Start by marking “Someone to Call My Own (Road to Blissville, #2)” as Want to Read:
Someone to Call My Own (Road to Blissville, #2)

Someone to Call My Own

(Road to Blissville #2)

Psychic Emory Jackson and former black ops specialist Jonathon Silver are men from two completely different worlds with one thing in common: heartbreak. Emory still mourns the loss of his husband five years prior, and Jon is reeling with grief from the recent death of his twin brother.

Sparks fly when mutual friends introduce them, but it’s so much more than basic attractio
Published September 5th 2017

Dia
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Dia by: Denise H.
This one was not a winner for me. It's my first book by this author and I was pretty excited to read it. Most of my friends loved it and it has a pretty high rate here on GR. For many reasons I just couldn't connect to the story or the main characters.

The writing wasn't what I was expecting and the insta-love took me by surprise. And not in a good way.

I must mention I can't help myself and will slip some spoilers ahead. Read on your own risk.

So, the beginning was sad, Emory lost his husband i
Jenni Lea
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: bmbr
We met Emory and Jon back in the Curl Up and Dye series. Emory, Josh's enigmatic new neighbor who moved into the 'Murder House' and Jon, Nate's twin brother who popped up out of nowhere (literally) have had a somewhat volatile relationship since the first time they set eyes on one another.

Emory is still grieving over the loss of his husband, River, five years ago and isn't looking to ever find love again. He's a bit broken and the guilt and anguish over River's death is eating him up inside and
Denise H.
*** I absolutely love this author and her series ! ***
We get to re-engage with some of the Curl Up and Dye, (which I adored), series members here, and we get a fabulous pair of men we have been wondering about.
Psychic Emory,

who's partner died five years ago,
meets Jonathan,

who has a tortured past, where he lost his twin brother.
Jonathan's brother's murder was still an open investigation.
Each man "wants someone to call his own."
Beautifully written tale of two men who just need to give in t
Chris
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
I love this spin off series and I hope more is to come - the characters are so much fun. Quirky, broody, sassy and at times surprising . This was Emory and Jon's book and it was beautiful. Emory still working through the grief and loss of his husband finds Jonathan in his sights and can't adjust his feelings. Is he disloyal to River ? Is it right to move on ? Should he hide away and ignore his visions ? Poor Jon is in a similar boat after losing his brother. He is a one night stand master and st ...more
Elizabeth
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I found these two characters the most interesting from the previous books in this series and the Curl up and Dye series and I was looking forward to their book. Gawd this just was not as good as I wanted it to be. Emory and Jonathan dance around each other for way too long and then towards the end of the book Emory appears to do a complete 180 without any explanation. The book drags on with these two going back and forth and it retells too many aspects of the previous books from their perspectiv ...more
Sanaa  ☆ Sanaa's Book Blog ☆
3.5 stars.

I felt like this was very insta-love. I did love the characters, the plot, and the way the story flowed so easily. The two main characters, Emory & Jackson, fit really well together despite their pasts.

An arc was provided in exchange for an honest review.
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Like the first in this series 2★'s = it was ok.

I am pretty sure that loving the Curl up and Dye Mysteries does not guarantee you will love the Road to Blissville Series.

I think me and this spin-off should part ways. I really disliked the first book and while I liked this one a little bit more, maybe 2.5★'s, I just don’t think I can round up.

First off. It is not fair to readers that have read the original series the spin-off is based off of for you to do pretty much a retelling in the new book.
Janja
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it

According to estimates, I am disappointed with the story itself. The main heroes were by no means well presented, given that half of the story was about how they were hunting each other around. An unfinished and superficial story, that comes close to the good at the end.
Rachel Emily
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have really been looking forward to Jon and Emory's story. We've seen them since the beginning of the Curl up and Dye series, and they were definitely demanding their own story!

For the most part, I loved their own story and reading about their journey to their HEA. As with the first book, there is a lot of duplication in scenes that we saw the Dye series from Josh or Gabe's POV, but this time now from Jon or Emory's POV. I get that you kinda have to do that to really give the full backstory to
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

I think I would really like to find Blissville. The people are amazing, fun and welcoming. But, how these two broken men found their way there was both heart-breaking and hopeful.

