Start by marking “The Fall of Neskaya (Darkover, #3; Clingfire, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fall of Neskaya (Darkover, #3; Clingfire, #1)

The Fall of Neskaya (Clingfire #1)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  1,653 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
The Fall of Neskaya, Book One of the Clingfire Trilogy, marks the legendary author's final return to Darkover before her death. Set in the tumultuous era of The Hundred Kingdoms, a terrible time of strife and war, this unique fantasy world is divided into a mutlitude of small belligerent domains vying for power and land. One ambitious and corrupt tyrant will stop at nothin ...more
Published July 2nd 2002 by Daw Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Fall of Neskaya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fall of Neskaya

Valerie
This book is NOT by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It's by Deborah J Ross. The Author's Note at the beginning states that Bradley collaborated in the early stages, and that she offered suggestions and critiques throughout. But the fact is that this book is PROFOUNDLY different to the original conception of Darkover.

For one thing, the Compact was the primary basis for later Darkovan society--and rationalizations for not establishing or adhering to the Compact were always (rightly) given short shrift. If
Jimyanni
Dec 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book was written by Deborah J. Ross in the Darkover world created by Marion Zimmer Bradley; apparently, the idea and some of the early plot concepts came from Ms. Bradley before her death, but the majority of the actual writing was done by Ms. Ross. Nonetheless, it rang true as a Darkover novel; it had the feel of Bradley's writing. I'm given to understand that Ms. Ross had been working with Ms. Bradley for years, and understood her world as well as anyone. It has the added benefit that Ms. ...more
Chuck
Jul 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Marion Zimmer Bradley's 1999 death seems to have had little effect on her literary output. At least once a year, a new title appears in her name, title in her name, comes out. It's always by "Marion Zimmer Bradley and Someboyd Else." In this case, the "Somebody Else" is Deborah Ross, a pretty darned good fantasy author in her own right.

The quality of these 'And Somebody Else" books is quite high. Of course, this isn't a "sharecropper" novel (where one author simply writes in a world created ay a
Mareli
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was another good one. I liked the story very much. I don't understand how Darkover comyn cannot comprehend the danger in weapons made with laran.

I'm happy because (view spoiler) but I'm afraid of what his more dangerous brother could still do. I'm alredy onto the next one.
Kristi Thompson
Mar 10, 2009 rated it did not like it
Hmm. OK, still reasonably amusing. I did not buy the bit at the beginning where Ross wrote about how MZB had told her the story of what was to happen in these books, and I doubt anyone else will. It was quite unnecessary, and rather patronizing: she's dead! Of course she didn't write the damn book!
Tittirossa
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 05_fantasy
La lettura dei romanzi del ciclo Darkovano da quando MZB ha traslocato su un altro pianeta porta con sè sempre una duplice sensazione: da un lato la curiosità per il mondo di Darkover è più forte di qualsiasi disillusione, dall'altro la consapevolezza che fino ad oggi gli "eredi" di MZB non riescono a far rivivere la magica atmosfera che lei sapeva creare.
La Caduta di Neskaya si inserisce in un periodo di per sè molto interessante, e la trama è buona. Si percepisce la mano di MZB nell'ordito, ma
Hilary
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A well-written story, which highlights some of the moral quandaries very clearly, setting the stage for the Compact. During these wars, as families try to defend themselves or solidify defences, Tower workers may find themselves obliged to stand against friends, lovers and family, producing horrifying weapons like clingfire and bonedust.

Both MZB and DR are excellent at setting scenes with laran or the Overworld, making them so vivid I can almost visualize it. (Sometimes I have problems followin
Lavender
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, fall2017
Fantasy at its finest. There is adventure and magic as well as family loyalty and love.
Brian
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ah, a good Ages of Chaos tragedy.

