Jump to ratings and reviews
Praise for Magick & Mayhem, the first Abracadabra mystery
“Pape has a sure‑handed balance of humor and action.”
—Julie Hyzy, New York Times bestselling author

“Spellbinding, with magical prose, a wizardly plot, and a charming sleuth.”
—Janet Bolin, Agatha-nominated author of the national bestselling Threadville Mysteries

“Magic, Merlin, and murder are a great mix for this fun debut cozy.”
—Lynn Cahoon, New York Times and USA Today bestselling author

The answer to whodunit may lie beyond the veil . . .

November in upstate New York can be chilly, but Kailyn Wilde’s shop, Abracadabra, is a cozy respite where you can find lotions, potions, and plenty of warm, feline company. But what customers don’t know is that the proprietor has some unusual powers—and unusual friends, including the renowned magician Merlin, who’s been transported into the modern world. All of which comes in handy when there’s a murder to be solved . . .

Investigative journalist Ryan Cutler has perished in a car accident in New Camel, and his friend, Travis, suspects foul play—especially when the reporter’s notes reveal a mysterious list of dead men’s names. Kailyn wants to help, but she’s also got her hands full with the curmudgeonly Merlin, who’s not exactly maintaining a low profile. Between keeping the wizard under wraps and mixing up cold remedies that work like magic, she’ll have to tap into her many talents to figure out a killer’s fatal formula . . .

337 pages, Kindle Edition

First published May 1, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Sharon Pape

15 books273 followers
I started writing stories as soon as I learned how to put letters together to form words. From that day forward, writing has been a part of my life whether it was my first attempt at a novel in seventh grade or the little plays I wrote for my friends to perform for neighbors and family. After college, when I was busy teaching French and Spanish to high school students, I was also writing poetry -- often in French.

After several years, I left teaching to be a full time mom, and when my two children started school, I went back to writing. To my delight I found that the muse was still there, still waiting patiently for me to come around. My first novel, Ghostfire, was published at that time. It went on to be condensed in Redbook magazine (the first paperback original the magazine had ever condensed.) Then came The God Children and The Portal. Redbook also published my first short story, which was subsequently sold to several foreign magazines. With two great kids, a golden retriever and a loving, supportive husband (whom I'd met at the beach when I was fourteen -- but that's a story for another day), I felt like I was exactly where I was meant to be in my life. But fate had another plan for me, and it went by the name of "breast cancer."

Looking back, I realize how fortunate I was that the cancer was discovered at such an early stage, but at the time it was all very overwhelming. Once I was back on my feet, I wanted to help other women who were newly diagnosed, worried and afraid. I became a Reach to Recovery volunteer for the American Cancer Society and went on to run the program for Nassau and Suffolk Counties on Long Island. A number of years later, with the help of my surgical oncologist and two other volunteers, I started Lean On Me, a nonprofit organization that provides peer support and information to breast cancer patients. When Lean On Me celebrated its tenth anniversary it no longer required as much of my time, and I once again found myself free to pursue my first love -- writing.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 43 reviews
Profile Image for Carrie.
3,037 reviews1,499 followers
April 17, 2018
Magick Run Amok by Sharon Pape is the third book in the An Abracadabra Mystery series. The series is a mix of cozy mystery with urban fantasy with the main character being a witch who runs a magic shop, Abracadabra, talks to the ghosts of her relatives that have passed and had conjured Merlin who is now also a character in the series.

As with most cozy mystery series each book is centered around a new case for the characters to solve so the mystery side could be understood without having read all the books. However, the characters and their personal lives have carried their story over from book to book so to get the most enjoyment and understanding it’s always nice to start at the beginning.

In this installment of the series Kailyn’s love interest, Travis, finds that his friend and fellow reporter has gone missing so her goes out to search. Unfortunately Travis does find Ryan’s body and to Travis it looks like he’s been murdered but to the police it looks like a simple case of choking, the problem for Travis is that Ryan was a vegetarian and wouldn’t have touched the burger he’s found with voluntarily. With Travis determined to find a murderer Kailyn, Tilly and Merlin vow to do whatever they need to do to help.

