Start by marking “Misunderstood Shark” as Want to Read:
Misunderstood Shark

Misunderstood Shark

(Misunderstood Shark #1)

Every beachgoer knows that there's nothing more terrifying than a... SHARRRK! But this shark is just misunderstood, or is he? In a wholly original, side-splittingly funny story, New York Times bestselling author Ame Dyckman and illustrator Scott Magoon take this perennial theme and turn it on its (hammer)head with a brand-new cheeky character.

The filming of an underwater
Published April 24th 2018 by Orchard Books (first published January 1st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Misunderstood Shark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Misunderstood Shark

Start your review of Misunderstood Shark
Sheri
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One shrewd shark skillfully squelches any talk of his suspicious scheming with a silly story of misperception. But careful, don’t let this sneaky shark see you as shark bait and seize his shot at supper! Loved the format, loved the illustrations, loved the story!
Alice (Married To Books)
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a quick children's picture book, about a shark who falls into some mishaps and who everyone seems to be afraid of. I listened to the audiobook which was only ten minutes long. There are some fun facts about sharks for kids. I can see younger readers reading/listening and enjoying the experience. ...more
Jillian Heise
This was hilarious! And I loved the subtle inclusion of some great facts about sharks and sea creatures also. Would pair well with The Bad Seed.
Mya
Feb 17, 2020 rated it liked it
The illustrations on this book were beautiful done. However, the plot was lacking somewhere.
Beth
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
"The ocean gets its saltiness from the tears of misunderstood sharks."

This book is too funny.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
It's time for Underwater World with Bob, and right in the middle of the live presentation, Bob the jellyfish is interrupted when he sees Shark eating a fish. But, no, explains Shark, he wasn't eating a fish; no, he was just showing the fish his new tooth.

And so goes this little story, with a hungry shark trying to get a meal without appearing in a bad light on TV. The author delightfully intermingles fun shark facts throughout the tale. The ending is especially fun.
Barbara
A broadcaster seeks to reveal the truth about that most misunderstood of species--the shark--and reveals some interesting facts about the species. Each time it looks as thought the shark is about to do what comes naturally to this fierce predator--grab some lunch--he explains to the audience that is watching live that they misunderstood his intentions. This goes on through several iterations until the shark just cannot control his inner urges, and the broadcaster gets a lot closer to his intervi ...more
Beth
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, picture-books
"The ocean gets its saltiness from the tears of misunderstood sharks! I read that somewhere." ...more
Abigail
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Ame Dyckman & Scott Magoon Fans / Readers Looking for Madcap Picture-Book Adventures
Shelves: picture-books
As Bob the jellyfish attempts to begin the filming of his live maritime documentary, Underwater World, he finds himself interrupted by the appearance of a shark. His initial panic is soothed by Shark's assurance that he has no intention of eating that fish... or that seal... or those people. Shark is just misunderstood! Or is he? Bob is about to find out firsthand...

Talented children's book author Ame Dyckman, the writing force behind such winners as You Don't Want a Unicorn! , Boy + Bot
Gary Anderson
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sharks don’t really eat cute baby seals, do they? Sharks are just terribly misunderstood, right? In Misunderstood Shark, a media-savvy shark behaves differently on live television than when he is following his natural instincts. Author Ame Dyckman (Wolfie the Bunny, Boy + Bot) presents this comical scenario that teaches readers about shark habits without showing the predator-devouring-prey side of things. Hapless squid run the television show and offer funny commentary throughout Dyckman’s color ...more
Viviane Elbee
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Funny book about a misunderstood Shark. There’s a sprinkling of facts in a fictional story, set up in TV documentary format.
Art matches story well.

Kids enjoyed this story and voted to give it 5 stars.
Amanda
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Best for a one-on-one read; will the kids get it? The clever ones will! Love the fun facts throughout--and I am a fan of the dark tone, personally speaking--and the pictures.
Michele Smith
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Hilarious story about a shark who tries to convince everyone that he is harmless and friendly. But will anyone believe him? The story sneaks in some cool shark facts. Great illustrations.
Woody Chichester
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to this book I now know the ocean is salty due to the tears of misunderstood sharks. Great illustrations and a fun story filled with facts about sharks. Only 33% cautionary tale.
Becky
First sentence: "Hello, people! Today on Underwater World with Bob, Fun Facts about--" SHARK!

