Start by marking “The Unexpected Santa (The Sin Bin, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Unexpected Santa (The Sin Bin, #5)

The Unexpected Santa

(The Sin Bin #5)

When a rugby bad boy butts heads with a retired Marine, which alpha male becomes top dog?

Scottie Monk came out of the womb angry at the world. He's selfish and bitter. "Bah humbug!" rolls off his tongue far easier than "Happy Christmas."

Gray Baird has dedicated his life to public service as a Marine Corps officer and later as a police chief. The decorated hero finds it imp
ebook
Published November 11th 2017 by Hot Tree Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Unexpected Santa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unexpected Santa

Kirk
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, m-m-romance
I was so excited when I got this book for read this book as I absolutely love the Sin Bin series. It was great to be back in Wales with this great group of characters and I was so looking forward to hearing about Scottie Monk, the ex-rugby player; he’s so angry at the world and quick-tempered and boy does he need someone to stand up to him and put him in his place. In steps Gray Baird, ex-military and ex-police chief, he’s solid, takes no nonsense and might just be what Scottie needs.

I was chuck
Kaye
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An appetiser

I hadn't anticipated Gray's background or just how awful Scottie's was but they are kindred spirits.

It will be interesting to see how Scottie takes to submission.

They may have had Christmas dinner but I'm the one who's still hungry.
Emma Jaye
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The start of a story rather than the full thing, but I forgave the author due to the bolshie Scottie. Loved his f-bomb first and think later attitude, and that it didn't deter Grey from pursuing him. Looking forward to exploring this dynamic further.
Cat
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Fun Holiday Tease

Since I utterly fell in love with this author when I read the previous book in this series, The Royal Marine, I reached out with eager grabby hands to get hold of this one, as well! Let me start by saying that while this is a holiday short, you do need to have read The Royal Marine at the very least for it to make sense, as the characters are assumed to be known and the background info is either brief or absent altogether.

It’s Christmas, and Gray Baird has volunteered to wat
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
The Unexpected Santa is the fifth book in The Sin Bin series, and this story focuses on a particular holiday, which you can guess by the title. Scottie is one of the Sin Bin members that I have always had trouble warming up. He is brash, obnoxious, and is more than happy to throw his own pity party - drink included. With stalker tendencies, and an amazing ability to sulk when things don't go his way, I wasn't 100% sure about reading this book. However, after seeing how Gray dealt with him in Aka ...more
books are love
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a quick fun and sad read that has you hanging at the end and wanting more.

Scottie has a lot of issues that he tries to drink away. Gray is trying to forget things in his past as well thus the reason he is no longer in the states. Both guys are sweet and fun but Gray is more dominant and gets Scottie all tingly.

Here Gray is working to make Christmas a better one for Alex and Alice but also himself and Scottie. So he has a little Xmas celebration at his home. He shows us that you don’t nee
Kathy Wideman
This is the fifth book in this series and they should be read in order. This book focuses on the characters Scottie and Gray Baird during the Christmas holiday. Neither Scottie or Gray are big on the holidays. Scottie is being his usual self which is assholish. Gray seems to be the only one who can handle Scottie. Gray wants to give the twins a proper Christmas. He will do whatever he can to make sure the twins enjoy the holiday. He twists Scottie’s arm and gets him to celebrate as well. The two ...more
Melanie
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review

Rating 4.5 stars out of 5

For the full review visit https://wp.me/p220KL-cp1

From that review: The Unexpected Santa (The Sin Bin #5) by Dahlia Donovan is more like a prelude to the next story, a setup really,  to the much anticipated full blown clash that's coming between Scottie Monk and Gray Baird in The Lion Tamer.

However, taken within that context?  It's a wonderful anticipatory delight of a short story.  For all of the previous four novels, Scottie M
Ayla
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing

This short story held so many promises to come! We finally get to see Scottie's POV and we get further insight into both him and Gray. This was the perfect little teaser for the next book in the series where we really get to see Scott and Gray come together. It was sassy and sweet!

I want to add a note that I just love Alex and Alice. The twins are amazing side characters. It was super sweet to see Gray create a nice Christmas for them. For characters who do not make a big physical impa
Maria Vickers
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Unexpected Santa by Dahlia Donovan picks up where The Royal Marine leaves off, and I'm hoping that it is the beginning of something more. My only complaint about this book is that it has a HUGE cliffhanger. Fair warning. That said, it is a good in between book and gives you more insight into Scotty. On top of that, I think we got to know the twins a little more, and I have to say that I absolutely love them. They add something to the stories that cannot be found other places. And Gray Baird. ...more
Becky Baldridge
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having read The Royal Marine, I was familiar with Scottie and was looking forward to reading about the one to finally tame this contrary, not so likable man. Enter the silver fox, Gray, who is almost as cranky as Scottie, but is certainly persistent about what he wants - and may be exactly what Scottie needs. I loved Gray's interactions with the twins and how they grew on him, softening him up a bit for Christmas. The story is very fast paced and did hold my interest, but the biggest dr
Lisa
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5*

Scottie has been my least favourite character so far. However we get a sneak peak of what is to come for her and boy its going to be fun watching him fall!!