The Abracadabra Mysteries are such fun to come back to book after book for someone like myself that enjoys crossing genres and reading something out of the ordinary. The unique twist of having a main character who is a witch investigating murder is that she always has the perfect (or not so perfect) spell on hand for any occasion whether it be a locked door or icy sidewalk. And with the rather eccentric side characters involved in this one it’s always worth quite a few chuckles along the way. This installment of the series was no different packing in all the fun found in previous reads along with danger around every turn as Kailyn and crew tried to prove who was the killer. Again I’ll be looking forward to the next book in the series to continue on with the fun.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley.

For more reviews please visit https://carriesbookreviews.com/
Profile Image for Karen.
503 reviews54 followers
April 15, 2018
Sharon Pape has such a fun paranormal cozy series and in Magick Run Amok I truly enjoyed the twists and the turns the story took. It is light hearted, fun, funny and was such a good ending too. The characters in this series I love from main character Kailyn, her Aunt Tilly and Lovely Merlin, yes the very same Merlin you are thinking of, get up to some pretty amazing things in the tiny town of New Camel! The setting, the cats and the visits from beyond make this one of my most favorite and treasured paranormal series. This one is out in May and you are going to want to read the entire series. I cannot wait to find out what happens next, and I love the covers of Sharon Pape's series.
Profile Image for LORI CASWELL.
2,352 reviews268 followers
May 12, 2018
Dollycas’s Thoughts

There is something brewing in New Camel and Kailyn Wilde had nothing to do with it until her boyfriend Travis pulls her in. Ryan Cutler, an investigative journalist is found dead after a car crash. It is ruled an accident by the police but Travis feels it was murder. Ryan was neck deep into an investigation and Travis believes it got him killed. Travis needs Kailyn’s help to find out all about the story Ryan was working on and knows they may need a little magick to get the information they need. Kailyn is also dealing with Merlin, the magician. He is getting more curious about this world he has been dropped into and he is on a mission that could affect the whole town. Hang on tight because Magick is running Amok, Amok, Amok!

Kailyn is still missing having mother and grandmother around to help every day at Abracadabra, but they still pop in “visit” in their ghostly form to give her unwanted advice. This time they popped in while Travis was in the shop. Good thing Kailyn had filled him in on her unusual family. Aunt Tilley is still serving tea and scones, doing readings, and helping out in Kailyn’s shop when Kailyn is tracking down a lead. They both try their best to keep the crafty wizard, Merlin, in line, but sometimes he gets away from them. Merlin is always my favorite character. Everything is new to him and he has the best intentions. I also love the way he can be distracted, usually by food. I also love the way Kailyn’s home is full of cats. Sashkatu is the cat that travels to the magick shop every day but the cats at home usually meet her at the door when she gets home. Of course, they expect to be fed immediately 🙂

Sharon Pape takes these wonderful characters and envelopes them in a complicated mystery that is so much fun to read. Kailyn and Travis make a great sleuthing team. I am so happy that he has accepted Kailyn for her as she is, pop up ghostly relatives and all. They proceed to work their investigation in a very logical way, well after a little magickal intervention to get a key piece of evidence. She also fills the story will humor, Merlin’s antics will have you laughing out loud.

Great characters and a great mystery make this story almost too entertaining to put down. I would have read the entire thing the first night if my eyeballs would have cooperated.

I would classify this series as paranormal light. Just the way I like them. Each can be read on their own, but why would you want to miss out on any of these clever stories.
363 reviews1 follower
April 27, 2018
**I voluntarily read this ARC**

My notes on this book are not helping me at all. For example, I wrote down "Amok! Amok! Amok, Amok, Amok!" because every time I saw the title it popped into my head. I really enjoy the humor in this series. It actually comes in two different forms - Merlin attempting to understand the modern world (or not bothering to understand some of it), and Morgana and Bronwyn's constant bickering and awkward timing. The mystery itself was pretty good, but a little overly complicated.
Profile Image for Annarella.
10.1k reviews94 followers
March 18, 2018
This is one my favourite paranormal series as it's full of humour and really funny situations.
This book keeps all the promises and it's fun to read and well written.
It's alway good to meet the entire cast of characters (favourite one Merlin) and to see how things are evolving.
The plot is very good, a bit darker than usual, and some parts made me laugh loudly.
A very good book.
Many thanks to Kensington Books and Netgalley
Profile Image for Mary Brown.
1,199 reviews45 followers
May 15, 2018
Magick Run Amok
An Abracadabra Mystery, Book #3
Sharon Pape
5 Stars

Synopsis:

Praise for Magick & Mayhem, the first Abracadabra mystery
“Pape has a sure‑handed balance of humor and action.”
—Julie Hyzy, New York Times bestselling author

“Spellbinding, with magical prose, a wizardly plot, and a charming sleuth.”

