Start by marking “A Quest for Mr Darcy” as Want to Read:
A Quest for Mr Darcy

A Quest for Mr Darcy

4.48  ·  Rating details ·  232 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Fitzwilliam Darcy is on a quest. Convinced he is over his foolish infatuation with Elizabeth Bennet, he returns from a year of travelling with a plan, both to protect the estate of which he is guardian and to ensure his sister's happiness: he intends to do his duty and secure a wife at the earliest opportunity.

Duty; a path from which Darcy knows he should never have been
Published July 13th 2017 by White Soup Press

To ask other readers questions about A Quest for Mr Darcy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Quest for Mr Darcy

Leslie
This is a distinctive P&P What if that imagines:

1] That following his humiliation in Hunsford Darcy packed up his household and took an extended tour of Northern Europe

2] That Lydia not only wasn't recovered but was killed in an Inn Fire

3] That Mrs. Bennet succumbed to the stress of the loss of her daughter and followed her to the graveyard in a seven night

4] That the remaining Bennets fled Meryton to points unknown.

5] Darcy decides at 30 he must have a bride

6] That Bingley has more sisters
Sheila Majczan
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first followed this as a WIP online and then reread it when it was published. The story seemed to have (as Anji said) been tightened up in places and a few details changed or amended. I loved it either way.

Mr. Darcy has fled to the continent with Georgiana in an attempt to escape thoughts of Elizabeth, dreams of Elizabeth, the image of her as she rejected his proposal at Hunsford. Georgiana and he have become much more open with each other and he has shared his heart break with her. Now back i
Talia
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is pricey. I went back and forth as to whether to buy it. I like the author but what if I didn't like the book? Amazon had a $5 off deal for any book $20+ so I went for it. Money well spent! I loved this book. I had no idea what would happen. It was amazing. So glad I bought the paperback because this is one I am proud to have on the shelf to read again and again.
Carole (in Canada)
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: JAFF, Romance
Shelves: favorites, variations
My Rating: 5+++++

"He was a single man in want of a wife."

This book is lovingly referred to as 'The Beast'. I was very fortunate to have won it in a giveaway. It will now grace my bookshelves as one of my favourite variations from one of my very favourite authors!

I had first read this as a work-in-progress. However, holding 'The Beast' in my hands, it's as if I am reading it for the first time. I am enthralled. Ms. Grafton's writing is beautiful and flows seamlessly in this hefty tome. All emoti
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
What If, One Year Later, Mr. Darcy Had Moved On?

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Pride and Prejudice Variation

TIME FRAME: July 1813 (around one after Elizabeth’s visit to the Peak District)

MAIN CHARACTERS: Elizabeth and Jane Bennet, Mr. Bennet, Mr. Darcy, Georgiana Darcy, Mr. Bingley, Olivia and Viola Bingley, Colonel Fiztwilliam

SYNOPSIS: What if, instead of returning home to Pemberley and running into Elizabeth and the Gardiners at Pemberley, Mr. Darcy traveled to the continen
Janet

When I heard that Cass Grafton had a new Regency era P&P work in progress, I was so excited. I absolutely love her writing style, her ability to delve into the minds and hearts of the characters and her talent to tell a captivating story. I was not disappointed. A Quest for Mr. Darcy lived up to my expectations and more. The standard set by the author in her series of books, A Fair Prospect, Volumes I, II and III was met with ease.

What if Darcy, along with Georgiana and her companion left fo
Deb Hughes
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very different variation!

Totally surprised by the events that took place to put Mr. Bennet, Jane and Elizabeth living so close to Pemberley. When Darcy had returned from his European trip with his sister.... trying to forget his horrible proposal at Hunsford and trying to help his sister get over the frightful event with Wickham.... he was stunned to find Lizzie living so close in the vicinity. Is was a wonderful journey fraught with hilarious guests, adventure for all included and quite the h
wosedwew
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life is full of obstacle illusions. ~Grant Frazier

Darcy’s obstacle illusion is that he can travel far enough to escape his memories.

