Start by marking “Prem Purana: Mythological Love Stories” as Want to Read:
Prem Purana: Mythological Love Stories

Prem Purana: Mythological Love Stories

Stories of love and extraordinary devotion

No one is untouched by love, not even devas and asuras, kings and nymphs. And when they face life’s unexpected tribulations, their love also undergoes trials. Read how Ganesha took myriad forms to please Riddhi, Siddhi and Buddhi, how Ravana shared an unbreakable bond with his true love, Mandodari and how Nala and Damayanti’s rela
Published September 30th 2017 by Penguin Random House India

To ask other readers questions about Prem Purana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prem Purana

Start your review of Prem Purana: Mythological Love Stories
Banaja Prakashini
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read the full review at- http://banajaprakashini.in/blog/2017/...

The hindu mythology has been one of the most interesting topics for readers around the country, the sole reason, the stories are fascinating and the way they change from one region to another in terms of folklore and tradition, embarks the reader in a journey to start afresh.

Such is the book Prem Purana by Usha Narayanan.
The best thing that the book serves is, the synchronization, the book speaks of events that are written in the s
Rubina
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
In an age when mythology is written, rewritten according to the perception of a writer's viewpoint, it's a miracle that we still remember Krishna or Rama as they were perceived during the times of Mahabharata and Ramayana. It's becoming equally difficult to distinguish between the original and the perceptions. Mythology is no more true to its form and changing rapidly according to the need of the hour. And it's not wrong to do so. Clinging to age-old values is not possible if one has to inculcat ...more
D.R. Downer
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I'm an agnostic, who detests reading love stories; and I'm reviewing a book based on the love stories of gods (broadly...more or less). Hence, some parts of this review might end up offending the believers (you shouldn't be though if you're a rational person...not that I care anyway). So, if you are one of those who can't even digest a little fun banter on your Gods, stop right here. Go and read one of those thousands of years old comic books instead.

The above information was for tho
Sahil Pradhan
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, myth
first of all, I would like to thank the author for providing me with her beautiful work and for giving me an opportunity to give an honest opinion on the book. mythology is a critical subject and more critical is it's retelling as if you do not know the tale properly and cannot narrate it in a gripping way then the reader would not find it interesting. I feel it is just a cup of tea for Usha Narayanan for retelling mythology.
the author has penned down the book with such seer perfection that I wo
Geeta Nair
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Three characters from three realms, diverse in nature yet what makes them a part of this book titled ‘Prem Purana’ is that their heart beats with love that is neither frivolous not soaked in lust. In fact it is pure love that drives their thoughts and actions. Split into three sections ‘Prem Purana’ deals with Ganesha’s love life, Mandodari’s love and Damyanti’s riddle. While Ganesha’s attempts at wooing Brahma’s daughters brought a smile to the face, Ravana’s attitude towards Mandodari and his ...more
Devika Fernando
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Usha Narayanan’s "Pradyumna" was the book that prompted me to give the Indian mythology genre a try for the first time, and I haven’t regretted it. Enjoying the book a lot, I read "The Secret of God’s Son" as well. Now I’ve given this book a chance, and while it is different – as it contains three stories with several episodes/chapters each, instead of one novel – it also has many of the author’s trademarks: captivating scenes, vivid descriptions, mythological references, and fascinating charact ...more
Vasudha Rao
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a delightful read of love stories. The tales are of love amongst Gods & Godesses, among Rakshasas & among Rajas & apsaras.The stories narrate the longing & the passion in a subtle manner without sounding lustful.And these stories describe how love can strengthen the relationships & make the couples stronger !

There are three stories. One is about Ganpati & his three wives. Ganpati takes on different forms to win over each of his wives & how ! This makes for very interesting reading.
Sadhuvi
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I grew up listening to stories about Gods Rama, Krishna, Pillaiyar and Murugan from my Grandma..These folk lores were my bedtime stories and I still remember the way my grandma explained them..So, when I started reading this book, it was like reliving my childhood days..