“Magic, Merlin, and murder are a great mix for this fun debut cozy.”
—Lynn Cahoon, New York Times and USA Today bestselling author

The answer to whodunit may lie beyond the veil . . .

“A charming, must-read mystery with enchanting characters. A fun and entertaining page turner.”—Rose Pressey, USA Today bestselling author (Goodreads)

Review:

The characters are well developed and well rounded. I love the relationships between Kailyn, her Aunt Tilly and Merlin, the magician. Kailyn and Aunt Tilly take turns being the “adult” and Merlin is always the precocious “child”. The situations they find themselves in are often very funny and entertaining. Travis is a great guy and he did not run the other way when Kailyn told him about her special powers. I think he is a keeper. I enjoy any time that I spend with them.

The writing style flows smoothly and the book is an easy ready. The writing style defines the characters very clearly by their actions and words. The author is very talented in her descriptive writing and I really enjoy the world of magick and mayhem that she creates. Although Kailyn is a witch I forget most of the time that she is a witch. She just seems like a regular person, except of course when she has to perform some magical trick to get out of trouble.

The mystery was well paced and carried on well throughout the entire book. There were enough suspects to consider and clues to sift through and it was not easily solved.
I would highly recommend this book (and series) to anyone that enjoys a well crafted cozy. I have read them all and I have loved them all.

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book provided by the publisher, Kensington Books, and NetGalley, which I greatly appreciate.

Profile Image for Laura.
3,173 reviews315 followers
May 3, 2018
Magic and murder mix in many ways as Kailyn Wilde tries to help her dear friend Travis discover what happened to his distant and mysterious friend. Ryan was a reporter who had a nose for obscure cases to chase, didn't mind ruffling feathers and sticking his nose into dangerous places.

Kailyn and her aunt Tilly have some unusual talents, which they seem not to have yet mastered. Determined to stay clearly on the white side of anything magical, this time the lines are more blurred and graying. Very few people know about their "talents" but it is becoming more difficult to hide them. Especially when their guest, Merlin, continues to act on his impulses, drawing attention to himself and his ideas.

Tourists are the name of the game when running a retail business, so strangers are always popping in. Kailyn must be cautious when mixing up special spells and potions and when asking questions.
She is also working on her own version of "popping in" skills.

With humor and investigative daring, along with some other worldly intervention, this adventure is a welcome addition to a delightful series. You can never predict what will happen next or who will save the day!
Profile Image for Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews.
2,291 reviews113 followers
May 8, 2018
I know I have mentioned this in my reviews of the first two books, but I really think that Merlin's character really makes this book. Reading how he loves food and is enthralled with modern technology reminds me of how much we take for granted.

This time the mystery centers around Kailyn's boyfriend's friend, Ryan, that is murdered. Travis knows that it wasn't an accident and what is unraveled in the book is much more than anyone expected....even me! I know when the killer was revealed in the end you could have knocked me over with a feather. I did not expect those people to be involved and the reasoning surprised me. (obviously I'm trying to not give too much away!)

While I am on the fence when it comes to magic in books (or perhaps it is the level), magic works in this series and makes the book a fun read. Especially Kailyn perfecting her transporting skills. I am glad that Travis accepts her skills and allows their relationship to progress.

