Start by marking “Ayesha At Last” as Want to Read:
Ayesha At Last

Ayesha At Last

Pride and Prejudice with a modern twist

AYESHA SHAMSI has a lot going on.  Her dreams of being a poet have been set aside for a teaching job so she can pay off her debts to her wealthy uncle. She lives with her boisterous Muslim family and is always being reminded that her flighty younger cousin, Hafsa, is close to rejecting her one hundredth marriage proposal. Though Ay
Published June 12th 2018 by HarperCollins Publishers

Win a Copy of This Book

Ayesha at Last
    Release date: Jun 04, 2019
    A modern-day Muslim Pride and Prejudice for a new generation of love.

Ayesha Shamsi has a lot going on. Her dreams of being a poet have been set aside

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 50 copies available, 31 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 22 - Mar 08, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Ayesha At Last, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ayesha At Last

Erin
    Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: books-i-own
    Because while it is a truth universally acknowledged that a single Muslim man must be in want of a wife, there's an even greater truth:To his Indian mother, his own inclinations are of secondary importance.
    All the stars for this debut Canadian author! Ayesha at Last was without a doubt my most anticipated 2018 release. Come on, a modern P&P set in Toronto and featuring two Muslim characters. It was absolutely perfect and I was all too sorry when it was finished. The characters(main and seco
    Fatma
    AN OWNVOICES STORY ABOUT A MUSLIM WOMAN IN TORONTO THATS ALSO A PRIDE AND PREJUDICE RETELLING ????? THIS BOOK IS EVERYTHING IVE EVER WANTED + IS PROBABLY ABOUT TO BE THE MOST RELATABLE THING IVE EVER READ

needless to say, i am EXCITED AS HELL
    S.K. K. Ali
    Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    I had the opportunity to read this adorable book before it releases to the world!

World, you are in for a treat!

FRTC
    Emma
    Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it

3.75/5 stars

When I saw that this book was a Pride and Prejudice retelling featuring two Muslim characters living in Canada I knew I had to read it. I'm always up for a nice retelling with some good representation.
    This novel did not feel like a debut at all, the author Uzma Jalaluddin really did a good job, I was quite impressed.
    I must say I struggled a bit in the first third of the book. I think i
    Fafa's Book Corner
    Mini review:

DNF

GR Ultimate Summer Reading Challenge: Diversify Yourself.

When I heard about this book I was really excited! Unfortunately I didn't care for it.

As a Pride and Prejudice retelling I felt this was really strong at. I wasn't invested and didn't care much for the characters.

Regardless I still high recommend. It just wasn't for me.
    alexis
    Simply the best Pride and Prejudice Retelling...

Ayesha At Last is without a doubt my favorite Jane Austen retelling. In fact, it’s the first P&P retelling that broke 5 stars for me. Uzma Jalaluddin has done what no one else has been able to. Ayesha At Last is the poster child of what all other Retellings should be: familiar yet surprising, classic yet modern, and completely able to stand in their own right.

I loved the modernizations like Ayesha directing slam poetry at Khalid as a reference
    Sonica
    Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Thank you Harper Collins for my copy of this smart and funny modern retelling of, one of my favorite classics – Pride & Prejudice, with a cultural twist.

After meeting the author at a recent event hosted by the publisher, I could not wait to dive into this one.

I adored this book!

I still can’t get over that this is a debut novel for this author. Her writing style was so genuine and easy to follow. She portrayed the many challenges faced by immigrants today in a way that keeps you engaged and n
    Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
    1/23/19
    One of my goals of 2019 was to read a wider variety of book i.e. non-YA/Fantasy. So I am happy I got approved for an ARC of this, but again also kind of anxious because already one book behind on my reading goal. SEND HELP! Lol
    nick

4.5/5

THE SOFTEST PUREST P&P RETELLING I HAVE EVER READ! My soul has been cleansed by Ayesha! <3 <3 <3

RTC
    Vicky Who Reads
    Okay, so I enjoyed this but I also think it kinda hopped around the different plot points a lot more than I expected? There was just so much going on. But it was a pretty good read!
    Jennie Shaw
    Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Oh my heart ahhhhhhhhh *sobs*

Such a fabulous nod to Pride and Prejudice, with lots of awesome Muslim and Canadian additions. Phenomenal writing, a heap of sub-plots, and an ending that had me tearing up. Love, love, LOVE.

