Start by marking “Skyjacked” as Want to Read:
Skyjacked

Skyjacked

Six friends who attend Manhattan's elite Hartwell Academy are returning from an end-of-summer camping trip together on a private plane. Everything seems normal... except one of the regular pilots is sick, so there's a replacement; Cassie is starting to get violently ill for no clear reason; and they realize the plane is flying west, not east. Soon it's clear: the plane has ...more
Published July 30th 2019 by Scholastic Press (first published July 2019)

Start your review of Skyjacked
Barbara
Author Paul Griffin is known for his fast-paced action thrillers, and this book is no exception. In it, he places five fairly ordinary adolescents in a less than ordinary situation. The friends are returning from a hiking trip in Idaho to their homes in New York City. Cassie's family is quite well off so the plane is owned by her family. Jay is new to the school and these teens, and he's not so sure how well he's fitting in. Still, he has enjoyed the trip so far even with Cassie's daredevil anti ...more
Charlotte
May 26, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019
teens on a highacked private plane not knowing which adult on board to trust...lots of tension, and it was fine, just didn't connect to it all that much.
Ashley Hite
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
5 wealthy high school sophomores are returning from a end of summer camping trip aboard their private jet. During the flight something goes horribly wrong as they realize they are headed in the wrong direction and their plane has been hijacked. This puts the teens in the fight for their lives as they try to figure out how to survive, who to trust and who turned against them. Will they even make it off the plane alive?

I liked the story overall, it was full of suspense and a good story line. It is
Jaycee Rieb
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shay Wiley
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heidi
Skyjacked takes the reader on a thriller of a ride. Five teenage friends who attend an elite private academy are finishing up a camping trip. After hopping on Cassie's father's private jet, they are ready to head back to New York. But things are quite right. Emily is dating Tim, but seems interested in Jay, who isn't quite comfortable at the school since he's on scholarship and not from a wealthy family like the others. Cassie and Brandon are best friends, but Cassie's recklessness threatens the ...more
Kate Waggoner
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-read
@kidlitexchange #partner

Thank you to the publisher @scholasticinc and the author #paulgriffin for sharing an advance copy of Skyjacked with the #kidlitexchange network. Skyjacked was released on August 13 and is now available for purchase.

Cassie, Tim, Emily, Brandon, and Jay are high school students on their way back home after a camping trip in Idaho. The five friends, along with their chaperone Reeva and the two pilots, board Cassie's father's private jet for what they expect to be a four hou
Genevieve
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
@kidlitexchange #partner thank you to author #paulgriffin and publisher @scholasticinc for sharing a review copy of Skyjacked with #kidlitexchange. All opinions are my own. Skyjacked was released on August 13 and copies are available for purchase now!

Skyjacked was such a fast and fast-paced read! I read it in one day, because the story and characters gripped me and wouldn’t let me leave their world.

Five teens- Cassie, Emily, Brandon, Jay, and Tim- are heading back to New York after an adventure
Ms. Yingling
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Six students from an elite private school are returning home after a camping trip on the private plane belonging to Cassie's father's business. The regular pilot is ill, so there is a substitute, and not long into the journey, the teens realize the plane is heading west instead of east. They have a security person, Reeva, with them, and she is not overly concerned. At the same time, we see Michelle Okolo at work as an intern at the National Air Traffic Investigation Cent
Sally Kruger
Five private school students are headed home from a camping trip. They board the private jet owned by one of the student's parents and settle in for their four hour flight home to New York.

It doesn't take long for strange things to happen. The usual copilot has called in sick and has been replaced by a tiny, young pilot named Sofia. The chaperone for the trip is unusually quiet and impatient and not interested in chatting with the five teens.

Less than an hour into the flight, the daughter of t
Bogdan Tatarinov
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Skyjacked is a novel with mixed emotions, complicated situations, fast-paced action, and critical thinking scenarios, which adds to the intensity and plot of the story. Paul Griffin chooses a handful of teens from different lives, different places, different families, and puts them all into the cabin of one private airline. By doing so, Paul successfully merges contrasted minds into on twisted plot. One of my favorite details about this book is the way Paul Griffin changes and alters between cha ...more
Becky B
5 teens from an elite school in New York City are on a camping trip in Idaho before sophomore year starts. They are accompanied by Cassie's security detail and her dad's private pilots. They are supposed to be headed home in the family jet, but they aren't headed the right direction. But who is responsible for the hijacking and what are their goals?

This was a quick, intense read. The action never lets up. I really liked that a few of the chapters were from the perspective of a teen girl internin
Sarai
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book because it's not the kind where all the characters stay safe. I wouldn't go so far as to call it realistic, but the fact that some of the characters don't make it made it more intense. It reminded me of another book I read recently, Run, Hide, Fight Back by April Henry. Good book for a school visit.

Book description:
Cassie, Tim, Emily, Brandon, and Jay are on their way back from a camping trip, flying from Idaho to New York City on Cassie's family's private plane. This might b
Bethany
Five teens are trapped on a private plane as they are returning from an end of the summer camping trip. Who is responsible? Is it the pilot? The chaperone? Or is it one of the teens? The story takes the reader on a flight full of dips and dives while the clues unfold. Is the scheme personal, political, or just a random attack? All the characters have something to lose, and something to gain.

Cassie, Tim, Emily, Brandon, and Jay are friends and classmates at The Hartwell Academy. Cassie’s father o
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Skyjacked by Paul Griffin, 240 pages. Scholastic Press, 2019. $18.