If you haven't read this series yet, pick up the first book so you don't miss out on some details like how Merlin is in this century and not his own.
Profile Image for Arlene Arredondo.
554 reviews7 followers
April 10, 2018
A good murder mystery with a paranormal kick.
This third book has a more complex and developed plot than the previous installments.
We have our main character working on the family business, a Magic Shop, with a bit of supervision from her departed mother and grandmother. Her aunt Matilda, medium and baker extraordinaire, convinced the she is becoming like the Angel of Death, with premonitions of murder. The Great Merlin, that has decided to mend the error of the name of the town by running for a seat in the town's council, which leads to funny situations.
When a missing person is found dead, and Tilly's hunch becomes a reality, the investigation begins just to be followed by murder.
Note: I received an ARC for review and an honest and unbiased opinion.
Profile Image for Susan.
1,461 reviews10 followers
May 2, 2018
The perfect escape. How could you not want to hang out with witches, ghosts and THE Merlin (who wants to rename the town Camelot)? Kailyn is still running the magick shop with the help of her Aunt Tilly and her ghostly mother and aunt. (I would so enjoy spending time with Tilly over tea and yummy baked goods) In this, the third installment, Kailyn is asked to help investigate the death of a reporter, a vegetarian who supposedly died from eating a hamburger. While that mystery is unfolding, Merlin, always at odds with Tilly, has gone so far as to steal one of her favorite muumuus and cut it up to make a banner....he liked the green color of it. The banner is all part of his plan to get elected to the town council and move to change the towns name to Camelot. Sounds so very reasonable to him and that leads to some very funny conversations.
This can be read out of order but to get the most out of this, the third entry, I would encourage you to start with the first book. They are a fast read, great escape and satisfying mysteries. I will be eagerly waiting for the next one.
My thanks to the publisher Lyrical Underground and to NetGalley for giving me an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for Leigh-Ann.
15 reviews
June 8, 2020
This was another great book in the series. However, there were a few things that were off. One, I was disappointed that the plot didn’t have more of a Halloween vibe to it. Being that it takes place from September to November, I would have loved it to have a bit more of Halloween incorporated into it. Two, Jim Harkens was the one murdered in the first book (Magick and Mayhem) but they referred to him as Gary Harkens in this book which was a little confusing. Three, in the second book (That Olde White Magick) it specifically says that Travis has a sister. However, in this book it states that Travis was an only child up until freshman year of high school and then his family took in a kid the same age as Travis. These little inconsistencies are why it was given a lower rating.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Jo  (Mixed Book Bag).
2,617 reviews48 followers
May 26, 2018
This took a long time to get to the heart of the story but once it did the mystery played out in an interesting and exciting way. I liked the characters. All had special qualities that added to the story line. This is book three and because I had not read the first two I did think I was missing out on some of the subtexts. Still a nice cozy mystery filled with cats.

I received a free copy fo the book in return for an honest review.
Profile Image for Sue Em.
1,122 reviews49 followers
May 18, 2018
shelves stocked with items with an extra ingredient -- magick. Her Aunt Tully helps when she can, but Merlin, the famed sorcerer is often flummoxed in the 21st century. Now Travis, her reporter boyfriend, pulls her into the investigation of his brother's death. A list of names that his brother had turns out to be all deceased. But what is the connection between all the names and why does it seem that somebody is after Kailyn and Travis? An enjoyable cozy.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Maria.
829 reviews5 followers
May 7, 2018
Do you believe in magic?
Kailyn Wilde, our main character, has magic and she is not afraid to use it when her family or friends are in danger... So when her "boyfriend", Travis, confesses to her that his stepbrother has been murdered and wants to investigate, she is not afraid to help him, even if it means putting her life in danger!
This story not only turns about the mystery, but the curious family of Kailyn, with her ghost mother lecturing her when she is not acting correctly, her "mysterious" friend Merlin, that could be coming from the past... or of course the cats she has in her life...! But let me say that it makes the story funny and interesting, of course.
This is not just a complex case to investigate, but on the grey zone, because Travis stepbrother was investigating a few victims that simply passed away or committed suicide... so what is really behind these accidents? The answer will not be easy, because how many times have we seen on tv a killer that thanks to the lawyer gets a free card from prison even if they killed someone? Is it fair? No, of course, but the law is the law and you can never take the law on your own hands, don't you think?
This is the third book of the series An Abracadabra Mystery, I would recommend you to read the previous books if you want to follow the story, it could be read alone, but I would not recommend it.
Ready for a little bit of magic in your life?
Profile Image for Katreader.
687 reviews25 followers
May 11, 2018
MAGICK RUN AMOK by Sharon Pape
The Third Abracadabra Mystery

Merlin, yes, that Merlin, is a magician on a mission. He's determined to changed the name of New Camel back to it's original name, a mission that could do more harm than good! It also seems that Aunt Tilly has developed a new power and it's one she really doesn't want. Tilly can predict death. Sadly, her prediction is realized when Travis finds his missing journalist brother dead. And Travis doesn't think it was an accident. He's asked for Kailyn's help and the two of them are out to discover what story he was working on and if that's what got him killed!

