Start by marking “Hi-Fi Fight Club #1” as Want to Read:
Hi-Fi Fight Club #1

Hi-Fi Fight Club #1

(Hi-Fi Fight Club #1)

Film and TV director Carly Usdin (Suicide Kale, RuPaul's Drag Race) teams up with breakout artist Nina Vakueva for a new series that’s music to our ears! New Jersey, 1998. Chris has just started the teen dream job: working at Vinyl Mayhem, the local record store. She's prepared to deal with anything—misogynistic metalheads, grunge wannabes, even a crush on her wicked cute ...more
Published August 23rd 2017 by BOOM! - BOOM! Box

To ask other readers questions about Hi-Fi Fight Club #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hi-Fi Fight Club #1

Nat
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I found this girl-power comic at the back of Misfit City #2 nearly two months ago and was immediately intrigued by the beautiful cover and premise of “a music-infused, action-adventure series that takes rock ’n’ roll fandom out of the record store and into the streets.”

Hi-Fi Fight Club #1 1-- bookspoils
New Jersey, 1998. Chris has just started the teen dream job: working at Vinyl Mayhem, the local record store. She's prepared to deal with anything-misogynistic metalheads, grunge wannabes, even a crush on her wicked cute co-work
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Vinyl, kickass characters and gorgeous illustrations? Stop by this comic ASAP! The main character Chris takes up a job at the local records store and discovers that a famous band member has gone missing and needs to be located fast. Also, Chris identifies herself as Queer and there is LGBTQIA+ representation that made me very excited. It was a little short for me personally but keen to see where the storyline goes next! Quite nostalgic and kick-ass all female cast.
Tiferet
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The cutest baby lesbians imaginable, flavoured with the 90s nostalgia.
Chelsea
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a really great start! It gave me a great feel of the world and the characters. Love the art, as well! Can't wait to see what happens next!
Anna Banana
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f
Ok this is HELLA CUTE!

I really, REALLY love the cover and once I found out just how diverse this comic was, it was honestly a no-brainer.

THIS IS ABOUT AN ALL GIRLS FIGHT CLUB!

SIGN ME THE HECK UP!

We don't learn too much in this first part but it introduces us to the characters and this new world very well. Everyone seems so cool! I already wish I could be a part of that world and be friends with these amazing women and I've only read 29 pages of the comic so far!

Alright, I'm moving on to the
Alexa
This was literally the most adorable thing I have ever read in my entire life? The art style is so good, the cast is all-girl, the character designs are so good, the main girl is queer... I need the full thing immediately.
Kim
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this SO SO much! Cute, fun and oozing with girl power. The art is also pretty rad. I'm not much of a muso but I highly suggest this because it's not what it seems :)
Maggie
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic_novel, scribd
Like the art style a lot, still don't know much about the story.
Want to read more.
Xara  Kozaki
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really good first issue!
Jessica
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So good! So cute, and full of fun characters that are actually diverse. I'm addicted, and I don't care who knows it. Bring on the next issue!
Brooke Banks
description

I'm in love, I'm in love, I'm in looooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooove!

90s nostalgia. Girl gang. Music. GIRL CRUSHES. Vigilantes. Feminism. ALL OF IT!!!! *flails about wildly*

description
The Sapphic Nerd
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gosh darn adorable! You know when you're super excited for a comic and it comes out and it's everything you hoped it would be? This is that. I love it. I relate to Chris so hard! Everything in this comic is a mix of things I love. Queer girls, cute girls, audio/music, butt-kicking, and nerds. Good. All good. Beautiful art and writing that makes me make noises. PICK IT UP!!!
Tar Buendía
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
El dibujo me encantaba así que decidí darle un tiento. Qué gran decisión. No creo, eso sí, que la trama de para muchos números. Pero para empezar ay qué chachi.
Laura (bbliophile)
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: single-issues
ohmygosh this was so good and I love the characters and the art and the whole vibe it gives off and I can't wait to continue reading this series because I just know it's going to be amazing!!!
Mayar El Mahdy
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Beautiful artwork, but I'm not really hooked. I don't know if I'll continue.
Valerie
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Some of the things are not making sense, story-wise, but the art is nice
- ̗̀ kit  ̖́-
4.5 out of 5 stars

