Start by marking “Making Friends (Making Friends, #1)” as Want to Read:
Making Friends (Making Friends, #1)

Making Friends

(Making Friends #1)

Sixth grade was SO much easier for Danielle. All her friends were in the same room and she knew what to expect from her life. But now that she's in seventh grade, she's in a new middle school, her friends are in different classes and forming new cliques, and she is completely lost.

When Danielle inherits a magical sketchbook from her eccentric great aunt Elma, she draws Ma
Published July 31st 2018 by Graphix (first published June 26th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Making Friends, please sign up.
Joss Yes, it is either coming out or is already out.

Start your review of Making Friends (Making Friends, #1)
David Schaafsma
A story about Danielle, in seventh grade, a fairly typical struggling kid until she draws Prince Neptune, in her late aunt’s sketch book (like a magic notebook, a fairy typical trope, yep) and things pick up for her a bit. He comes alive and becomes a talking, flying head (no, not exactly nearly headless Nick from Harry Potter, but close) who is willing to act on her behalf.

It's a fairly manic story, very busy (too busy?) art, maybe in the manga manner, webcomic turned kickstarter project, by t
Elaine Fultz
Jun 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Danielle is struggling to adjust to her new middle school life. Hers is the typical tween story until she draws her favorite manga character, heartthrob villain Prince Neptune, in her eccentric aunt’s inherited sketch book. He emerges, alive, from the pages into her room, but since she only sketched his pretty face, he is just a talking “floaty head.” She wants to keep him around and secret so she carries him in her backpack and keeps him in her locker. Once she knows the power of the sketchbook ...more
Amber
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up.
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I loved it. A fun, tongue in cheek homage to childhood difficulties and passions with a delightful dash of magic. Art fit the story perfectly.
Romie
I was a bit worried at the beginning that I wouldn't like it, but it turned out to be such a cute graphic novel about friendship and being your own person! (3.5)
Hilda
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I guess I should watch more tv. I didn’t understand any of what just happened.

I loved this silly comic about making and keeping friends. There’s a magic notebook that can make money and this girl still finds a way to end the world. It was cute and funny. And full of teenage emotions. For a silly magical comic it was full of great advice.

Bullying: Don’t do it, bullying hurts feelings.

Which honestly made me laugh. The video!!!!

But most importantly.

You would trust grown ups?! Grown ups are a
Bookphile
That was...very bizarre. RTC

Full review:

I'm not sure how to classify this novel. I read a fair amount of middle grade graphic novels, many of which have lots of fantastical elements, but I've never read one quite like this. While it has an interesting premise--a lonely, middle school girl finds a magic notebook that makes her drawings literally come to life--the execution left something to be desired. Since I can't otherwise elaborate what my problems with the book were, I'll have to give away p
Mehsi
Ahhhhh, this was just too much fun to read! I just adored it. It is full of magic, making friends (which isn't easy to do), imagination, and finding a place to belong. I adored the characters, though I did feel sorry for Madison. I wish that Danielle had talked to her sooner about where she came from, instead of making up lies. The floating head? Made me laugh so much, but I kept wondering when it would show its true colours! The ending was spectacular, a bit chaotic though, but still it fit wit ...more
Krista Regester
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A magic notebook that can make money?

Sign me up.

Destiny Henderson
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Shoujo fans, kids worried about the new school year
Re-read 4/1/2020:
Since re-reading this, I still enjoy this silly story. I ended up buying this book last year, but I hadn’t read it again until now. Dany’s naivety and utter ignorance is more glaring now. Who would really listen to Prince Neptune’s advice? Like really, y’all? I also notice a few more references that I may have overlooked. The art style is super cartoony, but there are a few exceptional moments.
(view spoiler)
katyjanereads
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
1. I thought this book was really cute!
2. I loved the concept of being able to draw anything you want and it comes to life. I think there could have been even more of that in this book. Middle schoolers are selfish and would ask for all kinds of crap. Maybe a series would be good.
3. I think the message of being yourself is important for kids.
4. The illustrations were so pretty and unique.
5. I love that “Hot Topic” was called “Cool Subject” in this book.
6. “Why the heck do they want twelve-year-o
Jenna
A fun glimpse into the difficulties of making new friends, along with a twist of magic and fandom. It went a bit quick for me and perhaps could’ve been two volumes, which would have allowed more time to flesh out family matters and character development. But otherwise, it was a cute tale.
laura (bookies & cookies)
The color story is incredible! I also found myself laughing, and not just from the main story, but from all the little asides in the far corners of the panels and the brand & name changes so as not to have copyright infringement (Wolmort instead of Walmart).

And it has The Power of Friendship!
Bitsy
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, comics-18
The plot was a little all over the place, but I still found this book really, really fun and charming! It’s a great mix of wacky wish fulfillment fantasy and dealing with real-world problems. Plus, the whole thing is filled with humor, both in the writing and the cartooning.