What fun to be back in New Camel, NY! I live not too far from this fictional town and so wish I could meander the aisles of Abracadabra and pick out some products for myself! Truth be told, I'd also be popping across the street to get some of Lolly's fudge! I love the banter between Tilly and Merlin as well as Kailyn's recently dead, but not so departed, mother and grandmother. With all of the nuttiness, I appreciate how down to earth Kailyn is. It's satisfying how Kailyn uses legwork, research, and a little bit of magick to track down a killer.

While there are plenty of laughs to be found here, MAGICK RUN AMOK also touches on some more serious subjects, primarily loss and love, including the lengths you go to for a loved one. The book deals with losing loved ones, yet celebrating the family you have left, whether that family is biological or the one you create for yourself.

MAGICK RUN AMOK is delightful fun with quirky characters and a complicated mystery.

FTC Disclosure – The publisher sent me a digital ARC provided through NetGalley, in the hopes I would review it.
1,583 reviews13 followers
May 9, 2018
Princess Fuzzypants here: If mew like a fun read with magic and cats and a good mystery, check this out. I confess I am reallly enjoying this series and look forward to each new story. Kailyn owns Abracadabra, skating the line between acknowledging she has special powers as the women of her family had done for centuries before and pretending she is a normal shopkeeper.
She has let a limited number of others into her secret world but she is getting stronger and more capable and this time, she is also more blatant in using her power. She is going to need all the help she can get if she is going her help her boyfriend uncover the mystery behind his brother’s murder. He was on the hunt for what might have been a serial killer. Nothing is obvious, which is why it has flown under the radar for so long.
It’s an exciting page turning romp. Kailyn needs all the magical help she can get including her aunt Tilly and Merlin (yup, that one) who has managed to land in modern times. His escapades are always a hoot and this time he is just “ducky”. Another character who really got top billing is Sashkatu, her late mother’s familiar , who with all the fledgling familiars in her home, truly saves the day. It was the kind of book that the reader wants to go on forever.
You can read this as a one-off but why would you. I give this five purrs and two paws up.
Profile Image for Ms Cat's World.
793 reviews5 followers
May 5, 2018
Not only was this a new to me cozy mystery series, this was also a new to me author and I must say, I have totally been missing out! After receiving book three, Magick Run Amok, in the Abracadabra Mystery Series for this book tour, I have already shelved the first two to read! With that being said, this is a well-written novella in which there is enough background information of the characters to be able to catch up easily.

Abracadabra is a cozy shop in upstate New York that is ran by our talented Kailyn Wilde who mixes up "magical" homeopathic remedies next to the reknowned Merlin alongside her Aunt Tilly and her ghostly mother and aunt. Merlin is quite the handful who likes to bake and wants to change the name of the town to Camelot.

We follow Kailyn's full hands as her boyfriend, Travis, finds his stepbrother murdered and is determined to find the killer. Travis, knowing Kailyn's abilities of "magick", the two choose to start with what story his investigative reporter brother was working on.

I felt this read was full of lighthearted fun with plenty of twists and turns to draw me into the mystery. I like the cross-genre that mixes the mystery with paranormal fun!
Profile Image for Book.
416 reviews
April 14, 2018
This series features four sorceresses (two are ghosts), a TV anchor boyfriend, six cats and the wizard Merlin, transported from ancient England when Kailyn preformed a ritual to summon her own familiar.

Kailyn owns Abracadabra, an “authentic magick shop”, while her Aunt Tilly, a psychic, owns Tea and Empathy where she gives readings followed by tea and delicious pastries that she bakes herself.

