Start by marking “Content Design” as Want to Read:
Content Design

Content Design

Between 2010 and 2014, Sarah Richards and her team at the Government Digital Service invented the discipline of content design by applying new techniques to their work. In this book, Sarah explains what “content design” really means, and tells you how to put those techniques into your organisation and your web project.

This book is short, lively and practical. Using real-wo
Published July 2017 by Content Design London

To ask other readers questions about Content Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Content Design

Nina
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Great ideas for designing content but completely confused why you'd pick a controversial top like 'fracking' as a case study example.
John Collins
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think that most good writers in the ranks of content marketers, UX writers, technical writers, etc know that they’re much more than writers. This angle of “content design” addresses that reality and gives a super helpful framework to what this discipline really is. This is not a book about writing, but it’s a book that every writer needs to read ... now! The 224 pages in the paperback go by quickly, as Richards succinctly moves from point to point. (The format/design of the pages is a little d ...more
Isla McKetta
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Good review of content strategy in an interesting format, but I didn't really find too much about how content design is more/different than content strategy.
Bren
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: needs-metadata
This was a great book for me, a developer and would-be small business owner. I don’t have a marketing background and what little I know about it creeps me out. This book is a window into a good content design process, which makes me feel more comfortable with outsourcing the marketing I know is essential for my business.

Things I especially liked:
- Short & clear
- Great examples (although the choice of fracking as a topic further cemented my impression of marketing as creepy) & discussion
Abby
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“The most important skill for writing on the web is turning push content (what you want to say) into pull content (what your audience wants to read).”

Essential resource for content strategists who want to go beyond the traditional bounds of the profession and move into the expertise the web really needs: content design.

“People who are well read (aka not dumb) read a lot. They don’t have time to wade through jargon. They want the information quickly and easily—just like everyone else. Wanting to
Grant
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My new bible for work. Sarah Richards has impeccable bona fides and breaks the ideas down into digestible ways that demonstrate her approach. This book is a lot friendlier and more readable than the incredibly dry norm for most web-related books I've read.

While perhaps most of the ideas are not new, she has a way of putting them that reminds you how important some of those best practices that you've been neglecting are.
Deane Barker
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nice book about content-focused design. I liked her explanation/focus on user stories, and the delineation of user stories from "job stories" was something I hadn't seen before. Very quick read. The book is short, and many pages are...conceptual, with big fonts -- maybe a dozen words or so.

I measure of a good book in my industry is not only books that I enjoyed, but books that I wish my clients would read. This is one of those books.
Lizzie Bruce
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The definitive guide to content design by the founder of the discipline. Packed full of knowledge, usability evidence, advice, insight, encouragement and practical techniques, with a healthy dash of humour, too!
S
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not exactly what I needed, but interesting. Poorly printed and with questionable formatting, strangely enough.
Maurice Ryder
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clear, concise and easy to read

Very good book. Clear concise and easy to read (as all content should be). For anyone embarking on a website redesign, read this first!
Joni
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great overview for people who are new to content design. For me, it was a good refresher, enforced what I intuitively knew and had valuable, practical tips I can use right away.
Vuk Trifkovic
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent primer for any contemporary product / content / design development.
Rósa Margrét
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended for web designers

Read the book in a web designer class! Wish I had read it before making my website. Very easy and quick to read!
Zac Colley
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
practicial and interesting - a book i will keep around to reference. reall good
Paul van Buuren
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Prima aanmoediging voor iedereen die woorden op het internet zet: denk er goed over na en bedien altijd in de eerste plaats je bezoeker / gebruiker. Praktisch, beknopt, nuttig.
Cristina
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easy to understand and very practical, I feel that I've learnt more than Content Design. Strongly recommend!
Niamh Buttons
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work-related
A must-read for anyone who works in content design or had their writing end up online. Really quick to read and understand (funny that) and packed with good advice and takeaways for the business.
Selene R
Robin
Jan 12, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »