Start by marking “Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit” as Want to Read:
Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit

Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit

(Mindhunter #1)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  51,269 ratings  ·  3,510 reviews
FBI Special Agent and expert in criminal profiling and behavioural science, John Douglas, is a man who has looked evil in the eye and made a vocation of understanding it. Now retired, Douglas can let us inside the FBI elite serial crime unit and into the disturbed minds of some of the most savage serial killers in the world.

The man who was the inspiration for Special Agent
Published November 2nd 2017 by Arrow (first published October 31st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Mindhunter, please sign up.
WHS Lions Library Hi Georg,
Hi Georg,
Go to your local public library and ask if they have this book. If they don't it is a possibility according to where you live to ask them to purchase it. Goodreads, as far as I know, only links to book sellers and is not a library. (less)
Robert Narojek I think that it will be boring for you, so maybe watch the NETFLIX TV series with the same title. I found it interesting and engaging. In the book you…moreI think that it will be boring for you, so maybe watch the NETFLIX TV series with the same title. I found it interesting and engaging. In the book you find only praise of the ex FBI boy :((less)

·  51,269 ratings  ·  3,510 reviews

Start your review of Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit
Lightreads
So John Douglas is great when he’s talking about serial rape and child murder, and then he’s intensely obnoxious when he’s talking about anything else. So I guess it’s a good thing he mostly talks about rape and murder?

And when I say “John Douglas,” by the way, I mean John Douglas or his co/ghost writer, because who knows who wrote what. All I know is when this book talks about crime, it’s focused and intelligent and compassionate. And when it’s talking about anything else – the FBI, his home li
Kemper
This review is going to be as much about comparing it to the new Netflix series as it is the book itself. You have been warned.

John Douglas was a FBI agent who spent most of his career working for its Behavioral Science Unit. Along with other agents Douglas interviewed a wide variety of violent offenders including such notorious figures as Charles Manson, Richard Speck, and David Berkowitz, and then he tried to apply what they learned to develop criminal profiles of active unsolved cases. If you
Johann (jobis89)
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Behavior reflects personality. The best indicator of future violence is past violence. To understand the "artist", you must study his "art". The crime must be evaluated in its totality. There is no substitute for experience, and if you want to understand the criminal mind, you must go directly to the source and learn to decipher what he tells you. And, above all: Why + How = Who.”

Special Agent John Douglas is the man who helped usher in a new age in behavioural science and criminal profiling. W
Carol
If you’re a true crime reader in the US, Mindhunter is a must-read of greatest hits. Be forewarned, though, that Douglas is an almost unbearable horse’s a$$, lacking even the slightest self-awareness, and with a zeal for capitol punishment* (and arrogant dismissal of those who disagree with him) that twice came close to provoking me to throw Mindhunter across the room. Props to his (credited) ghost writer who no doubt toned down some of Douglas’ even more obnoxious takes.

Also note that the utter
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣
Ok, this is pure wow. The fact that the author doesn't adopt the 'holier than thou stance' so common with law enforcement makes this an extremely enjoyable as well as worthwhile read.
Q:
In high school, I was already six foot two, which I used to my advantage. Talent-wise, we were a so-so team in a good league, and I knew it was up to the pitcher to try to be a field leader and set a winning tone. I had pretty good control for a high schooler, but I decided not to let the opposing batters know thi
Maria Espadinha
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Think Like One and Get Them

What's that "thing" that thinks like a criminal, walks like a criminal, talks like a criminal, but doesn't (hopefully) act like a criminal ?

????????????????

???????????????

???????????????