In this adventure, boyfriend Travis finds his stepbrother murdered and is determined to find the killer. Enlisting his sleuthing sorceress Kailyn to help, the two of them begin tracking down the story his investigative reporter brother was working on. Travis is aware of and comfortable with Kailyn’s ability to cast spells and finds her magick quite useful at times.

While this is a fun read the story gets a little confusing in places. However, the interaction with Sashkatu, the oldest and wisest cat, the banter and action between Merlin and anyone, and the on-again/off-again success of Kailyn’s magick spells transcends the few objections some readers may find.

Profile Image for Allyson Abu-Hajar.
553 reviews26 followers
June 4, 2018
What a fun read! Kailyn Wilde's Aunt Tilly has another premonition of a murder and although Kailyn feels her Aunt's premonitions are more of a hunch until Travis informs Kailyn that he found his friend and he's dead. Travis shares that Ryan and his connection to each other goes beyond friendship, and vows to find out who killed Ryan. Kailyn joins in using her magic skills. Together they discover quite a few people have been killed, but need to find out what Ryan, a reporter, knew. Although, the focus is around the mystery of who killed Ryan, there is plenty of humor tossed in.

I'm particularly fond of Merlin, who, although well meaning, always seems to cause trouble for himself. My favorite part was when he transformed himself into a duck, where his indignation was proclaimed by quacking. When Kaitlyn and her aunt using a spell trying to transform Merlin back to himself, lead to a quagmire of varying body parts making an appearance.

If you enjoy paranormal, mystery, and humor then you'll enjoy this book! I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for a review.
933 reviews17 followers
May 24, 2018
Magick Run Amok is a fast paced cozy that serves up a winning mix of humor, magick and murder. ��

Kailyn Wilde has plenty to keep her busy between managing her shop and helping her aunt keep an eye on Merlin - who has a talent for trouble.  When an investigative journalist and good friend is found dead, Travis suspects foul play. But all he has to back up his claim is a list of names that Ryan believed were connected.  Kailyn readily joins in on his investigation, providing magical assistance when necessary. Killers have been dying, but who is responsible? Was Ryan murdered because he found a connection the police did not?  Investigating murder is a dangerous proposition, even when you have magick on your side.

Magick Run Amok is a cute cozy mystery that will readily appeal to fans of paranormal cozies.

4 / 5

I received a copy of Magick Run Amok from the publisher and Netgalley.com in exchange for an honest review.

— Crittermom

Profile Image for Katrina Wiese.
219 reviews
June 7, 2018
This was the first book I have read by Sharon Pape, even though I have had the other two books in the Abracadabra book series on my want to read list for awhile...too many books, so little time. I am so glad I got the opportunity to read and review this book, it is SO GOOD! I love cozies that have a fun paranormal twist to them and this series fits the bill perfectly. Also, how can you not love a story full of magic, cats and Merlin, yes that Merlin and visits from ghosts! The character and story development in this series is phenomenal. This story had me reading long into the night because I didn't want to put it down..although I had to be careful not to wake my husband because the book had me laughing so many times. I can't wait to get reading the other books in the series! This book can be read as a standalone, but seriously if you haven't started the series, just buy them all and start at the beginning.
Profile Image for Fleur Bradley.
Author 7 books187 followers
April 30, 2018
This was my first read in the Abracadabra Mystery series, but it took me just a few pages to get caught up. The characters are easy to get to know, and the magick elements are accessible to readers who aren't familiar with this, like me.

What I loved most about this book was how strong the mystery is, how well-paced the revelation, and how the amateur sleuth element works so well. Although Kailyn is a Magick Shop owner, her boyfriend is reporter, which makes for a more natural amateur sleuth involvement. Although this series falls in the cozy sleuth genre, the mystery felt strong enough to transcend the category. there were even times where the pursuit by the antagonist made the story feel like a thriller.