Premise/plot: Bob, the narrator--both of this book and of Underwater World--shares a LOT of facts about sharks in this new picture book. Will readers believe Bob's facts and intuition OR shark's own spin of what is really happening?!?!

"Shark! The people are watching! Don't eat that fish in front of the people!"

"The PEOPLE can see me?"

"You misunderstood!! I wasn't going to eat him. I was just...showi
Bookishrealm
This book is hilarious. I also didn't realize how good it is for kids who are interested in learning more about sharks. The book begins with a jellyfish TV host by the name of Bob. Bob decides to spend the show telling humans why sharks are misunderstood while also providing fun and interesting facts. I already knew most of the facts discussed in this book so they didn't surprise me; however, I did enjoy that the audience members were humans and not other fish. Shark also had an interesting pers ...more
Ryan
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lots of fun to be had in this book. Jellyfish is the reporter and today’s assignment is to talk to a shark. This shark is so misunderstood. He doesn’t want to eat people. He wants to help. He wants to be loved. And he wants to play hide and seek. But I would suggest not playing hide and seek , you might not like the hiding places.
Sara Curley
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is such a fun book for kids and adults. I would recommend getting the pair of books together if possible. (Other book is Misunderstood Shark: Friends Don't Eat Friends). It mixes a cute story with fun little facts about the sharks and other water creatures, so all ages can be laughing and learning together. ...more
Becca
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another darkly comic children's book in the vein of I Want My Hat Back. ...more
Emily
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very fun picture book.
(With maybe lots of nods to The Life Aquatic?)
Carrie Gelson
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like the nonfiction facts woven throughout.
Laurie
Dec 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very funny shark book with a slightly dark bend. The ending is great and I liked how shark facts were interwoven throughout. Fabulous illustrations. I will definitely purchase the sequel for my library.
Linda
Love this story and the twist at the end. Great for fans of Klaasen's I Want My Hat Back. Such a fun read aloud. ...more
Michal
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Can't wait to read this aloud. ...more
Melodie
May 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: jp2018
Cute, silly, and a bit scary, while also being educational.
AMY
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades K-5
Laugh out loud funny! I loved the story and hilarious illustrations. Kids will definitely love this one! Highly recommended Grades K-5.
Clementine
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
pretty darkly funny with a lot of kid appeal, but it's long enough and has enough going on in each page that it's best for smaller group reads. ...more
Kirsti Call
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I adore all of Ame's books and this one is just as delightful and filled with her signature humor. LOVED the twist ending! ...more
Sandy
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really like the boldness of this children’s book, from the big crisp text to the illustrations, this book gets right in your face. The author uses a variety of text fonts to get her point across as she varies the size of print for each individual in the story, from the announcer, to the shark, to the production crew as she brings her book to life.

The illustrations are simple. The colors are bright and crisp which make the characters stand out on the page. I enjoyed watching the facial express
Laurie
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interest Level: K-3; Reading Level: 1.6

Do you think sharks are dangerous, threatening, and just down-right mean? Well boy are you ever wrong! Sharks are actually very informative, helpful, and caring. When the baby seal is lost from his family what does the shark do? Eat him? Why no, he delivers him back to his family. And what happens when a person has a boo-boo on his leg? Eat him? Why no, he tries to give him a band-aid of course. How in the world can anyone or anything be afraid of sharks wh
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Can I Be Your Dog?
  • Stegothesaurus
  • What Do They Do with All That Poo?
  • Truck Full of Ducks
  • Shake the Tree!
  • Russell Wrestles the Relatives
  • A Place for Pluto
  • Pipsqueaks, Slowpokes, and Stinkers: Celebrating Animal Underdogs
  • Sleepy, the Goodnight Buddy
  • People Don't Bite People
  • How Are You? / ¿Cómo Estás?
  • Potato Pants!
  • The Very Impatient Caterpillar
  • Crunch, the Shy Dinosaur
  • Giraffe Problems
  • The Itchy Book! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #5)
  • Friends Stick Together
  • Perfect

Misunderstood Shark (2 books)
  • Misunderstood Shark: Friends Don't Eat Friends