Start by marking “Monday's Not Coming” as Want to Read:
Monday's Not Coming

Monday's Not Coming

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  2,627 Ratings  ·  721 Reviews

From the critically acclaimed author of Allegedly, Tiffany D. Jackson, comes a gripping new novel perfect for fans of E. Lockhart and Gillian Flynn about the mystery of one teenage girl’s disappearance and the traumatic effects of the truth.

Monday Charles is missing, and only Claudia seems to notice. Claudia and Monday have always been inseparable—more sisters than frien

Published May 22nd 2018 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Monday's Not Coming, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Amber why did u like the book
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Zaac
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Emily May

This was one of my most anticipated reads of 2018. Even though I disliked the ending of Jackson's Allegedly, it was still a strong, gripping and important book, and I couldn't wait for the author to write something else. What's most disappointing about Monday's Not Coming is that it is an important book, but it isn't very strong, and it
Ellen Gail
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss, crying-now
How can a teenage girl just vanish without anyone noticing that she’s gone?

Allegedly scrambled my brain with a spork. Monday's Not Coming went for my heart instead.

I haven't had a case of the post-book sads this bad since I finished Living Dead Girl. The book hangover is going to be real.

Monday's Not Coming isn't a perfect book. The timelines can get confusing. The big twist didn't have quite the impact that Allegedly did. But the emotion beneath it all rang clear, and that's what made the bo
megs_bookrack
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PLEASE READ THIS BOOK!

As with Allegedly, I definitely need time to process what I just read. This book has hurt my heart and I just need some time. It was so good, so important, so intense...I need more people to read this.

Original: I just received this in the mail today and cannot wait to start. Commence reading immediately...

Kate (GirlReading)
Monday’ Not Coming was utterly devastating, gripping, dark, intense and it messed with my mind on multiple levels. The various relationships and characters in this were superbly written, with voices brilliantly human and real. This had my heart beating 1000x a minute and breaking in equal measures. I will say that I wasn’t the biggest fan of the structure of the book and therefore found the timeline a little hard to follow at times. There were also some potentially harmful plot points, which was ...more
Patty
** 4.5 stars **

I don't know if I'll be able to write an actual review using words. I'll try but until then I leave you this. PLEASE READ THIS BOOK.

Me before reading Monday's Not Coming:
Please please please please PLEASE don't let this ruin me.

Me once I started reading:
Damn. Tiffany D. Jackson ain't easing into this?!
description

Me getting confused by the Before, Before the Before, After, One year before the before:
Wait...so does this before chapter take place right after the last before chapter?

Me when shit
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Look at that rating! I only have one thing to ask . . . .

I realize I’m a monster for giving this so few stars, but it is what it is.

Before I get ahead of myself let me tell you that . . . .

“This is the story of how my best friend disappeared. How nobody noticed she was gone except me. And how nobody cared until they found her . . . one year later.”

Claudia and Monday were supposed to write letters every week during the summer wh
I know what you’re thinking. How can a whole person, a kid, disappear and no one say a word? Like, if the sun just up and left one day, you’d think someone would sound an alarm, right? But Ma used to say, not everyone circles the same sun. I never knew what she meant by that until Monday went missing.

This is a pretty heartbreaking novel, but it has it's issues. And that's unfortunate because it has this important message revealing a system that's broken as missing girls are overlooked. (and th
Lois
I really liked this. While it does contain mystery and thriller elements; this felt more like an exploration of community relationships, classism and respectability politics. As well as the major issues that this book draws attention to, some of which are spoilers but the obvious one is the lack of attention paid by authorities to missing black girls. This is a real issue with devastating community consequences. I was very over protective of my teenage daughter because as a result.
"Who's really responsible for your well-being? Your family, the government, or your community?"
Monday's Not Coming is a standalone YA/mystery novel written by Tiffany D. Jackson. Although a bit taxing to follow with its three alternating timelines and unfortunately not incredibly engaging IMO, it incorporates very real and important themes related to our most vulnerable resource (our children) falling through the cracks of our nation's various systems. But as the quote above suggests, this
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

*Disclaimer: An ARC of Monday’s Not Coming by Tiffany D. Jackson was provided to me by the publisher & Indigo Books & Music in exchange for an honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

Initial post-reading thoughts:

Holy shit, this book.

What I Liked

The alternating timelines. I absolutely love when a story contains multiple timelines that are out of order. I know a lot of readers didn’t love this aspect of the story, but honestly, I thought that it made it more memorabl
Trevor
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, apl, tlb, ya
While I didn't enjoy this as much as Jackson's debut, I'm glad I stuck with it. Another overlook on my part; I wasn't aware that the narrator is actually in middle school. Claudia's voice felt very young & naïve (now I understand why) & was debating whether or not to continue. Usually I have a difficult time sympathizing with these kinds of characters in novels categorized in YA. Considering how much I enjoyed ALLEGEDLY, I decided to give Jackson the benefit of the doubt. By 3/4 in, it b ...more
Jazmen
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An attempt at a coherent review, will be posted soon!

Narrator: Coherent thoughts were not found.

This book is absolutely amazing, possibly slept on and an attempt at a subject that deserves the limelight. Read it!
PinkAmy loves  💕 books📖, cats😻 and naps🛏
**I reread MONDAY’S NOT COMING immediately after finishing, keeping the spoilers I knew about the timeline in mind and I have to to say #TiffanyDJackson brilliantly put the story together with just enough clues that readers more astute than me might discover the meaning of which part of the story was being told. I actually enjoyed the story even more the second time with this knowledge so upped my review to 5 stars.

