Start by marking “The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)

The Light of All That Falls

(The Licanius Trilogy #3)

The Light of All That Falls concludes the epic adventure that began in The Shadow of What Was Lost, the acclaimed fantasy blockbuster from James Islington.

The Boundary is whole once again, but it may be too late.

Banes now stalk Andarra, while in Ilin Illan, the political machinations of a generation come to a head as Wirr's newfound ability forces his family's old enemies
Published December 12th 2019 by Orbit (first published December 10th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Light of All That Falls, please sign up.
Christopher Harju Thanks for pointing it out. I've changed the publication date here on Goodreads to reflect the official publication date taken from http://www.jamesis…moreThanks for pointing it out. I've changed the publication date here on Goodreads to reflect the official publication date taken from http://www.jamesislington.com/upcomin...
(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jennifer Davidson
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)
Petrik
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Epic fantasy and Sanderson's Cosmere fans
ARC provided by the publisher—Orbit—in exchange for an honest review.

The Light of All That Falls is an absolute marvel, a prodigious finishing touch to an ingeniously plotted series.

Here’s a little statistic to give you an idea of how much I loved this book and series. If you look at my Goodreads profile, you can take a look at my list of favorite authors. Inside this list are authors who have written three or more books—that I’ve read, of course—to be included in my “favorites” shelf. Before t
James Tivendale
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I have been looking forward to reading The Light of All That Falls ever since I finished An Echo of Things To Come and have been counting down the days until I could return to the world of Davian, Caeden, Asha and Wirr. I won’t go into too much detail here regarding the actual story as I don’t wish to spoil anything for people who haven’t started the series yet.

“Remember that your past does not define you—no matter the consequences,” he said gently. “Choice is meaningless without consequences,
Nick Borrelli
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Before I begin my review, I'd first like to mention how absolutely thrilled I was to finally have this book in my hands. The Licanius Trilogy is one of my top 10 all-time fantasy series and in my opinion is a masterwork that stands out among the majority of its peers. I eagerly awaited the release of this book for over two years and when I finally finished reading it, I sat and stared into space to process the amazingness of what I just absorbed. But enough about that, let's get to my review sha ...more
Bradley
Wow.

I'm speechless.

Okay, maybe not that speechless, but that doesn't mean I wasn't blown away by this final book in the Licanius Trilogy.

I think I've said this before, but it bears repeating: This is one of THE best Epic Fantasies ever written. I compare it to Brandon Sanderson and Brent Weeks in my head and in some ways it succeeds better where those do not. It's tighter, for one. These are three thick books that cram a hell of a lot of emotional and action-filled impact inside its pages.

Each
TS Chan
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ARC provided by the publisher—Orbit—in exchange for an honest review.

A breathtakingly audacious masterpiece of epic fantasy, The Light of All That Falls is an emotionally satisfying and flawless conclusion to the phenomenal Licanius Trilogy.

I am utterly astounded and in awe. The Licanius Trilogy is one of the most incredible trilogies I've ever had the pleasure of reading, and I think that James Islington is an extraordinarily gifted epic fantasy writer. I almost couldn't believe that this was a
Choko
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 4.44 ***

"...“Because hurting someone is not teaching them a lesson, Davian. As you pointed out earlier-we can hate what they do, but we should never hate them." He shifted. " And I'm not 'better' than you. That's not how this works. Believing in El, trying to follow His rules, doesn't make you in some way superior. If anything, it makes you more aware that none of us can claim to be truly good. That's why forgiveness is so important." He saw Davian's dubious expression and shook his head.
Mayim de Vries
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
“Nothing is truly beautiful, until it can be lost.”

You know the story: the boy gets the sword, the boy loses the sword, the boy wins the sword back. This book is about the third part of the business. I liked nearly everything except for the time travel. It would not be a problem if not for the fact that everything in the series rides on this precise concept. This, and the fact that travelling through time cannot alter the events—which basically renders the whole time-travelling a little bit mea
Clare S-B
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, that trilogy was amazing! The ending got everything perfect and I couldn't be happier. Amazing characters and even though there is all this time travel it makes sense and can be followed. The whole story is so suspenseful and page turning and epic! I'll be looking forward to anything else James Islington writes in the future. The last book can really make or break a trilogy and this one made The Licanius Trilogy better!
Deborah Obida
Truth can be a burden, but secrets are poison.

That was awesome. I'm glad I finally finished the series although I'll miss the characters. I need a novella in this world so badly, the whole thing with Nia cannot just end like that. Don't let the above comment scare you, the author tied all loose ends, I just want more.

“It’s not enough to fight for the right side. You have to figure out how to fight the right way, too. If winning is truly all that matters, then we’ve lost sight of what’s ac
Robin (Bridge Four)
4.25 You Can't Change the Past Stars

The best and worst things about trilogies are they are done in three books. The Licanius Trilogy had pretty long books but still there are only three and this was a solid conclusion to the story that did and didn’t go as I expected. The tale has come full circle and I will say it was a satisfying ending. Not everything was answered but most was leaving just enough space for a spin off perhaps.
“Evil men rarely convince others to their side by asking the
Ivana Jacobsen
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FINALLY!!! Pre-ordered and now we wait :)

What kind of a perverse creature you have to be to actually review a book that hasn't been published yet??!! Shame on you! Some of us out there have a rule against starting a series before they are finished. The reason I'm using the app is to have a quick overview before I start reading something. But no, some wannabe smart asses actually had to review it before its published and get me on the wrong track. Thank you so much...
THE BIBLIOPHILE (Rituranjan)
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What an incredible epic conclusion to the trilogy! This is undoubtedly the best book out of all the three. Islington brought things to an end in a complicated pattern of concentric circles that's dizzying in ingenious plotting and execution of the narrative. And, the epilogue, o god! It's just freaking brilliant, and it had my jaw dropping in astonishment. This last book is so masterfully written, be it in the poignant depth of the epic story, the complexity of the world and its characters, ...more
Audrey
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The licanius trilogy is now definitely one of the most Incredible saga I ever read.

Words can’t describe the masterpiece this saga is. The author had say that he had undertaken this trilogy after reading the stormlight archives but in a way only a smith can forge his own swords after learning from his master James Islington forged his own sword and call it Licanius.
When someone read the plot of the first book it may be deceiving to believe that this trilogy will become an other regular saga but
Books with Brittany
4.75 rounded up I think.
I’m not ready for this to be over
Flying Monkey
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2020
5 Stars!

Excellent conclusion to the series. I Loved it! So many writers struggle with a conclusion to a series. Yet James Islington pulled it off with ease. Probably the best conclusion of any series I've read. This one is definitely going on my favorites list.
Literary Han
I read this 800 page book in 4 days and I feel like a reading QUEEN.

An absolutely fantastic end to an awe-inspiring trilogy. I can not recommend this series enough.

I must admit, though, that it is a very complex story with lots of characters (some of which have more than one name). However there is a glossary and character index in the book to help.

The epilogue had me crying, twice.

I am amazed at this series

A well deserved 5 stars
Milda Page Runner
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! that ending! *mind blown*

The beginning is the end, and the end is the beginning.
(yes, it's from the Dark but it really fits here too)
Calvin Park
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Light of All that Falls is the beautiful, action packed conclusion to James Islington’s Licanius Trilogy. The narrative picks up roughly a year after the conclusion of An Echo of Things to Come and, while it pauses at a few points, doesn’t really let up until the final pages. This is fresh epic fantasy in the vein of the Wheel of Time. There is plenty for fans of complex world building to enjoy, as well as a deep magic system that plays a central role in the plot, political factions aplenty, ...more
Emily
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had this in my hands today for a few brief moments, until the store realized the book wasn't supposed to be out yet and pulled them from the shelf...four more days...
Izzie
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy, arcs
I was wavering between 4 and 5 stars but the ending won me over. All the stars! I can't wait to see what more Islington has to offer us, especially with such an accomplished debut series.
Jordan
I have no words. This was... honestly, perfect. I love this trilogy so much and it's still so underrated.
I'm so satisfied and content with this ending, but I'm simultaneously devastated that this trilogy is over. There's some good news from the author at the end, but I still feel so bittersweet that the trilogy is over. If you've been thinking of reading this series (or even if you haven't), please do! It's such an epic journey and it's absolutely worth the huge page counts.

Find this review at
Hamster
Book one was great.
Book two, mind-blowing.
Book three... What the Blue F*@#????

At one point a character thinks, "This defense was nothing more than a stalling tactic." That statement encapsulates this entire train-wreck of a book. The ONLY good thing about this addition to the series was the epilogue. EVERYTHING else was awful, nonsensical filler.

Let's start with what I liked about the series in general. (I feel I owe the author that much.)

