Start by marking “Humans vs Computers” as Want to Read:
Humans vs Computers

Humans vs Computers

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  137 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Humans vs Computers is a book about people caught between wrong assumptions and computer bugs. You'll read about humans who are invisible to computers, how a default password once caused a zombie apocalypse and why airlines sometimes give away free tickets. This is also a book on how to prevent, avoid and reduce the impact of such problems.

Our lives are increasingly track
Published September 1st 2017 by Neuri Consulting LLP

To ask other readers questions about Humans vs Computers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Humans vs Computers

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Humans vs Computers
Sebastian Gebski
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First of all, this books reminds me one of my fav software conf talks - it was DevDay 2014 (I think) & the speaker was Jon Skeet. The topic was mainly about the conceptual gaps between the real world & deceptively simple models we use to implement it in our applications. Basically, this book is like Jon's talk on hyper-steroids: several times longer, several times more comprehensive & just as enjoyable.

So, just to be precise - if you've read previous Gojko's books, this one is nothing like them
Mark Seemann
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: software
This book contains a collection of stories about software defects (AKA bugs). While I'm a programmer myself, they seem to be written with a broader audience in mind. I don't think that you have to understand technical intricacies in order to be able to follow the stories.

While I was reading, I was wondering whether my (doctor) wife would be able to understand the book. Perhaps, but I'd guess it's just so technically detailed that she'd tune out on it. On the other hand, I'd think that anyone who
William Thibodeau
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-bookshelf
Loved this book. A lot of examples about real world problems with computers and it shows how everything can go wrong with computers software. 4/5 ****.
Robert Pankowecki
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic collection of a wast amount of possible programming fuckups. A must read for every developer. Find out how small and funny but also huge and catastrophic bugs cause people to loose time, money or even die.
Alex Fürstenau
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was very entertaining. A good book for reading during family vacation. It contains several stories about the interaction between humans and computer (systems). A lot of wisdom can be gained about whether something should be automated or how it should be automated.
Nemanja Cedomirovic
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Odlicne price koje na sjajan nacin pokazuju sta se desava kada racunari odbiju da "slusaju", ili kako ljudske greske i nedovoljno istestiran softver moze da napravi ogromne probleme koje kostaju milione i milijarde. ...more
Szymon Kulec
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
The longest 200 pages that I read in a while. Books is constructed in a very repetitive way, presenting stories and chopping them into paragraphs. It looks almost like it was glued from different pieces. I admit that I truly admire the author as an IT professional. In this book I found nothing from him. It's a generic book about humans' mistakes related to computers. No human touch included.

Topics covered in this book: null, address, dates and a few others. All the things that usually make IT's
Johnny
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read for every software developer. Automation helps to get things done faster, not better. Gojko explains all the different ways how automation can go wrong and what consequences this may have. Trivial things like names offer endless opportunities for big failures, the same is for error conditions, test data and many other parts we never think about. Before you automate your next task, read this book and stop yourself from becoming part of the next edition.
Piotr Stapp
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting book, but not as good as I expected. A lot of rather sad stories from computer software history, about how IT made stupid mistakes, which affected people live.

A lot of them are funny, and I'm sure I will use them in "beer" conversations
Peter Eysermans
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Was doubting between a 2 and a 3 star rating. Although the stories are entertaining and the book is well written, I have the feeling this could've just been a blog post. The stories become monotonous and more of the same after a while. ...more
Dennis
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Readable and enjoyable short stories on how software behaves in unexpected and unwanted ways. Moreover, Gojko suggests how these bug, flaws and glitches may be avoided. Great holiday read for developers, testers, product owners/managers, project managers, business analysts and auditors.
Isidro López
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very shocking, funny and interesting real stories about the dangers of "not correctly" tested or monitored software systems :-)

Besides the tones of examples, I found very valuable advices to avoid them (e.g. names, dates, unicode, cultural and ethnic differences, etc).
Pedro Santos
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Lots of examples on how some minor software errors generated huge problems. Great book for QAs.
Erik M
Nov 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun anecdotes of computer bugs caused by humans having catastrophic effects.
Nilesh Ps
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Written for everybody with no dull moments !
Paul Horvath
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you are working in software development it's a must read. ...more
Rosie
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it, but I did find it funny that a book on this topic would have so many editing errors.
Jose Antonio
Dec 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great stories. Very easy to read and an amazing set of references for cases where software created real world problems.
Åsa Svensson
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a good collection of anecdotes, but that is not enough to make a good book.
Artur Skowroński
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Trivia book, but very well written and funny trivia book. It is easy to read, while not having huge depth.

The last chapter is a quite nice book form of pages like https://github.com/mtdvio/every-progr.... This chapter "upped" my rating from 3 to 4 stars.
Matthijs
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Humble Pi: A Comedy of Maths Errors
  • Sapiens: a Graphic History, Volume 1 - The Birth of Humankind
  • Clean Agile: Back to Basics
  • Blood, Sweat, and Pixels: The Triumphant, Turbulent Stories Behind How Video Games Are Made
  • Statystycznie rzecz biorąc, czyli ile trzeba zjeść czekolady, żeby dostać Nobla?
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • A Philosophy of Software Design
  • The Seven Good Years
  • One Last Story and That's It

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Gojko Adzic is a partner at Neuri Consulting LLP, winner of the 2016 European Software Testing Outstanding Achievement Award, and the 2011 Most Influential Agile Testing Professional Award. Gojko's book Specification by Example won the Jolt Award for the best book of 2012, and his blog won the UK Agile Award for the best online publication in 2010.

Gojko is a frequent keynote speaker at leading so

News & Interviews

Nature, in Her infinite awesomeness, can provide solace even when you’re stuck in the house. As a matter of fact, the numbers suggest that...