Start by marking “Geek Ink: The World's Smartest Tattoos for Rebels, Nerds, Scientists, and Intellectuals” as Want to Read:

Exhibiting cutting-edge designs from the most sought-after and acclaimed contemporary tattoo artists worldwide, Geek Ink presents magnificent ideas for tattoos on themes from science fiction and fantasy, as well as a wide range of topics across science, mathematics, literature, and philosophy.

With commentary from creators of the Inkstinct project--which connects people wi
Published March 20th 2018 by Race Point Publishing (first published March 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Geek Ink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Geek Ink

Start your review of Geek Ink: The World's Smartest Tattoos for Rebels, Nerds, Scientists, and Intellectuals
Tara
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Tara by: Claudia
Geek Ink is a collection of photographs of tattoos, with designs that range from the science-inspired all the way to artwork based on Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Star Wars, and other “geeky” movies and television shows. This book is divided into two distinct parts. The first part briefly acquaints the reader with 25 fairly eminent tattoo artists, and presents quite a few pictures of their work. The second part is a general photo gallery, which is organized by subject matter.

While many of t
Heidi The Reader
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Geek Ink is a fairly representative book of "geek" culture tattoos with brief biographies of some of the tattoo artists.

I have to say though, there were far more Star Wars ideas in here than Star Trek. In that particular showdown, the Trekkies were not representing. I know there are major fans of the Star Trek franchise out there... where are you guys?! Not getting tattoos, I guess.

I was also disappointed in their collection of literary tattoos. Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and The Little Pri
Claudia
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
“May the ink be with you…”

Tattoos have always fascinated me. I used to watch every episode of Miami Ink, amazed by their skills. I particularly liked Chris Garver’s and Kat Von D’ stunning portraits. I also follow few others on Facebook - their creations are always a pleasure to contemplate.

This album includes well renowned artists, some of which I knew, others new to me. They were chosen for their unique tattooing style and thinking-out-of-the-box works. They are part of Inkstinct, first pr
Schizanthus Nerd
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
My first tattoo was a prize from a cereal box. I’ve been fascinated by tattoos ever since. The main reason I don’t actually have one is because I change my mind so frequently about the designs that I love. I do have a pretty extensive collection of temporary tattoos though, so I get to change my mind and designs every week.

I love the idea of this book. The first part features the work of twenty-five tattoo artists from around the world. The second part showcases tattoos grouped by theme. They’re
Molly
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, netgalley, art
A really lovely collection of designs from several talented contemporary tattoo artists, spanning the globe. Most of the designs are "geek" themed - math, science, and nerdy pop culture references abound. The photos are very well reproduced and clearly credited, which is something I have found lacking in a lot of other art books. Definitely a must-read for nerdy tattoo enthusiasts and artists everywhere.

I received access to this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Sharon Tyler
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Geek Ink: The World's Smartest Tattoos for Rebels, Nerds, Scientists, and Intellectuals from the Creators of inkstinct offers readers a look at some cutting-edge designs from some of the most sought-after and acclaimed contemporary tattoo artists worldwide. These tattoo ideas feature themes from science fiction and fantasy, as well as a wide range of topics across science, mathematics, literature, and philosophy. It also includes commentary from creators of the Inkstinct project (which connects ...more
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
I love tattoos and while I only have one, I've been considering the acquisition of another for quite a while. I'd love to celebrate my love of literature in the form of a tattoo, but can never settle on a quote or image I love enough to have inked on my body. So it was with high hopes that I picked up a copy of Geek Ink by the creators of Inkstinct.

As the title suggests, it's full of The World's Smartest Tattoos for Rebels, Nerds, Scientists and Intellectuals, so I thought it'd be right up my al
Bunny
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, read-in-18
Received via Netgalley in exchange for a fair and unbiased review.

My biggest warning to anyone looking to read this book is, beware the environment around you while reading. You may find you are muttering to yourself, and certain phrases, such as "Holy shit", "Jesus H Christ", "What the f...", can and do often offend certain persons.

I don't know that I would feel comfortable calling this a collection of geek ink. Though, to be fair, anyone can geek out about anything, it doesn't just have to be
Anna
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Every once in a while I think I should get a tattoo but I can never decide what or where I want so I suppose it'll be another 30 years before I make up my mind. Unless I get a chance to meet any of the artists whose works printed in "Geek Ink" made me go WOOOOOOOOOW.

Sure, not all of the tattoo artists featured in "Geek Ink" made an impression, not everything appealed to me. But a lot of the photographed tattoos made me want to print them and run to the nearest tattoo studio. Luckily, it was too
Jeimy
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is an amazing compendium of artists and their work. I love how it includes the artists' social media handles and websites. This is a treat for the eyes--even my students were drooling over some of the tattoos--that will give readers an excuse to travel the world and get inked.
Kris
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a beautiful book, and the artists featured are impressive, but it is a misleading title. There are large sections devoted to flower and animal tattoos, which, while lovely, are not geeky. There is an absolutely amazing artist, Pissarro, who creates stunning floral works that I would cover my body with, but they aren’t geeky.
Beth
An interesting look at unique tattoos and artists, showcasing a variety of styles (watercolor, black ink, line work, etc.). I was hoping for more variety in subject matter, but there seemed to be a lot of the same things among all the artists (lots of Harry Potter, Star Wars, space, flowers and anime). It would've been cool to zoom out on some of the photos as well, in order to show the placement of the tattoos.

*Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC, provided by the author and/or the publisher in exch
Kristal
Apr 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
I was really hoping this would inspire me with ideas for the tattoo I want to get. It didn't. While all tattoos in the book are beautiful, they weren't as nerdy as the book claims. And a lot of the designs were very similar to each other even though the were done by different artists.
Stella
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really amazing photography and artwork. Read this right after reading Science Ink: Tattoos of the Science Obsessed by Carl Zimmer. That one was more science focused, this has science and nerdy pop cultural tattoos, too. This one is far superior both in the quality of the photography and the skill level of the tattoo artists featured, but the other one had more interesting articles about what the tattoos actually meant to the people who wore them. I got my two tattoos back when I was still religi ...more
Janet
I received a DIGITAL Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. From the publisher ---
Exhibiting cutting-edge designs from the most sought-after and acclaimed contemporary tattoo artists worldwide, Geek Ink presents magnificent ideas for tattoos on themes from science fiction and fantasy, as well as a wide range of topics across science, mathematics, literature, and philosophy.
With commentary from creators of the Inkstinct project--which connects people w
Nicole Byer
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy the idea behind this book. I'm a big nerd so I was looking forward to seeing all the tattoos inspired by my favorite books and movies. There were plenty of awesome tattoos inspired by Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, and Star Wars to be found here, but at times the book wandered off topic. Plants have no business in a geek themed book. Overall, it's a good book to look for some inspiration on your own tattoos if you want ones inspired by nerdy topics.
Ceci
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If this book doesn't make you want to run out and get under the ink, you're not a tattoo person. The days of "skulls" and "mom" are out, and personal ink is in!

These tattoos are a tribute to fan culture, science, animals, etc. It is a great book full of ideas for you to take and give to your artist to help you create something just as original. The ink addict in me is already marking pages for my next visit!
Elizabeth Seals
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book gives you short biographies of some tattoo artists around the world while also showing a wonderful assortment of tattoo's that the artists have completed. Each artist has their own style whether it be geometric shapes or watercolor flowers. This book actually gave me a few ideas on what I would want for a tattoo, especially style-wise. So I would recommend this for anyone that is thinking about getting a tattoo.
Elizabeth
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
This is mostly an image gallery- I think I wanted it to be less about the artists (there is a small blurb in a small section about the highlighted artists) and more about the tattoos- maybe even a bit about the history of tattooing, the stories behind the tattoos included in the book, etc. Don't get me wrong, these tattoos are absolutely stunning and these artists are incredibly talented- it just wasn't what I was expecting for a book called Geek Ink.
Tony Stephens
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So I have a few books like this including science ink. This book has some great illustrations that give some great ideas if you are looking for a tattoo. Some of the line and colour work is amazing. A great reference/coffee table book.
Courtney
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
A directory of tattoo artists who have unique techniques and whose subjects revolve around 'geeky' themes. There's some great pictures and possible ideas, it's pretty light on details about the featured artists though and you're left feeling that perhaps this could have been so much more.
Meghan Davis strader
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun and beautiful book full of interesting tattoos.
Christy
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great inspo for the tattoo I've been thinking of getting!
Desarae Lee
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book. The pictures are well-reproduced and the artists are kick-ass. Aside from a few typos here and there, I have no complaints. Now I want all the tattoos.
Kerry
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful works of art and the ones of the Fauno were amazingly done!
Olivia Ambrose
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
SO COOL! Really makes me want a tattoo!!!
Kimberly King
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very interesting tattoo designs! These tattoo artists are very talented!
映月 刘
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Opened my eyes of the tattoo world
Lydia Timpson
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was fascinating. I don't have tattoos but I have always been intrigued by them and wondered what I would get if I had one. This book gave a plethora of fantastic ideas for the geeky, nerdy and truly weird. I loved seeing the artists distinctive styles and loved the idea of including the social media accounts of the artists, so you could see more of each artist’s work.
I'd recommend it both from a tattoo point of view but also from an art lover's point of view.
Leyla Johnson
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I do not have any tattoos but that certainly does not stop me from admiring the beautiful artwork that this artist of ink have produced for this book.. The book is well illustrated and beautifully photographed and there is a short précis of each artist at the end of the book - which makes for interesting reading. A lovely book for anyone interested in graphic art
Goodreads Librari...: Please update cover 5 26 Feb 05, 2018 12:57PM
Goodreads Librari...: Update author 5 24 Feb 02, 2018 01:32PM

• The Loop
  • Mystical Places
  • Creatures of Will and Temper (Diabolist's Library #1)
  • Fancy AF Cocktails: Drink Recipes from a Couple of Professional Drinkers
  • The Golden Ass
  • More Tales of the City (Tales of the City, #2)
  • Masks of Misrule: The Horned God & His Cult in Europe
  • Meetings with Remarkable Manuscripts
  • Embrace Your Weird: Face Your Fears and Unleash Creativity
  • Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm
  • Book Love
  • JOMO: Celebrate the Joy of Missing Out!
  • Are You Listening?
  • Witchy
  • Art Matters
  • Instructions
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Bad Girls