When he returns from his travels, his obstacle illusion is that he can replace a woman he loves with one he appreciates.

(view spoiler)
Tamra
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5+++++++! DON’T READ THE REVIEWS, just read it! So many twists and turns better left unknown. This is the best variation I’ve read in a long time. Funny, engaging read with great new characters! This is one complete book, long but fulfilling. I hate books written and sold in a series published one at a time. I love getting the full story so you feel complete when it’s ended. Definitely got my money’s worth and more on this one. I guess if I were going to be picky, a little Caroline Bingley would ...more
Anji
I was one of Ms. Grafton's avid followers for six months as this story was posted online and I loved the story then. The edited version is just as good, if not better. The pacing is better, slightly tighter I'd say, but "In essentials, I believe, it is very much what it ever was." I maybe slightly misquoting a famous author there!

Ms. Grafton's trilogy "A Fair Prospect” was in my Desert Island Five on an Austen-related blog a couple of years ago and still is, though it would have to be Ten (or e
Dung
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: austen-inspried
What a fun and enjoyable book. I love the Bingley twins! Such an interesting twist and plot!
Ssawyer
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow - lucky me - I get to give this book its first review!
I had the privilege of reading this book as Cass posted it chapter by chapter on her blog over several months. It was so much fun! I waited with baited breath for every new chapter. Can't wait to read it again as soon as the kindle edition is available.
If you enjoy P&P variations, you'll love this one!
Update: I loved reading this again. The editing for the final version tightened up some transitions and improved the readability. The
Adrian
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shining perfection

I usually restrain my voracious reading habit by selecting new books from Kindle Unlimited. The reputation of this author, the cover and the reviews caused me to take a chance and download the sample. From there, the author had me hooked! Everything about this book was stellar: grammar, writing, plot development, and dialogue. Bonus points for the seamless (and believable) integration of characters from other Austen works.

I do not regret the purchase of this book from my meage
EM Clark
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is absolutely fabulous!!

It is so rare to finish a book and be completely pleased with the depth, intrigue, length and ending, but here I sit thoroughly satisfied! Easily one of the best P&P variations I have read (out of literally hundreds) and I cannot wait to read more from the author. Fantastic!!
Jenny
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read, jaff, jaff-2018
I really loved this... it's so long - over 700 pages so took a while but it was really worth the effort. It's one of those books I feel a bit sad to have finished as there are so many great characters in here.

We start with some significant events... Darcy travelled for 12 months after Huntsford so never met with Elizabeth again. He therefore did not force Wickham to marry Lydia - she was killed in a fire and her mother also died soon after. The scandal meant the Bennets left Hertfordshire to bec
Lynn
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyable read

This is a lovely story. It starts with a different premise and grows from there. I really enjoyed the new secondary characters that were in this story, especially the Bingley twins. If you are looking for a thoroughly satisfying read, this is the book for you.
MC
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars I really liked this story. It was very different from the usual variations I read. The characters were very well developed and I liked the addition of the new characters, particularly the Bingley twins.
The only problem was that it was a bit long.
Wesley Shanholtzer
Good mystery

Enjoyed this novel because of its rather unique new characters and because I was able to predict a living person for the "ghost" and the archer's role.
Ann
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent plot

I always enjoy a good plot and this book delivers. The addition of the Bingley twins was a delightful addition! Cassandra Grafton gave her faithful readers twists and turns and outcomes no one saw coming! Well done!
Barbara
This is a Pride and Prejudice variation with a bit of a mysterious twist. I can't share some of my favorite parts without offering spoilers, which I hope to avoid here, but I thoroughly enjoyed this story, and I recommend it even if that constraint makes this review seem less interesting.

Weeks after being rejected by Elizabeth Bennet at Hunsford, Mr. Darcy still can't seem to get her off his mind, and he must move on. So, at the same time Lizzy is going off to visit Derbyshire with her aunt and
Susanne
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this novel as it unfolded, chapter by chapter, on Cassandra Grafton's blog--and I adored every moment of it!!! Wednesday mornings became the highlight of my week as a new chapter awaited my attention in my inbox.

