Start by marking “In the Shadows (Metahuman Files, #3)” as Want to Read:
In the Shadows (Metahuman Files, #3)

In the Shadows

(Metahuman Files #3)

Take a chance.

Staff Sergeant Alexei Dvorkin doesn’t trust easily, and he most certainly doesn’t trust spies. He’ll work with them if ordered to, but that doesn’t mean he has to like it. Except Agent Sean Delaney is proving to be the exception to the rule. There’s something about Sean that gets under Alexei’s skin and won’t let go. Alexei would be lying if he said he wasn
Published August 22nd 2017

Start your review of In the Shadows (Metahuman Files, #3)
Shile
Reread via Audio June 2019

Greg deserves an Oscar, his voice is AMAZING.

Eargasm.

*************************************

5+++++++ stars

description

Alexei was the sort of man who liked to feel a connection beyond the physical with the men and women he partnered up with. Lust was all well and good, but Alexei always ended up wanting more, knowing that he couldn’t risk it. It used to be because of his position with Strike Force, then keeping the fact he was a metahuman a secret. Now it was his role as an MDF
Wendy
5-stars.gif (842×160)

I have been very eagerly waiting to get my hands on this book !! I fell in love with Alexei in book 1 and so when I found out he was getting his own story, I was over the moon happy ;)

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor so excited bumblebee + gif

Let me start out by saying that these books can not be read as stand-alones. This is a series with a continuing storyline so you need to start with book 1. No worries though, because book 1 and 2 are just as awesome !

tumblr_n09zpjNzAv1s89mq8o3_250.gif (245×196)

This book, just like the others, takes place in the future and I won't go into all the
Lyn
Audio - 5+++ Greg + Russian accent = auditory bliss
Story - 5++++

My favorite of the series because....ALEXEI is da man!!

That's it!

*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!

I really love this series. I was super excited to get Alexei's book, but at the same time I wanted more of Kyle and Jamie. :)

Positives:
--great characters (main and secondary). I love the whole MDF team.
--plenty of action (suspense wise and between the sheets) - though I will say there was less steam (but still plenty) in this one, I thought, than the other books in the series.
--good build-up and chemistry between the MCs. Some good banter too.

Not Quite Positives:
--maybe a little
Virginia Cavanillas
Yes! The Metahuman Alpha Team is back! And they are on fire! (Literally)

This is pure entertainment. A fast paced story, full of action, wonderful dialogues and a hot couple driving the plot.
Probably "fast paced" is not the expression to describe In the Shadows . We could say the frantic tempo (and the visual way Hailey Turner writes) gives the reader the impression of being watching a movie. A sci-fi film performed by hot superheroes with a great sense of humor.

I guess the book could be
Simone
What happens when two stubborn hotheads collide?
Cool fire effect, looks like fire bender stuff. #avatar

Sparks will fly...

Okay, in Sean's and Alexei's case it is more like a blaze, but I did not expect anything less after they encountered each other in the last book and I could not get my grabby hands fast enough on their story.

Months have passed since ex-CIA Agent Sean Delaney -now working for the intelligence division of the Metahuman Defense Force- was assigned to Alpha Team for a mission and although this was a one-off so far, he and Alexei
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
I have to get this off my chest. WHEN ARE THEY GONNA GET THE BADDIES?!?!?!??!?!

Well, I feel better now.

I tip my hat to you, Hailey Turner.

You're playing the long game with these elusive baddies. I'll play along for two reasons: (a) I like these people and (b) this series is full of action-packed goodness.

In the Shadows is focused on Alexei and former CIA agent Sean. They had some *eyeballs* happening in the prior book and here is where Alexei makes his move.

Alexei is hot in more than one sense
Barbara➰
So, I'm not going to lie. At 30% I was wondering where the Alexei and Sean were that everyone was telling me about. I just didn't feel any chemistry between them. I even told Anne, that I felt like Alexei could take or leave Sean. BUT, BUT, BUT, then just a few pages later, it happened. There they are! OMG I'm in love with these two. I missed the tenderness with Jamie and Kyle in their first book. Don't get me wrong, they were hot AF and I love two strong men like that going at it. But I also ...more
Christelle
WHOA : saying I had a BLAST reading this one is the understatement of the year.
My rating reflects the enjoyment I had reading a book, either because it was emotional, or I was totally immersed in the story or because I had a lot of fun reading it. This one falls in the latest category. Why ?

