Start by marking “The Forgotten Ones” as Want to Read:
The Forgotten Ones

The Forgotten Ones

A spellbinding novel about an unspeakable secret that could destroy a family, from the New York Times bestselling author of Finding Emma.

Elle is a survivor. She’s managed to piece together a solid life from a childhood of broken memories and fairy tales her mom told her to explain away bad dreams. But weekly visits to her mother still fill Elle with a paralyzing fear she c
Audio CD
Published April 1st 2018 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Forgotten Ones, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sherry LaJaunie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Anne Brown No, I don’t think it was. David intended to ask Marie about it when she recovered from her physical injuries but by then she was refusing to talk and…moreNo, I don’t think it was. David intended to ask Marie about it when she recovered from her physical injuries but by then she was refusing to talk and was upset if David came close to her. Charlie was flagged down by Gertie after the girls had already fallen. Marie herself cannot remember.(less)

Kendall
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"There is never enough time. Never"

The Forgotten Ones is a compelling and heart-breaking novel that will suck your heart up into a million little pieces.

Oh my goodness Steena Holmes thanks to you I was glued to this on my couch all day on Sunday in my pajamas. Warning everyone... once you pick this up... forget all the plans you have for the day!!

Steena Holmes explores a novel about love, loss, and the heart-ache that mental illness can endure on a family.

Elle is a nurse who works at a hospital
Carrie
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Forgotten Ones by Steena Holmes is a compelling contemporary story with a touch of mystery to it. The book is mainly told from the point of view of two of the characters Elle and David. There are also flashes back into the past that are done by the stories that David tells of those days.

The only family that Elle had ever known was her mother who is struggling with her mental health. With the help of a caregiver Elle has been able to go to school and get a job working at the hospital which ha
sue
I really thought I had some books that were my best of this author........
until this one.

I have sat on this review for a couple of days, I needed to come clear with my thoughts.

This hit home to me, this brought out emotions in me that I didn't expect. I had someone say "don't you think some of what happened with David a bit far fetched?"

Have you ever loved someone so much that you would keep they're secrets? I have heard and read in newspapers and on media and its even been on past live news
Michelle
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
Elle and her best friend Brennley work at the same hospital together. Brennley has become attached to one of her patients. He's a grouchy old man named David and he is dying of cancer. No one ever comes to visit him and this breaks her heart. He is estranged from his daughter and granddaughter so she convinces him to write them a letter. To her surprise his granddaughter just happens to be Elle.

Elle is rocked by the news because her mother told her that her grandparents died before she was born
ABookwormWithWine
⭐⭐⭐💫 / 5 rounded up.

First of all, can I just mention how beautiful the cover of this book is?! And let me tell you, it is even prettier in person!

The Forgotten Ones by Steena Holmes is mainly told from 2 perspectives, Elle and a man named David. Elle is working as a nurse when she finds out her grandfather is on his deathbed and wishes to meet her. A grandfather she thought was dead. Cue the crazy! Her grandfather has a big secret to tell about their family, and he wants to tell the story to El
Tammy
I am completely blown away by The Forgotten Ones. I don't want to say too much about the story so I don't spoil it for others who MUST read this book! I read the story in one sitting, my mind racing through all different scenarios. Steena Holmes totally drew me in, spun me around and left me with a serious book hangover!
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Apr 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2018
The Forgotten Ones is the first book I have read by Steena Holmes and I can't say that this was an enjoyable experience.

It's a hard thing writing a review without spoiling the story, especially since the things that frustrated me the most are events that I can't write about. I will say this, I felt really, really sorry for Elle's mother. She's definitely the victim in this story and I was furious that her father didn't do more for her. Speaking of her father. David should be ashamed of what he
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

Truth be told, I’ve been ready to greet death for a while now. But there’s a difference between greeting death and accepting it.

They say life flashes before your eyes when you’re about to die. I tend to believe the memories of the life you miss surround you until that’s all you see.

I guess in the end… you start thinking about the beginning.