Dany is a seventh grader who’s having a tough time making new friends in middle school until she finds a magic notebook. Suddenly, everything she draws becomes real, including the severed head of her favorite anime character
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Jun 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-recommended
Gudsnuk, Kristen Making Friends, 257 pages. GRAPHIC NOVEL Graphix (Scholastic), 2018. $25. Content: Language: G; Mature Content: PG (kissing); Violence: PG (bullying).

School for Dany is crazy. She had sixth grade figured out but now seventh grade is going to give her a run for her money. Dany inherits a magical notebook from her aunt that passed away. In that notebook the things she draws comes to life, so when she draws her dream best friend and favorite anime character stuff gets real. This
Dov Zeller
From the start I found the movement of this book from panel to panel, page to page, to be frenetic, disjointed, distracting, and far from engaging. There was no point at which I really enjoyed the world of the book or the characters. I've read quite a few positive reviews, to try to understand what it is people enjoy about the book, and it seems that a lot of people really love the humor, and some the magical conceit (girl draws things in magic notebook that then become real). I guess the humor ...more
Giselle A Nguyen
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best kids’ graphic novels I’ve ever read. This is a laugh-out-loud funny romp, following Dany, a seventh grader who’s having difficulty socially – so when she finds a magic sketchbook that brings anything she draws to life, she makes herself a new best friend (as well as bringing her favorite manga character to life). Hijinks, of course, ensue. This story has a great message for kids, but is also completely enthralling, engaging and surprising. I loved this so much!!!!!
Lizzy // The Bookish Unicorn
I loved all the Sailor Moon references in this graphic novel, instantly sold me!
Literary Strawberry
This was so fun and goofy and colorful and amusing and yeah I enjoyed it a lot
Sandy
Have you ever read a book and even though it stretches your imagination, you’re actually liking it, and then…...bam, they’ve totally lost their minds and you wished, you could undo what you’ve just read? That’s what I felt as I read Making Friends. This middle school graphic novel was dealing with some typical teen issues in a unique way when suddenly the main character cracked.

Dany’s Aunt Elma died, leaving the family to sort out her estate on their own. Dany finds herself in the possession of
Scottsdale Public Library
Dany is not enjoying the start of 7th grade. She is at a brand new school and all of her friends are in separate classes and a different lunch hour. She feels completely alone and unable to make new friends. When Dany inherits an old sketch book from her great aunt Elma, she decides to draw the head of her favorite anime character: the evil but misunderstood Prince Neptune. To her surprise, the drawing comes to life! With this newfound magical ability, Dany decides to draw the perfect best frien ...more
Kristin
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another graphic novel awkward transition from elementary school to middle school where you have to learn how to make friends while dealing with all the sudden miserable changes that puberty brings, but this one includes magic sketchbook. Gudsnuk balances the wish fulfillment fantasy and the school drama pretty well and Danielle is a likable character with realistic flaws. There's also lots of fun little details sprinkled through the panels that adds extra oomph to the humor.
SA
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2019
Stars, middle school and middle schoolers are the worst. This is really more a three or four stars objectively -- it would be a great read for the target YA-aged audience -- and my star rating has more to do with how intolerable I personally find it to read about the average horridness of a 6-9th grade teenager. I didn't enjoy it, but it was still a good book -- just not for me.
Eli  ✨🌹
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this book so much! I'm only rating it 4/5 because I felt that the ending was abrupt and I predicted it right of the bat, and I also felt that the book kinda skipped a lot in pieces. But this book is up there in my favorite graphic novel list.
Sara
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Kristen Gudsnuk and I had identical childhoods and were clearly obsessed with the same tv shows and books. I will read anything she writes. I love this and I loved Henchgirl. I can’t wait to see what she does next.
Meara Malloy
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was a nice story with bad desisions, a magic notebook, and "wants to be popular" main charactor.
Beth
Jan 06, 2020 rated it did not like it
I am sure my tweens are going to like this graphic novel, but it is not for me. I found it confusing. Also, sometimes the text is so small, I can barely see it. One other issue I have is that the characters look older than middle school. There is an audience for this graphic novel, it just isn't me.
Chelsey
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A gloriously weird portrayal of the agony of middle school, with a clear Sailor Moon influence, aka a book after my own heart.
Kit Feral
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
That was hilarious.

• Click
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • Camp
  • Sunny Side Up and Swing It, Sunny: The Box Set
  • Crush (Berrybrook Middle School, #3)
  • Karen's Roller Skates (Baby-sitters Little Sister Graphic Novel #2)
  • The Okay Witch
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey
  • Just Jaime
  • Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy: A Graphic Novel: A Modern Retelling of Little Women
  • Guts
  • Real Friends (Real Friends, #1)
  • Junior High Drama
  • Karen's Witch (Baby-Sitters Little Sister Graphic Novel #1)
  • Swing it, Sunny
  • Invisible Emmie
  • Kristy's Big Day

Making Friends (2 books)
  • Making Friends: Back to the Drawing Board (Making Friends, #2)

News & Interviews