Emory Jackson was one very interesting character. He had his fun moments and then his confusing ones. He blamed himself for River’s death. He swore he would never give his heart to anyone again. He tried very hard to push Jon away and did whatever it took to deny the electricity between them. He helps him when he asks b
S.J. Himes
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cried and Laughed

Five stars for the emotions this book dragged out of me. I cried so hard. I love the evolution Emory went through as he found his way to loving Jon. So well done.
Alisa
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it

Great plot idea, not very good execution. This author's style is not my jam at all.
I really liked the premise of this story and the prologue drew me right in. Unfortunately as the story went on it didn't keep the same pace of excitement for me. I had never read this author before so I did not know what to expect. There is nothing wrong with the writing other than it is a style that doesn't work for me. It was a bit too sweet and fluffy for my tastes. I was expecting something a bit gri
SoCalBookReviews
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-owned
~ 4 Stars Overall~

(3.5 Stars for the narration, 4 Stars for the book)

This book is not really a standalone, you really need to at least read book one “Unscripted Love” in this series to understand what is going on and where these characters came from. This series is also a spin-off from the Curl up and Dye series, and we actually get our first glance of them in those books as well. So even starting with those books wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

Let’s start with the audio, Joel Leslie is up there
Cadiva
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything I hoped it would be and then some

I've been waiting for this one ever since Gabe got the shock of his life when he thought he saw Nate Turner - a man he'd once slept with and who had been murdered - and it turned out to be his twin Jonathan Silver.

I'd wanted Nate not to be dead, so this was the next best thing I thought but actually, that's doing Silver a disservice as he turned out to be a wonderful character in his own right.

And his perfect man, the one he hadn't seen coming, was Emo
Briana
3-3.5 Stars~~
There are only a handful of interactions between Emory and Jon during the first half of the book, which is not enough for them to live up to the hype of a couple being brought together by fate. IMO.

The mystical aspect is a romantic twist, but relying so heavily on that to solidify a bond between the two men was disappointing.

Cheating?(view spoiler)
Silkeeeeeereads
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sugar

Sugary sweet read. The characters are lovable and engaging. A lot going on, but easy enough to follow. Enjoyable, cotton candy read.
Julie   (*Happily Ever Chapter*)
This really bums me out to write, but I really didn't enjoy this one at all. Normally, I really love Aimee Nicole Walker's MM romances, but this one drove me nuts. In the synopsis, it says that it can be read as a standalone but I'm not too sure if that's true. Although the first (at least) 25% of the book was rehashing things that have already happened in the both the Road to Blissville AND Curl Up and Dye Mysteries. I was sooo bored because I've already read all of the previous books. I didn't ...more
Jenny Wood
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay, this one just might have been my favorite!

While we still had the back and forth that I despise.... the constant, I love him but I can't back and forth...as this isn't my first with this author, so I knew to expect it. Even if I did want to throw my kindle since I couldn't shake some sense into these imaginary people.
Another thing... I am not a fan of paranormal, in no way shape or form; but Emory being a psychic seemed so genuine. He didn't go all Ms. Chleo or anything, so I enjoyed his v
Carra
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
So, when an author rips my heart out within the first several pages of a story and a box of tissues is needed at the very start, I can usually expect to have an emotional read on my hands—and Someone to Call My Own did not disappoint. I can’t imagine the heartbreaking pain Emory went through losing his husband when and how he did, and I was immediately attached to him from the very start of this book.

Jonathan’s own loss of his twin brother is similarly tragic, though where Emory is more emotiona
Annie
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars- good characters, but the romance felt lackluster

Someone to Call My Own is the second book in the Road to Blissville series but takes part within the Curl Up and Dye universe. There’s a lot of overlap with characters and storylines which will be enjoyable to those familiar to the series. Luckily, there’s also enough backtracking and explanations of the continued plot arcs and previous couples’ stories that this book can be read as a standalone.

Someone to Call My Own was one of those bo
Abbey's Fully Booked
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
The second book in the Road to Blissville series, and I enjoyed it more than the first, but unfortunately still fell just short of the mark for being as good as the Curl & Dye series.

I enjoyed reading back on parts we originally seen from Gabe & Josh's book, it was fun to see from their POV and I loved learning more about Emory and Jon.

The only thing that really let the book down for me was how long it took Emory to come to his senses and acknowledge his feelings for Jon. I understand
*~*~Fawkes, Padfoot, and Prongs~*~*
Something tells me that if I disliked book #1 as much as I did (which was A LOT), then this one will definitely be questionable (just based on all the negative reviews surrounding this particular book)!! I do own the whole series, so I am plowing on!! Here we go ... !!
Don Bradshaw
A beautifully written story of two damaged men fated to be together. I loved the back and forth POV. I can see how this will become a successful series from the interesting characters waiting in the wings.
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
*****narration review only*****

