Start by marking “George's Marvelous Medicine” as Want to Read:
George's Marvelous Medicine

George's Marvelous Medicine

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  67,564 ratings  ·  2,263 reviews
George's Grandma is a grizzly, grumpy, selfish old woman with pale brown teeth and a small puckered up mouth like a dog's bottom. Four times a day she takes a large spoonful of medicine, but it doesn't seem to do her any good. She's always just as poisonous after she's taken it as she was before. When George is left to look after her one morning, it's just the chance he ne ...more
Library Binding, 96 pages
Published April 9th 2009 (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about George's Marvelous Medicine, please sign up.
Meghana hi Phebian, Goodreads is a website where you rate/review books and discover new books. They do not sell books or provide links to e-books.
Maryam It's not a "Medicine" like pills or actual medicine doctors give you, it's just stuff from a garage and a laundry room or bathroom e.t.c. And he mixed…moreIt's not a "Medicine" like pills or actual medicine doctors give you, it's just stuff from a garage and a laundry room or bathroom e.t.c. And he mixed it all up and boiled it.(less)

·  67,564 ratings  ·  2,263 reviews

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
When I was twelve years old I gave a mini presentation to my English class about this book. Afterwards it was time for questions, one annoying girl (who looked strangely like Princess Leia from Star Wars) persisted in asking me, several times, if I didn’t realise that this was a “kid’s book.” She couldn’t understand how I could be reading it at my age; she even went as far as to call me childish. I was terribly insulted. I didn’t know how to respond. She went after me and gave her presentation o ...more
Miranda Reads
Well...that's one way to deal with a cranky grandparent

As a kid, I would find this mischievous and delightful. As an adult, I find George to be quite the monstrous little demon as he joyfully poisons grandma. Sure, the lady is grumpy and rude...but did he really need to make her disappear? I worry for George's parents, should they ever displease the little psychopath.

Now, George says he just wants to make her better medicine. It's all a cover-up. Even at eight, you'd know whether or not adding s
Mariah Roze
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mariah Roze by: Matt
I am currently trying to read all of Roald Dahl's books since he is such a phenomenal writer. This book was no exception. It was creative and mystifying. The concept was unique and very captivating and the book left me with wanting to read more.

George's grandma bosses him around. George can't stand his grandmother and how she always treats him badly, so he decided to make a magic medicine to replace his grandma's normal medicine. He goes around his home and collects a variety of ingredients tha
Miriam
Jan 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger

I rather sympathized with little George, a basically good, polite, and obedient boy who does his best to please his fickle and ill-tempered granny, to no avail. If I could get away with dosing my nearest but not-dearest with a dollop of George's Marvelous Medicine -- well, I better take the Fifth on that topic.

My attitude probably will not reassure adults who fret that undiscerning young readers may be inspired to emulate George's Graham Young ways, but this book is so crazy that I wouldn't be
Dannii Elle
I'm unsure where my lack of love for this title stemmed from. Please tell me I'm not the only one who used to spend their bath-time making 'potions' by mixing all the shampoos and bubble bath within reach into a jug?? That is basically what George does, in this story, only with more severe consequences.

George was a book I was familiar with, but never a childhood favourite of mine. I can recall repeated readings of this book, but I believe this was more due to my adoration for the author rather t
Sam Quixote
Jan 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t remember much about George’s Marvellous Medicine from when I read it as a kid except that I didn’t love it. So I was curious to find out exactly why I thought that and whether the book might be better now that I’m older and (barely) wiser.

Well: I think George’s Marvellous Medicine might be Roald Dahl’s worst book!

George has a hateful grandma whom he decides to teach a lesson by mixing together various ingredients and giving it to her, pretending it’s her medicine. Something silly happen
Kerri
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came across a copy of this the other day in my local bookstore. It's a childhood favourite and when I saw that the illustrations were in colour I couldn't resist buying it.
I've had a great time reading this again. Roald Dahl's books are absolutely brilliant and Quentin Blake's illustrations are the perfect match for the wonderful stories. Fun, absurd and somewhat scary, I have enjoyed reading 'George's Marvellous Medicine' many times! 🐓🐔
Colleen
Jun 03, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, roald-dahl
Mmmm. I really like Roald Dahl but this book...is a little scary. I wouldn't let my child read it. Introducing the idea into a child's head to create a concoction to add to a liquid medicine someone is currently taking is not something I want to do.