Though, it's not quite either of those. Unlike Stormqueen!, The Fall of Neskaya is sure that the Ages of Chaos were another time, back in the past when things were terrible and everyone fought each other all the time and used terrible laran weapons. Not like these modern days. And I'm sure if you asked the characters what the difference was, they'd be able to split hairs in such a way that there was a difference, but I didn't see it. And while there are certainly
Lee
Oct 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
Lucy Takeda
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I think I may have reached Darkover overload. ( I've read around ten novels in six months.). This one was all right, but some of the descriptions were painfully long, while still being confusing. There are several major characters, and the novel switches points of view numerous times. The fact Tani is willing to go into the Otherworld to find her love is inspiring---but she immediately does what she was told to NOT do: run after someone. You have Tani, whose husband is murdered by an evil laran ...more
Gerda
Jul 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of fantasy novels
Another good novel by..., well I guess most of it by Deborah J. Ross. Marion Zimmer Bradley has been gone for about a decade now and still books are released in her name. She often wrote books with a co-author during her life and if I am to believe them she left a lot of novels at her death that she didn't manage to finish... So the name Marion Zimmer Bradley is still prominently on the books!

This book is the first part of a trilogy, 'the clingfire trilogy'. Unfortunately I don't have part two a
Bron
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Darkover novels are such a wonderful mixture of pre-raphaelite romance and sci fi! This one is an account of Rafael Hastur's efforts to bring some measure of peace and order to a world beset with terrible weapons and a man determined to be a tyrant - King Damien Deslucido. Through it all runs a love story - that of Coryn Leynier and Queen Taniquel of Acosta. In a later story, Taniquel becomes a legendary figure, a warrior Queen who restored the kingdom of Acosta, but here she is just a young ...more
Kathrin
I read some books of the Darkover series years before but since I hardly remember them I started to read the series from the beginning again. However, this one kind of stuck in my mind after reading it for the first time.

I still tend to like the more fantasy themed books of the series more than others and this one combined my favorite topics. The work in the towers and their involvement in the wars were quite interesting.

However, especially the last part of the book is highly themed on a love s
Marcello Tarot
Ma quale trilogia?