I liked reading about the mythological characters and also a different point of view by the Author makes this book interesting to read..In this book, Author talks about the love stories of Lord Ganesha, Mandodari (Ravana’s wife)
Kavita
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Prem Purna is a collection of three mythological love stories. The concept or the premise of the book itself piqued my curiosity. To read the romantic stories of the divine beings that we worship and adore and are always kept on a pedestal was a premise that really sparked interest.
Personally I have grown up reading and listening to a lot of mythological stories but always these stories are narrated with an attitude of prayer and respect but the romantic angle is never as such explored. As the
Sundari Venkatraman
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I saw the book cover for the first time on Facebook, I wanted to grab a copy immediately. The cover is simply beautiful and glossy and in a beautiful shade of turquoise background with a pair of lovers from puranic times—perfect for the latest book by Usha Narayanan, I must say.

There are three love stories—the first one about an all-time-favourite God, the second about a rakshasa and the third about a human being. I don’t know if it had been planned this way, but it is a perfect combo of ta
Reshma Ranjan
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love reigns, not amidst just us mortals but beyond!
Who doesn’t love listening to the mythological stories? The stories my grandmother told me left an imprint in my young mind then. I will be lying if I say I don’t miss those storytelling sessions. Even today, the images and the beautiful world of Deva’s and Asura’s are still very vivid in my mind. And thanks to Usha Narayanan I got that slice of stories back.
This book has some amazing collection of stories of prema, romance, and love in mytholog
Chittajit Mitra
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book is a collection 3 love stories which involve Hindu mythological characters. The first is Ganesha’s Brides, the story is about Ganesha’s quest to win over the hearts of RIddhi, Siddhi & Buddhi the 3 daughters of Brahma & Laxmi. Mandodari is about the pious love story between Ravana the learned king of Lanka & Mandodari. How she never left her husband’s side & tried to warn him again & again to bring him on dharma’s path. The last is Damayanti, her love story with Nala the king of Nishada ...more
Srinidhi Kasagar
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thank you madam for writing our purana based love stories which I guess is first of its kind. Very nice narration of three different stories. In Ravana Moandodari story two circumstances which are never heard. One, Sita the daughter of Mandodari and second, Hanuman bringing the secret weapon from Mandodari’s chamber to Rama to kill Ravana. Are these taken from Valmiki Ramayana Mam? At least I have not heard them narrated such a way in other Ramayana books.
A.
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another smash hit delivered by Author Usha Narayanan. Mythology is a difficult genre to write and to read too. But when Usha Narayanan writes, it is easy to read and understand which makes reading mythology enjoyable.
Prem Purana consists of three love stories of three well-known mythological characters about whom, we have read a lot but have never known their romantic part of life.

Though all the stories are mythological and are part fiction, I loved reading the different facets of Lord Ganesh
Jasleen Kaur
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is very different and unique. It surely has the power to attract a reader who likes the kind of genre it falls in. It does justice to its title but taking the reader on a journey of such varied love stories which are not very famous but are still present and are powerful enough to take ones breath away.

You can read the complete review here:
Sudesna Ghosh
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant story telling! I leave most mythology books midway but this one was a beautiful change with romance, gods and goddesses, and lessons learnt.
Lata
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-2018
Romance is one of my favourite genres and so is mythology. Therefore, a mythological romance made me really excited about reading this book. And it has been a really good read.

The book contains three love stories. The first is about Ganesha and his three wives. It was a bit difficult to accept Ganesha trying to woo three girls at the same time. But, when you look at the deeper meaning of the words Riddhi, Siddhi and Buddhi, it all makes sense. After all, isn’t Ganesha the lord of these three ach
Wander Girl Life
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
As the name suggests, ‘Prem Purana’ is a book that comprises of three mythological love stories. This book portrays Gods and Deva’s in a different light, highlighting the tale of their passion, love, longing, wooing and betrayals, making them almost human. The theme of the book was quite intruding and I dived into reading it right away.
The first story is about the beloved elephant God Ganesha and his quest to marry Riddhi, Siddhi and Buddhi. The story is not only limited to their love story but
Sanika
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very refreshing stories.
Inderpreet Uppal
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Prem Purana is mythology and love, spiced with romance and royalty. A lot of love and lot of valour. The gods in heaven sure know how to woo their love and Usha has ensured that we understand it was not easy even for them either. “Stories of love and extraordinary devotion” is the description of the book and it is absolutely true.

