Start by marking “Alan Cole Doesn't Dance (Alan Cole, #2)” as Want to Read:
Alan Cole Doesn't Dance (Alan Cole, #2)

Alan Cole Doesn't Dance

(Alan Cole #2)

Alan Cole is not a coward. Not since he stood up to his brother. Not since he let his friends Zack and Madison into his world. And definitely not since he came out at his school.

But Alan’s got a new host of problems to face. His biggest one: Ron McCaughlin. Ever since Alan revealed he’s gay, Ron has been bullying Alan with relentless fury. Yet Alan can’t tell his parents wh
Published October 9th 2018 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Alan Cole Doesn't Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alan Cole Doesn't Dance

Josiah
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
CvC, round two? Not quite, but Alan Cole Doesn't Dance does expand on certain themes from Alan Cole Is Not a Coward as the twelve-year-old moves deeper into his seventh-grade year at Evergreen Middle School. The students now know he's attracted to guys rather than girls, as does Alan's brother Nathan, but their parents remain in the dark. Alan's father has backed down a bit on his tyranny, and Nathan no longer bullies Alan, but home life is still tense as Alan's father awaits a promotion at work ...more
Kristel
“You know what a good friend said to me once?”
“What?”
“He said, I’d rather have a hard time being myself than an easy time being somebody else.”
“Whoah.”
“Yeah. You’re being yourself, and that’s what matters.”

Alan made me cry. He did it again with his innocence and good nature and his courage to be himself without having to endure bullism. Standing for himself and for all the people that don’t have the strength to do it. Defeating evil with kindness, with his art, one step at a time. To see the dif
Stacey
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an advance read copy of this book. It was fantastic!

This is the follow-up to the first Alan Cole book (Alan Cole is Not a Coward). Now that Alan is “out” to his entire school, he’s dealing with the aftermath: bullying, uncertainty, understanding friends who don’t quite “get it,” and a new mysterious kid who may or may not hate him. Not to mention that Alan’s former bully brother may or may not still be a bully, and Alan’s parents still don’t know he’s gay. Oh, and Dad’s
Brittany
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, middle-grade
Alan Cole reminds me a bit of Nate from the Better Nate than Ever books and that’s a really good thing. His family is still kind of the worst and I’ll never understand that dynamic and a world in which twelve year old boys have fights and use words such as “hypercritical” and “gall” feels wholly unauthentic, but Alan’s ultimate message of fighting war with kindness wins every time.
Shanna Rogers
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was so fortunate to be able to read an early copy of this book-and even in its infancy it was fantastic! But when I got my advance reader copy, I was even more impressed. Great follow-up to ALAN COLE IS NOT A COWARD.
Kristin Crouch
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Eric Bell for providing an eARC to #collabookation for review.
I'm going to start by saying if you haven't read Alan Cole is Not a Coward yet - do it. Like, stop reading this review and get a copy of Alan Cole is Not a Coward. That's your priority. I'll wait.
So now that you've done that, and read it, you're welcome. And now that Alan and his brother are ok, the family unit is working to be less dysfunctional, Alan has supportive friends, and he's admitted to his school (and crush)
Laura Gardner
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s #worldkindnessday and I’m only 20 pages from finishing this gem of a book that’s all about the power of kindness. I simply love it and I am a little sad it’s about to end. ❤

#AlanColeDoesn’tDance is the second book in this underrated but AWESOME series about a kid who is bullied for being gay and still manages to see the best in everyone, including his tormentor. I just adored the first book by #EricBell and I have quite a few students who did, too. Here are the strengths of this series:
Elaine
Alan Cole is an out gay middle schooler. Out at school, but not with his parents. Alan’s dad is determined to “make a man,” out of Alan, and one of his ideas is to pair Alan with his boss’s foul daughter. This is the sequel to Alan Cole is not a Coward. The first one was better as it included fewer implausible story elements such as his parents not knowing (if he’s out at school, SOMEONE is going to tell his parents -- hello Facebook), and Alan’s over-the-top macho dad who is somewhat Uncle Durs ...more
abi
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtqiap
eric bell bashing me over the head: “odin thompson is gay”
me in the corner: “i know”

i actually think i enjoyed this one more than the first book, but i’m just a little bit outside the intended audience to enjoy it as much as i could. alan seems like a sweet kid though and i’m glad he tried to tackle bullying on an even larger scale in this book. he’s a way more courageous 12 year old than i ever was.
Mădălina
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading about Alan's new journey and it was really funny how yesterday's enemies are today's allies. Also, I liked the fact that Alan and his friends grew up a little bit since the previous book. Quite a refreshing read, I could say. Totally made my boring Monday a little bit more fun and intriguing.
Barb
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I seriously could not lift this down.
This book is wonderful. Anyone who is being or has been bullied should read this.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if this ends up being on a school reading list.
I wish people could just be accepted for who they are and get along. I cheered Alan as he tried to find a way to make this happen. Alan Cole rocks!
Sharon
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! The power Alan finds in himself to step up to bullies, defend his friends, and stand up for who he really is and his beliefs is heart-warming and inspiring. Focusing on kindness and the true identity of friendship and family, with lots of humor and great character personalities, Alan Cole Doesn't Dance follows the path of finding your identity in true middle-school style.
Ellie
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best book I have ever read. Somehow Eric Bell catches the emotions and hardships that any bullied kid is feeling perfectly. Its breathtaking, emotional and all around an outstanding read. I 100% recommend it.
Chad Lucas
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
More humour and heartbreak and the most adorably awkward junior-high flirting ever.
Valerie Nelan
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
This is an amazing sequel to Bell’s debut novel. Alan is just as brave as before, and we see how his honesty and ability to stay true to himself affects him and those around him. Highly recommend!!
Rose Marie
rated it it was ok
Mar 08, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

Alan Cole (2 books)
  • Alan Cole Is Not a Coward (Alan Cole, #1)
“(I)f you're going on about changing the world, you need to know what you're doing. Or else you'll change it for the worse.” 0 likes