It's an FBI Criminal Profiler, what else?!... 😜

GREAT BOOK 👍

In a Nutshell:
Outside of a killer, a book is a great friend. Inside of a killer it’s too dark to read (unless of course you can find a match there — BOOOOOMMMM💀💀💀 (Gosh!... These books bring out the worst in me 😜))

P.S.: As you p
Wendy'sThoughts
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Serial Killer series
9/2/19-UPDATE-Woo Hoo Mindhunter's Second Season Happening Now on Netflix-9 Brand New Episodes!!!! New York Magazine has an interesting article about the Real Take on the Atlanta Murders-https://www.vulture.com/2019/08/mindh...
●•●•●•●•●•●•●•
6/4/2019-UPDATE ‘Mindhunter’ Season 2: Charlize Theron Says August Debut, Plus Son of Sam Confirmed to Appear

Charlize Theron is one of the Executive Producers of Mindhunter and during an interview with Howard Stern, she revealed the second season of Mindhunte
Maria Espadinha
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How to be a Criminal Profiler

Imagine yourself thinking like a criminal!
The moment you'll start doing it, it's like grabbing the key of the safe where he hides all his secret, devilish plans.
You're gonna know where the hell he's gonna be, and what the f*** he's gonna do. And you could use that valuable information to get near enough to help him burn in his own flames, or, if you prefer a more succint, concise sentence, you'll have all it takes for a quite functional setup.

So the question is, how
✨    jami   ✨
the mindhunter tv show on netflix has literally both made and ruined my life
i have so much uni work but all i can do is watch netflix

listen buzzfeed unsolves: true crime JUST ended and mindhunter comes into my life? its like the universe is enabling my true crime interests

naturally i have to further destroy my life and read the book
Gary
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book recently having read the rave reviews received for the series of the same name on Netflix. I am an avid thriller reader and fascinated by most things related to crime so found this account by John Edward Douglas who is a former United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) agent and one of the first criminal profilers a very informative read. He recounts some of the cases he has dealt with, many of which are house old names such as Charles Manson and Ted Bundy and giv ...more
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
I really enjoyed my reread of MINDHUNTER, which I picked up on a whim again due to the fact that I'm incapable of remembering any book I've read, so it felt like I was reading this for the first time again. It is absolutely fascinating to read about Douglas' process in profiling serial killers based on their past, crimes, and actions after the fact. I'll never not find it mindblowing that this man, with years upon years of experience in such a dark field, has the skills to pinpoint a killer down ...more
Sara
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I started sixth form college to begin my A levels I had this strange idea that psychology would be amazing, and I'd get to learn all about the criminal mind and my inner self. Funnily enough, after a week I realised it wasn't about this at all and I transferred to Geography instead (wise decision).

I discovered this book, like most people at the moment, via the Netflix show of the same name, which I loved. And this book was similar in that it gave me everything I hoped I'd get out of that c
Steve Kemp
Jun 28, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
John Douglas has one hell of an ego on him that is for sure ! He loves to take a lot of credit that is due a different person. Same goes for all of his other books. Usually some good stuff in his books ,but you have to wade through the ocean of bullshit to get to it.
Passenger
I found this to be a surprisingly drawn out and narcissistic book.
For the first ca. 100 pages (in my edition) the author continued to talk about his childhood, college years, dating history, his countless brushes with the law and how well he could lie and manipulate others (there's someone you'd trust to be an FBI agent) and all of his more or less impressive achievements. The grandiosity was a bit much to stomach at times and I got the impression he just loves to hear himself talk, especially
Lori
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad that Charlize Theron gave a copy to David Fincher because I like the show. Just make that your doors are locked and that your phone works. ...more
Paul
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whew, a thoroughly taxing, but absorbing read. Certainly a lot of information to be processed, and most of it not very pleasant. John Douglas relates in an almost casual, understated style his lifelong hunt for serial killers, kidnappers and rapists. Chilling and consuming, it provides some sharp insight into not only deviant behaviour, but human nature itself.

