Start by marking “Brisingamen” as Want to Read:
Brisingamen

Brisingamen

Imagine that a shy graduate student has discovered the legendary necklace Brisingamen -- whose wearer bears the powers of the goddess Freyja, mistress of love and war...

Imagine that Freyja's enemy, Loki, has come to San Francisco to steal it back, so that he can release his fiery reign of terror...

Imagine that only Karen Ingold can stop him. Together with her unlikely alli
Published May 1st 1986 by Berkley (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Brisingamen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brisingamen

Chris
I have always liked the Norse gods better than I liked the Greek gods. I'm not sure why, but I do.

I am of two minds about this book. Part of me wants to give it two stars, part of me wants to give it three.

We'll take the negative first.

Brisingamen brings the Norse Gods to modern day San Fran and into the life of Karen Ingold.

Basically, this involes her becoming the incarnation of Freya (or something like that) and having sex with three different men over the course of the book. In and of itself
Grond
Jan 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
One of the few books in my life that I just could not gut out to the end. The main character finally drove me to abandon ship and all I can remember about it was equal parts revulsion for the main character and annoyance at its 'soapy-ness'.
Miriam
Aug 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mythology
1970s-ish sex-as-liberation take on Norse fertility myths.
Kris
Mar 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Book actually inspired me to check out opera!
Ghanima
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a very enjoyable read.
It's very funny that I found it, because my husband recently told me about "American Gods", and I told him that I loved the idea of the gods of ancient mythology walking around in modern times, but I don't like Gaiman's writing, and it would be even more interesting, to me, if the book revolved only about the gods of the Norse pantheon.
The theme of a girl, finding her personal power, fit perfectly with her finding the goddess Freya's necklace. All the references in
Dee Eisel
Diana Paxson has earned a reputation as a scholar of Northern European paganism. She also has a fantastic reputation for her fantasy and SF. This is an older book, but since the only previous work of hers I'd read was Star Trek novels, I really wanted to read something hers alone. I am so glad I chose this book.

Karen is stuck in a rut of her own making, her work on her doctorate on hold because of an affair gone sour. When she comes into possession of the pieces of an ancient gold necklace, she
Diana
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ploughing through a different book, It was such a relief to start on this one and find myself enjoying it immediately. I've read a few books and short stories by Diana L Paxson before and wanted something I knew I'd like, and this worked for me!
Different from the more direct fantasy I'd read, though it started like one, I was surprised to find it moved into today's world. However when our protagonist, Karen Ingold, takes some junky looking oddities from an ancient chest home to clean up, myster
Janet Whalen
Apr 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of my old faves....better than any of her other stuff. As you can see from my many reviews, anything that takes old mythos and plunks it into our modern reality pleases me. Havent read it in awhile, but I know Norse Gods are involved, a great read. Just read again in 2013. Knowing Paxon is an Asatru priestess and has been since before she wrote this book makes it even better. This is not fantasy; it is one reality blended with another. Shows practicing heathens as good Volk. Scholars, magici ...more
Donna
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have several books by Diana L. Paxson.
I did a search and found this book entitled "Brisingamen."
As I am teaching Pagan religions to students, I know that
"brisingamen" is the magical necklace that belongs to the
Goddess Freyja. So, wanting to journey with the necklace
of Norse mythology, I began to read this book.
I took to this book right away. The characters (mortals &
the Gods & Goddesses) interact because the necklace of the
Goddess has once again has been found.
If you are interested
Timothy Boyd
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Better than average story with a good bit of Norse mythology influence. Very recommended
Apr 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
This month's book club selection - somewhat like American Gods - except they are all Norse goddesses & gods.
Rowan
Sep 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Diana Paxson puts a modern twist on the Norse legend.
Lynxie Brat
Sep 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book, while not the best fantasy fiction I've read, has some very likeable charecters, and I only wish it had been longer, and the charecters more developed.
Felicity
Jul 31, 2010 rated it liked it
1. The 70s took a while to die.
2. Weird, weird, weird weird weird. Weird weird weird.
3. Um, Viet Nam? Really?
Oct 30, 2018
Richard
Jul 27, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Diana L. Paxson (born 1943) is a novelist and author of nonfiction, primarily in the fields of Paganism and Heathenism. Her published works include fantasy and historical fiction novels, as well as numerous short stories. More recently she has also published nonfiction books about Pagan and Heathen religions and practices.

In addition to her multiple novels and collaborations, she has written over