Start by marking “House of Gold” as Want to Read:
House of Gold

House of Gold

'Such is the power and wealth of the Goldbaums that on dull days, it’s said, they hire the sun just for themselves.'

The Goldbaums' influence reaches across Europe. They are the confidants and bankers of governments and emperors. Little happens in Europe without their say-so and even less without their knowledge. But Greta Goldbaum has no say at all in who she'll marry.

Whil
Published May 3rd 2018 by Hutchinson

To ask other readers questions about House of Gold, please sign up.
Fabrizia Greta is told of the two babies in the basket, and that only one of them survived - only Albert knew these details... I think he was rescued at the…moreGreta is told of the two babies in the basket, and that only one of them survived - only Albert knew these details... I think he was rescued at the last moment, just before sinking. It makes sense, and is a much better ending (and Greta's bargain with God - either Otto or Albert - is thus fulfilled).(less)

Mackey
House of Gold is a sweeping saga of the Goldbaum family during World War One and the events leading up to the great war.

I am finding myself reading more and more historical fiction often for the actual history that is included in the books. Some of these authors have done extensive research on fashion, important families and, most importantly, the events of the era about which they are writing. Natasha Solomons' House of Gold is no exception. Based on the Rothschild family, the Goldbaums are on
Jenny
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Rothschilds were once one of the wealthiest Jewish families in Europe. They established themselves as one of the most prestigious international banking families in all of Europe and gained nobility in the United Kingdom and Holy Roman Empire.
When you think of the Rothschilds, you think of great wealth, extravagance, opulent wealth, grand palaces, vast art collections and philanthropy.
As the Weekly Register said, “The Rothschilds are the wonders of modern banking. We see the descendants of Ju
Jenny
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katie B
The Goldbaum family has wealth and power throughout Europe but all of that could change with the rise of anti-Semitism. It's 1911 and an arranged marriage is set for Greta Goldbaum of Vienna and her distant cousin, Albert who is part of the Goldbaum family in England. But will Greta ever truly love her husband when they seem to have nothing in common? And will World War 1 tear the Goldbaum family apart?

I love family dramas. I love European historical fiction, and have read quite a few novels tha
Celia
Review at 40% complete:

This book is overly long, but there is a lot to like too.

What I like:
The interweaving of historical events, especially the Titanic.
The descriptions of the trappings of the rich, especially The Goldbaum Trans‑Europe Express
The feistiness of Greta, the main female character
The inclusion of nature: Albert's insect collecting, Greta's garden

What I don't like:
Albert is a stick in the mud, but I'm pulling for him any way.
Clement's problems with money.

Why House of Gold as a titl
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

Greta had been a handful since birth with her governesses explaining that if she had been anything but a Goldbaum, she would be out on the street.

The Goldbaums always married distant cousins to keep the name, their power, and their wealth secure.

Greta was to marry her second cousin from London whom she never met, but she was fine with it because she was hoping this would take her away from her daunting mother and all her rules about proper behavior.

As I was reading, it seemed as if I were livin
Jenna Bookish
House of Gold is a sweeping family drama that follows the fictional Goldbaum family in the years leading up to and during WWI. I read a lot of historical fiction, but I've read very little set in this particular time period, so I was excited to get into this book. Greta, a member of the Austrian branch of the Goldbaum family, is the main focus, although the novel does delve into the perspectives of other people in her life. The cast of characters was one of the main strengths of the novel, and i ...more
Susan Johnson
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley

I like historical fiction and this time around WWI is very interesting. This is the story of the wealthy Goldbaum family based on the Rothschild family. There were five boys who set up five different banking houses in England, France, Germany and Austria. They keep tight ties and marry the offspring of the other houses. They are courted by governments and yet ostracized at the same time because they are Jewish.

Greta Goldbaum of Austria marries Albert of the English house keeping famil
Mellie Antoinette
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***#earc thanks to #netgalley for a fair review***

This is a book where the ending defines the beginning. What do I mean by that?

Based on the Rothchilds in the years leading up to WWI (the book is organized by year), the first half of the book focuses on an intensely researched day in the life only to end with a bang on the battlefield scattering the family to the winds.