Douglas is one of the fathers of modern day profiling. He was the model for Jack Crawford in The Silence of the Lambs. He interviewed and
Lori Krause
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling-
I thoroughly enjoyed this book; however, it wasn't what I had expected. I wanted to hear all about the top cases that John worked on and not necessarily his biography—saying that it wasn't all about him. It does give insight into his investigations and the minds of the killers he chased and caught. It was well written, and his detailed notes on each of the criminals were fascinating to read. It was compelling and full of suspects I hadn't heard of before. Other than a few that are bas
Jaya
Wow!!!
This was insanely fascinating. As a kid I used to watch Medical Detectives a series on Discovery channel which would re-enact a few of the true crimes and how the perpetrators were caught owning to forensic proofs and other tactics of solving them, primary among them would be "profiling" the perpetrator (s). The various kinds and number of cases that Douglas discusses in this book is somewhat alarming. If one is to consider the sheer amount crimes that happens across the world on a single
TheBookWarren
4.25 Stars — True crime’s greatest read? Perhaps. However storytelling may be this authors greatest attribute. Written like a first-rate thriller, this one will grab you and suck you in tight, rarely lasting you surface for air.

A annelid of serial killers, sucking detail opposed to blood from the depths of these horrific and dangerous subjects, Serial Killers. Having coined the term serial-killer which May in retrospect seem puzzling in-and-of-itself, this notion goes to the greater skill of thi
Caro the Helmet Lady
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm a huge fan of Mindhunter series. I watched first season on one breath and when I saw this book around of course I had to read it. Nonetheless it was stuck on my virtual shelf for more than a year after I purchased it... And shame on me for that, for I enjoyed the book a lot. And right now I can enjoy my second season of series with the peace of mind.

Despite that I rolled my eyes a little bit when reading, because J.E.'s ego was a bit of too much sometimes for my tastes, I found this book ver
Mariah Roze
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mariah Roze by: Matt
5 Stars for sure!
This book is great for anyone that likes psychology, true crime, serial killers, etc. This was very eye-opening and definitely different than the Netflix show. If you did or did not enjoy the Netflix show, don't base this book from that. They are very different.

"He has hunted some of the most notorious and sadistic criminals of our time: The Trailside Killer in San Francisco, the Atlanta Child murderer. He has confronted, interviewed and researched dozens of serial killers and a
Corban Ford
Not what I expected, even less of what I wanted. I thought I was going to delve into a fascinating and disturbing insight into behavioral science and how it can be used to profile serial killers and other deviants, instead I got something closer to "The life and times of John Douglas". Sorry, but if I'm reading more of your thoughts and your feelings than the actual cases I thought I was getting, then we have a problem, John.

During my reading Douglas came across as extremely egocentric, less of
Jess☺️
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
Mindhunter: Inside the FBI'S elite serial crime unit by John E Douglas and Mark Olshaker is a fascinating and dark read about some of the cases he has worked on over the years of his career, with a look into how looking at crimes can help him come up with an outline of who they are looking for.
It's also a great look at how the FBI has changed and evolved over the years, it also shows us how the behavioural unit was started.
It's definitely a great read if you're looking for something different an
Caidyn (he/him/his)
This review and others can be found on BW Book Reviews.

I think a fun fact about me is that the first time I ever contemplated being a psychologist (of any type, too) was when I started getting into serial killers. God, I was such a nerd about serial killer facts. I could tell you all about Ted Bundy’s upbringing, John Wayne Gacy’s crimes, Jeffrey Dahmer’s near miss with the police. I wanted to be a criminal psychologist. I wanted to be a profiler.

Now, I see what John Douglas does as a whole bunc
Diane in Australia
John was one of the first agents to put together the skill of 'profiling' a crime in order to aid in catching the criminal that committed it. Very interesting stuff, and logical, too. You would think that cops, and others, would have 'seen' these patterns themselves. Maybe they did. But when the FBI moved the idea from a vague 'voodoo' kind of input to an actual crime solving tool, things began to gel into a fantastic weapon against killers/rapists/etc.