I look at Mom in shock. The disdain in her voice is unexpected. Like finding out the sweet little puppy you adopted is really a snarling, ankl
Rhonda Ruff
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Omg! What a book! A granddaughter visits a dying grandfather she never knew she had! Secrets twists and turns on every page! I could not read this fast enough! Just when you think you had some of it figured out another twist is thrown In! I will be thinking about this book for awhile! After I take a few breaths that is!
Amy
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Are secrets in books ever not interesting?! If a blurb even alludes to secrets from the past I’m adding it to Mount TBR and from the very first chapter I had a feeling that I would like The Forgotten Ones. Spoiler alert, I was right! This was a super addictive, engaging read from an author who really knows how to draw the reader in, pulling you in closer and closer until you aren’t putting the book down until the truth is revealed.

This is told from dual perspectives, Elle and David. Elle’s chapt
Sherri Thacker
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Hard to write a review on this one. Mental illness is a real thing I know but I got “lost” in this book about 3/4 in. It kept me interested until then.
Heidi
To me, it’s always the sign of a good book when it evokes a range of strong emotions. The Forgotten Ones certainly managed to do that! One minute I was on the edge of my seat, biting my nails in shock and trepidation, the next I wanted to fling the book across the room in anger and horror. There were also many teary moments as the characters live through horrible ordeals, and some frustrating ones due to secrets, secrets, SECRETS! I wanted to yell at some of the characters and simply shake the t ...more
Shalini
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing thrilling book; it kept me gripped till the end. Just 3 main characters, their memories and secrets with one granddaughter caught in the center of it all, wanting to know the truth. But what is truth?

A grandfather David who is dying, his version of the past, his view of the truth?

A mother Marie, an artist with mental health problems, identity disorder, paints from her traumatised past, unwilling to reveal her childhood, her color of the truth?

A helper/friend of family Grace who k
Sue
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steena Holmes has once again given her readers an unforgettable story that will keep them turning pages until the end. Warning - don't make any plans for the day that you start reading this book because you won't put it down until the last page is read.

Elle is a nurse and grew up in a dysfunctional family. Her mother has mental illness and Elle has worried about taking care of her mom for her whole life. Elle has been told that she has no other family - that her grandparents died before she was
Susan Peterson
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Forgotten Ones is an utterly compelling book, as startling family secrets are unraveled piece by piece. Elle is a nurse, and her family has always consisted of just her and her mother...until the day she discovers that her grandfather, a man she thought was dead, is a patient at her hospital. He starts telling her stories, stories her mother says are lies...but Elle doesn’t know who to believe. This story is haunting, full of unexpected revelations; a story of love, and madness, and a man wh ...more
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ehbooklover, margaret
Shelves: canadian, suspense
4.5 STARS - The Forgotten Ones is a compelling, complex and haunting family drama that has a wonderful tension throughout, well-drawn characters and emotionally charged issues such as tragedy, loss, secrets and a family dealing with generations of mental illness. Steena Holmes has set her story within her childhood hometown of Kincardine, Ontario and I enjoyed the local touches she sprinkled throughout the story.

This was a highly addicting read as Holmes slowly unravels the secrets of this compl
Bette Crosby
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful until the very last page. Forget thinking you will know the outcome, because you won't. I didn't either. Steena Holmes is a master at finding the inner core of a dysfunctional family and creating a story that is filled with both tension and pathos. Highly recommended.
Ari
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 mind=fucked stars

One of the biggest things that this book forced me to ask was “Can a parent not recognize his own child?”

The Forgotten Ones by Steena Holmes is a powerful novel. Allow me to be cliched and say that from the very first page it had gripped me, and forced me into the mystery it was weaving- slowly and steadily. This is the first book I’m reading by Holmes, and I have to say, she’s a very compelling author. It was very evident from the first page that this book was masterfully w
Deborah Blanchard
"I guess in the end, you start thinking about the beginning." " Love isn't always pretty or clear cut. It can't be wrapped in a nice little box and presented with a bow. Sometimes it's ugly and hurtful and does more damage than good." "Family is everything." These are a few of my favorite quotes in this book. This book is heart wrenching and I had to wait for the tears to stop so that I could write this review. This is a book about family drama, loss and mental illness. It also encapsulates so m ...more
Barbara White
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A haunting novel about dark secrets and untreated mental illness. I read this slowly to enjoy the gradual reveal of what really happened before Elle was born, and I'm glad I did, because the story is still marinating in my brain… Wow.
Lesley
Jul 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not for me because this was predictable and too much did not make sense. Wont go into detail because it is spoilers but read other reviews and see how heartfelt and wonderful others think it is.

