Start by marking “For the Union Dead.” as Want to Read:
For the Union Dead.

For the Union Dead.

First edition bound in green cloth with gold lettering. 8vo size, 72 pp. Book is VG. Spine is dusty and dull. Brief gift inscription dated 1964 on front fly, bookstore stamp on front pastedown page. Contents clean, tight, unmarked. No dj.
Hardcover
Published by Farrar Straus & Giroux (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about For the Union Dead., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For the Union Dead.

Start your review of For the Union Dead.
mwpm

death-steps on the crust,
where I must walk.
- Middle Age, pg. 7

* * *

I long for the black ink,
cuttlefish, April, Communists
and brothels of Florence -
everything, even the British
fairies who haunted the hills,
even the ch
Cameron
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first true exposure to Lowell. Enjoyed this quite a bit, especially “Jonathan Edwards in Western Massachusetts.”
John Pistelli
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The tag next to Robert Lowell's corpus in the museum of literary history designates him the most influential American poet of the 20th century's second half—less the founder of a school (Confessional Poetry) than an author the gravity of whose work legitimated anyone who followed him in abandoning the modernist impersonality extolled by Eliot and exploring instead the uncharted paths among personal experience, poetic form, and history.

Lowell's contemporaries and successors could have gotten this
Andrew Wright
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
These are poems that make me feel so close to their author that I find myself quite taken aback when I'm forced to remember "Robert Lowell is dead." I love the sense of horror and wonder in his poems. Lowell sees a world rife with trouble and pain and yet replete with beauty and wonder. Spiders are mentioned several times in the book, and yet they feel like omnipresent companions, reminders that nature permeates our lives and watches, immutable.
Darrel
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first reading of a book of poetry by Robert Lowell. I'd been familiar with his name for years and his books were often recommended to me. In this collection, Lowell covers a broad range of topics across these poems, namely social issues and historical subjects, while still a few other poems are of a confessional nature.

I'm glad that I took the time to finally request one of his many poetry collections from the library. I've now read it through more than a few times and have come to
Griffin Alexander
Read this the other day while bookselling. Truthfully, only the eponymous poem warrants these two stars--the rest, though with an occasional shining line, is so dated as to feel like its from another century of pure fuddy-duddy recitation in drawing room cambric. This is a man who is a contemporary of Jack Spicer/Berryman (this collection is from '64, 5 years after Spicer's After Lorca the same year as the first book of The Dream Songs, and nearly ten years after Howl, for some points of relativ ...more
Ross
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shed skin will never fit another wearer.

In For the Union Dead, Lowell balances the historical allusions and symbolism of modernism with the conversational intimacy and confessional style popular in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Highlights include the title poem, "Beyond the Alps," "The Old Flame," and "Caligula."
Ephraim Zamzer
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bzgift
nothing is on fire
Miguel Vega
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I really liked this collection and continues Lowell's confessional writings.
Perifian
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
A tad "problematic" in parts but it's still sort of Robert Lowell using his powers for good
Cooper Renner
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not really a four star book, except in comparison with most other 20th century poetry books! There is a tendency for the poems' parts to be more than their wholes, but Lowell's imagistic power is strong.
J. Alfred
Reminds me of a lighthearted (maybe) Wallace Stevens. Not really my style, but still mesmerizing sometimes. Has the effect of making me feel more stupid than usual.
Pete Cochran
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked most of the Poems. I will have to write down my favorite poem before I return it to the Library.
Brian
Jul 18, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Clearly a master poet, still... this set left me not as engaged as I like to be with poetry.
l.

• Calling a Wolf a Wolf
  • Heart's Needle
  • A Coney Island of the Mind: Poems
  • Pale Fire
Robert Lowell, born Robert Traill Spence Lowell, IV, was an American poet whose works, confessional in nature, engaged with the questions of history and probed the dark recesses of the self. He is generally considered to be among the greatest American poets of the twentieth century.

His first and second books, Land of Unlikeness (1944) and Lord Weary's Castle (for which he received a Pulitzer Prize