Start by marking “Luisa: Now and Then” as Want to Read:
Luisa: Now and Then

Luisa: Now and Then

At 32, Luisa encounters her 15-year-old self in this sensitive, bold story about self-acceptance and sexuality. Single, and having left behind her dream to become a renowned photographer, she is struggling to find out who she is and what she wants. In order to help and guide her younger self, she must finally face herself and her past. When Luisa finds herself attracted to ...more
Published June 20th 2018 by Humanoids, Inc. (first published May 4th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Luisa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Luisa

David Schaafsma
A queer romance (of sorts) by Carole Laurel, adapted by Mariko Tamaki. Luisa, living alone at 32, meets her 15 year old self and the focus is on sexuality and coming out and acceptance. But it's sweet, takes its time, and has a loveable cast of characters and some romantic intrigue to go with a side of facing that mother-daughter history.

Of course the time travel-identity story is familiar, played for laughs in Back to the Future, and I am reading Paper Girls where the girls meet themselves in
Erica

I enjoyed the art quite a bit and I liked what the story was trying to do, I just felt it was jerky and clunky. It didn't evoke the feelings in me I'd expected for a story about past self meeting with future self and both selves having some hard realizations.

Some of my dissatisfaction could be chalked up to translation. Despite this being adapted by Mariko Tamaki, the charm that may be present in the original production doesn't come across fluidly here.

We have this in the adult section
Julie Ehlers
Luisa is one of those books that makes me glad I started checking graphic novels out from the library instead of buying so many of them. This was fun and I liked the art, but it was a pretty standard coming-out story crossed with a fairly typical "what-would-your-younger-self-think-of-adult-you"/13 Going on 30–style plotline. I enjoyed reading it and I'm sure others would relate to it more than I did, but on the whole I don't think this is going to leave much of an impact on me.
Vanessa (splitreads)
I really liked the concept and art here, though some parts were a bit predictable or felt stilted/forced. It's a nice coming-of-age story with a time traveling twist. Overall, it was fun and I liked the ending.
Derek Royal
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A high-concept narrative. And intriguing. There are two or three parts that verge on the predictable, but otherwise, a strong work.
Kelly Hager
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the last book I got at ALA and the first one I read. I'm a new fan of graphic novels and this one sounded amazing.

It's incredibly specific (Luisa---at both ages---is someone who's not entirely sure who she is or what she wants) but I think it's also universal. Many of us can probably relate to the idea that we aren't who we thought we'd be when we became adults. Some of us have better lives, sure, but there are probably also major disappointments that our teenage self would have to cop
Rod Brown
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This gentle time travel fantasy is my favorite graphic novel of 2018 so far.

A thirtysomething woman opens the door to her apartment, comes face to face with her teenage self, and is appalled at what a mess she once was. The teenage girl sees the same door as opening onto a future that is unimaginably awful.

Maurel weaves a moving tale full of regrets, disappointments and self-discovery as both versions of Luisa struggle with their common dreams, realities and sexuality.

This book has the full
Kirsten
I wasn't too sure about this one as I was finishing it, but it's sort of blooming in my mind as I consider it. It's a fantastic example of a story that works better as a graphic novel than it would in any other medium.
Bananas
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, lgbtq, f-f
This was wonderful, both the story and the art.
Eszti
As we're really close to Budapest Pride, I think this was just a perfect choice. Luisa: Now and Then made its way to my hands at my workplace, and I started it solely because Mariko Tamaki's name was on the cover. It did not disappoint, however. The story is about a 33-year-old woman, Luisa, who lives in Paris, France, and one day her 15-year-old self visits her. It turns out they have a lot to talk about: acceptance, self-love and life among them, and I think they might teach us some things abo ...more
Ryan Mishap
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
A delightfully drawn tale that relates something many of us have probably wished: that we could go back in time to talk to our younger self, or the converse.

To say this plays out realistically is a complement to a story involving impossible fantasy, and what the Luisas learn about themselves is the very stuff of good fiction.
Grace
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
A heart-wrenching, beautiful piece of art about coming to terms with who you are.

15-year-old Luisa is catapulted into the future and is face to face with the her 32-year-old future self in 2013. Even at 32, Luisa is lost and both are neither able to recognize themselves in each other. Both characters are forced to reconcile the regrets of the past and the disappointment of the future, in order to speak their whole truths.

Luisa: Now and Then is a coming-of-age story about self-acceptance, loneli
Chelsey
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5

Art is phenomenal, I just felt the story felt a little bit cookie cutter.
Judaye
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
I found it to be formulaic with nothing interesting plugged into it. Maybe it was better in French.
Danica
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Sweet. Heart-warming. Funny. Sad.
Amory Blaine
"Just imagine... If you had a chance to talk to teen you... what would you say?"