I also didn't like the language in the book. For example, here are some of the lines Grandma said,

"Mummy's as stupid as you are",
"you're a nasty little maggot"
"you're a lazy and disobedient little worm",
"oh you horrible little boy, you disgusting l
Becky
Well this was quick and quirky. I hope that this kid doesn't go into the medical field. He's far too willing to use dangerous stuff in his "medicines". I mean, engine oil and anti-freeze are fine, but flowers of turnips? What is he trying to do? Kill someone??

Wait.

I'm not sure what the moral of this story is... 8 year olds can't be trusted with responsibility because they'll muck it all up? Or Grandmothers should only be nice or they deserve to be set on fire, inflated, super-stretched and the
Mario
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never grow up...always down.

I can safely say that Roald Dahl is the best children's books author. The way he pulls you into the story will never cease to amaze me.

The only reason I'm giving this book 4 stars is because I've enjoyed Matilda and The Witches a little more. This still is a great book, that I've finished in a heartbeat, and I'm sure I'll re-read it again more than once.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
The funniest thing about this book is the dedication page. "This book is for doctors everywhere." Ha! Roald Dahl was such a cheeky devil.

George is stuck at home alone with his mean, scary, and very demanding grandma. He's supposed to give her medicine at eleven o'clock. Instead of giving her the usual medicine, he concocts a replacement batch, hoping it will improve Grandma's disposition. To create his "Marvelous Medicine," George throws in absolutely everything he can find around the house. Sh
Debbie
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What's not to love about a Roald Dahl book? Loved the part with the grandma but it lost a little steam after that. Still liked it enough to make it a book club selection with some of my 4th graders.
LENA TRAK
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I don't think this is appropriate for children. Young kids who read this might end up taking large gulps of shampoo or eating body lotions.. They also might end up hating their grandmothers and start calling them '' filthy hags''... Maybe I am missing something here.. But this book seemed too creepy to me.

I do recognize Dahl's unique writing style though...and I have to admit I liked it a little bit.

2 stars because I want this way to advise parents against reading this to their children..
Catie
My seven year old thought this was the most shocking, funniest, most thrillingly disgusting book ever and she loved every minute of it. My four year old fell asleep about 1/4 of the way through but we carried her off to bed and then read the rest of the book together in one go, cackling madly with blankets wrapped around our heads.
Stacey (prettybooks)
This post is part of the 2016 Classics Challenge.

WHEN I Discovered This Classic
I wasn't aware of George's Marvellous Medicine until I bought my beautiful Roald Dahl box set three years ago. I've been slowly (obviously!) making my way through it and it was George's time.

WHY I Chose to Read It
Much like with Agatha Christie, it was time for my annual dose of Dahl.

WHAT Makes It A Classic
It's one of Roald Dahl's lesser-known novels – a short and eccentric story about what happens when you get a tast
Mariah Roze
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Ashley Daviau
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This isn’t the first time I read this story but I think I was able to appreciate how silly it was much more this time around. If anyone truly had ingested such “medicine”, I’m pretty sure much worse would have happened than in the story! But that’s what made it so funny and so enjoyable, the pure ridiculousness of it!
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Published: 1981
Author: Roald Dahl
Recommended for: children and pretty much everybody

This is one of the absolute classic childrens books by the wonderfully talented Roald Dahl and teamed up with the outstanding Quentin Blake for the illustrations. This book features George Kranky who ends up taking care of his Grandma who is possibly one of the most selfish people in his life, so when George gets a change to makes up his Grandma's medicine it is his turn to try and get the poisionous attitude out
Joey Woolfardis
Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

I'm a bit baffled as to why this particular book made it on to the list. I've not really heard about it and I had no preconceptions of it as I went in: just a few ideas of what a Dahl book is like. The whimsy is there, as is the imagination. The Horrible Person (or People in some cases) is there with their Horrible Traits and the Dahlian ending that I've come to expect but am still surprised by.