It’s incredible how far reaching the Rothchilds influence stretched. I’m amazed at Natasha’s (this is my third Natasha Solomon,
Chequers
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: closed-tandems
Era tanto che non leggevo una saga familiare cosi' ben scritta, fluida, interessante, mai banale ne' noiosa, con dei momenti di una tenerezza infinita: uno di quei libri dove mentre leggi tu sei li' con loro (pochi scrittori hanno questa capacita' di farmi sentire "dentro" il libro).
Il finale mi ha un po' lasciata perplessa (la scrittrice ha voluto darci un lieto fine che visto il periodo e la situazione ho reputato abbastanza improbabile) ma cio' nonostante la Solomons si merita tutte e cinque
Tammy
I love historical fiction and jumped at the chance to review House of Gold. I enjoyed the story of Greta and Albert but felt that there was just too much detailed history of events. I found myself skimming over some of the more detailed parts.
Beth Bonini
In 1911, the Goldbaum family are a banking dynasty with five branches in major European capitals: London, Vienna, Paris, Berlin and Zurich. They are rich almost beyond measure; they are collectors on a lavish scale; they have the ear of kings and prime ministers. The Goldbaums are also Jewish; and while that familial and cultural loyalty is critical for their success, it is also an Achilles Heel in a world being shaken by the latest wave of anti-semitism. (One of the subplots of this semi-politi ...more
Maine Colonial
Thanks to the publisher for providing an advance reader's copy.

This is a sort of family saga, though focused on one member of the Goldbaum family, Greta. The House of Goldbaum (loosely based on the House of Rothschild) is a banking empire, with outposts in the great capitals of Europe. The Goldbaums like to keep it all in the family, which means that Greta, from Vienna, is to marry her cousin Albert, of the London Goldbaums. (Nobody mentions any genetic fallout from this practice, but it’s the e
Natalie
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Natasha Solomons earlier work, especially THE GALLERY OF MISSING HUSBANDS, but this book surpassed her prior novels. It even made me a fan of a genre I generally don't like. Yes, this is a sweeping novel of love and death during WWI, but her writing is lush and beautiful. She has managed to create several memorable characters within a large family.

This is the story of the wealthy Goldbaum clan, inspired by the history of the Rothchilds. The central character is Greta Goldbaum. She is for
Melodie
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Goldbaums are a European dynasty. They are considered the premiere bankers in the world with branches throughout Europe. They wield financial power like no other family. They live opulently setting their own rules. And they are Jewish.
As the book opens in 1911, Greta of the Austrian branch of the family is set to marry one of the sons of the London branch. And she is not happy at all. Greta fancies herself to be beyond the strict rules that govern family life. She chafes against all the a
Aura
This is probably my favorite book of 2018 and I have read some fantastic books this year. Set at the outbreak of WWI, the story centers around the Goldbaum family, a Jewish banking family who basically finance Europe. The opulence of their life is offset by their real life struggles such as arrange marriages, childbirth and the danger of war. I cant rave enough about this book. I love historical fiction and I just felt so invested in this story and the characters in this book. I guess there is n ...more
Agnes
Mar 31, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2a-guerra-m, ebook
Perché ho perso tempo a leggerlo ????
Alcuni passi a caso che mi hanno irritato :
la democrazia dei Goldbaum :
"fece richiamare il cuoco dalla sua vacanza in Tirolo e lo convocò nelle cucine dell’hotel...."
contento il cuoco...
I problemi di Lady Goldbaum mentre il resto della popolazione viveva nella povertà :
"Lady Goldbaum era immensamente irritata. Una terribile grandinata aveva fatto scempio delle piantine più tenere del vivaio."
Il fratello è in guerra ( la Prima ) al fronte
" Greta ordinò un pacc
James Field
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy historical fiction, and this is among the best I've read. A long, languish, character driven novel, set in Europe up to and including the first world war. The story centres on a massively wealthy finance family of Jews, spread across Europe, and can only be based on none other than the Rothschilds.

Long drawn in places, too many details in other places, and loose ends are my only complaints.
Annette
The Goldbaums in this story are loosely based on the Rothschilds, once the wealthiest family in Europe and the world.

The story starts in Vienna, 1911, with the most influential family of its time.

Greta Goldbaum is told she is to be married to her cousin Albert in England.

While on her way to London, she stops in Paris. There she meets Emilie Floge, an Austrian fashion designer and a life companion of the painter Gustav Klimt. Emilie’s designs are bold and way ahead of her time. But this is what
Kate Vocke
I really wanted to love this one! I really did. But unfortunately this was a bit of a struggle for me and took a loooong time to get through. I love historical fiction. I love war stories. But this one just fell really flat for me.

Greta Goldbaum is a bright spot in the story and I devoured every chapter about her. She's smart and feisty and goes by the beat of her own drum. despite being part of the Goldbaum empire - one of the wealthiest families in the world. All the men are bankers and the Go
Quirkybookworm
I got all excited when I first read the synopsis because its' setting during WWI and the family saga and I adore historical novels.

The first half is pre-war and talks of Greta, arranged marriage, and the workings of banks. The second half is the beginning and during the war.

I was not able to relate to any of the characters. There were a lot of areas were just boring and tedious. I tried to like or even enjoy the book. It took me weeks to finally finish this book which is unheard of me.

I'll giv
Jill Meyer
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
British author Natasha Solomons’ newest novel is not yet published in the United States. I’m in Germany and purchased “House of Gold” at an english book store in Berlin. The novel is about the Goldbaum family, fictionalized Rothschilds, who have established banking and family empires in Vienna, Berlin, Paris, and London. In their world, cousins marry cousins, and in this book, Greta Goldbaum of the Vienna Goldbaums is marrying Albert of the London branch. The book is set in 1910 and after, meani ...more
Betty
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
HOUSE OF GOLD is a family saga about an Austrian heiress from a Jewish banking dynasty (inspired by the Rothschild family) who upon the outbreak of WWI is forced to choose between the family she has created for herself in England or the family members on the opposite side of the war.

The story begins in Vienna, 1911. Greta Goldbaum is engaged to marry the man chosen for her, a distant cousin, a man she has never met. But Greta dreams of living life her way, of breaking through those restraints pr
Linda Zagon
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Lindas Book Obsession Reviews "House Of Gold" By Natasha Solomons, G.P.Putnam's Sons , October 23, 2018

Kudos to Natasha Solomons, Author of "House of  Gold" for writing such an intense, intriguing, captivating, page turning, suspenseful, and emotional novel. I love the way that the Natasha Solomons weaves the layers of her story in such a descriptive and vivid way, that appeals to the senses. One can smell the flowers and plants, and the landscape, and growth and death. One can touch the fabrics
Linda Zagon
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Marilyn
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading House of Gold by Natasha Solomons. This was the second book of hers that I have read. The story seemed to be inspired by the lives of the Rothchilds, once one of the wealthiest families in Europe. It was a moving saga portraying the Goldbaum family, a large Jewish family of bankers residing in various parts of Europe, prior to and at the end of World War I.

The story began in 1911, where Greta Goldbaum from Austria was getting ready to marry a distant cousin from England. The G
Leigh-Anne
I really enjoyed this book, however, it's a long one and at times seemed to drag on. The Goldbaum family stretches throughout Europe and is a family built on fortune. Generally, the family marriages are arranged with other distant relatives to keep the Goldbaum name strong and in control. The main character in this book, Greta, is sent from her home in Austria to marry cousin Albert in England. She is not open to this marriage and so begins the family drama. To top it off, the Goldbaum family be ...more
Jane
Thanks to Reading With Robin for this book.

I wanted to like this book so much since it's historical Jewish fiction which I usually enjoy. I wanted to read more about Greta than the banks, the war, politics and the lives of the Goldenbaum men and family.

I found it boring (but managed to finish it). A total letdown and didn't live up to my expectations in any way. There wasnt one happy thing happening in this book that's for sure. Very depressing.
RoseMary Achey
WWI from the point of view of a extremely wealthy Jewish Family scattered across Europe makes for an interesting read.
Tara Vaglio
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This historical fiction focuses on the Goldbaum family during WWI. The story is incredibly detailed and focuses on the events leading up to the war. I generally don’t seek out books that focus on WWI, but this was a beautifully written story. I look forward to reading more from this author.

Thank you to the publishers and NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
  • Courting Mr. Lincoln
  • A Time of Secrets
  • The Second-Last Woman in England
  • Let Us Dream
  • The Summer Country
  • The Dark Rose (The Morland Dynasty, #2)
  • The Fisherman's Daughter
  • The Poppy Field
  • The Lost Daughter
Natasha Solomons is a writer and the New York Times bestselling author of The Gallery of Vanished Husbands, The House at Tyneford, and Mr. Rosenblum Dreams in English. She lives in Dorset England, with her husband, the writer David Solomons, and their two young children. Song of Hartgrove Hall is her fourth novel.