Start by marking “Stages of Grace” as Want to Read:
Stages of Grace

Stages of Grace

Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance...

Published January 9th 2014 (first published April 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Stages of Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stages of Grace

Gareth Young
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grace is a beautifully rendered character whose life is changing in increments around her. There's no "flash of lightning" moment, just each stage in a continually evolving life, realistically conveyed through Miss Heywood's sensitive prose. Stages of Grace could've become bogged down in the sadness of a love that breaks down and the loneliness that comes with it but, Grace is not a bitter character, her quiet strength guides her. She's a warm heart in the chilly Ohio landscape, following the po ...more
Amy Cox
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story! I loved the struggle and the monologue. A lot emotion and watching Grace find herself was captivating. She lived with Jon and they had such happy memories and loved each other but life happens And sometimes when things change it changes you. Grace and Jon both changed and when Jon couldn't handle how life had handed him a crappy hand he took it out on Grace. Whether he meant to or not and you could see the hurt and indecision in Grace while coming to terms with the fact that ...more
Keren Hughes
When Carey Heywood said she was looking for reviewers, I jumped at the chance. I have never read anything by her before but she came highly recommended by a friend. So it was a chance for me to meet a new author and be introduced to her world. I can tell you now, I am so very happy that I did. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have known what a fabulous author she was and what she would bring to my life in the form of Stages of Grace.

This book made such an impact on me for a couple of reasons, one becaus
Heather
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(This review can also be found on my blog The (Mis)Adventures of a Twenty-Something Year Old Girl).

When I first heard about Stages of Grace by Carey Heywood, I was definitely intrigued especially when the blurb mentioned something about a letter setting everything off. I had to kill my curiosity, so I decided to join the blog tour for this book. I'm super happy I had the chance to read this book.

Grace's relationship with her boyfriend of 4 years is ending. Grace knows this but doesn't want to ad
Elle
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
LINK TO REVIEW: http://storiesandswag.blogspot.com/20...

In college, I minored in Psychology and when I saw in the synopsis where this story tied in to The Five Stages of Grief, I was intrigued. Carey Heywood brings a new twist to the rise and fall of a relationship.

Stages of Grace introduces you to Grace, a twenty-something who is stuck in a relationship rut with her long-term boyfriend, Jon.

The story is told through her point of view and is mostly done through Grace’s inner monologue. I typical
Kendall {Book Crazy}
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, blog-tours
I have read one other book by this author and I liked that one so I was really looking forward to reading this one! I was really looking forward to seeing where it went and to connect with the characters! This book really was amazing! I wasn't really sure what to expect when I started reading as the synopsis is pretty vague but after reading the book you realise how well it actually suits the book! Stages of Grace is a wonderful book about a range of emotions and about finding love again! I foun ...more
Jenni
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a story of a woman who was in a 3 year loving relationship until things go sour. Grace still being in love with Jon thinks it’s a phase that will pass one day. Watching Grace put up with the way Jon treats her and how she let him walk all over her, had me climbing the walls of frustration. During the stage of Denial I understood her hopes were for things to get better, I was just hoping she would have grown a backbone and voiced her feelings instead of going through each day walking on ...more
Kirke
Apr 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
*I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review*

Once in a while you read a book and when you finish it you wonder what have I just read? Not that it's a complete absurd story, it's just the opposite. It's nice and mellow. There are some sad parts, but there also fun and happy parts. A nearly perfect balance between everything. No extreme highs or lows.

Stages Of Grace is a couple of months taken out of a woman's life. She could have been anybody, at any point in her life, so w
Miranda Whore
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I didn't really know what to expect from Heywood since I had never read anything by her in the past, but Stages of Grace stole my heart from the beginning. Heywood did a fantastic job making Grace a relatable character. I absolutely love the snarky voice inside her head, sense of humor, and the amount of courage she has to take life by the horns. She became continent in a life that wasn't what she wanted, instead of taking the easy route she made a tough ...more
Helen
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Facing up to to being in a tough life situation takes courage. And acting on it to make a big change in your life takes even more. Carey Heywood's Stages of Grace will take you through a journey that starts off with the main character, Grace, in one of those tough situations. I thought the concept of the book was unique and compelling as soon as I heard about it: a contemporary romance in which Grace journeys through the five classic stages of mourning as her relationship with her long-term boyf ...more
Disincentive/Feta
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
On my blog

Stages of grace catched my eye with a beautiful cover. It gives me kind of calm feeling and I felt it while reading the book, in spite of all the emotions that were going through me. It was the weirdest feeling ever.

Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance are stages after loss of someone important. Grace is going though them, but she's missing feelings she had rather than a person. She's ending a long-time relationship that was happy at the beginning but then got toxic.

I did
Rachael Orman
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will admit the first chapter was really hard for me to get through and I put it down a few times because I kept getting frustrated with Grace (the main character) because she was letting her boyfriend (Jon) walk all over her and treat her horribly. And I don’t like DoorMats.. I like my women to have a backbone. But then we got to the next chapter, I couldn’t put it down. Grace started standing up for herself and putting Jon in his place for being so rude to her.

Watching their relationship chan
Abbey Davies
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From page 3 I was hooked. The depiction of the characters are amazing. There is not a part of you that can not feel part of the scenes, emotions. Beautifully written and supplying of emotions. I went from pissed off to "You Go Girl," to excited/ fearful to happiness. As an avid reader and Author myself, I am impressed with this author. Her writing style is fluid, captivating and wanting for more. Grace is just that...Grace. She is normal like any other girl and the plot is so real to so many. I ...more
Jennifer Benson
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given a preview copy of this book and Loved it! Grace is a wonderful heroine who does what we most of us do. We want to make the people we love happy and when they hurt we want to do what we can to make them feel better. When Grace's boyfriend, Jon, loses his job she supports him, but when the support and love is not returned Grace starts to question whether she should stay with him. When the opportunity presents itself for Grace to get away and spend time away from Jon she has the chance ...more
Nikki Mahood
I loved this book, having got a preview copy from Carey (as a fan not a reviewer) I delved in last night and finished it this evening...Of all three of Careys books I think Grace is my favourite heroine, she could so easily be a victim and yet she just gets on with it, even though life has thrown her a large share of lemons she continues to make Lemonade! The story is a beautiful tale of relationships, from crumbling ones to newly forged fledgling ones, written beautifully so that you really fee ...more
Amy Surrey
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stages of Grace was an awesome, heartwarming story that I could not get enough of. Grace was a character that most of us could relate to. The story follows Grace though some huge life changing events. As her relationship in trouble she is faced with some decisions that most of us have faced. I like the fact that this story was down to earth and realistic. This is the type of book that once you start reading it you can't stop. I give this book a 5 star rating all the way.
Renee
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! This book hit home for me~
The first relationship of Grace & Jon to Grace & Ryan, she made a good decision in the end & I'm so glad she had her grandma & her grandma has Grace. I love Ryan, he's such a sweet gentleman. Loss, Love & so much Heart in these characters!
Great easy read with an awesome ending-
So glad I picked this one up so worth it!
Emilee
This was a good book that has the potential to be great. It needs an editor, not from grammatical errors but because things are sometimes repeated. It doesn't have a lot of dialogue between characters but you still get a feel for each person. It is a lovely story, heartbreaking and heartwarming. It's different from the normal "love story" and for that it was refreshing.
Amanda
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was honestly surprised on how much I enjoyed this book. She covered the all the different stages you go through and then Grace coming back on top. This book is a must read for sure.
Carey Heywood
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine
I am so excited to share Grace's story with you all. I hope you love reading it as much as I loved writing it. I will keep you posted as to the release date.

Carey
Tia
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was alright but I found it extremely boring for some reason. I also don't think things were finished with Jon, she should have been able to find better closure with him before being with Ryan.
Sarah {Literary Meanderings}

♥ Find my reviews here: Literary Meanderings

- - -

Synopsis from Goodreads: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance...