Let me preface this by saying that I'm a Joel Leslie fan. I have enjoyed quite a few of his narrations. (I listen to The Weight of It All and Switched at least once a month) Sometimes, a voice chosen for a character just doesn't work for me. That was the case here. I have no idea if I would have enjoyed this story because the voice for Jonathon grated on my nerves. I couldn't get beyond it. I gave up on the narration at 8%. No rating.
Jenn C
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 ~ Not nearly as fun as Chaz and Kyle's storey but much darker characters to begin with. I never really felt the MC were fleshed out completely and until the end they really didn't spend that much time together. Although when they finally gave in to each other DAMN - it was HOT 🔥🔥

It would have been nice to have a little closure on the Montana thing but perhaps that's the next one - or - Andy and Memphis, or Milo and Andy, or Memphis and Milo - what's next.
Jodi Ciorciari-marinich
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Please raise you hand if you didn't fall in love with Emory from the beginning of this series. We were introduced to him in the Curl Up and Dye series and I was waiting for his story to be told by Aimee.

To use Aimee's words we have Emory who is a broken widower and Jon who is a mysterious man who's witnessed the worst in humanity too many times to count.
But in the end they will align perfectly to pull each other up and be happy again.

Emory's heartache over losing his husband was so well written
Vanna
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars! As the second book in the Blissville Series we finally get to Jon and Emory’s story in this story. These characters were introduced in the Curl Up and Dye series so some of the earlier background is covered from the perspective of the two main MCs, Emory and Jon. Both of them have had tragedies in their life which they are dealing with in their own way. Emory, by using his gift of psychic powers to help others and Jon by fulfilling his brother's wishes. Both are taken-aback by the in ...more
Diverse
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: september-2017
This is book two in Aimee Nicole Walker’s Road to Blissville Series. It’s a spinoff from her Dye Mysteries Series.

In Someone To Call My Own we are getting Emory and Jon’s story… finally. We followed them from The Dye Mysteries series and have been dying to find out what is up with them (no pun intended)

The wait was worth it. It was better than I anticipated and it was such a beautiful and epic tale. Jon and Emory are two torn up men just wandering aimlessly around. It starts with a dream and en
DTM
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh Ms. Walker...I just finished Someone to Call My own...with sad and happy tears..I will be honest..I'm an impatient person and I thought I would want you to get to it immediately because I knew what was coming as I've been anxiously awaiting this book..I have to say your set up was wonderful and even though I knew what was going on in the beginning..you rehashed beautifully...so concise...Also, I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of too much internal musings and this book is full of internal mus ...more
Dara Nelson
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness, the feels in this book. They made my heart pound, they made my chin quiver, they made my tears fall and they made me smile. That's everything you want in a great love story, right? I mean when you read things like this:
"I don't know when or how, but someday I will call you mine, and you will turn to me instead of away"
And this:
"I'm not sure I can stay away from you, but I'm going to try. I can't keep hurting you like this."
"Don't go."

That's what I mean. Go after what you want. Fi
  • The Ghost in the Mirror (Samuel Dexter, #1)
  • Dead Reckoning (Cold Case Psychic #2)
  • Vanishing Time
  • Honor And Pride (Guarding The Gods #2)
  • Deadly Dorian (Ward Security, #3)
  • Guarding His Melody (Enhanced World Standalone)
  • Under a Crescent Moon
  • Memories of You
  • Conquer the Flames (Lang Downs #4)
  • Sugar Season (Maple Springs, #3)
  • Michael's Awakening (Awakening, #1)
  • Facing West (Forever Wilde, #1)
  • Riptide (The Boys of Bellamy, #4)
  • Fool of Main Beach (Love in Laguna, #5)
  • Looking For Love (Semper Fi, The Forever Faithful, #2)
  • Saved (Breaking Free, #1)
  • Strings Attached  (Tales from Ballena Beach, #1)
  • Guarding My Heart
I'm a wife and mother of three teenage kids. I've been married to the same wonderful man for twenty years. I've decided that if I can survive raising three kids then I can survive anything!! I haven't uttered the Mama's curse yet, but it could happen any day now. You know the one..."I hope you have a child just like you someday."

I'm an avid reader and lover of all things romance. I've spent my ent

Road to Blissville (6 books)
  • Unscripted Love (Road to Blissville, #1)
  • Nobody's Prince Charming (Road to Blissville, #3)
  • This Time Around (Road to Blissville, #4)
  • Smoke in the Mirror (Road to Blissville, #5)
  • Inside Out (Road to Blissville, #6)
“I’ve never had someone to call my own and my soul tells me that you’re the one it’s waited for all these years.” 0 likes
“I learned that scars on hearts remained open long after the ones on our bodies healed.” 0 likes