I am not overly fond of reading mythology but when Usha came out with the book of gods in love I had to pick it. After reading Pradyumna, I knew this would be a treat a
Shilpi Chaklanobis
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Prem Purana by Usha Narayanan is a beautiful take on some of the love stories from Hindu mythology. Though I always start my reviews with plot and story theme, but I want to start this one with the cover image. Yes, the cover is so attractive and vibrant that the reader automatically gets interested in the book. The beautiful colour combination and art style make the cover a visual treat.
The theme of the book is love stories of three characters picked from Hindu Mythology. As a lover of mytholog
Sunita Saldhana
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Honestly, I found it difficult to write a review for this book, because it was at the same time both interesting and irritating.
I found it interesting because of all the titbits of fascinating information about the gods and their lives and their scheming that are little known. The author has obviously done a lot of research and there were times where I, a diehard fan of Indian mythology, went, “Oh! Is it? That is something I didn’t know!”
It was irritating because it brings home the fact that not
Vasudha Rao
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Shantala  (Shanaya Tales)
Originally Published on www.shanayatales.com

Prem Purana by Usha Narayanan is a collection of 3 short stories. The first story revolves around a much loved God – Ganesha (and his brides), the second one is the story of the widely feared demon king – Ravana (and Mandodari), and the third tale is of a well known mortal king – Nala (and Damayanti).

All 3 of these stories made for interesting reads, as they were informative while being entertaining. Now of-course, since I read a lot in the
Vaidehi Sharma
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book comprises of three different stories which are weaved in a common yarn, love.

It starts with the story of Elephant God and Brahma’s daughters. The way author has described the three daughters of Lord Brahma is commendable and the way she guide you through the story makes it something next to real.
The next one in the book comes up with another unusual pair, as kids we have heard different versions of Ramayana ( I’ve even heard sampaati’s version somewhere.) but here in this book a neglect
Arti
The cover is beautiful. It has a mythological feel to it. The stories are similar to the real ones and having not read mythology so much, I found the stories believable, maybe because she has not distorted the facts around the myths. The stories are fast paced.
The characters have been given humanly touch, even the conversations between them were so real. The emotions and feelings of the characters have been well described.
The extensive research done by the author is clearly visible in the stori
Chandresh YB
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
SHE-WHO-READS
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5/5 Stars!!
I am a total Mythology buff! The writing was very engaging coz the stories itself had so many unexpected twists. I really like to read about our God and Goddesses and their stories coz I feel that I can learn a lot from them. Their intentions of taking a mortal form(Avatara) is to make us, human beings learn and realise the true meaning of life on earth and all the hardships, vice and virtues that encompasses it. This book also entails of various such characters and stories which I h
Gayathiri Rajendran
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a delightful read with vivid descriptions and excellent command over the language.The characters in this book have been etched out very well.The emotions of the characters have been portrayed very well in this book.A wonderful read!
A Uplabdhee
Apr 25, 2020 rated it liked it
I really, really, really LOVED Prem Purana until it got a bit sexist, with girls wanting to sleep with the playboy Ravana(totally dismantling the fact that Ravana was an abuser, yes real original Ramayana). The writing is really flowy and metaphorical.

• Three Thousand Stitches: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Lives
  • The Krishna Key
  • The Oath of the Vayuputras (Shiva Trilogy, #3)
  • Time Stops at Shamli and Other Stories
  • The Secret of the Nagas (Shiva Trilogy #2)
  • The Immortals of Meluha (Shiva Trilogy, #1)
  • Before We Visit the Goddess
  • Can Love Happen Twice?
  • Train to Pakistan
  • The Nine-Chambered Heart
  • Menaka's Choice
  • You are the Best Wife
  • The Queen of Jasmine Country
  • Scion of Ikshvaku (Ram Chandra #1)
  • Vanara- The legend of Baali, Sugreeva and Tara
  • Sita's Sister
  • Raavan: Enemy of Aryavarta (Ram Chandra #3)
  • One Night at the Call Center
Usha Narayanan had a successful career in advertising, media and corporate communications before becoming a full-time author. She has written 'The Madras Mangler', a suspense thriller, and two romances, 'Love,Lies and Layoffs' (Harlequin) and 'Doctor Stalker Spy' (Juggernaut). Her mythological bestsellers from Penguin include 'Pradyumna: Son of Krishna', 'The Secret of God’s Son', 'Prem Purana' an ...more

News & Interviews