic hero’s journey.

The thing that made this book really stand out to me was how the plot tackles various soc
Alaina
Heart of Mist was such a good book! Well it was really okay but I also couldn't put it down! Even though I'm not a fan of the MC's name because Bleak is just so freaking weird to read and say.. I still really enjoyed the book.

Now even though I'm not a fan of her name.. I'm also not really a fan of one of the places mentioned in this book: Valia. It just seemed so freaking weird (I know I keep saying that a lot - but trust me it really was!) just because of their standards and how they viewed wha
Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink*
This book had such potential but in the end it just fell flat.

It is a case of both having way too much going on but nothing really *happens* throughout the whole book. Sure, the writing was good but there was not a strong enough plot to hold it all together. There was a lot of travelling around and waiting but very little action in the long run.

There is another point that I would like to make. I think that authors feel the need to introduce all important characters in the first book, regardless
Joel | FictionalFates
Originally reviewed at Fictional Fates

This was an ARC provided to me by the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Helen Scheuerer for giving me the opportunity to review this book.

If you wanted to read some prequel stories to Heart of Mist, click here!

Heart of Mist was outstanding all in all.
It's plot, characters, and world building was fantastic.
When you have a story you don't want to let go of, it's quite hard to say goodbye to it. This is exactly the impression Heart
Kyra
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**SPOILER FREE **
Summary:
From the very first chapter I knew Heart of Mist was going to whisk me away to my dream fantasy world. I love books I can fully escape into, and Heart of Mist certainly gave me that. Not only was the worldbuillding and magic system thoughtful and interesting, but the characters (both major and minor) were well-rounded and felt real. They were going through realistic emotions that I could relate to, and they made me think about important themes (like alcoholism, family, i
Jen T
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised how different this book ended up being from my initial look at the synopsis. Don’t get me wrong, I was pulled in from the beginning. To explain my surprise – a lot of YA fantasy lately (to me and this my opinion) has always had some sort of love interest or a little romance. Not every book but a decent chunk of them. Now, in Heart of Mist, it hinted at bits and pieces of romance but there’s no definite road that I felt was shown. This book was refreshing in it felt lik ...more
Kirsty Hanson
Surprisingly, I haven't heard a lot about this book around the blogosphere and the booktube community... But when I saw the cover when I was browsing Audible, I was immediately intrigued, so I read the premise and just spontaneously bought it. It sounded like just the kind of book that I really enjoy.

Maggie • Library of Colors
Also posted at Library of Colors.

I want this to be as spoiler free as possible, so let’s just sum up the things that I absolutely loved about this book.

Characters. Helen’s characters are deep - I felt like I was really able to get to know them, leaving me loving most but also having strong feelings about others. Fiore <3 was a character I loved getting to know, and of course Bleak was someone I didn’t expect to connect with so much. The way Helen writes about addiction and drowning away pain
Kayla
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This unique, character-driven fantasy novel really gripped me. Helen's training in literary fiction shined through this debut, and part of what made this book strong was its emphasis on the characters' emotional development throughout the novel. There's action and adventure, but I always got the feeling that this novel is about so much more than just kingdoms rivaling each other. The Valians are the female-led battle society that make this story so fascinating!

In the novel, we have this mysterio
Justine
Reading Heart of Mist was such a wonderful experience. I enjoyed every page and minute of it.

Here’s some reasons why:

~ I love the magic. Sure we had seen countless from the others before but the way it was presented? It was like eating my favorite candy the first time. It was enchanting. I adore it and excited to delve into more of it in Reign of Mist!

description

~ I love the pacing. Heart of Mist was fast, full of turns, palm sweating excitement, secrets, action, strong points of beliefs, that I gripped al
Aleesha
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I already can't wait to reread this book as soon as I can get my hands on a print copy! The inside is as gorgeous as the outside. The writing is beautiful and the story is exciting, and I loved how addictive it was. Now to wait for Book Two!
Teigan
Jun 22, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Pretty cover.
Sara (Book Series Recaps)
I love a good fantasy adventure and this series-starter by debut author Hellen Scheuerer didn't disappoint. If you're a YA fantasy fan, add it to your "Want to Read" list now. :)

For our full BSR review of Heart of Mist, click here...
Stephanie
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I received this e-arc from Helen herself in exchange for an honest review. Please note that all thoughts are my own and have not been influenced in any way. Also, thank you to Helen for giving me the opportunity to read this amazing novel.

I’m going to be honest, when I started reading this, I had no idea what it was going to be about because I had forgotten the synopsis after picking it a month after Helen contacted me. I was also weary of the fantasy genre because I had recently been disappoint
Jessica McMinn
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a strong debut from YA author Helen Scheuerer, Heart of Mist fills the classic fantasy epic with a cast of wonderfully gritty characters and themes relevant to the modern-day reader. Beautifully written, the vibrant and detailed world of Ellest and its surrounds promise to be a favourite amongst young and old readers alike.
Megan Olguin
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So many well thought out, flawed, beautiful characters.
These characters suffer from things like addiction, depression, deep loss, hidden no sexual romance, unrequited love, and so much more.
The story started off interesting and never quit.
I was very overwhelmed with how much was happening... And also how little actually did happen.
Also, I am frustrated with the enormous amount of unanswered questions... But I will just have to wait for the next book! I

Romance? Nope.
Happy endings? Not
Ivey Byrd
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not know what to expect when I started this book, but after reading the prologue, I knew I was in for a crazy journey filled with diverse characters and mysteries galore. First of all, the main character, Bleak, was a character that I immediately connected to. In the beginning, we see her at one of the lowest points in her life and my heart broke for her, but she had a resilience about her that I loved as well. She isn't the type of whiny and incapable main character who waits for things t ...more
Chelsi
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Find this review and others on my blog Let Them Read Cake . This review contains spoilers!

“Bleak straightened herself; she wasn’t going to die for the king. She wasn’t going to become a prisoner or experiment of his. She’d rather die with salt water in her lungs and mist in her heart. She was free. She had to try.”

Hey, guys! I am back with a review for Heart of Mist by Helen Scheuerer! I found this book at random on Goodreads and downloaded it onto my e-reader right away. It sounded really cool
  • Lonen's War (Sorcerous Moons, #1)
  • Dragon-Ridden (Dragon Ridden Chronicles, #1)
  • The Snow Pony
  • P is for Pearl
  • The Book of Whispers
  • The Gods of Men (Gods of Men, #1)
  • Chasing Paris
  • Royal Ball (Pimpernel #2)
  • Seductive Powers (The Capes, #1)
  • The Rose Mark (Black Rose Sorceress, #1)
  • Unbound (The Griever's Mark #3)
  • Aurora: Pegasus (Aurora, #2)
  • Goddess
  • A Kingdom of Exiles (Outcast #1)
  • Empress of Storms
  • The Lyre Thief (Hythrun Chronicles: War of the Gods, #1)
  • Esme's Wish (Esme Series #1)
  • Fire in the Sea
Helen Scheuerer is a YA fantasy author from Sydney, Australia. Heart of Mist is the first book in her high fantasy trilogy, The Oremere Chronicles. It explores themes of identity, belonging, loyalty, addiction, loss, and responsibility.

Helen is also the Founding Editor of Writer’s Edit (www.writersedit.com), an online literary magazine and learning platform for emerging writers. It’s now one of th

The Oremere Chronicles (2 books)
  • Reign of Mist (The Oremere Chronicles, #2)
“No one deserved to feel unsafe in their own skin for someone else’s pleasure.” 2 likes
“We have to play to the strengths we were given.” 1 likes