Start by marking “Content Design” as Want to Read:
Content Design

Content Design

Between 2010 and 2014, Sarah Richards and her team at the Government Digital Service invented the discipline of content design by applying new techniques to their work. In this book, Sarah explains what “content design” really means, and tells you how to put those techniques into your organisation and your web project.

This book is short, lively and practical. Using real-wo
Published July 2017 by Content Design London

To ask other readers questions about Content Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Content Design

Start your review of Content Design
Nina
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Great ideas for designing content but completely confused why you'd pick a controversial top like 'fracking' as a case study example.
Visnja Zeljeznjak
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great starter. I wish there were even more examples.
John Collins
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: career
I think that most good writers in the ranks of content marketers, UX writers, technical writers, etc know that they’re much more than writers. This angle of “content design” addresses that reality and gives a super helpful framework to what this discipline really is. This is not a book about writing, but it’s a book that every writer needs to read ... now! The 224 pages in the paperback go by quickly, as Richards succinctly moves from point to point. (The format/design of the pages is a little d ...more
Isla McKetta
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Good review of content strategy in an interesting format, but I didn't really find too much about how content design is more/different than content strategy.
Eoghan Hickey
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely short and to the point. Sure to make designers and researchers contented. This book is inviting and written in clear language.
Bren
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: needs-metadata
This was a great book for me, a developer and would-be small business owner. I don’t have a marketing background and what little I know about it creeps me out. This book is a window into a good content design process, which makes me feel more comfortable with outsourcing the marketing I know is essential for my business.

Things I especially liked:
- Short & clear
- Great examples (although the choice of fracking as a topic further cemented my impression of marketing as creepy) & discussion
- The ver
Tom
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book helps people with writing background with orientation in "design thinking" field or generally with writing for (digital) products.
Content Design will not teach you, how to write. It explains to copywriters, how to do user research, how people read online, how to write user or job stories. It'll also help you with stakeholder management - how to get attention of important people, how to invite them to decision making meetings ... in general, how to avoid situation when they don't approve
Abby
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“The most important skill for writing on the web is turning push content (what you want to say) into pull content (what your audience wants to read).”

Essential resource for content strategists who want to go beyond the traditional bounds of the profession and move into the expertise the web really needs: content design.

“People who are well read (aka not dumb) read a lot. They don’t have time to wade through jargon. They want the information quickly and easily—just like everyone else. Wanting to
Sudakshina Bhattacharjee
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book as a leaving gift from my colleagues and realise that my approach to content creation and marketing is largely based on the principles of Content Design without even having read the book before!
It’s a short and witty guide for content creators and aspiring content designers.
It’s to help these creative professionals:
1. efficiently help organisations with their website marketing activities
2. make the Internet more useful and enjoyable for users.
Deane Barker
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nice book about content-focused design. I liked her explanation/focus on user stories, and the delineation of user stories from "job stories" was something I hadn't seen before. Very quick read. The book is short, and many pages are...conceptual, with big fonts -- maybe a dozen words or so.

I measure of a good book in my industry is not only books that I enjoyed, but books that I wish my clients would read. This is one of those books.
Grant
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My new bible for work. Sarah Richards has impeccable bona fides and breaks the ideas down into digestible ways that demonstrate her approach. This book is a lot friendlier and more readable than the incredibly dry norm for most web-related books I've read.

While perhaps most of the ideas are not new, she has a way of putting them that reminds you how important some of those best practices that you've been neglecting are.
Bryan
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
A good introduction to Content Design that goes through the process of a project. It provides a great overview of the important tools that Sarah Richards has used throughout her career.

Rather than going through an example, explaining content design tools in categories you would use them in would've been more effective. For example, it was confusing to go from job stories to influencing your organization then back to job stories again.

The fracking example was also difficult to relate to.
Andres Moreira
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How to design the content for your website?

A very well designed and produced book about how to create websites with content that users can easily find and consume.
Sarah has a very clear way to explain the whole process, and the writing and discovery tips can be used in everyday life.
Vuk Trifkovic
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent primer for any contemporary product / content / design development.
Zac Colley
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
practicial and interesting - a book i will keep around to reference. reall good
Maurice Ryder
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clear, concise and easy to read

Very good book. Clear concise and easy to read (as all content should be). For anyone embarking on a website redesign, read this first!
Niamh Buttons
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work-related
A must-read for anyone who works in content design or had their writing end up online. Really quick to read and understand (funny that) and packed with good advice and takeaways for the business.
S
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not exactly what I needed, but interesting. Poorly printed and with questionable formatting, strangely enough.
Rósa Margrét
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended for web designers

Read the book in a web designer class! Wish I had read it before making my website. Very easy and quick to read!
Joni
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great overview for people who are new to content design. For me, it was a good refresher, enforced what I intuitively knew and had valuable, practical tips I can use right away.
Cristina
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easy to understand and very practical, I feel that I've learnt more than Content Design. Strongly recommend!
Krispijn
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clear, concise, excellent method, groundbreaking and inspiring. And a little funny too.
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Create tool for anyone working in communication, marketing, web design and/or content design.
Martin Danko
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great approach to content. Very practical.
Kaitlyn
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Probably the best book I've ever read about UX writing. Super practical steps and ideas that you can take directly into your writing practices/team.
Saskia
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Essential reading for content professionals. A clear explanation of how to make sure your content, its form and structure are relevant to your audience.
Jrene
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Short and clear but nevertheless rich in content. Even for people who have already dealt with the topic in depth. Small and handy format.
J. T.
Jun 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit dry

Some useful stuff but the layout didn't seem to translate well to Kindle. I found the book a bit dry and corporate focused.
N.
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
A nice little insightful and useful book that’s helped me become a better content writer.
Elizabeth Jones
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work
An easy to read and digest introduction to the author's concept of content design.

• Writing Is Designing: Words and the User Experience
  • Nicely Said: Writing for the Web with Style and Purpose
  • Content Strategy for the Web
  • Strategic Writing for UX: Drive Engagement, Conversion, and Retention with Every Word
  • Ruined by Design: How Designers Destroyed the World, and What We Can Do to Fix It
  • How to Make Sense of Any Mess: Information Architecture for Everybody
  • Articulating Design Decisions: Communicate with Stakeholders, Keep Your Sanity, and Deliver the Best User Experience
  • Everybody Writes: Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • User Friendly: How the Hidden Rules of Design Are Changing the Way We Live, Work, and Play
  • Microcopy: The Complete Guide (2nd edition)
  • Technically Wrong: Sexist Apps, Biased Algorithms, and Other Threats of Toxic Tech
  • The Elements of Content Strategy