The premise of this story is quite different: Mrs. Bennet and Lydia are dead; Kitty and Mary are married, and Mr. Bennet along with his two elder daughters, move away from the gossip of Lydia's failed elopement with Wickham (Elizabeth never visits Pemberley in this variation) to
Vee Stojcevski
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enormously satisfied!

This is such a beautifully told story. The length of the story gave me lots to enjoy and it was thoroughly satisfying from start to finish.
Darcy goes abroad to try and forget Elizabeth, only to find her in his own backyard upon his return.
So many stand out moments throughout this novel. For instance, I was skeptical upon hearing about the Bingley twins arrival until I met them and then couldn’t help but become enchanted by their vivacity. Loved all their scenes. Great editi
Staciel

First off, if you are a fan of Jane Austen Fan fiction (JAFF), and you are not reading the website Austenesque Reviews, then you need to be doing so immediately! (If you look around at books like this one, you will find the author of that site (Meredith) putting reviews on goodreads as well)

One of my favorite things that she does with her site is 'award' the best books that she's read in any given year in an end of the year list.. I will try and link to the list for 2017 right here;

Camille Fiore
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like Many Quests

This variation was thoroughly enjoyable. There were a few times when it seemed like you'd never get to the next scene as Ms Grafton wanted each principle in a scene to have their own perspective written. But each segment was exciting so you wanted to continue. The reason I renamed this Many Quests is there was the original quest, to quickly choose a suitable wife, them so many subsequent quests, to get rid of the family of said quick choice, to find this person, to find that
Elizabeth Cohen
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fall in love all over again

There are few fan fiction novels, especially on Darcy and Elizabeth, that I enjoyed fully than I did this one. Having been away for so long after a failed proposal Darcy finds he needs a wife and it can't be Elizabeth Bennet. However, the best laid plans right!? The twists and turns, the mystery within a mystery makes this book unlike any other. There are new characters who you dislike but like at the same time. I would love to give a really well put spoiler but, you n
Susan Sheftic
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another perfect book!

I have read so many P&P variations and have been disappointed more and more lately. I have to say I think Cassandra Grafton has now taken my top honor as favorite author! She tells a great (lengthy)story with good humor and great storytelling. My favorite is that there is much angst without any real villains. Elizabeth is not drugged, shot or kidnapped by evil Wickham or crazy Caroline like in so many books. They are still not nice people but do not take over the story.
Susan
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: austenesque
After the failure of his proposal at Hunsford, Darcy travelled to forget. On returning to Pemberley he finds that the Bennets are his new tenants. But only Mr. Bennet and the two elder daughters. What disaster could possibly have befelled the family.
And what of Wickham.
But Darcy is determined to marry and to this end he has invited several families for a visit, plus Bingley and two of his younger twin sisters, and of course the Colonel.
A delightful story, well-written, and never seems overlong a
Kuulei
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great what if of Pride & Prejudice

I have read many "what if" versions of Pride & Prejudice but this was the first to truly capture my attention as being the best written, carefully thought out, and plausible story yet! The plot was well developed, with intrigues quite arresting giving the overall story structure and balance. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and recommend it to all who live Jane Austen and a good read.
Truitti
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though this was set in about the same era as Jane Austen's world, the language, attitudes, and society seemed a bit modern. Don't misunderstand, I enjoyed the novel. The slight bent towards women thinking independently and men of the time "allowing" them to express and act on their opinions was a refreshing take. I enjoyed the different twist of the "what if Darcy did...". Very enjoyable slant on one of my favorite Austen novels.
E. Davidson
Too long for its own good

I had some good times reading this take on P&P, but my interest descended far too often into boredom. This variation could have been reduced by at least a hundred pages. Getting rid of most of the endless repetitions of "in the year twelve" is just one suggestion, as is removing the saccharine and rambunctious Bingley twins altogether.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »