Start by marking “Tyrannosaurus Rex Versus the Corduroy Kid” as Want to Read:
Tyrannosaurus Rex Versus the Corduroy Kid

Tyrannosaurus Rex Versus the Corduroy Kid

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  141 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
From one of the most important British poets at work today comes a brilliant new collection that meditates on human battles past and present, on youth and age, on monsters and underdogs, on the life of nations and the individual heart.

In Tyrannosaurus Rex Versus the Corduroy Kid, we meet a writer who speaks naturally, and with frankness and restraint, for his culture. Armi
Published September 2nd 2008 by Knopf (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Tyrannosaurus Rex Versus the Corduroy Kid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tyrannosaurus Rex Versus the Corduroy Kid

Leisha Wharfield
Feb 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite parts are excerpts of his translations of Homer's Odyssey and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. He smooths out & modulates the classics, lending them an easy contemporary diction. I could read his translations all day. Some of his poetic tricks throw me off (a poem of 40 extremely short stanzas, each numbered with Roman numerals), but I love his drive to get it right (5 poems in a row, each named "Sympathy") and his playful experiments ("Hand-Washing Technique--Government Guidelin ...more
Adrian
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poems
Another slice of thoughtful Northern masculinity. My favourite line in this one: "The planets queue up to take the piss - especially the big ones made of inhospitable gas."
Nancy
Aug 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Metered and rhymed just so.
Not so much that your chest aches from being too-closed in, but just enough so you feel put in a different place.
These poems are almost too tidy for me, with their sometimes very obvious beginnings, middles, and ends. Then again, lots happens inside that frame -- some very untidy things, such as the pain of sons parting from fathers, and the pitch-perfect blood and guts of mythic and ancient war.

(I do have a question -- the refrain in "You're Beautiful" -- why is it t
Ann Michael
Oct 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I liked The Shout better all around (the title poem is wonderful). This book is fascinating for its dialect, which I admit has me confused in a few places, particularly the Sympathy poems--though I really like those poems. The other thing that makes this collection less "amazing" than The Shout is that it seems rather UNcollected...a bit disjointed, little of this, little of that...

Overall, though, I like his work. It shows (as does some other poets' work, I am thinking of Kim Addonizio and such
Chris Schaeffer
Jan 05, 2011 rated it liked it
I heard Armitage at Dodge in 2008 and loved his energy. I'd been keeping an eye out for a used copy of this book to come my way since then. I think maybe I built him up too much in the act of anticipation, because this book felt oddly slack, as a whole. Too many poems that are small glib gestures and not much more, but what works really does work very well.
Phillip
Aug 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I wanted to like this collection more than I did. Some of the poems I really enjoyed. Some I saw the humor, wit, and cleverness. Others didn't really do anything for me. And many of the poems that didn't really work for me were clustered near the beginning of the book, so it didn't start out on the strongest foot for me.
Jonathan Gill
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
His best collection imho
John
My favorite poet. Period. Check out any and all of his collections you can get your hands on. Poetry's answer to Billy Bragg.
Santino Prinzi
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant poetry and possibly the first book I have ever required a mirror in order to read it in full.
Matt
Mar 02, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I occasionally read poetry when I see a slim volume on the new books shelf at the library. This fit the pattern. I liked it.
MrGibson
Oct 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book of poetry up today, read the first lines of a poem opened up at random and laughed. Buying it then become a delightful formality.
BoltonEnglish
'You're Beautiful' sticks in my head. Writing that understands beauty beyond the proscribed.
Christopher
Feb 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Smart, but not too smart. Best when pushing form out of ordinary, as in the title poem.
Debbie Mortimer
Not usually a reader of poetry but the title drew me towards this book.

Enjoyable collection.
Paolo
rated it did not like it
Mar 24, 2010
Mar 11, 2011
Annji
Jan 29, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Simon Armitage, whose The Shout was a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award, has published ten volumes of poetry and has received numerous honors for his work. He lives in England.

Armitage's poetry collections include Book of Matches (1993) and The Dead Sea Poems (1995). He has written two novels, Little Green Man (2001) and The White Stuff (2004), as well as All Points North (1998),
More about Simon Armitage...
“I'm on page 12 of 80 of Tyrannosaurus Rex Versus: Waves were never the tide but ripples, spawned by moon-coloured ships of war.” 0 likes
“Brace and be brisk,
commoner, carry your heart like an egg
on a spoon, be fleet through the concourse, primed
for that point in time when the world goes bust”
0 likes