Start by marking “The Festival of Trial and Ember (Faerie Festival #1)” as Want to Read:
The Festival of Trial and Ember (Faerie Festival #1)

The Festival of Trial and Ember

(Faerie Festival #1)

A dangerous summer festival. A throne left empty. A forgotten world of faeries in a time of shadow and treason.

Roisín, seventeen years old, is biding her time till graduation. When the shadows around her come to life, she discovers no one else can see these strange creatures except her and her brother.

Desperate for answers, she embarks on a journey into the Otherworld -- a
Published September 27th 2017 by Touchwood Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Festival of Trial and Ember, please sign up.
Logan Miehl Hey Liv! As a movie I would rate The Festival of Trail and Ember as a PG-13 because of the mild violence and language, as well as the clean but…moreHey Liv! As a movie I would rate The Festival of Trail and Ember as a PG-13 because of the mild violence and language, as well as the clean but semi-mature romance.
I hope that answers your question. If you want a more thorough breakdown (including details that would spoil the story for those who haven't read it) just let me know and I'll send you a message. Thank you!(less)

Start your review of The Festival of Trial and Ember (Faerie Festival #1)
Angela (Pooled Ink Reviews)
pooled ink Reviews:
3.5 Stars

I'm not the biggest fan of the main character but the story was certainly exciting!

The Festival of Trial and Ember is a tale of adventure, love, darkness, and endurance and is certainly a time Rosín and Darren will never forget as they’re whisked away to a land of enchantment ruled by the fae. Everything they once believed is torn away as they face creatures from nightmares and dreams holding their fate in their trickster hands. Exciting, vibrant, fun, this book is
Stephanie BwaBwa
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal read! The story of Roisin, as she not only discovers the world of fae, but in turn, who she really is, is enthralling from start to finish.

The story is riveting and weaves its way through your heart as Roisin lays everything on the line for love, freedom, and vindication!

A powerful story of facing your inner demons, never underestimating yourself, and choosing to fall in love, is detailed throughout this beautiful tale.

I loved this read, flying through it in mere days. I can’t wait
Liz Marie✨
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just an amazing story!! We can see how the main character is presented with several obstacles where, like a heroine, she accepts her defeats and her victories. She did grow as a character. Her love for her brother give her the strength to overcome all the obstacles presented. Great world building and side characters who hopefully would continue to develop in the book to come.

Can't wait for book 2 to come out to see where the story would take us.
Brooke
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I flew through this book! I don't know much about Celtic myths or faeries, but I found this book extremely interesting and the characters super engaging! I can't wait to read the next book!!!
Marie McWilliams
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book follows a familiar format: a young teenage girl, thrust into a world she did not know existed, fighting for survival. This template has been tried and tested, and let’s face it, it works. You see the fairies and their world for the first time, through the main character’s eyes, and you learn about their ways as she does. The premise is introduced really well, with the action starting almost immediately, and I found myself gripped from the first page. It builds well, and contains the ...more
Lana
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love reading about the realm of faerie and this book gave us a very thrilling adventure in the realm of the seelie court but what was more impressive is that this book is about two human sibling orphans, Roisin and Darren who have been shuttled from one foster home to another till they were finally homed in separate homes. Roisin is older than Darren hence feels responsible for him and loves him with all she has, so when they start to be hounded by an evil sluagh Roisin goes crazy trying to ...more
theangrygoblin
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in a giveaway hosted by the author herself. I was immediately drawn based simply on the words “Celtic” and “faery”. I wasn’t disappointed.

It was a fun read. I enjoyed the characters and the setting, the use of Gaelic phrases and Irish names. It FELT Celtic, something which I find is sadly lacking in many fae themed novels. I quite liked Róisín, the heroine of the story. She was so dry and sarcastic and refreshingly determined and smart while remaining believable. Her love
Olivia Clark
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great mixture of mythology and fairies.