Pamela Scott

This book started off really well and I thought I was onto a good thing.

Then things sort of started to go downhill.

I loved the blurb of the book and was looking forward to reading it. The book opens well. So many questions are raised in the first few chapters. Why does David feel so guilty? Why is his daughter determined to pretend he doesn’t exist? What can have been so terrible? I was literally speeding through the pages.

The story moves back and forth
Laurie
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“There is never enough time. Never."
An intense family secret is the theme of this moving, heartwrenching novel.
A young woman amazingly finds her grandfather in the very same hospital where she works as a nurse. She had been told he was dead from the time she was young and now on his deathbed, he has a story to tell to try to right the wrongs of years passed.
I loved and savored this book of love, mental illness, and family.
The details and writing of this story are amazing and I believe this is S
Susan Hampson
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Elle had led a pretty sheltered childhood remembering her mother playing with her as a best friend would and telling her stories. She wasn’t surrounded by family, being told that they were either dead or had left. That is the thing about being told where you came from and about family that you never met, you may never know if what you hear is the truth. For Elle a whole new unbelievable world was about to unravel but which is real?
Oh wow this is a pretty amazing story that you just fall deeper i
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars
Well written with well-developed characters, this was a hard-hitting story that explored the buried secrets of a broken family. The story included some very heavy subject matter, including miscarriage and mental illness, which were sensitively handled. Weaving together themes of grief, regret and death, the novel had a dark tone with a emotionally triggering storyline.

While this book was marketed as a psychological thriller, I would personally consider it to be more of a dark contempor
Judy Collins
An engrossing look at inside mental illness. A haunting story of one man's struggle between his strong love for his mentally ill wife while at the same time trying to protect his daughter, and others around her. Now a dying man is full of painful secrets, regrets and seeks redemption. To write the wrongs.

Highly recommend the audiobook! Beautifully rendered. Angela Dawe and Arthur Morey provided an award-winning performance. I was drawn into this web of secrets and read in one sitting. Stenna Ho
Christine Nolfi
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A gripping portrayal of a family’s dark secrets that will keep you guessing until the very end.
Debbie
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-version
The Forgotten Ones is compelling family drama with a thriller edge that had me turning each page with anticipation. The writing, the words, the emotion…GAH….I flippin loved it all. Talk about layers! Even the layers had layers.

Keep in mind; things were different in 1950’s rural America. Family history, mental illness and unsavory events were hidden, pushed to the far corners of an unused closet, never to be brought out again. What happened in the family, stayed in the family. It was a simpler t
Brittany
May 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Suze Lavender
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Elle loves her mother very much, but she also worries about her. Marie isn't mentally stable and Elle knows her mother had a difficult childhood. She tries to be there for her mother as much as she can. When she finds out Marie lied to her about her parents and Elle's grandfather is still alive instead of dead, Elle is shocked. She decides to visit him before it's too late. Her grandfather isn't what she expected and his stories are terrible. Are they true or do they consist of more lies? Elle c ...more
52 weeks, 52 books: Week 2018.15: The Forgotten Ones 2 24 Apr 21, 2018 10:45PM

• Where the Sweet Bird Sings
  • Leave of Absence
  • A Museum Adventure (Library Mouse #4)
  • Glass Boys
  • Jaded: Zane and Honor (Cliffside Bay #3)
  • Dancing with the Sun
  • Most Anything You Please
  • Every Single Secret
  • Death of a Unicorn
  • Someone Knows
  • The Burden of Truth (Gillian Jones Mystery #2)
  • Black Feathers
  • A Bird Without Wings
  • Undercurrents (Summer Westin Mystery #3)
  • The Promise Between Us
  • Between Gods: A Memoir
  • Dark Site (Sam Dryden, #3)
  • Forever's Promise (Bayou Dreams #4)
NY Times & USA Today Bestselling Author - Steena is the author of the heart wrenching Finding Emma series.

The Word Game was included in the Top 20 Novels to be Written by Women in 2015 by Good Housekeeping.

Her latest novel - The Word Game won the 2015 USA Books Award for Best Fiction and her novel, The Memory Child was a finalist in the same category.

Steena Holmes grew up in a small town in C
“How do you say goodbye to someone you barely know?” 2 likes
“Except no one can ever understand cancer. I learned that with Gertie. Cancer is a nasty disease.” 0 likes