Recommended, and I look forward to reading the previous and next books in the Abracadabra series.
Profile Image for Cozy Reviews.
1,567 reviews5 followers
May 10, 2018
This is a delightful series ! I have read the entire series and highly recommend each book. The author has a magical (pun) writing style that has created the most fascinating characters. .
Magick Run Amok is the third in this wonderfully magically funny cozy mystery series. The series main character is a witch and with her quite normal T.V. Reporter boyfriend, her insightful psychic Aunt Tilly and Merlin himself Wow! ) she solves crimes. The personalities are so eclectic and fun that I found myself laughing out loud.
The writing is wonderful and the plot flows along through a well crafted sleuth. I don't want to give it away because its so much fun to read each reader should experience the book for themselves. One of my favorite cozy series !
Thank you for the ARC which did not influence my review. I highly recommend this series.
Profile Image for Linda.
304 reviews2 followers
April 18, 2018
A fun and magical paranormal cozy mystery full of twist and turns. You will want to figure out who did it. Kailyn Wilde return's in the 3rd book in an Abracadabra mystery book series.

Travis's brother Ryan dies in a car accident but he thinks something fishy is going on. Ryan was working on a story and he is concerned this might be the real cause of his death. Kailyn and Travis decide to investigate the story he was working on to figure out if this lead to Ryan's death. She will need the help of Merlin the magician and her aunt Tilly. Will they be able to uncover the truth or will they find themselves in a tragic accident?

There are funny moments and how can you go wrong with magic. If you haven't started this series pick it up. A good cozy mystery to snuggle up with at night.
Profile Image for Penny.
2,044 reviews38 followers
April 30, 2018
We are at the third book in this cozy paranormal mystery series, and I must admit it is fast becoming a favorite. I just love the humor elements in this book, especially how the character Merlin brings a sense of wonder and a huge dose of funny frustration to the books. I also love the relationship between Kailyn and Travis, and I think the author does a great job of keeping it real between them. They aren’t perfect, and they know it as evidenced in a couple scenes in this installment. I also really enjoyed the plot in this one as it was more complex than previous, and I really liked that. I kept guessing who had done it, and I was wrong. All-in-all, this was a fun, action-filled, great mystery book, and I’m eagerly waiting for the next one! Highly recommend! I was provided a complimentary copy of the e-book which I reviewed voluntarily.
9,349 reviews78 followers
April 19, 2018
This is a fun installment in an entertaining paranormal cozy series- and if you haven't read the earlier books, you'll be fine starting here. Kailyn's magic shop is doing well and although she's dealing with Merlin (yes, Merlin), who wants to change the name of their town from New Camel to Camelot, things are pretty calm (well, she's also dealing with her rambunctious family.). That's before Travis enlists her to find out what really happened to his friend Ryan. The mystery has some twists, Kailyn uses some spells, the dialogue is snappy, and the whole thing is a hoot that doesn't go over the top. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.
Profile Image for Leith Devine.
1,330 reviews89 followers
May 18, 2018
This is the third book in the Abracadabra mystery series, and I enjoyed it very much. You have to believe in witches a little to enjoy these books but they are fun reads.
The characters are fun and quirky, especially Merlin (yes, that Merlin), and the book reads well and is fun to boot.
Kailyn is back in her shop and she's working with her boyfriend to solve a series of murders. It takes them some time, and they have to use her magick along the way to get to the truth.
I definitely recommend this books and the others in the series. Thanks to Lyrical Underground and NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Steve.
493 reviews21 followers
May 27, 2018
Excellent supernatural cozy

I loved this book. Although the third book in the Abracadabra Mystery series, it is a great stand-alone. I didn’t even realize until after I finished it that it was not the first book. Character development is great as is the pacing. Sharon Pape writes with a good sense of humor and keeps the reader enthralled from start to finish. If you liked books like Strange Sight by Syd Moore, Witches Gone Wicked by Sarina Dorie, Case of the Deadly Doppelganger by Lucy Banks, and The Inspector Hobbes series by Wilkie Martin, then you should like this book as well.
Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book vias Netgalley for review purposes.
Profile Image for Leslie.
1,081 reviews4 followers
April 17, 2018
Once again magic and murder go hand in hand in this small town cozy mystery. Tilly and Merlin bicker constantly throughout the book and it seems Kailyn is now fully vested as a sleuth. Her boyfriend Travis becomes involved in a dangerous investigation when his friend/adopted brother is killed. Magick, especially when it's wonky, is not helpful, but it might be enough to keep everyone alive. Merlin accidentally turning himself into a duck Overall this was another fun foray into life in New Camel(ot). I read this courtesy of NetGalley.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 43 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.