Start by marking “Flashes of Ember (Tales of Shalock Stables) (Volume 1)” as Want to Read:
Flashes of Ember (Tales of Shalock Stables) (Volume 1)

Flashes of Ember (Tales of Shalock Stables)

(Tales of Shalock Stables #1)

“Don’t go near the horses, and no hiking in the Razors.”

Twelve year old Geona drank in the beautiful sight of the moonlight shining on the horses around the large barn.
Shalock Stables. Home of the greatest racing horses in all of Eltiria.

And Papa now worked here! They lived just steps away from the biggest barn of the stables. It was perfect!

Only it wasn’t. She wasn
Published October 10th 2015 by Fiction on Fire Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Flashes of Ember (Tales of Shalock Stables), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flashes of Ember (Tales of Shalock Stables)

Start your review of Flashes of Ember (Tales of Shalock Stables) (Volume 1)
Serena
Flashes of Ember is a fun, fast-paced, horsey adventure with a beautiful theme of faith woven gently throughout and just a hint of fantasy. The first chapter (or two) was a little slow for me, with a few editing mistakes to stumble over. But the story soon sucked me in, and I devoured this little book in one sitting.

Geona is such a strong, well-developed character, and her Papa and brother Tristan are equally well fleshed-out. Her two younger siblings are about eight or so years behind her, thou
Jennifer Fischer
The target audience for this book is ages 9-12, but I (even as an adult) really enjoyed the story. The main character, Geona, is a female, but I feel that this book would appeal to boys and girls because of the amount of action and adventure. This book is predominantly a horse story, but it does include elements of fantasy, action, and adventure. I appreciate that Genoa faces conflicts that children in the 9-12 age category will relate to including following rules, standing up for their beliefs. ...more
David Bergsland
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fine prequel for a mid-school fantasy series

It looks like this might be a prequel series. That would be good. Mid-school tales are almost always a bit thin, and I understand why. But, this would make a nice day entrance to a YA fantasy series. I hope Vicki goes there soon.

Spiritual level is vague, 2.5 stars
There's a god and his son, but they have no real interaction with story. That's sad but there's no real problem.

I have no problem recommending this book for your children.
Jessiqua Wittman
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have really liked this story as a kid, and it kept my interest even now as an adult. The world it's built in is deeper than most children's books and has lots of its own culture to enjoy. It's a short story, easy to consume in one sitting. The horse-sense tips at the end of the book were informative and fun to read, too. I'm looking forward to reading future installations!
D
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Flashes of Ember

I know that this story was written for children, but as an adult I thoroughly enjoyed it. Flashes of Ember was amazing and intriguing. Geona was a very wise and compassionate 12 year-old. Her love for Ember and her desire to see that Ember was treated right help to make this a story that was unputdownable.
Linda Rainey
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Join us in the story of Geona and Tristan in the mythical land of Eltiria.
We see them adjusting to a new home and way of life.
This a fantasy for young adults and the adventure will keep you engaged
Robin
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this fantasy story for young adults. Well written and very engaging. Some exciting scenes surrounding horses. I highly recommend this story.
Kimberly A.
Oct 23, 2015
Joanne
Apr 03, 2020
Vicki Lucas
Oct 14, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Andrea
Oct 22, 2019
betty campbell
is currently reading it
Dec 22, 2019
Connoisseur and Creator of the most epic books for Christian kids

Tales of Shalock Stables (2 books)
  • Ember's Choice (Tales of Shalock Stables #2)

News & Interviews