Start by marking “That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Vol. 1

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Vol. 1

(That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (Manga) #1)

As players of Monster Hunter and Dungeons & Dragons know, the slime is not exactly the king of the fantasy monsters. So when a 37-year-old Tokyo salaryman dies and wakes up in a world of dragons and magic, he’s a little disappointed to find he’s become a blind, boneless slime monster. Mikami’s middle age hasn’t gone as he planned: He never found a girlfriend, he got st ...more
Published August 22nd 2017 by Kodansha Comics (first published October 30th 2015)

Start your review of That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Vol. 1
Shannon
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Added in after finishing volume 4 (no spoilers):
Honestly this has turned into the best isekai series I've read recently. Great characters, a touch of ecchi that isn't overbearing, and a world that doesn't feel stale and overdone.

Previous review:
3.5 rounded down because some things were funny ... and some things were not.

Weirdest thing about this manga is that the main character is 37 years old. 😅
Andrea
My favourite manga series of the moment. Eight volumes are available in translation, and there's also an anime series (which is where I started).

This is an 'isekai' (other world) manga/anime (tremendously popular at the moment), and it follows one of the standard conventions of the sub-genre - 'regular' person goes to/is trapped in/is reborn in another world, where he (almost always he) is spectacularly powerful. 'Slime' goes all in on this concept only in so far as 'Rimuru' is spect
Dakota
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed this comic. From a light novel, the story is about this guy who got reincarnated into a slime. funny and enjoyable. on to vol 2
Nicholas Driscoll
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I bought the first volume of this manga because Delicious in Dungeon volume 3 was canceled, much to my chagrin. (I will just have to buy the rest in Japanese.) This comic features some dude who gets reincarnated into a video game, I guess, and in the body of a slime no less. He then proceeds to blunder his way into becoming a super powerful monster with an army who can basically do anything because by some coincidence he always has just the right ability to solve every crisis he comes across. Oh ...more
Selena
This was fun. This was quirky and silly and fun. And surprisingly well put together.

It's an isekai series, but it seems more like a parody than it seems to be playing the genre straight. This guy gets reincarnated as the wimpiest of generic monsters, a slime. With his human brains and helpful voice in his head, he's able to take advantage of his slime abilities to become too crazy powerful. There's some genre-savviness too, which adds to the fun.

Is it good? Maybe, maybe n
Jill Kenna
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a cute book! I can't wait to read volume two!
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who'd have thought a manga with a main character as a slime could be so interesting and so well drawn? And who would have thought I'd love goblins so much (although the tempest wolves are my #1) by the end?
Very excited for number 2!
Mike
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Light entertainment.

Review: https://derailmentsofthought.com/2018...
Kelly K
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, manga
I was expecting this to be quirky and hilarious but I ended up just finding it odd.
Alisha Tarran
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the synopsis says, the slime isn't exactly the most badass monster, so despite this being yet another reincarnated in another world manga...I was curious by this potentially interesting twist. I was hoping it would make this stand out from the sea of similar novels, and I really do think it does. There are so many similar books recently, someone gets reincarnated in another world, they end up being a hero or a badass or something...but our main character is a slime and that's both hilarious a ...more
Doc
This series is rated Older Teen due to some violence, strong language, and the amazing power of a charismatic slime and his temporary harem of elven woman that want him (you'll have to read to see how.)

37 Year old Satoru Mikami is your average salary-man but after sacrificing himself by saving his co-worker he finds himself not quite dead. Rather he discovers that he is not quite himself as he has been reincarnated as a slime but he has retained his memories from his previous life. J
Teresa
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book begins instantly with a business man names Satoru Mikami who dies defending a coworker. He is then reincarnated on another world as a slime monster, hence the title. As he beginning to learn more and more about his new body and its abilities, he learns that he can be quite the powerful creature. After befriending a dragon and ultimately absorbing the dragon, balance in the world shifts. With goblins, wolves, dwarves, and humans, Satoru--now Rimuru Tempest--helps those he can and is see ...more
Jenna
10/19
Recently reread and still enjoyed the world building and the hijinks, even as it does become more serious. Our slime is quite overpowered...

