Start by marking “Shadow of the Rockies” as Want to Read:
Shadow of the Rockies

Grace Kent

Shadow of the Rockies

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  17 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Shadow of the Rockies tells the story of a young woman, Susannah, who flees from her abusive father after the Civil War, escaping to a mining town in the Colorado Territory. There, she meets a cattle rancher who changes her world forever. He gives her hope that life can be something more than she had ever dreamed. Susannah faces a great dilemma: hiding forever in her fear ...more

To ask other readers questions about Shadow of the Rockies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow of the Rockies

it was amazing Average rating 5.00  ·

Start your review of Shadow of the Rockies
Kathy
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love a good love story...and this book was definitely that!! I totally enjoyed how Susannah finally allowed herself to love even though she had a very hard childhood that left her physically and mentally injured. I was so encouraged how her faith in God changed her wounded mind and heart to a loving and forgiving young woman. I loved and respected the character of Tucker, Susannah's young man. He showed how a man should treat a woman and how a woman should be loved!! This was one of my all ...more
Brianna Traister
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed how the main themes of this book were overcoming hardships, forgiveness, and finding self worth. I've struggled with all three of those and really related with Susannah, the main character. The author did a wonderful job with the character development (one of the most important parts of the story!) and once I finished the book I felt like I was saying goodbye to old friends. I would love to see this story made into a series. I most definitely would recommend this book.
Alicia Mason
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Historical fiction is my favorite genre and this books ranks at the top of my favorites! Grace Kent weaves historical information of post-Civil War era into a beautiful love story. You find yourself rooting for Susannah throughout her journey to forgiveness.
Heather
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Engaging historical fiction that challenges our ideals in forgiveness and trust. It is vividly narrated and hard to put down.
Bren
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story shows the power that real love has in our lives. This book is a great reminder of the kind of healing love that God both has for us and wants for us. I would highly recommend this book to teen and young women alike as there is so much damage done by selfish love in our society. I would also encourage young men to read this as it paints a beautiful picture of self-sacrificial and patient love through Tucker's character.
Besides the deep truth conveyed in this book, the story itself was
Nicole S
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shadow of the Rockies is a great novel that takes place after the Civil War. Follow two young women on the adventure of a life time. The main character is very relatable as she processes and deals with pain, betrayal, friendship, family, and romance. The Gospel is spoken about throughout in a very real and intimate way! I loved reading about the family relationships as well as a few tidbits of history. Very well written! Out of the two books I’ve read so far by Grace Kent - Shadow of the Rockies ...more
Lori M
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Historical Fiction - my favorite! Post-Civil War era.
A powerful and truth-filled story of healing, forgiveness and unconditional love. Amazing love and grace triumph over hurt, devastation, and fear. The characters become friends that you don't want to say good bye to. Thank you, Grace Kent, for another great read!
Laurie Baginski
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I honestly could not put this book down! Sisterly, family, neighborly and romantic love all told through the lens of Christ’s love for us is a heavy theme in this book. Grace Kent has a way of fully immersing you in the historical time in which this is set while telling the timeless story of how true love has the power to change everything. I would not hesitate to recommend this book!
Heidi H
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this dear story of love, grace, and redemption. This book touched my heart deeply and reminded me of how much God loves each of us. Sometimes the most painful journeys can become the most treasured gifts. I loved the interaction of how Tucker and Susannah grew to understand, trust, and love one another. It is a beautiful story of how God can use all things for His glory.
Nancy
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great read from Grace Kent ! She brings to life in the 1800’s. Couldn’t put the book down. Amazing brave people back then. A must read!
Meg
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An amazing story!! One young woman's journey from pain to beauty and grace. Her story stirs you and her strength inspires you. A must read for any survivors.
Susan
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great read! The perfect story of love and forgiveness. I enjoyed how the main character learned of her self worth through the patience and love of a good man! Heart warming.
Sherry Mlynsky
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written sweet story of what true strength looks like. Grace and forgiveness and God's provision is really demonstrated in the characters. This is a MUST read!
Tritan
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has everything, the sad, the happy, and everything in between. it is one of my favorites.
Alison Riegel
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story which takes place in the 1800's! Readers can relate to Susannah- events in her life cause her to suffer and doubt, but relationships with friends who are Christians help her to work through those doubts and grow. The adventurous story line teaches us that we can do the same today! I hope there is a sequel!
Koda
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story captivating the audience with chilling moments and growth in faith. The author did a great job helping the reader visually embrace the time-period and the locations.
Tracy Day
May 04, 2019

• Orphan Train
  • The Kite Runner
  • Before We Were Yours
I've been writing stories since I was twelve years old, and have loved every minute of it. I'm just now starting my journey toward publication as I've recently become a stay-at-home-mom and decided it's time to really do something with my work. I always tell myself that if my book can encourage one person, I would be happy. However, I'd love to be able to encourage as many people as possible ...more