It's
Emma
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrns
Have just read this for the umpteenth time with this year’s class. They love the story and it’s easy to do a really creepy screechy voice for grandma!
Greg
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Lately: Mann's "Magic Mountain", Dosty's "Crime and Punishment", halfway through Joyce's "Wake", Knausgard's 5th volume of "My Struggle", and just started Volume 5 of Proust's massive work. Nesbo's intense "Redeemer". Just to name a few summer reads. I deserved a break: this children's book fit the bill. George mixes a cocktail for his grouchy grandma and things go wrong. This Dahl book really doesn't need any prose: the illustrations (of grandma's head popping through the roof of the house, for ...more
Matt
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matt by: Mariah Roze
Shelves: audiobook, children-s
Another Dahl classic that I have not read for many years. During a short binge read of the author's work, I thought that this would be perfect to warm my heart as I think back to my own childhood. George Kranky is a wonderful little boy, though he is saddled with one of the most cantankerous grandmothers on the planet. She insults him, berates him, and demands that he wait on her. Tiring of being insulted, George takes it upon himself to concoct a little plan to seek his own form of revenge. Kno ...more
#Fangirl31♥
3.5 stars!

Really enjoyed this but Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is still my favourite.
Jessica
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well. That was super weird. I mean, yeah, it's Roald Dahl but . . . wow. That was SUPER WEIRD. Hilarious, and with a rather abrupt ending, I got the feeling that this was a bedtime story he had told his kids and then written down, more so than any of his other books.
Angela
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Georges Marvellous Medicine tells the story of 8 year old George Kranky who lives on a farm with his mum, dad and his nasty old grandma. She is a bitter old lady who speaks horribly to George and is always saying mean things to him. It is George’s job to give his grandma her medicine at 11am every day. George feels that the medicine does not make her any nicer so one day he decides to make his own medicine for her hoping that it will cure her of her mean disposition. He concocts the medicine fro ...more
Tatevik Najaryan
Penguin's audiobooks are really good ones to listen to, especially Dahl's books. But you need a pause between two books, cause in every book there is always someone who screams, and you get a headache in the end.
I like Dahl! Have two more books for this year. Hope no one screams in these two.
Jason
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tried my hardest to hate this book, George is such a little psychopath, no matter how you read this book it is about attempted murder...at one time George even gets egged on by his Dad. But....the Grandma is such an evil old hag I soon found myself siding with George and relishing a big explosion.

The writing is typical Roald Dahl, quirky, dark and humourous. I thought it was going to be one of his weaker books due to the length, only 100 pages, but the length was just right in the end, any lon
Annet
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, classics
I love the imagination of Roald Dahl to create these funny, weird stories, and as a kid, used to love Charlie and the Chocolate factory and others. My nephews when they were small, I used to read to them from Roald Dahl books. This is a funny little story I did not know yet, about a terrible, vicious and cranky grandmother and George, who decides to give his granny a self fixed medicine to 'perk her up' ... and then weird things happen.... :-) And I absolutely love the funny drawings of Quentin ...more
Tiny Mendoza
Considering the fact that I'm a big sucker for children's books, I can't deny that Roald Dahl holds a special place in my heart (naks) and I have read almost all of his books.
I dunno, maybe I wasn't in a good mood when I read this or maybe I was just bored at the time but... (I hate to say this) for me this is the most uninteresting book I have read written by him.
description
Nadia
"I would never do that to my grandma."

I'm glad my children reached this conclusion at the end of our book discussion. They were fascinated by the story though - the 7 year old, the 6 year old and the often-distracted 2 year old. This book gave me another reason to look forward to bedtime, as if I needed another reason.

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Wishing-Chair Again
  • Unmentionable! (Uncollected)
  • The Demon Headmaster (Demon Headmaster, #1)
  • Double Act
  • The Fox Busters
  • My Naughty Little Sister (Naughty Little Sister, #1)
  • Otje