I loved that he made time unchangeable. No matter what t
Stefano G.
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WOT Fans, Sanderson Fans!
***5+/5 Stars***!!!!
Brilliant, incredible!!! What a masterpiece final book! I cannot believe James Islington made all of those unanswered questions magically work, what a mastermind… that was so amazing! A series to re-read and re-read and savor again and again. Incredible! I’m glad that there may be some more stories in this world I’m going to miss Davian, Asha and Caeden!

Loved all storylines, except Wirr’s but it didn’t affect my enjoyment that much! The time in Zvaeler was incredible and he
Delaney Felix
Review for The Light of All That Falls by James Islington

Thank you so much to Orbit for sending me a copy of this to read and review! All opinions are my own.

Trigger Warnings (TW): For violence, murder, cutting/mutilation, warfare. Stay safe, friends!

Summary:
“The Light of All that Falls concludes the epic adventure that began in The Shadow of What Was Lost, the acclaimed fantasy blockbuster from James Islington.

The Boundary is whole once again, but it may be too late.
Banes now stalk Anda
Timelord Iain
Found this to be largely a disappointment... best moments were confirmations of fan theories... felt like the epilogue saved it... left me wishing the epilogue was a larger chunk of the book...
Hollie
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this series. Although it was sad to have it come to conclusion, the conclusion was well done. Thanks for the twists and turns Mr. Islington!
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Wow...

I need some time to process. Wow.
Joel
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5/5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

"Evil men rarely convince others to their side by asking them to perform dark deeds for no good reason. They will always start with the lightest shade of gray. They so often use what seems like a good cause."

(*Minor Spoilers Ahead)

It is by far one of the best books I've had the privilege of reading. This book is going into my 'Hall of Fame' for all times. The characters and the lessons I've learned are going stay with me till the end of time. I can say confidently that
Vagabond of Letters, DLitt
5/5. Absolutely brilliant. This is the 'epic' of epic fantasy. There has been a slew of top-in-show novels recently. Alternately, the fact that I'm only reading continuing series and not utter gender-agenda'd postmaterial leftist - but new - shit like *Priory of the Orange Tree* means I'm just selecting the best of the best for reading in the first place. In either case, 1. My average review is going up, but this is not grade inflation; and 2. A sharply increasing polarization in literature, bot ...more
Janhavi
I can’t believe I’m done with this series! Now I just want to go back and re-read all the books! I loved this trilogy so much, and could not have asked for a more satisfying conclusion. Everything was explained so well, and the magic system of the story continues to be fascinating. I think this has also got some of the most relatable villains I’ve ever read in fantasy. The best parts though were the themes. This is one of my favorite stories now because the concepts it explored, like fate and fr ...more

• Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • Age of Death (The Legends of the First Empire, #5)
  • A Time of Courage (Of Blood and Bone, #3)
  • Age of Empyre (The Legends of the First Empire, #6)
  • The High King's Tomb (Green Rider, #3)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • The Black Song (Raven's Blade, #2)
  • Bright Steel (Masters & Mages, #3)
  • The Skull Throne (Demon Cycle, #4)
  • Legends of Ahn (King's Dark Tidings, #3)
  • Selling the Invisible: A Field Guide to Modern Marketing
  • The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2)
  • The Shadow King (The Raveling, #3)
  • The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1)
  • The Daylight War (Demon Cycle, #3)
  • The Wolf's Call (Raven's Blade #1)
  • The Dating Charade
James Islington was born and raised in southern Victoria, Australia. His influences growing up were the stories of Raymond E. Feist and Robert Jordan, but it wasn't until later, when he read Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series - followed soon after by Patrick Rothfuss' Name of the Wind - that he was finally inspired to sit down and write something of his own. He now lives with his wife and daughte ...more

The Licanius Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Shadow of What Was Lost (The Licanius Trilogy, #1)
  • An Echo of Things to Come (The Licanius Trilogy, #2)

Articles featuring this book

Fall is in the air, which means it's time to cozy up with some of the biggest books your fellow readers can't wait to get...
“Faithful people suffer and evil people prosper all the time [...]. Besides, if our actions are driven only by reward or punishment--eternal or otherwise--then they are motivated by greed and selfishness, not faith or love. That is where so many people go wrong, even those who say they believe [...]. They obey because the think it will make their *lives* better, rather than *themselves*. And that is very much the wrong reason.” 10 likes
“The old saying is wrong, you know--a common enemy does not a friendship make. You can only ever be as good as the people you are willing to fight beside. [...] Alliances made from convenience only ever weaken a cause.” 3 likes