Start by marking “To Love a Scandalous Duke” as Want to Read:
To Love a Scandalous Duke

To Love a Scandalous Duke

(Once Upon A Scandal #1)

Published September 25th 2017 by Entangled Publishing, LLC (Select Historical)

To ask other readers questions about To Love a Scandalous Duke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Love a Scandalous Duke

Candy Briggs
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Lord Declan Sinclair, Duke of Darington, has just returned from being away for twelve years. Lady Alethea Swinton has just returned from being away with her mother's people in Scotland. Declan's father had committed suicide when he was accused of a fraud and a lot of people lost their money. His older brother was murdered.
These are just a few of the strings to this complex tale of murder, fraud, lies, and other surprising secrets. The characters, descriptions and dialogue give the story depth an
Janet
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Driven into exile twelve years earlier, due to family scandal, Declan Sinclair is called home by his elder brother Albert. On arriving back in England he’s devastated to discover his brother has been murdered and he’s the new Duke of Darington. When clues point to the man he blames for both his exile and his father’s & brother’s deaths, Declan resolves to ruin the culprit
Lady Alethea Swinton has cultivated her pristine reputation in the hopes of winning her father’s praise. When her
Lux Lewis
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Lady Alethea Swinton, her twin brother, Finlay, Lord Firthwell and the second son of the Duke of Darlington, Declan Sinclair were childhood friends. Their friendship was fractured by tragedy and scandal involving their fathers. Declan disappeared from England, his absence fuelled gossips and speculations from the ton.
Declan resurface after over a decade, now the new Duke Darlington. They manage to rekindle their friendship despite their old wounds but face fresh gossips and scandals.
Allie and D
Fizza
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's an interesting story. When a 'scandalous' returns to London after years everyone starts talking about him. There is sadness and mystery revolving around Declan Sinclair's life. By sending him away his family had tried to protect him from everything that followed the scandal of his father committing suicide. But now that he is back it appears that things are not much different. People still remember everything that happened so many years ago but more than that he is still driven to prove his ...more
Brenda
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Publisher's Description:

Driven into exile years earlier, due to family scandal, Declan Sinclair is called home, devastated to discover his brother has been murdered and he’s the new Duke of Darington. When clues point to the man he blames for both his exile and his brother’s death, Declan resolves to ruin the culprit. If only the daughter of the man’s business partner, lovely Lady Alethea Swinton, didn’t tempt his resolve.

Lady Alethea Swinton has cultivated her pristine reputation in the hopes o
Minerva Spencer
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book had it all: romance, mystery, humor, and (yes!) sexy times.

I loved the chemistry between Althea and Declan and enjoyed the way both characters talked with one another rather than being coy about their interest in each other. Because they shared a past together their almost immediate attraction to each other after the long separation was both understandable and convincing. This was a love story that was free of TSTL misunderstandings.

I also liked the sibling relationship betwe
Synergy Quest
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
An entertaining regency romance with a mystery and a HEA all wrapped in one. I enjoyed this second chance romance. The hero and heroine are honorable and sincere. Love rules in the end and makes this one a perfect read for a rainy day.
Shannon Gallagher
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite debut authors 2017! This story had me at the first confrontation with Declan and Alethia. When he walks up behind her and speaks in her ear, I got goosebumps. There were laughing moments and times I teared up. Unforgettable.
Amanda
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This started out promising, but as it continued, the book, especially the second half, started to fall apart. The way the plot unraveled, combined with the behavior of the characters, frustrated me. And it ended with some unanswered questions and loose ends not resolved. Overall not a bad effort for a debut, and the author has potential. I’d be interested in reading her again in the future but would probably read some reviews first.
Tracy Emro
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, this book was almost perfect and I really enjoyed the story.

Declan Sinclair, The Duke of Darington aka Dec has returned to England after 12 years. He was sent away after his father committed suicide and has been forbidden to return, until now. But this will not be a happy homecoming for Dec, he returns to find his beloved older brother Albert is dead and he is the new Duke.