One bazillion stars.
    Amanda Alice
    May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
    I'd give the first half of this book a solid 5 but the second half a 3, hence the 4-star review.

I liked most of the characters, but felt that into the second half of the novel some of the characters became far less interesting or unbelievable. Particularly Hafsa.

It was a page-turner throughout, but I do wish some of the plot points were reached in a slightly different way. I don't want to reveal spoilers so I'll simply say I wasn't a fan of Khalid's meeting with Sheila at the end. The one othe
    Jaclyn
    Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Oh. My. God. This book. I zipped through it in a day, fell completely in love with all the characters, and already I want to read it again and tell all my friends to read it to. (Read this book!)
    Liz Mc2
    Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: fiction, romance
    A Pride and Prejudice re-telling set in Scarborough, ON in a South Asian Muslim community. A lot of Austen’s themes adapt well to this setting, as Jalaluddin’s 20-something characters struggle with where to fit themselves between cultures, wrestling with questions of what makes a good marriage, what duty you owe your family, what makes a gentleman/lady (or good man/good woman). Ayesha and Khalid are appealing characters.

There are a lot of first book flaws, though, enough that I almost put this d
    Quressa Robinson
    Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This story was great. It's the kind of book you can easily devour in a day. Ayesha and her family were lovely, especially Nani and Nana. The romance is wonderful and the best kind of slow burn.

I also enjoyed the allusions to Pride and Prejudice. Many retellings get it wrong and make "Darcy" mean. Here, both Khalid and Ayesha had to grown and change. The both realized they were guilty of making assumptions based on initial impressions.

Even though this is a retelling, the story stands on its own.
    Sarah Lane
    Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Fantastic modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice. It stayed close enough to the original story that I caught the reference, but Jalaluddin kept her own voice/story throughout. I also learned a lot about the Muslim faith in the process which just added another layer to the story.

My husband compared it to Clueless in the sense that if you had read Emma and caught the references, great, and if you didn't, you still really enjoy the movie. I felt the same way about this book.
    Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Phenomenally good. Shout-it-from-the-rooftops good. It captures the spirit of P&P and makes it make sense in a new time, place, and context while playing with the reader's knowledge of the original.

Ayesha is smart and outspoken and passionate, a modern Lizzy Bennet. I love that we get Khalid (the Darcy counterpart) and his POV up front - he's not a mystery to us and we understand his motivations, even if Ayesha doesn't. And we get to see them banter and flirt and both realize that they're d
    Sarena Nanua
    Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    LOOOOVED this book. The drama, romance, writing—everything was so fleshed out! The book is a careful balance between adult and YA. It’s technically an adult novel and deals with some difficult themes like alcoholism, islamophobia, etc., but in a light and appropriate way. It’s what I would call a light + fun contemporary that hits on some great themes like arranged marriages, and handles them carefully and with humour! I also love how it’s set in Toronto/the GTA.

5/5 stars!
    Adiba Jaigirdar
    Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: arcs
    This was such a cute, lighthearted read! And I loved Ayesha - what a woman.

There were a few times when I found the plot/characters a little hard to believe, but none of it took away from my enjoyment of the book.

Full review soon!!
    Anum Shaharyar
    Certain stories, it seems, will never stop being adapted, either into other genres and settings, or on to various mediums. One such versatile tale is Jane Austen’s 1813 novel Pride and Prejudice. From a British miniseries to a Bollywood adaptation (Bride and Prejudice) and even an online vlog (The Lizzie Bennet Diaries), it has also crossed genres from the detective (Death Comes to Pemberly by P.D. James) to the undead (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies) and has been a popular base for modern nove ...more
    Kate
    Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This was a charming novel. I was delighted that it was set primarily in a Canadian Muslim community. The characters were well drawn and showed the range of attitudes and perspectives on faith and life that you would expect in any community. A valuable book. Truly Austeneque in that it offered a glimpse into select quotidian moments of the characters. A great read and I totally recommend it if you'd like to learn more about this community or just want a fun novel that has lots of great characters ...more
    Feyza Doksanbir
    Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Yes! This is exactly it! All I’ve been looking for in a novel that claims to represent Muslims.
    This novel was phenomenal! And to think it is a debut novel? Incredibly! I was practically glued to the pages! I’ll be waiting (not so) patiently for any other work this author comes out with.

First of all, one of the things I enjoyed a great deal was the usage of our beloved prophets life as an example. An example would be explaining how Khadidja proposed to the prophet while she was 15 years older th
    Helen
    Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Completely charming, with a cast of sweet and funny characters, and a message about not judging other's actions - I just loved it!