Thirty-three-year-old Luisa is not the person her teenage self assumed she would be. She lives in Paris, sure, but it's in a small apartment inherited from an estranged aunt, photographing food to pay the bills, dating a string of men who always leave her feeling bored and trapped. She's come to terms with her disappointing adult life - until a fifteen-year-old version of herself miraculously appears at her apartment
Steph
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just got back from the ALA.
The author left early, Mariko Tamaki, so I missed the opportunity to get her autograph. But came home, curled up with her graphic novel, and fell in love with Luisa!
The art is stunning, and when the two Luisas begin to unravel, it's both frightening and heartbreaking. Their final struggle for identity leaves both Luisas with the courage to state, unapologetically, and embrace their shared identity.
I love the idea of being able to guide my younger self, and this graph
Claudia
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-time-favs
Amazing art style, great plot and lgbtq+ representation. Need I say more
Joseph
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good lord, this is a fabulous piece of work about regret and coming to accept yourself (in this case, literally, as 32-year-old Luisa meets her 15-year-old self).
Kelly
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Letters to My Teenage Self Meets Freaky Friday

(Full disclosure: I received a free e-ARC for review through Edelweiss. Trigger warning for homophobia.)

When the book's synopsis says that an adult Luisa "encounters" her fifteen-year-old self, I just assumed this meeting would be more metaphorical than anything else: Luisa rediscovers her old diaries, perhaps, or pens a letter to her younger self (a la Dear Teen Me ). But this encounter is more literal - and science fictiony - than that.

One evening
Katie Cat Books
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sexual preference. France. Graphic novel.

Story: In the beginning of the story we meet young teenager Luisa in the 90's. She has her Walkman and hops on a bus. But when the driver tells her to get off, she doesn't know where she is, and will soon realize she isn't sure when she is. Then we meet older Luisa in her 30's and it's close to modern day. She is at a cafe with her friend and the discussion comes up, what advice would you give your younger self. Little does she know, she's right around th
LeAnn Suchy
I like the idea of a teen self meeting her adult self, but this teen, Luisa, is so concerned about the fact that her adult self is single, in a small apartment, and doesn’t have a dream job. She consistently judges where her adult self is and I was getting annoyed, but then I started thinking back to what I thought I’d be.

Honestly, I had no clue what I’d be when I grew up. I had no idea what kind of job I wanted until I was a junior in college, so the job thing would probably just be a surprise
Noema
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review is for the English translation entitled Luisa, Now and Then. I liked it for many reasons, but in particular because the two primary themes do not fall into any serious tropes.

1. Time travel - this book does not fall into any tired tropes but plays gently with the question of the paradox. I would have liked more technical exploration of how 1994 Luisa ends up in a different timeline and what the repercussions of the two Luisas in 2013 are, but it wasn't that kind of book. The repercu
Ashley
Dec 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
An interesting premise, but too much suspension of disbelief. Yes, I know it's a fantastical premise to start with, but it made zero sense that Luisa wouldn't immediately recognise herself, that her friends from childhood wouldn't know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the kid sitting in front of them was their friend. One of those things you read where you're like, I know other people have a fundamentally different way of experiencing the world, but are any of them this wilfully stupid? I suppose ...more
Emma
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book about a woman in her thirties meeting her teenage self. It was an interesting look at identity, sexuality, acceptance and being brave enough to be yourself. I liked the ambiguity of whether it was really happening or whether it was more metaphorical, and the way in which Luisa's teen and adult selves began to turn into each other as they spent more time together and saw each other's point of view more and more. Going forward, adult Luisa will learn from her teen self, althoug ...more
P.
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
While these kinds of stories are enticing, it does feel like they're too big for just one book - the emotional arc it takes to resolve the issues that would bring your past self into your present are too complex. That said, this is one of the more successful ones I've read. It includes the weird humor of the situation and the fear/bewilderment it would create. Older Luisa was a little too prickly for me - she immediately goes on the defensive and antagonizes younger Luisa with no empathy - I gue ...more
Philip Shade
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
What would you tell a much younger version of yourself if you got the chance? What might that much younger version teach you about your contemporary self?

Not quite Closing Doors, not quite Freaky Friday, Luisa: Now & Then is beautifully illustrated book that takes on some of the questions about identity over time. How do you relate to your friends and your family, how do you view yourself and your relationships. What choices might you have made differently after talking to your older self. W
Kimberly
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
"What would you do if your teenage self showed up at your door?" That is a fucking terrifying thought. And I'm going to be thinking about it long after finishing Luisa: Now and Then.

I'm a little "graphic novel resistant" in terms of really getting what people see in them. But this time I decided to sit with the panels longer. Maurel's use of color gave me the feels -- mostly of the turmoil of the two (one?) protagonist.

Luisa would be a great, complex coming out story for a teen. Way better tha
Abby Johnson
This is a graphic novel with tons of adult/teen crossover appeal. When Luisa is approached by a teen version of herself, both Luisas have to figure out what's going on and how to get teen-Luisa back to her own time. But what is it like to meet a teen version of yourself? Or a grownup version of yourself? Does Luisa even like who she was/has become? This is a thought-provoking graphic novel about encouraging yourself, at any age, to be brave and accept who you are.
Goodreads Librari...: Could you please combine those books? 3 15 May 02, 2018 01:06AM
Carole Maurel worked as a graphist and animator for TV programs, before she published her first graphic novel Les Chroniques Mauves, a collective work about the lesbian community. She has since published several graphic novels, always a characteristic mix of feminine sensibilities and humor.