this was super fun and cute !!!
Nay Keppler
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I !! NEED !! MORE !!
solène ☾
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5/5
Not sure what I was expecting, but this is the first issue so even though it took me some time to get into it, I'm excited to see what's going to happen to Chris.
Phoebe
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun, coherent and with solid art! I'd read more. (BOOM studios is always killing it w/their female-forward comics intended for girls and boys of all stripes.)
Mika
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
(My Copy off of ComicX says Heavy Vinyl Issue #1)

Solid opening. I knew nothing about this going into it except that the cover promised ladies and the tags said "queer" and 1990s. I was pleasantly surprised, this was a good read, even for a single issue (which for me tend to feel more like chapters than anything I can really sink my teeth intro).

Not the best opener I've read, but as someone who didn't read the synopsis and went in as blind as I could, this was a positive experience. I'm liking th
Bookphile
I thought it was cute and has a lot of potential as a series. The art is really nice and I love the diverse group of characters. As an introductory issue, it worked well, but while it interested me, it wasn't the kind of book that hooked me immediately. I do want to see how it develops, though, and I plan on reading more issues.
Jenna
Not a bad setup issue but also not entirely gripping. I like the premise of the record shop and the little hints of something being not quite right in Chris’s fellow workers. Cute drawing style that doesn’t really stand out or take away from the storyline. Are the 1990s the new retro? If so, I’m feeling old.

Let’s see how the next issue goes!
Brittany
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
It took me a while to find this on here! For some reason, the version I have is just called Heavy Vinyl, not Hi-Fi Fight Club. [Edit: After some quick googling - discovered the name of the series changed.
Less confused now!] Anyway, moving on... this was such a good intro to the series. Consider me officially hooked and in need of more ASAP.
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Giant Days
I'm not going to write a review for each issue because I feel like that's a little much but I especially enjoyed this first one! The art style is so cute and the writing is funny, and I love Chris and her crush on Maggie, it's adorable and relatable and <3
Erika
This is a single issue not a trade....the art in this is amazing and high school me has a crush on all of the characters. I can not wait to see how all of them progress and to see how Chris starts to find her place amongst this cool gang and in life!
Hannah
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt, graphic-novel
Ahhhh!!! This is literally the lesbian story I've been DREAMING of. A group of cool girls with a RECORD SHOP and SECRETS. I loved all of the character designs and the coloring as well. I am so excited for the rest of the issues!
India Taylor
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
UHHHHHH I LOVE IT! I saw the cover and already liked it, but then I read the synopsis and was instantly HOOKED. The artwork is adorable, their fashion and music sense is to die for, and there's a queer lady! What more could a gal ask for?
Rae
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
!!!SO MUCH GIRL PWR!!!! ALL GIRLS FIGHT CLUB??? SO HECKIN CUTE AND BEAUT I ADORE IT.
Throw in vinyl and music and queer characters and I'm SOLD!

Connie
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5/5 stars

i was worried i wouldn't love this after hyping it up so much but............. the worrying was for nothing i LOVE THIS SO MUCH
  • Misfit City #1
  • Paper Girls #9
  • Lumberjanes #29
  • Giant Days #15
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #1
  • O Human Star, Volume One
Carly Usdin is an award-winning filmmaker based in Los Angeles. Her first feature, Suicide Kale, won the Audience Award for Best First Feature at Outfest 2016. After playing over 30 festivals worldwide the film is now available on iTunes and Amazon Prime. In 2017 Carly served as showrunner and director for the scripted series Threads, produced by New Form for Verizon’s go90 platform. The 20-episod ...more

Hi-Fi Fight Club (5 books)
  • Hi-Fi Fight Club #2