There is so much more to Scottie than we have seen so far and there comes an understanding as to why he is the way he is. The dominant Gray may just be what he needs even if he resists every attempt by Gray to assert his authority. Gray is still a bit of a mystery but this teaser has me excited for what's to come.

Loved this Christ
Amy
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I didn't read the description before I read this one, because I love the Sin Bin Series and I love the authors others works as well, so I jumped at the chance to read this book. The one book I haven't read of hers is The Royal Marine, which is the one it says to read before this, of course that's my luck! Even without having read that installment, I still enjoyed this short holiday read. I may not have known the entire history, but I knew some of the other characters mentioned from other Sin Bin ...more
Jenn's Book Obsession
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has been on my TBR list since it came out. The blurb itself is very intriguing. This book is a great quick introduction into Gray and Scottie's story. I liked how the author gives us a tease on what to expect between these two.

The characters are very well written. I certainly started off not liking Scottie because his whole attitude just sucks. Gray is very likeable from the start. However, both characters are very arrogant and stubborn.

Dahlia Donovan does a great job with the pace o
Claudia
Sep 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
You might say that it's my fault I didn't like this book since I totally ignored this was #5 in a series which I haven't read. So this might only be enjoyable if and only IF you have read the previous 4 installments. I wouldn't have minded if I didn't get the full picture but there wasn't a picture to begin with. This was like a poor sketch of a story. There's not even an ending. Nothing really happens and if my body should tingle by the mere possibility of a D/s relationship and the super macho ...more
RJ
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was thrilled to see in my inbox a new Sin Bin book had arrived! Love this author, the writing is so good and the characters are always enjoyable.

While reading it, I kept thinking, this is too short... I need more! Little did I realize until I hit the last page that it keeps you hanging. DYING now... will be waiting with bated breath for the next book.

I hate giving away spoilers, so I'll just say that if you enjoy M/M, if you love a good story, buy the books, you will be an instant fan. Start
Fran
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A disappointing read.

Maybe my mistake is not reading "The Royal Marine" first so I could be familiar with Scottie's character. My impression was that he was a complete drunken jerk. As for Gray Baird he just seemed to be only interested in self motivation; not helping either of them to overcome childhood angst. The ending wasn't even a HFN ending. It was so abrupt and left me wanting.
Reanna Hanley
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Unexpected Santa

I'm not sure what I expected but this wasn't it, don't take this wrong it was a great read but definitely too short! I NEED Scottie and Gray's story and this was just a tease!!! Unexpedcted, light, and interesting. If you haven't read the rest of the series I wouldn't recommend starting here but I would definitely recommend you start finding out about the Sin Bin!
Louan
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas-2018
3.5 ⭐
Definitely an appetizer before the main course, and you definitely had to read the previous book or books to understand all of what’s going on. Intriguing enough to make you want to find out how Grey actually gets Scottie to bend to his will. I was really happy they guys and the twins were able to have a pleasant Christmas together.
Lora
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 out of 5 stars

This was a quick read to introduce us to the relationship of Scottie and Grey. I enjoyed seeing how things started and really can't wait to finish their story with their novel, The Lion Tamer. I also liked how much they came to care about the twins in this book. Those two are some great sub-characters that deliver a lot of punch to the books!
Ken Cook
Introduction to the novel

The eBook I read was just the initial story setting introductory chapters. The two lead characters are introduced, the stage is set for the story to develop. Enough of a taste to intrigue, and either read the whole book, or, because of the style and voice of the author, start at the beginning of the series and meet the full"team".
Lala Albert
Jan 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Terrible. Both MCs were just horrible people. Scottie was a drunken contrarian. Gray Baird is some old dude who gets off on negging his potential conquests. No sex to be had on the page or off. Abrupt ending.

Utterly dismal.
Renee
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not gonna lie, when I saw it was only around 63 pages, I was disappointed because you can tell Scottie and Gray are both going to be complex characters and that’s not near enough time for their story. Sooooooo glad to see that there’s more and I can’t wait to read it!
Gail
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the story line, but didn't realize it would leave off as a cliffhanger. Wanted to see how it ended, not have to wait. Unsure if I will get the next that gives the togetherness.
Lisa Arrington
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

This was my first Sin Bin read and certainly not my last. Gray is delightfully delicious and Scottie is all sexy smolder, can't wait to see how these two work things out.
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2017
Milo Baumgartner
Feb 04, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dahlia Donovan wrote her first romance series after a crazy dream about shifters and damsels in distress. She prefers irreverent humour and unconventional characters. An autistic and occasional hermit, her life wouldn’t be complete without her husband and her massive collection of books and video games.

The Sin Bin (7 books)
  • The Wanderer (The Sin Bin, #1)
  • The Caretaker (The Sin Bin, #2)
  • The Botanist (The Sin Bin, #3)
  • The Royal Marine (The Sin Bin, #4)
  • The Lion Tamer (The Sin Bin, #6)
  • Haka Ever After (The Sin Bin, #7)