Start by marking “peluda” as Want to Read:
peluda

peluda

One of the most original performance poets of her generation, Melissa Lozada-Oliva has captivated crowds across the country and online with her vivid narratives. Humorous and biting, personal and communal, self-deprecating and unapologetically self-loving, peluda (meaning “hairy” or “hairy beast”) is the poet at her best. The book explores the relationship between feminini ...more
Published September 26th 2017 by Button Poetry (first published September 7th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about peluda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about peluda

Start your review of peluda
Nat
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Humorous and biting, personal and communal, self-deprecating and unapologetically self-loving, peluda (meaning “hairy” or “hairy beast”) is the poet at her best. The book explores the relationship between femininity and body hair as well as the intersections of family, class, the immigrant experience, Latina identity, and much more, all through Lozada-Oliva’s unique lens and striking voice. peluda is a powerful testimony on body image and the triumph over taboo.

“the loser of the war: has the bes
Kristy K
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, poetry, netgalley, 2017
An amazing book of poetry that focuses on beauty, immigrants (and being a minority), feminism, and so much more. Lizada-Oliva has a way of writing that reaches out and pulls you into her experiences as a Latina woman living in America.
Kirsty
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feminism, poetry
"if you ask me if i am fluent in Spanish i will tell you my Spanish is an itchy / phantom limb - reaching for words & only finding air"

"did you know: that after we die
our hair still grows?

picture: a field of skulls with rock & roll mullets
picture: pubes over bones
picture: a blanket of hair tucking us in, forever."
Scarllet ✦ iamlitandwit
if you ask me if i am fluent in Spanish i will tell you my Spanish is an itchy / phantom limb - reaching for words & only finding air / my Spanish is my third birthday party: half of it is memory, the other half is that photograph on the fridge /is what my family has told me / if you ask me if i am fluent i will tell you that my Spanish is a puzzle / left in the rain / too soggy to make its parts fit so that it can look just like the picture on the box

One of the things I love about reading is th
Hafsa | حفصہ
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-e-books, poésie
Disclaimer: Received a free digital copy of the book through Netgalley.

I don't know how to express how I felt about my reading experience of this collection. Intimate would be the word. It was like reading the author's memoir in verse. Fierce, honest and so very personal - all things which made me absolutely love every single poem in this collection, making it a struggle not to connect with every word.

There were so many intricately woven themes explored in this collection from woman and their
Hizatul Akmah
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scribd, poetry, favourites
i fell in love with melissa's voice since the day i watched her performance for 'the women in my family are bitches' because honest to god, she is full of raging energy!! my personal favourite lines from this poetry collection are these:

hey, remember when all of our favorite

songs hadn’t happened 2 us yet / we didn’t understand

the sorrow but we were loud /

we made so much / noise

— light brown noise

10/10 highly recommended!!!
vanessa
My new way of consuming poetry: read it, then go on YouTube and watch the poet perform. I read this for a reading challenge and enjoyed a lot of this. I felt myself seen.

Favorites: AKA What Would Jessica Jones Do?, You Know How To Say Arroz Con Pollo But Not What You Are ("My Spanish"), The Women in My Family Are Bitches, Mami Says You Have Been Crying, and I Shave My Sister's Back Before Prom.
Anna Kander
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
**Warning: this text may contain spoilers** This book was not written for people like me. (The narrator is pretty emphatic about that, but I don’t want to give away delicious endings.) Still, I’m so glad I read it.

Peluda means “hairy.” Mi peluda, my dark-haired girl? Or… hairy she-beast? I don’t speak Spanish, and I’m not sure how negatively or positively to construe “peluda.” The poet, Melissa Lozada-Oliva, explores negative views of herself, as a Latina with dark, thick hair (on her body as w
Adriana Martinez Figueroa
Rather short, I would've liked some more poetry to dig my brown hands into. And yet, this handful was colored gold and was heavy in my heart with meaning and latina love. Gracias, Melissa 💕
Her Messy Head
Feb 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Ridiculous book.
I literally gave it 1 star for that one little verse:
"maybe my heart is 2 big"
now, obviously, I'm not a Latina nor an immigrant, two things that this book tackles. The thing is, I would have loved to discover things about those two "themes" instead of reading about "body hair" and how grossed out the author is.
As far as I know, the title means "hairy beast" I didn't know that when I read the first few pages and I thought how original it was to talk about pubes, waxing and being
Stephanie
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
On the wall about this one, didn't love it but didn't hate it either.
Laly Villablanca
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this novel from the publisher via Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

I cannot fully express how grateful I am that Button Poetry allowed me to read the ARC for this book, this kindness does not in any way influence the way I feel and will talk about Peluda and the visceral experience I had while reading it.

To understand how I felt about reading this book you need to think about it as stumbling upon someone's journal, and as you read along you identify in this stran
Carina
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, read-2017
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Unlike many of the people who have read this, I didn't know anything about the author. This book is a poetry collection but it felt a little bit weird for me. It seemed like Melissa wrote it like a novel and then cut it to be a poem. However I did feel a connection with it and I enjoyed it overall. With that being said I don't know if I can give it 4 stars or more. The form was just weird for me.
Jessica | Booked J
Blog | Twitter | Instagram | As a note, an e-galley of this novel was sent to me via NetGalley by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

Wow, 2017 has been a stellar year for poetry and I can't stress enough how much I loved Melissa Lozada-Oliva's peluda without bordering on incoherent fangirling. Because there's something so deeply moving in her words and one thing is certain: she is a voice that was desperately needed in poetry. And her prose
Olivia Chanel's Galaxy of Books
Thank you, Button Poetry, for my ARC of peluda. I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review; this does not affect my opinion. Any quotes mentioned below are taken from the ARC and are subject to change upon publication.