4.5 STARS

If a middle school student disappears, shouldn’t people care? If that ch
Chelsea
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star
There goes one of my most anticipated releases of the year. I wouldn’t say it’s a disappointment, but sadly not going to be a new favorite. 3 1/2 stars

This story follows Claudia, a young teen who has a best friend named Monday. When Claudia returns to school at the start of the year, Monday isn’t there and no one seems to have any idea where she is. Told in three timelines, the story explores the relationship between Monday and Claudia as the mystery of her disappearance is unraveled.

The premise
Elise (TheBookishActress)
10/6/2017: COVER REVEAL!! also, Washington DC is amazing.

8/17/2017: look, her debut novel is one of my all-time favorite books. I can't even imagine how good this will be.
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Content warnings: Bullying, slut-shaming (challenged), systemic racism and classism (challenged), on-the-page and off-the-page child abuse, off-the-page domestic violence, and possibly more.

The Only Thing That Didn't Work For Me:
The reason for the "Before", "Before the Before", "After", etc., timeline didn't work for me. I appreciate the uniqueness but I think it takes us out of the story a bit in the end because the reasoning for it wasn't written in a believable way.

Why I Recommend Moving This
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“...It’s hard facing a mirror and seeing all you are made of and all you couldn’t absorb. But I’m open to be changed. To be in a place where I can hold all the colors I love at once, appreciate what they are and learn from them. I’m open to new beginnings.”

This is 100% a case where me not liking the book is a personal preference thing and no fault at all to the book. I’m positive a lot of people will enjoy Monday’s Not Coming, and I encourage you to give the story a shot. It’s a bea
Morgan Gayle
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more I think about this book the more I see it’s importance.
ilsa ➹
May 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t hate this one. Nor did I love it. I just felt, so underwhelmed. I was kind of expecting this dark mystery thriller book...but instead, I got a really dragged out mystery.

I wasn’t bored but again, nothing happened!! A lot of this book was just filler and I cared about all the wrong characters. I didn't care about the story!!

I'm VERY confused about this story. The plot twist...was me just sitting there like “Oh.”. I didn’t feel anything, in fact, if anything, I was let down. Normally whe
Lindsey Lynn
Red_Queen_Lover
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Jeweliana
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Leave her out in the heat too long and her banana peel would start to rot. The tip of her highlighter blackens with wear. The prickling of her pineapple skin sometimes leaves her impossible to open. And dandelions are nothing but pretty weeds."

Finished this book in two days, which is really fast for me! As a black woman, I was immediately drawn in by the strong representations of black families and culture. I could easily see myself in Claudia's shoes and I couldn't put this book down. But Ja
Nikki S
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tla-2018-author
WTF DID I JUST READ?! TOTAL. MIND. EFF.

*Edit 05/18/2018*

You can find more of my reviews here at my blog: Take Me Away...

Having missed her debut last year, when the reviews started rolling in, I knew that I had missed out on something really good. Because of that, I added this to my TBR and vowed that I would NOT miss this one. And let me tell you, I'm glad I didn't. This has already claimed my spot as the #1 thriller of 2018.
Monday is missing and her best friend Claudia seems to be the only
Marina
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew this book was going to be heartbreaking. But, it's devastating on so many levels. It's beautifully written and the characters are fantastic. The way the story unfolds makes you hold out a little bit of hope, even when you know there isn't any.

Severe trigger warnings for child abuse.

And: homophobia.
Cori Reed
I didn't mean to finish this in one day, but here we have it!I definitely recommend the audiobook of this one. Enjoyable and it definitely kept me hooked, but not a new fav.
Cassie Gutman (happybooklovers)
I finished this last night, but it caused such a hangover that I needed some time to ~process~

This is incredible. Not only is it a gripping story that moved at a wild pace, but it is an important one that is all too real for too many people and because it is marginalized people (missing young girls of color), often they are overlooked by police departments or classified as "runaways."

If Tiffany Jackson isn't on your radar as a not-to-be-missed author, consider this your alert. A wonderful, harro
JaVone Bentley
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-on-shelf
Wow! Just wow. I did get a bit discombobulated with the different time shifts but overall it was a great story!
Katie
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I COULD NOT PUT THIS BOOK DOWN!
What a fantastic, realistic and poignant read.
I would highly recommend this to anyone, especially if you liked "The Hate U Give". I will definitely be picking up anything she writes in the future.
I was blown away by everything that happened in this book and it gave some serious insight into the lives of those that fly under the radar of the safety systems in our society.
J Beckett
In 2012 I worked in Washington DC. Amidst the chaos, omnipresent politics, and scurrying of residents and visitors toward an unknown end, something clouded the purpose, redefining the mood. DC was, and remains, an enigma; the best and worse of the best and worse.

Four hours into my first day I was told the story of four children. It seemed to be a required post-employment discussion. My career as an educator was filled with stories about abused children and homes unfit for the rodents the borrowe
Tiffany D. Jackson is a TV professional by day, novelist by night, awkward black girl 24/7. She received her Bachelor of Arts in Film from Howard University and her Master of Arts in Media Studies from The New School University. A Brooklyn native, she is a lover of naps, cookie dough, and beaches, currently residing in the borough she loves with her adorable chihuahua Oscar, most likely multitaski ...more
“Rumors are born with legs that can run a mile in less than a minute.
Rumors eat up dreams without condiments.
Rumors do not have expiration dates.
Rumors can be deadly.
Rumors can get you killed.”
3 likes
“This is the story of how my best friend disappeared. How nobody noticed she was gone except me. And how nobody cared until they found her . . . one year later.” 2 likes