2/17
Read up to chapter 20. It was silly, logical (in a fantasy MMO gaming sort of sense), and a pleasant read. It has an entertaining MC who dies and is reincarnated as a slime. He's a gentleman in action, if not always in thought, and much less sleazy than his counterpart in Re:Monster (view spoiler)10/19

2/17
Read up to chapter 20. It was silly, logical (in a fantasy MMO gaming sort of sense), and a pleasant read. It has an entertaining MC who dies and is reincarnated as a slime. He's a gentleman in action, if not always in thought, and much less sleazy than his counterpart in Re:Monster (view spoiler).

Nice enough drawing style but nothing to shout about. The action scenes are well portrayed and they do manage to make a mob monster an entertaining and intimidating hero. Will be continuing!
rachel d dawson
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hmmm...

This book is quite entertaining. I wasn't going to read it at first due to other releases, but I am glad I pursued.
There is not much plot at the moment at the result of this focusing on the introduction, but the world it sets up has much potential.
If you like a good fantasy rpg with a protagonist that is lackadaisical, along with a hilarious dragon, do yourself a favor and pick this one up.
Schnekk
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really enjoying the comparative depth of manga based on novels. It feels like we've seen an increase in these titles lately in the English language market, but that may also be a result of more of these titles being published and gaining popularity in the Japanese market as well.

I also feel like there's a trend in ridiculously long titles (things like "Is it wrong to try to pick up girls in a dungeon?"), and for whatever reason these titles so far have not given me a great impression of the
Daniel
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-novel, fantasy
Paul Spence
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
The first thing you'll notice about volume 1 of That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime is the monstrous size of the manga. The manga itself is over 200 pages long and then has a bonus light novel short story at the end.

The story is a very fun take on being stuck in another world genre. Satoru Mikami through a tragic event winds up in fantasy world. Only instead of being turned into some legendary hero he ends being a slime the weakest of monsters. Though that's not to say he doesn't
Dalek645
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are many stories where average people get transported into a magical land and have amazingly strong powers to help them, but what if in order to have all these powers you had to be a slime for the rest of your life? "That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime" by Mitz Vah is a novel that gives the before mentioned fantasy tropes a little twist to them. The story has many fantastic scenes of imagery, the most notable times being when Rimuru decided to use his more powerful abilities during his ...more
Stefanie
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, manga
I loved this. Should I have? Maybe not as much as I did.

If you ever have played an JRPG, you know exactly what you will get. Except, the MC is a slime - that enemy that you start defeating when you are at level 0. Not an elf, dwarf of what-have-you. AND he defeats everyone. Easily. He didn't have to grind at all. And treated Everything as a game - for him, it is one.

Yes, it's predictable. Yes, it's sexist in parts. Yes, he is overpowered. Yes, the plot could be better, more fleshed
G.D. Cruz
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Being the very first light novel I've ever read, I have to say I was very impressed with the world building and the interesting characters of That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime.

Rimuru is hilariously funny and completely endearing and doesn't at all feel like the middle aged man he was before turning into a slime. I honestly, didn't think a slime would ever be such an interesring protagonist.

The world of Slime is your typical fantasy setting combined with gamer elements that at times feels
Cassie
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
So I watched the first season of the anime on a whim before ever really knowing there was a manga behind it. First impression: IT WAS WEIRD. I know anime in general can be weird, but this series seemed to take it to another level right out the gate. I watched the first few episodes with a friend and we found ourselves just bursting out in giggles every other scene.
I don't have much experience with this type of anime/manga. I usually stick with shonen exclusively. But this series hit a chor
John Beliveau
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
Reincarnated as a Slime as of how much is out now, is a decent Isekai series with just about the same concept as Re:Monster where a kirby-like seemingly underdog character reincarnates in a fantasy world as a weak monster and quickly works their way up with a combination of plot armor and their completely over powered ability. It's enjoyable to read if you don't over-analyze it but in terms of critiques, it's severely lacking. What it does currently have is a lot of potential and good art, so we ...more
Zombieslayer/Alienhunter {and so on}

(read it in song and you lose)

Jokey review I wrote on Amazon ('cause I was prompted to) 'cause this book is... Kind of a joke. But if you liked it, might I also recommend The Devil is a Part-Timer Light Novel, Vol. 1 ?

Kat Agapow
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the manga adaptation of the light novel, it’s light hearted and funny while still having some good meat to the story and some serious moments when needed. The characters so far feel alive and are very entertaining. Rimuru is makes a great protagonist and I love hearing/reading Veldora’s perspective on the story at the end of the manga. Art style is a bit rough and yet elegant at the same time. This series definitely has you wanting more!
Armando
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another isekai manga in the genre. This one involves an office worker and he dies early one saving someone from an accident and is born in a new world as a slime.

Most people in the new world look down on him but he grinds up to become a main character, and it's pretty interesting and funny overall. He has a good outlook, and this is the very start of his journey.

He is still not so sure of his own purpose in the world, but I'm sure he will have many adventures ahead of him
Mona Loise
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, fantasy, 2019
I just finished watching the Anime (currently only season 1) and I knew I just had to read the manga. Turns out it was originally a light novel, so I went for that instead. I wasn't disappointed at all! The anime was very true enough with its adaptation, but of course there will always be some missed details here and there so I'm glad I started from volume 1, rather than starting where the anime ended.
Adam Windsor
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, 2019, sf-fantasy
A 37-year old salaryman dies and (for reasons not yet disclosed) is reincarnated in some kind of ersatz 'world of Warcraft' as a slime. Which is basically like being a self-aware glob of mucus the size of a basketball. Having lucked into a surprisingly useful group of abilities thanks to his disjointed dying thoughts, he stumbles into a series of wacky adventures. It's very light but fun stuff.
Paolo Zanella
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good art, with well drawn monsters in a Japanese take of the usual imagery of role playing games. The main character is really original (and that's really rare in the current trend of stock fantasy), even if a bit overpowered in my opinion (it is never really in danger). The humanoids are varied enough to be distinguishable and that's not a given in mangas.
I will surely keep reading it.
Kathy
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy, graphicnovel
Translated from the Japanese, this reads like a D&D or video game. The way it reads, slime monsters are the least respected kind of monsters, but if they acquire the power of anything they eat, Rimuru makes them seem pretty darn powerful! It made his experiences little too easy, therefore it's a very light read
Phil
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly, I enjoyed this book a lot. It has a silly concept, but the execution is fantastic. I like that some aspects are based on video games and how that is incorporated into the story as a whole. My only real complaint is that I'm not really sure what the point of the book is supposed to be. I didn't let that get in the way though because there is a lot of fun to be had here.
« previous 1 3 next »
Shounen Manga Boo...: That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime 3 14 Aug 30, 2018 02:31PM

• The Rising of the Shield Hero, Volume 2: The Manga Companion
  • So I'm a Spider, So What?, Vol. 1 (manga)
  • The Rising of the Shield Hero, Volume 1: The Manga Companion
  • So I'm a Spider, So What?, Vol. 2 (manga)
  • The Rising of the Shield Hero, Volume 4: The Manga Companion
  • The Rising of the Shield Hero, Volume 5: The Manga Companion
  • The Rising of the Shield Hero Volume 7: The Manga Companion
  • The Rising of the Shield Hero, Volume 3: The Manga Companion (Graphic Novel)
  • So I'm a Spider, So What?, Vol. 3 (manga)
  • The Rising of the Shield Hero, Volume 6: The Manga Companion
  • Goblin Slayer, Vol. 1 (Goblin Slayer Manga, #1)
  • Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest, Vol. 1 (Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest Manga, #1)
  • The Rising of the Shield Hero, Volume 8: The Manga Companion
  • So I'm a Spider, So What?, Vol. 4 (manga)
  • Overlord, Vol. 1 (manga) (Overlord, #1)
  • かくりよの宿飯 あやかしお宿に嫁入りします。 3 [Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi: Ayakashi Oyado ni Yomeiri shimasu. 3] (Kakuriyo: Bed & Breakfast for Spirits, #3)
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 1
  • 炎炎ノ消防隊 01 [Enen no Shouboutai 1] (Fire Force, #1)
Name (in native language): 伏瀬

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (Manga) (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Vol. 2
  • 転生したらスライムだった件 7
  • That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime, Vol. 8
  • 転生したらスライムだった件 9
  • 転生したらスライムだった件 10
  • That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Vol. 11 (That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, #11)