This was a very good read. It’s very simple and quick, and the ending leaves you wondering what will come next. My only criticism would be the minor grammar mistakes that peppered the book, and that some of the relationships with the main character and the side characters seemed a bit forced and rushed at time. I felt some of the chapters ended at odd places, where there could have been more and had gaps filled, but it was still a very good book and I can
Allyson Taylor
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating 4.5 Stars
Thoroughly enjoyed this novel. The premise, folklore, and content is right up my alley. Perfect for fans of ACOTAR or Whims of the Fae. I do wish there was much more detail of well, everything though. Some scenes felt rushed or just I would have loved more time and interactions with some sets of characters. Overall really good novel and I'm interested to see where the next one leads and if the author has had more time to flesh it all out.
Natasha Clark-French
This book had some really good elements but I spent most of my time disliking the main character and wishing the other characters had more depth. I suppose my expectations were high because of all the great reviews but I just didn't connect with it the way I had hoped. I don't think I'll continue this series, although it didn't better near the end.
Skye
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this enchanting read. The author created not only a gorgeous magical world, but also some pretty gorgeous, magical characters as well! I loved the tension between characters. Roisin, the protagonist was such a delight to follow. The story had some plot twists I was not expecting which was really entertaining and left me wanting more at the end! Can’t wait for book two!
Sally Maxwell
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Surprising

I enjoyed this story, towards the end I thought I had guessed the twist only to be surprised and shocked by it, look forward to the second instalment.
Stella (stellasbookishworld)
it was a great read! I want more!!
Jessica
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I picked up The Festival of Trial and Ember without knowing anything about it (yep, totally picked it up based on its cover), and I'm really glad that I did! At first I wasn't really sure how much I would like Róisín, but by the end of the book I absolutely loved her. The story grabbed me right away, the mythology of the world was interesting, and all of the characters were really well written. I can't wait to learn more about the Otherworld in book 2!
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I enjoyed this tale of elves and magic. It's a departure from others I have read, and the world building is pretty good. This is a tale of an elf kingdom where all is not well, and human children who can see otherworldly creatures that no one else can see. It's a fun and engaging read, and I will look forward to the next in the series.
Eva
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: not-bad
2.5/5
This book had a lot of good ideas in it, and I enjoyed reading it. The characters were enjoyable, and I appreciated the brother-sister relationship Roisin and Darren had. However, the characters were a bit underdeveloped, and in the first two chapters the author switched between past, and present tense, which was weird. The whole (view spoiler) The story
Elin
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Thrilling and engaging, I found this book to be everything I want from a YA fantasy - fast-paced, life and death danger, a love story, and a feisty, slightly messed up main character.
Kim
Dec 02, 2018
Amanda Linsmeier
Aug 29, 2019
Bronwyn
rated it did not like it
Mar 13, 2019
Jan 10, 2018
Kaylee
Dec 18, 2018

• Undead Girl Gang
  • The Broken Crown (Narrow Gate, #1)
  • The Divided Nation (The Infidel Books, #1)
  • The Rakshasa's Bride
  • Beast
  • Blood Traitor
  • Sand and Storm
  • Lady of Weeds (Lady #2)
  • Curse and Consequence (The Whitby Tales Book 1)
  • Communion Wine in a Shot Glass
  • Oliver Invictus (Annals of Altair Book 3)
  • Blood in the Snow
  • Nursing Adeleine
  • The Sentinel's Alliance (Silent Sea Chronicles, #3)
  • Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4)
  • Keep This to Yourself
  • Seduce Me at Sunrise (The Hathaways, #2)
  • Playing with Monsters (Playing with Monsters, #1)
If I'm not writing, you can usually find me adventuring in the mountains with my husband. Or very possibly hiding somewhere with a good book. I also have a tendency to eat too much ice cream, love every small animal, and wear a lot of green.

Faerie Festival (2 books)
  • The Festival of Vision and Fire (Faerie Festival Series Book 2)