I have fallen in love with the poetry collection peluda and for me, what makes peluda such a unique poetry collection is how brutally honest and charismatic it is. It’s funny, deep, and a must-read for contemporary poetry lovers. peluda is feminist and about body hair, fa
Krystal
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Exceptional poetry collection! Her writing illuminates the immigrant experience with depths of emotion. She evokes the trauma of colonialist white supremacist xenophobic misogyny!
Abby
Nov 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
I appreciated the message, and enjoyed the perspective - but really did not like the style of writing.
Bianca (theperksofbeingbianca)
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, feminism
Hey, there. It's been almost 2 months since I finished reading something and I don't really remember how to do this, so bare with me.

Thanks to NetGalley for letting me have a digital copy of this beautiful little book in exchange of an honest review. This will be the first of many.

I got to read this book by chance. I was browsing my newsfeed on Facebook one day some months ago, and this friend shared a video of a girl reciting poetry. It was powerful. The poem that the girl read was titled 'My S
Saadia Peerzada
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
"before this, yosra jokes
about lining her hijab with safety pins
while we waited for a white family
to clean up their table, the white father
stared at yosra for too long
& said i’m so sorry, referring to the crumbs
& coffee stains he & his family had made
they had made this mess not thinking
we would have to sit here in it.
still, at the same time, we tell him,
don’t even worry about it, because we have done
all of the worrying for them our entire lives because we have learned to forgive
every
Ariel [She Wants the Diction]
If you're hairy and/or a woman of color, you NEED to read this book. You will feel seen. 'Nuff said. (And as always, if you're white, you can read it too and learn something. 😉)
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

This book was okay. I have seen videos of a few of Melissa Lozada-Oliva's poems and liked them so I couldn't wait to read these. However, I think many of them work better as spoken poetry rather than in written form. The format of the poems were kind of weird and it was often difficult to know how they were meant to be read. Also, while I enjoyed individual poems, the book as a whole felt very repetitive.

I should have guessed from the title what th
Cam
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: 2017
I don't read a lot of poetry, but I knew I had to get this one. I've loved watching videos of Melissa Lozada-Oliva's spoken word performances on YouTube, finally feeling represented by her words and stories. Melissa has a way with mixing humour and emotion, so that I didn't know whether I wanted to laugh or cry at her words. Peluda explores so many topics in its 21 poems. In a single poem, you'll find explorations of Latina identity, beauty and femininity, class and family relationships, all see ...more
hamna
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC, provided by the author and/or the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I really, really liked this book. It explores the relationship between a woman and her body hair, the insecurities and the confidence, the relationship between being an immigrant and belonging, the relationship between a mother and her daughter, the relationship between love and being lost. It's beautiful, it's tiring, it's striking and it's poetry in it's honest form. Commun
eli nolet
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
i feel a bit bad giving this book such a low review. there were a few very strong pieces in here that moved me and were so beautifully written – but for the most part it felt a bit too repetitive and overdone. i agree with another reviewer here, that this reads as if the author intended to write a novel but then cut it up into poems. i would have rather read the novel.
Paul "Axl" Hurman
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh man, this is probably the best drunken book purchase I've ever made. I really hope this gets a UK publisher/distributor soon, because it is definitely one of my favourite books I've read this year. Funny, powerful, thought-provoking, and a joy to read. I absolutely loved it.
Tiana
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This poetry book is SO GOOD! The whole thing was this unapologetic look at what it means to be a first generation American and living in a world where cultures combine and touch your life to where your parts become nothing else, but human. However, Peluda is so much more then that. It is about being comfortable in your own skin and not being ashamed of who you are, even letting out your inner werewolf and being unafraid of being feral every once in a while.

There was one single poem that made thi
mad mags
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
poems that bristle and bite

(Full disclosure: I received a free electronic ARC for review through NetGalley.)

mami does not understand why you like holes
in your shoes, in your tights, in your gloves.
what did you want to seep through, brown girl
with bangs? a song not written about you?
really, you were being a seamstress
just like your abuela in the living room making
skirts out of curtains, just making adjustments,
just making holes in places your new skin
was supposed to be.

("Ode to Brown Girls With
Shamiram
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Yosra Strings Off My Mustache Two Days After the Election in a Harvard Square Bathroom
there is very little light in here,
but we're used to this.
we worry about taking too long.
we worry about someone knocking
on the door, someone asking us
what we're doing here,
someone making us leave.
before this, yosra jokes
about lining her hijab with safety pins
while we waited for a white family
to clean up their table, the white father
stared at yosra for too long
& said i'm so sorry, referring to th
Mel González
"Remember your body / the body-a land of feelings we've been told to cut down / we rip the things we hate / about ourselves out & hope / they grow back weaker / but hair is the only thing that grows / the way things grow in the homeland / which is why we get goosebumps"

*ARC provided by the publisher through NetGalley for an honest review*

This was incredibly important and thought provoking. I absolutely adore Melissa Lozada-Oliva's use of language and the innovative and creative metap
Leigh Anne
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brown girl with the string.

Or the razor, wax, or other implement of hair removal. Lozada-Oliva's collection of poems reveals the complicated feelings and experiences of femme Latinx bodies, which are often peluda, a word that can be translated as "hairy" or "hairy beast." This mutability of language mirrors the speaker's ambiguity about her own body and its needs.

There are no other ambiguities in play, here. In fact, the language is as sharp as tacks, smacks to the face, swift kicks in the "don'
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Black Movie
  • Swallowtail
  • Autopsy
  • Tesoro
  • the magic my body becomes: Poems by
  • Corazón