Con gli altri due libri della “trilogia” (le virgolette sono quanto mai d’obbligo) questo ha legami tenui a dir molto. Forse, se fosse stato presentato come un libro a sé stante, avrebbe potuto essere parzialmente (e sottolineo “parzialmente”) apprezzato; ma spacciato come parte di una trilogia fa solo sentire truffati. Pecca oltre modo grave, poi, è la totale mancanza di motivazione per certi atti compiuti all’inizio del romanzo da parte del “cattivo” di turno. Nel complesso,
Lys
Jan 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, paper-book
Aspettando che la Longanesi si decida a pubblicare anche gli altri due romanzi della Clingfire Trilogy, La Caduta di Neskaya è consigliatissimo a chiunque ami Darkover.
Certo, la mano della Bradley si fa sempre meno visibile, ma la Ross è riuscita a creare un buon racconto.
Manca qualcosa, quel qualcosa in più che solo Marion probabilmente sarebbe riuscita a dare, ma le atmosfere di questo libro sono indubbiamente quelle Darkovane che abbiamo imparato ad amare.
Tanto angst, tanto romance, un'intere
Vickey Foggin
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I've read 2 Darkover books written by MZB solo and now one inspired by MZB and written Deborah J Ross. Deborah J Ross is the better writer. This is an action-packed story of a strong queen trying to save her country and son from invaders and a love story between the queen and a good man she meets along the way. Super evil villains, some great allies and heart-wrenching battles made this a very satisfying fantasy story.
Joy
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Marion Zimmer Bradley wrote this shortly after her death, in 2002, and the parallels to contemporary issues are obvious--the invading dictator-wannabe using weapons of mass destruction while lying to the UN weapons inspectors Comyn Council; there's also a charming love story here, and the story of a queen fighting for her and her child's kingdom...and you know Darkover is always fun to read during what seems to be an interminable winter. I think I'll go eat some nuts and honey now.
Macjest
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Apparently I had read this book at some time in the past but I didn't remember any details during this reread. This book was written by MZB's collaborator, and while she is quite good, there is definitely not the same flavor. And, frankly, I think the book could have used some editing to tighten the narrative a bit. Still, I'm glad that Bradley's estate is in good hands.
Aug 04, 2012 added it
Is it romanticism or laziness that leads authors to "The Only Person Who Is Attuned Enough to You to Rescue You is the Hawt One You Spent a Week With Once" scenario? Not the people trained in that kind of work whom he'd lived with and loved for years, not a family member, not a close friend, not a lover... only Her.
Nicole Diamond
Nov 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
If it has one star I liked it a lot
If it has two stars I liked it a lot and would recommend it
If it has three stars I really really liked it a lot
If it has four stars I insist you read it
If it has five stars it was life changing
Firecat
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a decent read and I'll read the other two books in the trilogy, but it's not something I'm likely to read again. I personally prefer Ms Bradley's Avalon novels. The Darkover ones just aren't as engaging to me.
Nicole Simon
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: darkover
Of the clingfire triology this one is at least a bit MZB style; if you are in desparate need of an additional fix, stop latest after reading this and do yourself a favor and check with previews first if you can stand the way it is written.
Cecilyn
Jul 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, magic, family
I can't say that I enjoyed this book; I think the writing style is just not for me. I couldn't really get into the characters, which will really ruin a book for me, regardless of the plot or setting. A real bummer, I was hoping I'd like it, because I've like a few of her other books.
Maddalenah
Sep 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Sinceri complimenti a Deborah J. Ross, che ha saputo scrivere un romanzo talmente darkovano che quasi si potrebbe credere che l'ha scritto veramente Marion.
Un romanzo avvincente, non vedo l'ora di leggere gli altri due volumi della trilogia!
Katie Shepherd
Jun 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
It seemed really interesting at the beginning, but the plot turned out to be not so creative after all.
Julie
May 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
I think I was a bit too old for this book.
Sara Biondi
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love the Darkover series, and this book has not disappointed me...very entertaining and well written! I loved every character.
Adrian Smith
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
OK, moving country, needed some comfort reading. Mum is a big fan.
Rochelle K.
I can't really mark this as read, though I tried to read it...I really did. Maybe it just wasn't the right timing. Might try again at a different point in time. Just couldn't get into the story.
  • Marion Zimmer Bradley's Sword and Sorceress XXI
  • Sword and Sorceress 22
  • The Quarters Novels: Volume II (Omnibus: No Quarter / The Quartered Sea)
  • Maelstrom
  • Hidden in Sight (Web Shifters, # 3)
  • The Snares of Ibex
  • After Long Silence
  • Return to Avalon
  • Way of the Pilgrim
  • World's End (The Snow Queen Cycle, #2)
  • Shon'jir (The Faded Sun, #2)
  • Derelict
  • Roger Zelazny's Shadows of Amber (Amber)
Marion Eleanor Zimmer Bradley was an American author of fantasy novels such as The Mists of Avalon and the Darkover series, often with a feminist outlook.

Bradley's first published novel-length work was Falcons of Narabedla, first published in the May 1957 issue of Other Worlds. When she was a child, Bradley stated that she enjoyed reading adventure fantasy authors such as Henry Kuttner, Edmond Ham
More about Marion Zimmer Bradley

Clingfire (3 books)
  • Zandru's Forge (Darkover, #4; Clingfire, #2)
  • A Flame in Hali (Darkover: Chronological, #8; Publication, #37; Clingfire, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • Long May She Reign
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 1
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Testing (The Testing, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #1)
  • Dawn (Xenogenesis, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Black Company (The Chronicle of the Black Company, #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • City of Stairs (The Divine Cities, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bannerless (The Bannerless Saga)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire, #1)
  • Sabriel (Abhorsen, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)