First, not too many expectations, so no disappointment. I’ve read the first 2 books of the series and they were OK for me, but not more. I kept reading this series for the entertaining futuristic world full
Denise H.
*** Earth; 2285. *** A Fabulous new world.
Metahumans, those with special powers, enhancements that make them valuable warriors.
* Russian Alexei, assigned to MDF, Metahuman Defense Force,

a Marine with pyrotechnic abilities is called "Inferno." Loved his accent !
* Sean, former CIA, now with the MDF,

code name "Wraith" because he can phase through walls, etc.

On Sean's mission, he was roughed up and held prisoner. Alexei acting as his boss, came with the MDF to extract Sean and the other two
Heather the Queen of (Smut)Books

I didn't really like this one as much as the other two. Too much info dumping on the what, who, why, where stuff. I admit I skimmed a little *ducks*. More action less talking about the action, please. I completely understood why the team couldn't wait to get out the briefings. But when Sean and Alexei were together, they were magic. I love how once Alexei decided he wanted Sean, he was all in. The sexy times aren't overflowing in this one (no lie-I missed it) but Alexei has a hardcore
Parvathy
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay-book-reviews
5 Stars!

In the Shadows is the phenomenally crafted story in the Metahuman Files series and is about Alexei and Sean. The book had intense action sequences, all the familiar faces, continuing story arc and an enthralling love story.

Alexei and Sean are familiar faces to all those who have read the series. This book tells us the story from their POV and it was nothing short of marvelous. I loved everything about this book. The way the author has developed their bond and relationship was the best.
Ariana
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another fabulous instalment in this series!
If you had told me (before I read Hailey Turner) that I would go all gaga for a bunch of metahumans I might have thrown you a seriously bewildered look.

The fact is – I love those guys and girls, their superpowers, camaraderie and banter. But most of all they are a tight knit group of people who care about each other, who are family and have each other’s backs in all situations. And let’s face it – having powers is just supercool and so much fun!

Sean
fleurette
This whole series is getting better and better with every book.

I really like Kyle and Jamie, but I was truly waiting for Alexei and Sean story. And I’m not disappointed, they make a wonderful couple. They are both very interesting characters on their own but together they are exceptional. I really like the dynamics in their relationship. Sean looks like a strong character, it’s nice to see how he interacts with Alexei. And I really like how caring and somehow sweet is Alexei. He surprised me.
Eugenia
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-ku, paranormal, mm
Tons of action!

This third book of the Metahuman Files focuses on Alexei and Sean. Sean is the ex-CIA operative, now MDF spy. The distrust present between the two in the previous book is completely gone here. Although they have to play the lovers role again for a case their working on, they don't pretend for long. The two make a good pair, both in the field and in bed.

The MDF is still tracking SPLICE traffickers and now have a new player in the game in the guise of the CIA. There's lots of
I~❤️~Books
5 Stars
There really isn’t much to say since it's already been said.
I loved this book...and I Love this series!
~Volha~
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I seem to be in minority here. Everybody loved it. Don't get me wrong, I liked this book too. The action, the adventure was all there and the ending was simply epic and I couldn't tear myself away - it was that good.

But the beginning of the book or almost first half of it was a little slow for me plus I could not even imagine Alexei and Sean together. I didn't feel the spark. Their inner thoughts indicated no attraction or that they even liked each other that much. The way Sean cringed when
❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
In the Shadows 4 Stars

Sean, he is so my fav!! The story. I am not big on the couple matching , but, the storyline I love.

Think Justice League Sci fi Driven Story.

Add, Rated R. And, you get this. If you like that in your books, than you might like this. I do, and I did. The blueprint for this sci fi ( structure of the book) is great. It has everything I love in a book.

This book was so my favorite! It was so vibrant.

With Love & War. “War Was In Color” The New World Year 2285

The execution
haletostilinski
4.5 stars!

I really enjoyed this third installment. Which, while we have a different couple in this than the first two, cannot be read as a standalone because the first two are needed to understand what is happening in this and what has happened with Alexei and Sean prior to this book.

Overall I really liked this because it was pretty solid, Alexei and Sean had great chemistry - and hot af sex - and the plot, after a slow start for me, really picked up and got exciting and crazy and
SoCalBookReviews
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS SERIES...

