Start by marking “Golden” as Want to Read:
Golden

Golden

Harem boy might not be the most appropriate role for someone who’s never really seen the appeal of sex, but Elin’s status as dahabi: golden in a land of tan and brown, has marked him for The Dragon’s service since birth. He’s content enough with his life of uncomplicated, if restrictive, luxury, until an unremarkable chore becomes a case of love at first sight.

Mysterious n
Published September 25th 2017 by NineStar Press

To ask other readers questions about Golden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Golden

Start your review of Golden
SheReadsALot
3.5 HEARTS--
A treasure hunt turns up the most unexpected prize.

It's a fantasy based world in R.L. Mosswood's Golden. Elin lives in The Dragon's harem. He's a dahabi, or golden in looks, from is golden curls and golden skin, to his golden brown eyes. Any male who is born with this coloring is considered dahabi and to be in service of the Dragon Queen.

That's right, a lady dragon is running things!

Actually she's more like this:

[HERE BE A PRETTY BOSS GIF THAT AIN'T EXACTLY SAFE FOR WO
☆ Todd
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it

Well, that was fun. : )

I enjoyed this fantasy novella of harem boy Elin and merchant adventurer Hathar meeting and falling for one another quite a bit.

One thing that surprised me about Elim was his absolute lack of experience regarding all things carnal. Instead of being a 'well-ridden' member of the dragon's harem, he was a bit more like a princess trapped in the dragon's tower. Just without the damsel'y parts. ;- )

Then along came Hathar, who may have bought and sold goods along his journey, bu
Kazza
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, arc
 photo Potential-OTDU-Banner-9-Smaller2_zpsf0878d67.png

Nothing super fantastical or action-packed occurs in Golden. There is not much dragon activity going on, despite the name of the being who rules the palace. Both MCs get a perspective throughout which helps you understand their feelings. Golden is essentially about two men who find themselves when it is totally unexpected, the awakening of desire in one of them, and understanding something of value when it’s presented.

I wasn’t sure going in how I’d feel about this one because fantasy in a no
S.J. Foxx
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Golden is a story that follows a split person narrative. The first character we meet is a very adorable harem boy, Elin, who is very reluctant to engage in sexual activities with 'The Dragon,' who the harem boys 'belong to.' However, Elin is something of an outcast, or at least, regarded as being a little odd for not enjoying the uhm... 'visits' with her. I suppose you could say this is the story of Elin trying to find himself.
And our second protag is Hathar, a witty, sharp tongued, loveable rog
Fani
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
The premise of “Golden” was intriguing. A harem full of golden men, it’s owner – a woman that can transform into a dragon, a protagonist that lives in the harem, but has no sexual desires and a handsome traveler that has just entered the palace bringing stories of the outside world with him. This was a recipe for a very interesting story, but the execution didn’t give the expected result.

All of the characters were underdeveloped, the relationship between the protagonists was rushed and didn’t ev
Kaa
A free copy of the book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

I requested a copy for review because I thought from the summary that Elin might possibly be ace-spec, but the narrative around his sexuality is kind of a mess. (Note: I am not asexual myself.) I looked up a couple interviews with the author, and they haven't said anything to indicate that they think of Elin as ace, but the way he is described in the beginning is pretty consistent with the way that a lot of ace p
Joyfully Jay
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: elizabeth
A Joyfully Jay review.

Golden seems to want to be the story of a prince held captive by a dragon and rescued by a handsome knight, while at the same time evoking 1001 Arabian Nights and with a dash of Ocean’s Eleven. Unfortunately, this story lacks the whimsy of a fairy tale, the eroticism of an adventure in a harem, or the frenetic energy and clever planning of a heist. It’s a modest enough read, mostly inoffensive and mildly entertaining.

Elin’s character is a close cousin to Gary Stu
Kristin
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
While this isn't the genre I usually read, I really enjoyed it. I thought the characters were very heartfelt, and the world-building was interesting.
Madtitan
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Golden is unlike Moby-Dick. For instance, it doesn't go on and on about whaling in the middle. I've heard that many people don't like novellas because they feel rushed, but I found Golden to be succinct - all the details need to set the scene and tell the story.

Moby-Dick is about a guy who hates Moby-Dick. Golden is about a couple of guys who love (each other's) dicks. I'm not really one for love at first sight stories, but I liked this one.

Moby-Dick has sexual metaphor. Golden has sex. I was su
UnusualChild{beppy}
*I received a free copy through the MMRG DBML program in exchange for an honest review*
4 stars

Synopsis: Elin is a part of a dragon's harem, and has never really known any other life. He isn't one of the favoured of the harem, having ruined his chances when he was a lot younger. One day, Elin is asked to clean up a new member of the harem, which is unusual, as harem boys are usually identified as small children and given up. But when Elin sees this man, he instantly feels a connection with him.
Ha
Penumbra
I received Golden from the Goodreads ‘Don’t Buy My Love’ program. In this book, we meet Elin, a harem boy, and Hathar, who I’d call a pirate/merchant. This story is told in third person from both MCs povs.

3.5 Stars

(view spoiler)
A.R. Jarvis
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, slash
This was a wonderful little fluffy read. Two characters are brought together in rather unexpected circumstances (for one; I guess it was normal circumstances for the other). They find love, and have a few adventures, culminating in ...an ending that I really liked (even if the twists weren't all that surprising). I like the two characters, and while I did feel that their relationship moved a bit fast they had a good dynamic between them, and also a deadline of sorts.

Why did it feel too fast? Wel
Morningstar
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book & Author: Golden by R.L. Mosswood
Rating: 4 stars

This was a quick but beautifully written story that captured me right from the start.

I think what I loved most about this story was that it packed a lot in a short time. And it never left e feeling like I was missing something or that it was being rushed. Elin was beautiful with golden hair and golden skin but so were the other more favored dahabi of the Dragon’s harem. He was this mix of smart and naive that made you want to see him get more
Alexis Woods
This book was received free in return for an honest review via Goodreads Don't Buy My Love program.

The blurb unfortunately reveals much of the storyline. Hathar is captured and thrown into the harem because of his looks. Hathar is anything but compliant, stirring trouble immediately, but befriending Elin along the way. Hathar takes Elin under his wing, sexually, and they become inseparatable. The story takes place over a week's time.

Although the writing was excellent, which should have me givi
blub
This was an interesting novella involving a dragon, her hoard of boys and a sailing opportunist (pirate). Elin has been part of the Dragon Queen’s harem since childhood. He lives his life idly since he’s lost favor with the queen when he was unable to perform with her. Unable to leave he lives contently within the harem keeping to himself. When the guards find someone sulking near the palace they mistake the individual an escaping harem boy. Elin is appointed to clean Hathar up to be part of the ...more
Dan
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I picked this up on a whim. I liked they style and the story. Worth a read if you're looking for something quick and easy with a happy ending.
Sophie
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book, m-m
A short and sweet fantasy story. Some bits required a lot of suspension of disbelief, and I subtracted one star for the repeated use of "okay", because it seriously messed with the atmosphere.
Theodora IK
Oct 12, 2017
R.L. Mosswood
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Danna