When facing death a mourning period is to be expected. But what if it's not a person but a relationship that dies? Grace and her boyfriend Jon have been together for three years. They live together and have shared many beautiful memories. Those memories are what keep Grace from admitting Jon has changed and is no longer the man she fell in love with.

Afraid of being alone
Dos
Jun 29, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"My eyes flick up to his. There he is, sitting on my bed, flirting with me. I have no idea what to do or say. His gaze is too much for me. I look down and nervously worry at one of my fingernails. What's wrong with me? Why can’t I function around him?"

This passage pretty much fits with the entire book. The character never knows what to say or doesn't behave her age. If she had been 13, her reactions would be authentic, but according to the book she is 25. On Heywood's novel "A Bridge of Her Own
Leary
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Stages of Grace is a story that follows the main character, Grace, through the five stages of grief as she goes through the process of deciding whether or not to end her three year relationship with her boyfriend Jon.

Denial
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance

These stages are central to the entire story. At first I had a hard time connecting with Grace. As we being learning about what has transpired in her relationship with Jon over the last year I found myself thinking that she was a bit weak an
Shay
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished Stages of Grace and I really liked it. Grace is a sweet girl and just basically going through the motions at a time in her life and she is unhappy. She is in a relationship with Jon and he hasn't been very nice to her. He lost his job and has been stressed out. Things change and they are just strangers living together. He is verbally abusive in a way and disrespectful and Grace takes it and let's him do it. I can understand, she loves him and wants to make him happy but everythin ...more
Whitney- Lifestyle of the BNB
This story was full of heartbreak, love, and changes.

I found this book to be enjoyable, but slow at the beginning.

I hated seeing Grace's boyfriend treat her terrible like he did and my heart ached each time she had to go home. The shit she put up with on a day to day basis was enough to kill a woman. She was so strong and it was amazing to see her carefree in Florida.

I loved Ryan and how they instantly had a connection. He treated her as a woman should be treated and I'm not sure she knew how
Whitney Baer
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was full of heartbreak, love, and changes.

I found this book to be enjoyable, but slow at the beginning.

Daniela
Feb 09, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for an exciting book full of twists and drama... Skip this one, please.

I have given poor rates to book with unnecessary amounts of drama, but this one is ridiculous. Now, I'm not saying that I could write something better, but this is plain, flat, dull, etc.

I can't even say that it is a realistic book, because is not, magically Grace (a bland character) ends up having all her life figured up, which is quite annoying and UNREALISTIC. You will at least expect some difficulties..
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such an interesting take on the 5 stages of grief. The end of a relationship, especially after several years and living together is definitely the death of something and Heywood illustrates this so very well.

Personally the first chapter, Denial, was extremely hard for me to read, so much so that I almost gave up on the book. The story begins with Grace, who is in a psychologically abusive relationship and is in so deep that she isn't even aware of what's going on. As with the stages of grief, th
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book, wished for better editing

Carey Heywood can "knit" a story together with intriguing characters. At times, early on in the book, I wanted to throw my Kindle and yell at Grace.

The only thing missing was a better edit and proofread on the manuscript before it was published. Many missing commas and periods, especially in the dialogue. But I still loved this book and read it in one day.

• On Solid Ground (In Too Deep, #2)
  • Heart Breaths
  • Witch Hearts
  • Secret for a Song
  • The Mackenzie Legacy (The Athena Effect #2)
  • Shudder (Stitch Trilogy, #2)
  • Nightmare City
  • Paint Me Beautiful (A Duet, #1)
  • Take It All (Blinded by Love, #1)
  • Through Glass: The Dark (Through Glass, #1)
  • Camp Kiss (Camp Boyfriend, #0.5)
  • River Road (Sentinels of New Orleans, #2)
  • Falling Into Us (One More Night Trilogy, #2)
  • A Sliver of Hope
  • Silver Heart
  • Spiral
  • The Paradox of Vertical Flight
  • Wicked Needs (Wicked Bay, #5)