Khalid is adorable, kind and honest and trying his best to make his mother happy even though he starts to have doubts about her approach to life and her restrictive views on how to be a Muslim. Ayehsa is intelligent and caring - her family allow her more freedom but she isn't sure what she wants to do with it.

When Ayesah and Khalid meet at the Bella lounge, Ayesha thi
    Kareena
    I have a lot of thoughts. So I may need to add more to this review later.

First off, a lot of people told me they didn’t enjoy the book, so I went in with low expectations.

Overall though, I thought it was a really fun, light read :)

Yes, I did want to strangle all the characters... but maybe me feeling that way was a good thing? *hmm* Guess the author did a good job making the characters get on my nerves.

I also had a lot of fun making the connections to Pride & Prejudice! Mr. Collins, Wickham
    Laurie Burns
    Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: canadian
    I really enjoyed this modern Muslim twist on Pride and Prejudice set in Ontario.
    Mai Huong
    Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    In truth, I find it difficult to speak coherently in your presence. Sometimes it is also hard to breathe.

oh dear, where do I even start.. I enjoyed this book so so so so so much <3 when I told my bf that I was reading a retelling of PaP, he was like "oMg wHy", but come on! this was like one of the best PaP retellings I've read!
    Our Ayesha (Elizabeth) and Khalid (Darcy) are Muslims living in Canada, struggling with pressure from their families and discriminations at work but still stay true t
    Jessica B.
    Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Heart full warm fuzzy sunshine. Literary cute aggression is totally a thing and this one takes it to another level. 🥰☺🤗 ...more
    Q. Muhammad
    Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: muslim-fic
    I plan to make a full video review. For now, I'll say I didn't love it nor did I hate it. I had some laughs, I was enveloped in the plot (read it all within 24 hours), and I did find it enjoyable, but there were also quite a few moments where I closed it in frustration. I really want to review this in a video so I'll save my comments for that, but over all, I wanted to give it a 2.75 but since that's not doable here I rounded up to a 3 star rating.

I definitely wouldn't class this as Islamic Fict
    Lubnaa
    I had my eye on this book the minute I found out that Ayesha At Last is a modern Canadian Muslim Pride and Prejudice retelling. It’s the debut book of Torontonian author, Uzma Jalaluddin, who adds her own little twists to the classic story. What I really liked about this book is that it felt original and unique even though it's a retelling. Sometimes the P&P elements were obvious, other times they weren't. It was fun reading the story on its own and as a retelling.

This book was relatable in
    Jillian Doherty
    Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Oh my goodness I adored this read!!

A brilliant combination of Jane Austen and warm Muslim family culture ~ A modern-day Pride and Prejudice set in a Muslim community in Toronto!

The protagonists, Ayesha and Khalid, are thoroughly enjoyable within their own story - but it wouldn't be the same without the ensemble cast of characters that brought this revival to vivid life.

Treat yourself, and experience this timeless story all over again!

Galley borrowed from the publisher.
    • Find Me (Cyclone, #3)
    • The Marriage Clock
    • A Prince on Paper (Reluctant Royals, #3)
    • The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
    • Six Metres of Pavement
    • Fauna
    • Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors
    • The Silent Duke (The 1797 Club, #4)
    • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
    • A Place Called No Homeland
    • The Austen Playbook (London Celebrities #4)
    • Best of Luck (Chance of a Lifetime, #3)
    • Sadie's Highlander (Highland Protector, #1)
    • Holding Still For As Long As Possible
    • Dangerous Alliance
    • Mr. Darcy's Bite (Darcy Bites #1)
    • The Key to Happily Ever After
    • The Dark Fantastic: Race and the Imagination from Harry Potter to the Hunger Games
    Hello and welcome! I am the author of the diverse romantic comedy, AYESHA AT LAST (published by HarperCollins in June 2018). My debut novel is a Pride and Prejudice reboot, set in a close knit Toronto Muslim community and inside a boisterous South Asian family. I also write a funny parenting column called SAMOSAS AND MAPLE SYRUP for The Toronto Star, Canada's largest daily newspaper. I live in Tor ...more
    “Sometimes there were no words, only sunshine on your heart. Alhamdulilah.” 2 likes
    “Just remember to pack light. Dreams tend to shatter if you're carrying other people's hopes around with you.” 0 likes