Concise writing made the book easy to read,
Ria
Feb 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
''We've just go to make sure we keep learning faster than they do.''

gif

The show is better because they make their lives interesting.
Finally bought it and also watched season 2. Still pissed it got cancelled...
The descriptions of the crimes and the tactics they use is extremely interesting. Read it in one go. It's worth a read for the crime analysis and the profiling. The biographic part is not that great tho.
Kelly
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The pacing is different, but the book is packed with a lot of interesting info.
If you are a criminal minds fan, like I am, you’ll enjoy this (really reminded me of Rossi). You hear a lot about his journey and how the division faced skepticism and overcame it and is now seen as an invaluable part of the FBI.
Most of us true crime fans wonder “how can a person do that to another person” which I believe this book focuses on.
He covers famous and not so famous cases, I haven’t seen the series yet s
Michael
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is no secret that I am a fan of crime and thriller reads and am as fascinated as the next man as to what makes a murderer tick. One of those who took that very interest to the extreme was former FBI agent and criminal profiler John Edward Douglas. Over a 25 year career, he would encounter some of America's most dangerous individuals including Ted Bundy, Ed Kemper, Charles Manson, Richard Speck, and David Berkowitz to name a few. His conversations would provide an unsettling look into the mind ...more
Brittany
I have wanted to read this book for a while, and perhaps the anticipation built it up for me. I didn't even realize it was made into a tv show until recently. I, of course, wanted to read it before I watched the show, and I finally got the chance.

This book hits you in spurts. John E. Douglas goes into fantastical, sometimes excruciatingly boring detail about the backend of the job. Then BAM a new case, and I am totally invested. This lasted throughout the book.

I loved the Montana background, b
Dennis
To be honest, the show is better! I hate saying that, but the way this book reads does not keep my interest. It took me almost a month to get through this audiobook because the writing style is very over the top and detailed, rather than straight to the point. I prefer non-fiction and crime-fiction to just focus on the conversation at hand. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it. I definitely think readers should check out the show, but if you haven't yet, then maybe pick up the book first. That ...more
Project Example 1 8 May 05, 2020 08:25AM
Nonfiction Naviga...: Mindhunter 1 11 Jan 07, 2020 11:21AM
Nonfiction Naviga...: Mindhunter 1 6 Jan 07, 2020 11:19AM
Mindhunter 1 14 Jan 07, 2020 11:17AM

• American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century
  • The Stranger Beside Me: Ted Bundy: The Shocking Inside Story
  • Whoever Fights Monsters: My Twenty Years Tracking Serial Killers for the FBI
  • Green River, Running Red: The Real Story of the Green River Killer - America's Deadliest Serial Murderer
  • Dark Dreams: Sexual Violence, Homicide and the Criminal Mind
  • Zodiac
  • I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer
  • Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders
  • Bind, Torture, Kill: The Inside Story of the Serial Killer Next Door
  • Chase Darkness with Me: How One True-Crime Writer Started Solving Murders
  • Deviant: The Shocking True Story of Ed Gein, the Original "Psycho"
  • Serial Killers: The Method and Madness of Monsters
  • Night Stalker: The Life and Crimes of Richard Ramirez
  • The Evil That Men Do: FBI Profiler Roy Hazelwood's Journey Into the Minds of Sexual Predators
  • The Phantom Prince: My Life with Ted Bundy
  • Sexual Homicide: Patterns and Motives
  • Ted Bundy: Conversations with a Killer
  • Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery
See top shelves…
John Edward Douglas is a former United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) agent, one of the first criminal profilers, and criminal psychology author. He also wrote four horror novels in the mid 1990s. -Wikipedia

During his twenty-five year career with the FBI’s Behavioral Science Unit, a name he later changed to The Investigative Science Unit (Douglas & Olshaker, 1995), John Douglas becam

Mindhunter (2 books)
  • Journey Into Darkness (Mindhunter #2)

Articles featuring this book

If a true crime audiobook is your idea of the perfect listen, then this post is for you. True crime has been enjoying something...
“Behavior reflects personality.” 25 likes
“Behavior reflects personality. The best indicator of future violence is past violence. To understand the "artist," you must study his "art." The crime must be evaluated in its totality. There is no substitute for experience, and if you want to understand the criminal mind, you must go directly to the source and learn to decipher what he tells you. And, above all: Why + How = Who.” 23 likes