Dec is determined to find his brother's murderer and clear his father's name, but when he reunites with his chil
Amanda
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adored this book!!!! If you love historical romance with suspense, shocks, and twists then read this one!! Declan returns after he finds out his brother has died and he has inheritied the title and gossip ensues immediately. Lady Alethea, childhood friend of Declan's, cannot stay away even with the bad blood between families. The pull between these two was immediate. As they grow to learn who they are now they grow dangerously close and both learn dangerous secrets that could tear them apart. SI ...more
Jultri
Courtney
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book through a giveaway from the author. All opinions are my own.

It can be hard to know what to expect from a debut author, and in my experience some debuts I’ve read in the past year or two have been good, while others have been more lackluster. With Liana De La Rosa’s debut, it is definitely the former. To Love a Scandalous Duke checks all the boxes of things I love: a fun spin on the friends-to-lovers trope, two compelling and unique lead characters, and a well-paced conspirac
Maggie Whitworth
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On his return from overseas, after being summoned home by his older brother, Declan finds he is now the new Duke of Darington ,and , that his brother has been found dead after being attacked by footpads in spittallfields , somewhere where a Duke would not normally be .
Alethia has recently returned from living with her mother in Scotland, and she has been reunited with her twin brother Finley.
Their past links them both , they all were best friends when they we're young , but tragedy and suspici
Maddison Michaels
What an absolutely delightful book!! The chemistry between Declan and Althea is sizzling and had me hooked from start to finish. The pacing was great and the characters were all so well developed. Such a fabulous debut and I'm so looking forward to this author's next book! Highly recommended :)
books are love
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Received in exchange for a honest review.

You see family shine in this book. Twins stick together and believe in one another. We see love in spades.

Alethea is loyal to her dad even when it hurts to be. Even when he sees her as cattle and a chip to use to help himself. She is strong and smart. Something that in the era she is in doesn’t get promoted or seen as something to revere. Declan does. He loves her strength and independence. How fierce and passionate she is. How she helps him even knowing
Becky
Our hero, Declan, returns to England after twelve years away in the West Indies. He left following his fathers suicide, when his family was embroiled in a financial scandal. Upon his return, he learns his brother is dead and he is now the Duke.

Growing up neighbors, Alethea harbored a young tendre for Declan. Declan’s family had suggested a betrothel between them, but it was refused by her family, as he was a second son.

This book revolves around rekindling their friendship and relationship, as we
Lisa

Hmmm. The story had potential, and it would have been an easy 4 star read for me had it not have so many plot holes. The whole conspiracy behind Declan's family scandal was convoluted and not properly developed IMO, and I was a bit eh about how the Truth was revealed (view spoiler) and how the Problem was solved (view spoiler)
Nicole
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I received this book from net galley for an honest review. Thank you!!

This novel was a nice read. The author was able to incorporate romance with some mystery. There was a twist that I did not even see coming. Discovering the truth can cause many different reactions. How those reaction and knowledge are handled is what defines who the person is.
Lady Alethea Swinton and Declan Sinclair have known each other since they were children. Their fathers had an investment plan and were friends. All that
Coral
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Plot: 3/5
Characterisation: 4/5
Prose: 4/5
How much I enjoyed it: 4/5
Lubnaa (Romance Library)
I received this ARC from NetGalley and voluntarily chose to write a review.

This story had great potential. The first third of the book was excellent and interesting, but everything started falling apart after that.

The quotes at the beginning of each chapter were confusing at first, but they end up building to a certain event in the story, so I think they were an excellent inclusion.