05/07/19 - Update to Review after listening to Audio...

Every book just gets better and better. As much as I love Jamie and Kyle (I'm totally, completely In Love with Kyle) I absolutely Adore Alexi and Sean after this book. I really enjoyed seeing the two of them together. They have some seriously smoking Hot chemistry together that just radiates off the pages of this book. And both their backstories are great to hear, you really feel for both of them and what they have to
Alex
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite, military, sci-fi
description

Action, So much action.
Love. So much Love.
Friendship that really is family. So much of that too.
And fucking badass female secondary characters that definitely deserve their own book!!!!

This series is so fresh!!! I'm not stopping until the end!
Cadiva
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just as brilliant as the first two - now I need book 4!

This series is absolutely brilliant. I've said it before, but it is difficult to write good sci-fi with metahumans and just not have them be so powerful they can instantly diffuse any situation.

Hailey has got the balance between having her diverse bunch of powerful people be able to neutralise threats and deal with the bad guys but still have an inherent feeling of danger which makes your heart race just a tiny bit while reading.

In this one
Santy
I just love this series! This book was just as good the second time round!

I daresay this is now my favourite of the lot!

This is simply because the emotional connection between Alexei and Sean felt much more real than that between Kyle and Jamie's in the first 2 books, though those were hot as hell regardless. ;).

That, coupled with the action-packed, exciting & gripping nature of the book from beginning to end, I couldn't put this down once I began. The writing, pacing & characterization
Josy
This was an awesome and very entertaining BR with my sweet Christelle and Simone acting as the best stalker ever :)

I was looking forward to Alexei's book since I started this series and I'm so happy that it didn't disappoint. I really loved everything about this book and I can't wait to read the next one in the series
⚣Michaelle⚣
Audio Rating 16Aug2019: 4.5 Stars

...because, again, Greg is amazing.

Original Rating 28Nov2017: 4.3 Stars
Natalia
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nazanin ex-Profile
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These two were perfect! ...more
Caz
I've given this an A+ for narration and a B+ for content at AudioGals, so that's a bit above 4.5 stars and I've rounded up.

In the Shadowsis book three in Hailey Turner’sMetahuman Filesseries of military/sci-fi/suspense novels which features an elite, tight-knit unit of men and women who acquired very unique powers following their exposure to Splice, a deadly chemical that kills almost all who come into contact with it. Those not killed by the chemical are changed at DNA level and become
Waleska 'Wally'
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
UPDATE : Audio review 9/10/2019
Greg Boudreaux narration was exhilarating and sexy . In other words , perfect. 5 stars for his performance.

Action packed

With , In the Shadows , Hailey Turner kicks her Metahuman Files Series up a notch! And I am fully invested in reading it.

Her world building continues expanding with detailed descriptions , layered character development and interactions. Compelling and entertaining subplots . Believable RL world situations and enough action, explosions and out of
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
BR Josy and Christelle 311 7 Aug 29, 2017 11:12AM

• Kept in the Dark (Locke and Keyes Agency, #1)
  • Mastering the Flames (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #4)
  • Reunion (Ace's Wild #7)
  • The Prince and His Bedeviled Bodyguard (Paranormal Princes #1)
  • Jon's Crazy Head-Boppin' Mystery (Jon's Mysteries, #2)
  • Tallowwood
  • NoX
  • Prince of Killers (Fog City, #1)
  • The Necromancer's Reckoning (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #3)
  • Rushing In (Ace's Wild, #3)
  • Final Lover (Exit Strategy #3)
  • King Slayer (Fog City, #2)
  • Claiming Marcus (Lords of Discord, #1)
  • Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • Diamond in the Rough (Four Kings Security, #4)
  • Ground Zero (Zero Hour #1)
  • Knight's Fire (Scales of Honor #1)
Hailey Turner is big city girl who spoils her cats rotten and has a demanding day job that she loves, but not as much as she loves writing. She’s been writing since she was a young child and enjoys reading almost as much as creating a new story. Hailey loves stories with lots of action, gritty relationships, and an eventual HEA that satisfies the heart.

You can keep up with Hailey's future

Metahuman Files (5 books)
  • In the Wreckage (Metahuman Files, #1)
  • In the Ruins (Metahuman Files, #2)
  • In the Blood (Metahuman Files, #4)
  • In the Requiem (Metahuman Files, #5)