Language: G (0 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: G; Violence: PG-13 (some deaths)

BUYING ADVISORY: MS - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

On their way home from a luxury camping trip, five classmate’s lives are in danger when someone takes control of their private plane. The main suspect is the replacement co-pilot, but the teens are not sure if any of the adults on board are trust-worthy. Why these kids? Why this plane? When things go
Jenn
Apr 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Five kids from an exclusive private school are on their way back from a camping trip on a private plane owned by one girl's parent. But when the plane is hijacked by the copilot, they don't know if they'll make it home.

The action was good and the suspense held up here through the entire book. I didn't love the ending, but it was fine.

I've mentioned before that my daughter does the Reading Bowl at her high school. Well, they released next year's list and this is my first intentional read from it
Michele
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to @kidlitexchange for this free review copy which has made me want to RUN out and buy every Paul Griffin book written for my middle schoolers!!!!
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Skyjacked is an adventure story that hooked me from the beginning. Five friends and their security detail board their private flight home from a camping trip. All is well until suddenly it’s not. The security starts acting weird, the pilot locks the cockpit, the sun is on the wrong side of the plane... they’ve been hijacked.

Loved the
Libby Ames
Cassie, Tim, Emily, and Jay are flying home from a camping trip on Cassie’s family’s private jet. But soon after take off, the kids notice they are flying in the wrong direction. The cockpit is locked and no one knows what is going on. Suddenly none of them know exactly who to trust or how they will survive the situation.

This high action adventure is a quick read that I finished in one afternoon. It is a perfect book to capture the attention of reluctant readers as well as those that love to rea
Laura Nungester
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Action packed and well developed. The characters are interesting and with enough familiarity that their unique circumstances and personalities are relatable. The book reads as fast as the plot moves. Literally read it in one day. I couldn’t put it down. Great book for reluctant or avid readers. Told from the perspectives of the characters the reader is drawn into the story. I found myself needing to see the characters through to the end. I couldn’t make them wait until tomorrow, I had to be ther ...more
Margie
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mason Wagoner
Feb 17, 2020 rated it liked it
A fun read at best. The characters were alright, some were quite compelling, while others were bland. Unfortunately, the compelling characters with motives and character development are killed off quickly, which leaves us to deal with boring characters for most of the book. This also results in the fact that we no longer care about the rest of the cast, because the characters we were interested in are no longer a part of the story, and the ending, which is supposed to have a lot of emotional imp ...more
Jaymie
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great, fast moving suspense story. There's not a lot of depth to the characters in this - the focus is on the action and the danger. But it was compelling - I finished it in one sitting. I had some practical questions that I won't post because of spoiler issues, but overall the whole story was so entertaining, I could set most of those questions aside and just enjoy the book. If you enjoy fast-paced suspense, don't miss this one. (Violence)
Sharon
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense, thriller
I am usually a fan of survival novels, where the main character or characters must fight against all odds to survive. Skyjacked did not push the usual buttons for me, as the action seemed to exist only to move the plot along. Some of the scenarios in which the teens find themselves are completely unrealistic and I did not find the novel to be all that credible. For these reasons, I would be hesitant to recommend Skyjacked to other readers.
Carli
May 05, 2020 rated it liked it
⭐️⭐️⭐️/5. Five teens aboard a private plane from Idaho to New York City find themselves fighting to live. The plane takes off in the wrong direction, and despite the pilot’s excuses, the passengers cannot shake the feeling that something is off. This is a quick read with short chapters and a lot of action, with twists throughout. It focuses mainly on high energy action, not so much in character building. I can see some middle school readers enjoying it. Recommended for grades 6+.
VincentMSPX2021
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Five teens aboard a private plane from Idaho to New York City find themselves fighting to live. The plane takes off in the wrong direction, and despite the pilot’s excuses, the passengers can't get rid of the the feeling that something is not right. Then they figure out that the plane has been hijacked and they don't know who to trust anymore. This book will keep you wondering what is going to happen next.
Jenn
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Solid closed-door mystery, with lots of red herrings and twists/turns. This is YA not because the writing is difficult - this is a short, fast read - but because there are multiple murders.
Fun, great read especially for older kids who may not be strong readers.
Very contemporary, diverse read. Author is a strong writer, and this was fun!
Sarah Rosenberger
A group of teens are on a private jet when they realize it's been hijacked. Who can they trust, and will any of them survive?

High suspense, quick chapters, and clear writing make it a great choice for reluctant readers. There's limited romance and no profanity, but plenty of death, so not exactly clean. Would be fine for middle schoolers who can handle some gory scenes.
Teressa
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, hi-lo
This thriller about a hijacked plane reminded me of an extended NCIS episode. Despite the fact that I felt some plot scenarios were implausible, I still enjoyed it. There’s not really much character development, but that fits with the book’s intended audience. Sure to be popular with some of my reluctant readers.
Rebecca
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I enjoyed this book. I thought it was unrealistic that a high scull student would be the one to come up with the "who did it" and why. I also think the family who owned the plane would've done more background checks. The ending wrapped up pretty quickly as it seems to do from first-novel writers, but overall, a good read.
Liz
I read this one as we were considering putting it in the school library. It was definitely an edge of your seat kind of book. The way the teens banded together in the midst of all the confusion was a major part of the story. I don't want to say much more for fear of spoilers, but I would say it was a good book, not a great book.

• Wildfire
  • Our Wayward Fate
  • The Light in Hidden Places
  • Don't Tell the Nazis
  • The Light in the Lake
Paul Griffin lives, writes, and trains dogs in New York City. His previous novel, The Orange Houses, was an ALA Best Book for Young Adults Top Ten, an International Reading Association 2010 Notable Book for a Global Society, a Chicago Public Library's Best of the Best Book of 2009, and an Amelia Bloomer Project Award winner.