My main issue with the story has to do with the inconsistencies and unanswered questions. Let's begin with the
Sissy's Romance Book Review
'To Love a Scandalous Duke' by Liana De la Rosa is the story of Declan 'Dec' Sinclair and Lady Alethea 'Allie' Swinton. Dec has returned after a long exile after his father's death. Dec is now needed back home because of his brother's death. Dec is left to take the Title of Duke. Allie is over joyed to see her friend Dec back but her father warns her to stay away from him. Allie has tried to be the prefect daughter and lady for her father but Dec is a temptation to her perfect lady persona. Dec ...more
Laura  Kristie
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was delicious from beginning to end. Alethea really resonated with me, and I loved her as a heroine. Declan was her perfect hero - dark, sometimes brooding, but still vulnerable. The author really dove deep into the emotional aspects, and I loved the descriptiveness. The secret/hook had me turning the pages, eager to find out more. The side characters really spoke for themselves as well, and I'm hoping we get a story for both Finlay and Flora! I will definitely keep my eye out for the ...more
Michelle Fritz PA
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quite the Merry Adventure

I loved this novel ♡ Chalk full of romance, suspense, intrigue, betrayal and reckoning this was everything you'd desire to read and much more ♡♡♡ The hero was dashing and bent on revenge. The heroine was lovely and kind hearted. Add a protective and amusing brother and a loyal friend or two into the plot and it spells one diverting and entertaining tale. It's always such fun to see how characters will allow love to conquer all in the end. This amazing author penned one o
Ann L
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a new author for me and I was pleasantly surprised, this story has a lot going on as the hero tries to find the culprit of a murder and betrayal to his family, which could ultimately cause the downfall of his childhood friends family.

I received an ARC from Netgalley and voluntarily leave my opinion
April Moran
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh it was so good! Excellent storyline and writing had me engaged right away. Thoroughly enjoyed it!!!
Krystal
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it

This was one of those stories that I LIKED. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. There were some points that made me smile, and some parts that made me roll my eyes.

I very much enjoyed the relationship between Declan and Althea. You could tell that their childhood friendship had bloomed into something more, even after his long absence. The chemistry was obvious and if this were a romance alone, it probably would have been a more enjoyable read (at least for me).

Now don't get me wrong
Kathryn
Ay yi yi. So torn on this one. At first, I loved it. I thought it was fresh, bold, inclusive...then, I just got a little weary of the plot. I was actually kind of excited to read a romance with a mystery - so many of my early reads in romance had a mystery to be solved, or a murder, or something - I hardly come across that type anymore. Eventually I grew tired of the mystery, and it wasn't much of a mystery, really. The (view spoiler) ...more
wonderfullyweird88
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a copy from the publishers in via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Description from the book:
Amanda Hanson
I was pleasantly surprised by this book! I think, when I saw the title, I was sort of disappointed - I'm used to the snappy, punny romance titles! I know, don't judge a book by it's title (or cover). I'm glad I read it!

Allie and Declan (YOU SHOULD ALL KNOW HOW I LOVE THAT NAME) were so cute together. I liked the slow build, where they acknowledged their childhood friendship and built on it. There were times where Declan felt a bit predatory, and sometimes the dialogue was a bit stilted. And ther

• The Gentleman Who Loved Me (Heart of Enquiry, #6)
  • The Importance of Being Scandalous (A Tale of Two Sisters, #1)
  • An Heir of Uncertainty
  • Romancing the Scot (The Pennington Family, #1)
  • Bones For Bread (Scarlet Plumiere, #2)
  • A Spy Unmasked (In the Crown's Secret Service #1)
  • The Scandalous Duke Takes a Bride (Dangerous Rogues, #3)
  • Whisper to Me of Love (Louisiana, #7)
  • Windswept (Wales, #2)
  • Heartbreak and Honor (Highland Heather Romancing a Scot #3)
  • An Heiress for All Seasons (The Debutante Files, #1.5)
  • A Stolen Season (A Stolen Season, #1)
  • A Dance with Seduction (A Spy in the Ton, #3)
  • Beauty Like the Night (Spymasters, # 6)
  • A Baron In Her Bed  (The Spies of Mayfair, #1)
  • Deepest Desires of a Wicked Duke (The Wicked Dukes, #3)
  • Break of  Day (One Night in South Beach #3)
Liana De la Rosa is a historical romance writer whose stories are set in the Late Regency and Victorian periods. Her Once Upon a Scandal series is published by Entangled Amara. Her writing also appears in the Avon Romance anthology, A DUKE TO REMEMBER.

Once Upon A Scandal (2 books)
  • To Resist a Scandalous Rogue